How to prevent SQL Native Client from using Server Side Cursor when connecting to MS SQL 2000

Hi.

    I am now trying to connect to MS SQL 2000 using SQLNCLI10 / SQLNCLI as
Provider.
    I can connect to the database successfully but I observe that the sql
native client generates
    sp_cursoropen, sp_cursorfetch etc even for a very simple select
statement embedded in PowerScript.
    I think this will greatly impact the performance.

    I have found that the select statement becomes a single statement batch
(no more sp_cursoropen etc) in the profiler trace
    if the database is changed to MS SQL 2008.

    How can I avoid it ? Add some setting to ProviderString in DBParm ???

    PS:     PB 11.5.1. Build 4675
              MS SQL 2000 8.00.2039 (SP4)

mctmp

Your question is one that has been asked and not answered before.  My
opinion is that PB is "emulating" MARS support on sql server 2000
connections by using server side cursors.  SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server
2008 do not have the issue.
And I also observe a heavy performance impact of using server side cursors.

"mctmp" <mctmp@mctmp.net> wrote in message news:4bcd2163$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi.
>
>    I am now trying to connect to MS SQL 2000 using SQLNCLI10 / SQLNCLI as
> Provider.
>    I can connect to the database successfully but I observe that the sql
> native client generates
>    sp_cursoropen, sp_cursorfetch etc even for a very simple select
> statement embedded in PowerScript.
>    I think this will greatly impact the performance.
>
>    I have found that the select statement becomes a single statement batch
> (no more sp_cursoropen etc) in the profiler trace
>    if the database is changed to MS SQL 2008.
>
>    How can I avoid it ? Add some setting to ProviderString in DBParm ???
>
>    PS:     PB 11.5.1. Build 4675
>              MS SQL 2000 8.00.2039 (SP4)
>
>    Thanks

0
Tyler

PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000 Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450) field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255 chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve? Please help me out if anybody knows the solution Thanks in advance because the native interface (Micr...

Getting "When connecting to SQL Server 2005 Error" using MS SQL 2000?
I'm new to using VS2005 and this is my first project connecting to our MS SQL 2000. App worked fine on my dev PC, connection to the same MS SQL Server. Published the web site to the web server (same server running MS SQL Server) and getting the below error. Is this a permission setup problem on SQL Server or does it really think it's connecting with a MS SQL 2005 database? An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remot...

Powerbuilder 9
Hi, I am trying to get connected to Microsoft SQL server 2000 using SSL, through the native driver (MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0). Unfortunately, the code I am supporting is such that I can't change to ODBC or OLEDB easily. Is there a way to set the native driver to communicate using SSL? I tried DBPARM=Encrypt=1 and many other similar combinations, but no luck so far. Thanks, Brian ...

Connect MS SQL Server via Internret using TCP/IP in the client side
Can anyone show me the steps to connect MS SQL Server via Internet using TCP/IP protocol in the client side ? and How can I set the PB5 (Use native drive if possible) to connect this database. Please describe in details. Thanks Johnny Please reply to newsgroup directly or click the following email address. mailto://johnny@clarionsec.com Johnny, Here's what must be configured at the server: MS SQL Server is listening with the TCP/IP NetLib The server is connected to the Internet via a dial-up connection or router A firewall is not blocking SQL Server's TCP port ...

SQL Server 2005 error when trying to connect to sql server 2000 database
Hi all.I am working on asp.net 2.0 with back end as sqlserver 2000. but when trying to connect to the database i am getting the following error displayed An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the...

How to connect to Remote SQL Server database using SQL Server 2005 Express
Hi,I've an account with a hosting service provider online for SQL Server database. I've downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express from ASP.Net. How can I use it to connect to my SQL Server Database which is sitting on remote server? The hosting provider gave me following things to connect to the remote database.Server NameDatabase NameUser NamePasswordRegards,A.K.R    Anyone? I don't want to ask the obvious, but is there not a Read Me file included with the download of SQL Express which would explain how to connect? Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've only ever briefly ...

PB6.5 connect MS SQL 2005 using native driver (DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0)
Is it possible PB 6.5 using "DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0" to connect MS SQL 2005? The existing application is PB6.5 using "DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0" to connect MS SQL 2000. It is work fine. John Hi John; AFAIK .. it should work. The only restrictions would be 1) PB 6.5 will not understand SS2005 functionality. You will be restricted to the SS 6.0 (as you are today with SS2000) feature set. 2) The MSS setting connects using the NTDBLIB.dll from MS. I do not believe that this is supplied with SS2005. So you will need to install the SS20...

How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4?
Hi: How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4? It seems that the special connection inferface for "MSS Microsoft SQL Server" is canceled in PowerBuilder 10.5. I do not want to via ODBC. Thanks! Wu; No, MSS driver (actually Microsoft's NTDBLIB.dll) was cancelled by Bill Gates in SQLServer v7. It was supported in 2000 - but ANSI only with limited functionality and dropped for SS2000 and 2005 in the Unicode world. So your choices are: ODBC, OLE-DB and ADO.net. There is new SNC driver for PB 11 that is simil...

Can I use Bugzilla with Sql server 2000 or sql server 2005 as backend Database
I have Just Successfully installed Bugzilla My installation are Bugzilla 2.2 Apachec Webserver ActivePerl 7.8 Mysql 5.0 Now I like That My Database should be Sql server 2000 or sql server 2005 Can I do that [As I also see that I required some Perl module of Mysql as well] ...

A Problem to Connect SQL Server 2000 Through MSS MS SQL Server 6.x Interaface
Hi, We have two SQL Server 2000 database servers. I have no problem to connect serverA through MSS MS SQL Server 6.X. But I cannot connect to serverB through MSS MS SQL Server 6.X. I tried to connect to serverB through ODBC. It is connected well, but there was error message said "Catalog tables could not be created and are not available for use." My PowerBuilder version is 7.0.2 and build 8046. Mindy ...

MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000
We are migrating from MS SQL Server 6.5 to MS SQL Server 2000. We are using a Native connections and would like to know if there are any issues that we should be aware to do this correctly. TIA Adam Shepherd Are you sure about that? I have not experienced (or heard of) that kind of problem w/ 7.0. There are many other reasons why a table san is performed, but I don't think a numeric data type would cause it... Or are you talking about the PB problem of sending an Integer as 1. -- Kim Berghall Sisu Group, Inc. remove no_spam. no_spam.kberghall@sisugrp.com www.sisugrp...

Web resources about - How to prevent SQL Native Client from using Server Side Cursor when connecting to MS SQL 2000 - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store on iTunes
Get Clowdy - Connecting Creatives with Music, Film & Photos on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...