Migrating from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to MS SQL 7.0

I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase SQL
Anywhere 5.5.
I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.

The app has the following :
300 datawindows / datastores
Embedded SQL in about 100 events /  functions.

The Database has the following:
50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys
NO stored procedures or triggers.

I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers.

Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration
process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows!

I have already migrated the database through the Microsoft utility. It did
not create indexes or foriegn keys. I assume that I will have to do this
manually.

Thanks,
Andy

0
Andrew

Part of it, you should be able to
1. pipeline all of your tables (including data) to MSSQL7
2. Use MSSQL's DTS Wizard to do the import (probably faster)

Depending on some syntax gotchas, I have done this before and it wasn't too
ugly.
Your mileage may vary....

"Andrew K" <klein@embryominc.com> wrote in message
> I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase SQL
> Anywhere 5.5.
> I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.
>
> The app has the following :
> 300 datawindows / datastores
> Embedded SQL in about 100 events /  functions.
>
> The Database has the following:
> 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys
> NO stored procedures or triggers.
>
> I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers.
>
> Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration
> process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows!
>
> I have already migrated the database through the Microsoft utility. It did
> not create indexes or foriegn keys. I assume that I will have to do this
> manually.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

0
cross
12/7/1999 2:23:59 AM
Andrew,

1. If your datawindows have taken advantage of *any* of the wonderful
features of the Watcom dialect of SQL, you'll have to give them a lobotomy.
This list includes the If/Then/Else expression, the List() aggregate
function, any of those great date conversion functions like Months(),
Days(), Seconds()...  None of these are available in MS SQL7.
2. Say buh-bye to declarative referential integrity.  All MS SQL offers is
trigger-based RI.
3. No Row-level triggers, only statement-level triggers.  So these have to
be rewritten to use the Inserted and Deleted virtual tables.  And no Before
execution triggers either, just After triggers.

In terms of power and flexibility from a developer standpoint, Transact-SQL
is a step backwards.

Paul Horan
VCI   www.twoplus.com
Springfield, MA

"Andrew K" <klein@embryominc.com> wrote in message
> I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase SQL
> Anywhere 5.5.
> I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.
>
> The app has the following :
> 300 datawindows / datastores
> Embedded SQL in about 100 events /  functions.
>
> The Database has the following:
> 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys
> NO stored procedures or triggers.
>
> I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers.
>
> Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration
> process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows!
>
> I have already migrated the database through the Microsoft utility. It did
> not create indexes or foriegn keys. I assume that I will have to do this
> manually.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

0
Paul

I've also be through the migration process from SQL AnyWhere to MS SQL 7,
and I also like the Watcom SQL dialect much more than Transact-SQL. But you
are not quite right about the date conversion functions. In MS SQL you can
use the DATEPART function.

Another thing to have in mind is that MS SQL 7 is MUCH faster than Sybase
SQL AnyWhere. If a table contains many records (> 100000) in SQL AnyWhere,
performance drops very much, especially when using INSERTs. In that case
I've found MS SQL 7 to be as much as 20-50 times faster !!

Finn Rasmussen,
HFR Consult
www.hfrconsult.dk

Paul Horan <paulh@NOSPAMtwoplus.com> wrote in message
> Andrew,
>
> 1. If your datawindows have taken advantage of *any* of the wonderful
> features of the Watcom dialect of SQL, you'll have to give them a
lobotomy.
> This list includes the If/Then/Else expression, the List() aggregate
> function, any of those great date conversion functions like Months(),
> Days(), Seconds()...  None of these are available in MS SQL7.
> 2. Say buh-bye to declarative referential integrity.  All MS SQL offers is
> trigger-based RI.
> 3. No Row-level triggers, only statement-level triggers.  So these have to
> be rewritten to use the Inserted and Deleted virtual tables.  And no
Before
> execution triggers either, just After triggers.
>
> In terms of power and flexibility from a developer standpoint,
Transact-SQL
> is a step backwards.
>
> Paul Horan
> VCI   www.twoplus.com
> Springfield, MA
>
> "Andrew K" <klein@embryominc.com> wrote in message
> > I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase
SQL
> > Anywhere 5.5.
> > I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.
> >
> > The app has the following :
> > 300 datawindows / datastores
> > Embedded SQL in about 100 events /  functions.
> >
> > The Database has the following:
> > 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys
> > NO stored procedures or triggers.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers.
> >
> > Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration
> > process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows!
> >
> > I have already migrated the database through the Microsoft utility. It
did
> > not create indexes or foriegn keys. I assume that I will have to do this
> > manually.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andy

0
Finn
12/10/1999 12:00:21 AM
In article <zQgwLHqQ$GA.313@forums.sybase.com>, fr@hfrconsult.dk says...

Sybase SQL Anywhere to Microsoft SQL Server.
Problems and solutions

> I've also be through the migration process from SQL AnyWhere to MS SQL 7,
> and I also like the Watcom SQL dialect much more than Transact-SQL. But you
> are not quite right about the date conversion functions. In MS SQL you can
> use the DATEPART function.
>
> Another thing to have in mind is that MS SQL 7 is MUCH faster than Sybase
> SQL AnyWhere. If a table contains many records (> 100000) in SQL AnyWhere,
> performance drops very much, especially when using INSERTs. In that case
> I've found MS SQL 7 to be as much as 20-50 times faster !!

We are currently putting the last touch on a long conversion from Sybase
Sql Anywhere to MS SQL 7.0

We ran into a lot of problem.  First of all the application i'm talking
about is around 200 windows and near 300 datawindows.  It took us near 2
weeks / 3 programmers full time to make the switch.

Some of the problems encountered are the following:

We had DATE datatype into our database, but MSSQL accepts only DATETIME.
Since our application is using a lot of date comparaison, we had to check
every piece of script to be sure we were putting DATE with midnight as
hour because we are keeping prices per day not per hour.

Then we had to check every datawindows where we used something like
date_sales = today(), because today() isn't supported in MSSQL.
We had to change them for getdate()   (used in both MSSQL and Sybase)

humm let me think oh yeah we had used the SQL function LIST twice so we
had to change the logic of these datawindow.

But the worst part came when we had to check every datawindow to remove
any "column references".  What I mean here is when we had something like
this:
(Exemple, incomplete but I hope you'll understand)
  SELECT distinct product_sales.product_code as a_product_code,
         (select value from rap_def_det where nom_rapport_objet='rpt_mv'
		and argument=1 ) as A_WEEK,
         (select value from rap_def_det where nom_rapport_objet='rpt_mv'
		and argument=3 ) as A_STORE,
	  (Select SUM(product_sales.sales_qty)
		from product_sales
		<where	product_sales.product_code = a_product_code and (
			product_sales.no_store=A_store and
			product_sales.sales_date<=Day_End and
			product_sales.sales_date>=Day_Start)) as Snumber ,
         (Select sum(product_sales.sales_amount)
		from product_sales
		where	product_sales.product_code = a_product_code and (
			product_sales.no_store=A_store and
			product_sales.sales_date<=Day_End and
			product_sales.sales_date>=Day_Start)) as Samount
    FROM product_sales
   WHERE  product_sales.no_store=A_store

The problem encountered here was that A_WEEK and A_STORE can't be
referenced into another subselect.
For report like this, we eitheir change the logic or we had to repeat our
subselect everytimes.

Another problem we had is, since our "prices" are kept per day, when we
wanted to retrieve today's prices, we had to used the Datepart function
because getdate() returns the today's date in date-hour format.

To conclude, migrating to MSSQL was a pain, but I think we finally have
made it.  Note that a lot of our problems were caused by the ignorence of
ex-employees.  They did'nt use the "right" standard so everything was
working, but it was Sybase specific.

Bye

0
www
12/14/1999 2:41:05 AM
Finn,
>>any of those great date conversion functions like Months(),
> > Days(), Seconds()...  None of these are available in MS SQL7<<

That's exactly what I meant...  All you get in MSSQL is datepart(),
dateadd(), datediff()...  None of the really nice (and intuitive) date
conversion functions from Watcom SQL are supported.

Paul

"Finn Rasmussen" <fr@hfrconsult.dk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've also be through the migration process from SQL AnyWhere to MS SQL 7,
> and I also like the Watcom SQL dialect much more than Transact-SQL. But
you
> are not quite right about the date conversion functions. In MS SQL you can
> use the DATEPART function.
>
> Another thing to have in mind is that MS SQL 7 is MUCH faster than Sybase
> SQL AnyWhere. If a table contains many records (> 100000) in SQL AnyWhere,
> performance drops very much, especially when using INSERTs. In that case
> I've found MS SQL 7 to be as much as 20-50 times faster !!
>
> Finn Rasmussen,
> HFR Consult
> www.hfrconsult.dk
>

> Paul Horan <paulh@NOSPAMtwoplus.com> wrote in message
> > Andrew,
> >
> > 1. If your datawindows have taken advantage of *any* of the wonderful
> > features of the Watcom dialect of SQL, you'll have to give them a
> lobotomy.
> > This list includes the If/Then/Else expression, the List() aggregate
> > function, any of those great date conversion functions like Months(),
> > Days(), Seconds()...  None of these are available in MS SQL7.
> > 2. Say buh-bye to declarative referential integrity.  All MS SQL offers
is
> > trigger-based RI.
> > 3. No Row-level triggers, only statement-level triggers.  So these have
> > be rewritten to use the Inserted and Deleted virtual tables.  And no
> Before
> > execution triggers either, just After triggers.
> >
> > In terms of power and flexibility from a developer standpoint,
> Transact-SQL
> > is a step backwards.
> >
> > Paul Horan
> > VCI   www.twoplus.com
> > Springfield, MA
> >
> > "Andrew K" <klein@embryominc.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase
> SQL
> > > Anywhere 5.5.
> > > I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0.
> > >
> > > The app has the following :
> > > 300 datawindows / datastores
> > > Embedded SQL in about 100 events /  functions.
> > >
> > > The Database has the following:
> > > 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys
> > > NO stored procedures or triggers.
> > >
> > > I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers.
> > >
> > > Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration
> > > process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows!
> > >
> > > I have already migrated the database through the Microsoft utility. It
> did
> > > not create indexes or foriegn keys. I assume that I will have to do
this
> > > manually.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andy

0
Paul
12/14/1999 4:04:18 PM
> [...]

			product_sales.no_store=A_store and
			product_sales.sales_date<=Day_End and
			product_sales.sales_date>=Day_Start)) as Samount
    FROM product_sales
   WHERE  product_sales.no_store=A_store

The problem encountered here was that A_WEEK and A_STORE can't be
referenced into another subselect.
For report like this, we eitheir change the logic or we had to repeat our
subselect everytimes.

Another problem we had is, since our "prices" are kept per day, when we
wanted to retrieve today's prices, we had to used the Datepart function
because getdate() returns the today's date in date-hour format.

To conclude, migrating to MSSQL was a pain, but I think we finally have
made it.  Note that a lot of our problems were caused by the ignorence of
ex-employees.  They did'nt use the "right" standard so everything was

MS SQL 7.0 & SQL Anywhere 5.5 on same machine
Is this possible?????? We've got one product that uses SQL Anywhere 5.5 server and we'd like to also put MS SQL 7.0 on the same box. Would there be any problem with this configuration???? Thanks, Peter I run SSA5505, ASA8 and SQL Server 2000 all on one machine with no problems whatsoever. Ach Peter Brown wrote: > Is this possible?????? > > We've got one product that uses SQL Anywhere 5.5 server and we'd like to > also put MS SQL 7.0 on the same box. > > Would there be any problem with this configuration???? > > T...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

Powerbuilder 7.0 and Sql Anywhere 5.5
I have been having problems with my 5.5 Sql Anywhere database getting fatal database errors ever since I switched my application from Powerbuilder 5.0 to 7.0. Do you know of any known problems with this. If so, what can I do about it? Please advise Define fatal database errors? Do you mean assertions? If so, read http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1010805. /ck <Jim_Sacks> wrote in message news:1B0972BF2418D403004477D285256AF2.004477E185256AF2@webforums... > I have been having problems with my 5.5 Sql Anywhere database getting fatal > database errors ever since I s...

help on updating database sql anywhere 5.0 to sql adaptive server 7.0
If anyone knows how to update db to adaptive server 7.0 You have two choices : 1) Run dbunload against your v5.0 database to generate a reload.sql and a series of .dat files that contain the data in the tables. You can use either the v7 dbunload or the v5 dbunload (unless the database participates in a replication, in which case the v7 dbunload should be used). Now, at v7, initialize a new database, and run dbisqlc to read the reload.sql file. This will re-create all the schema that existed in the old database and re-load all the data. You can discard the reload.sql and .dat file...

Powerbuilder 5.0/7.0 and MS SQL 7.0 Performance issues
We recently converted our app from Powerbuilder 5.0 to PB 7.0 -- the app in PB 7.0 definitely runs slower on the client PC's than it did in PB 5.0. Now we are migrating the database from MS SQL 6.5 to 7.0 SP2. We successfully converted the databases in a testing environment, but now the app runs terribly slow! I don't think it's a hardware issue -- the test box is a Compaq 8500 quad Xeon 500 w/1GB Ram. We experimented running the app as a PB 5.0 app against MS SQL 7.0 and the problem is the same. When we execute SQL directly against the DB outside of PB, we see no perf...

SQL Anywhere 7.0 Client to 5.5 Database
I would like to connect a 7.0 client to a 5.5 database. I have tried a number of ODBC parameters but cannot get a test connect. Can anyone tell me what I might need to do to get this to work? Frank.Scroggs@WellmanInc.com We changed the communications protocols in v6 so this is non-trivial. Read the documentation about upgrading from v5 to v7. The compatibility library should help you do what you want. /steve -- Stephen Rice Technical Services Manager iAnywhere Solutions email: srice@iAnywhere.com Certified SQL Anywhere Associate -- Please Post -- "Frank Scrogg...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
Hi All! I was just wondering if I can have both SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 databases on the same machine? I have two applications using two different databases, and using two different type of ODBC configuration setting. For some reason, when I installed the application which used MS SQL Server 7.0, my other application using SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 crashed or just doesn't work like it used to. I read somewhere that both SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and MS SQL Server 7.0 can be on the same machine but I need some clarification. If I need to upgrade my SQL Anywhere 5....

Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0
Dear Sirs/user group, We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05 database to version 8. I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively. That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8? If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be updated to reflect the changes of the table names? Or will I have to do all the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb? Thanks in advance, Oded Szpiro oded@travelca...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0
Is the upgrade from 5.5.05 to Studio 6.0 a simple incremental upgrade? Can I complete this upgrade without code changes? It depends on the code. Sorry to be vague but that's the truth. It is described in great detail in the Help for ASA 6... ===== ASA New Features and Upgrading Guide CHAPTER 6. Upgrading From SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Server Anywhere This chapter describes upgrade procedures for users of SQL Anywhere Versions 5.0 and 5.5, and users of Watcom SQL 4.0. ===== Most ordinary SQL commands (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) will NOT have to be changed at al...

issue when migrating from SQL anywhere version 5.5.6 to 7.0.3
I currently have an issue in migrating from version 5.5.6 to 7.x . The problem I have is that from downloading an evaluation copy of SQL Anywhere Studio Server 7.0.3 and trying to open a connection to a 5.5.6 database file I am receiving the following message: "Sybase Central cannot connect to this database because it is older than version 6.0" Can someone advise that my current database file is unable to be opened with this new version or is it simply the case that this is an evaluation copy with limited functionality. Is there any patch to upgragde from 5.5 to...

Pb6.5 Connecting to SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.4 Database
Does PB6.5 support SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.4 database interface, I don't see it when I try to create a database profile in PB6.5 ??. I can create an ODBC database profile though, but i don't want to use ODBC. Thanks Ravi Nath Ravi, SQL Anywhere uses the ODBC interface as native so that's the right way to go. Regards, John Olson [TeamSybase] Developower, Inc. www.developower.com SAS wrote in message ... >Does PB6.5 support SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.4 database interface, I don't see it >when I try to create >a database profile in PB6.5 ??. >I c...

Replication between SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3
Does anyone know if exists some document with the details on Replication between Sybase SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 using Replication Server 11.0.3. I�m having some troubles with this configuration and I�m wondering if I�m doing something wrong. Thanks in advance. ...

Web resources about - Migrating from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to MS SQL 7.0 - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

Teens Migrating From Facebook To Comments Section Of Slow-Motion Deer Video - YouTube
Subscribe to The Onion on YouTube: http://bit.ly/xzrBUA Trendwatchers say more and more teens are leaving Facebook and Twitter in favor of the ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Record Numbers of New Zealanders Migrating to Australia
Acting on impulse: why the Kiwis keep coming ... and coming and coming

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Volunteers help Mulligans Flat migrating turtles through the fence over holidays
Volunteers help turtles running the gauntlet past fences, foxes and cars.

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...