Connect to Oracle 10g

Hi,

this is a problem using PB 10.5.2 7611 on
a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition connecting
to an Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database. I can connect
without problems using SQL Plus. Even if I
create an ODBC datasource the "Test connection"
function works ok. But when I try to connect using
PB I get: "ORA-12154: TNS: Angegebener Connect
Identifier konnte nicht aufgel�st werden", that is
"Could not resolve the connect identifier specified".
What is the problem here?

TIA,
Chris Werner
f+s software gmbh

0
Chris

Chris,

I'm no PB expert, but a possible explanation could be this one:
AFAIK PB is a 32-Bit Application. Under 64-Bit Windows there is a
schizophrenic scenario: the standard ODBC-Administrator (ODBCAD32.EXE)
is a 64 bit programm. 32 bit apps can't use data sources created with
this tool. To create a DS for 32 bit, you'll have to use ODBCAD32.EXE
(yes, exactly the same name!) in a 32 bit version from
%WINSYSDIR%\SysWOW64. Nice feature, Mr. Gates ;-)

HTH
Reimer

Chris Werner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is a problem using PB 10.5.2 7611 on
> a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition connecting
> to an Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database. I can connect
> without problems using SQL Plus. Even if I
> create an ODBC datasource the "Test connection"
> function works ok. But when I try to connect using
> PB I get: "ORA-12154: TNS: Angegebener Connect
> Identifier konnte nicht aufgel�st werden", that is
> "Could not resolve the connect identifier specified".
> What is the problem here?
>
> TIA,
> Chris Werner
> f+s software gmbh

Hey Reimer,

when I started %WINSYSDIR%\SysWOW64\ODBCAD32.EXE
there ist the ODBC datasource in question already
there. That may be the case because I've started
the ODBC administrator from the PB IDE. Anyway,
I'd prefer the native db driver. The ODBC test  was only to see
what happens.

BTW, PowerBuilder applications run on this workstation
and connect to the Oracle database without any problem.

Thanks for any further help,

Chris Werner

"R. Pods" <r.pods@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Chris,
>
> I'm no PB expert, but a possible explanation could be this one:
> AFAIK PB is a 32-Bit Application. Under 64-Bit Windows there is a
> schizophrenic scenario: the standard ODBC-Administrator (ODBCAD32.EXE) is
> a 64 bit programm. 32 bit apps can't use data sources created with this
> tool. To create a DS for 32 bit, you'll have to use ODBCAD32.EXE (yes,
> exactly the same name!) in a 32 bit version from %WINSYSDIR%\SysWOW64.
> Nice feature, Mr. Gates ;-)
>
> HTH
> Reimer
>
> Chris Werner wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a problem using PB 10.5.2 7611 on
>> a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition connecting
>> to an Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database. I can connect
>> without problems using SQL Plus. Even if I
>> create an ODBC datasource the "Test connection"
>> function works ok. But when I try to connect using
>> PB I get: "ORA-12154: TNS: Angegebener Connect
>> Identifier konnte nicht aufgel�st werden", that is
>> "Could not resolve the connect identifier specified".
>> What is the problem here?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Chris Werner
>> f+s software gmbh

0
Chris
5/28/2010 11:43:43 AM
You have a 32-bit Oracle client installed?  Is it in the path before the
64-bit client?
Do you have a TNS_NAMES environment variable defined?

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://casexpress.sybase.com

"Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message news:4bfcdbbe$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi,
>
> this is a problem using PB 10.5.2 7611 on
> a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition connecting
> to an Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database. I can connect
> without problems using SQL Plus. Even if I
> create an ODBC datasource the "Test connection"
> function works ok. But when I try to connect using
> PB I get: "ORA-12154: TNS: Angegebener Connect
> Identifier konnte nicht aufgel�st werden", that is
> "Could not resolve the connect identifier specified".
> What is the problem here?
>
> TIA,
> Chris Werner
> f+s software gmbh

0
Terry
5/31/2010 7:11:36 PM
Hi Terry,

thanks for your answer. Yes, the 32 bit Oracle client is installed and is
the very first entry in the PATH environment variable. And yes, there
is an environment variable TNS_ADMIN defined, which points exactly
to the path of the correct TNSNAMES.ORA file. To make sure what you
are asking I've defined a TNS_NAMES environment variable in the
system properties but nothing helps. It is really strange that every
compiled PowerBuilder application runs and connect to the Oracle
database without problems. Yes, I've checked the connection parameters
and ensured the same PB DLLs are used.

Thanks again,

Chris Werner

"Terry Dykstra [TeamSybase]" <tddykstra@forestoil.ca> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> You have a 32-bit Oracle client installed?  Is it in the path before the
> 64-bit client?
> Do you have a TNS_NAMES environment variable defined?
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> http://casexpress.sybase.com
> product enhancement requests:
> http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
> "Chris Werner" <cw@f-s.de> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is a problem using PB 10.5.2 7611 on
>> a Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition connecting
>> to an Oracle 10.2.0.4.0 database. I can connect
>> without problems using SQL Plus. Even if I
>> create an ODBC datasource the "Test connection"
>> function works ok. But when I try to connect using
>> PB I get: "ORA-12154: TNS: Angegebener Connect
>> Identifier konnte nicht aufgel�st werden", that is
>> "Could not resolve the connect identifier specified".
>> What is the problem here?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Chris Werner
>> f+s software gmbh

0
Chris

Oracle 10g Database connectivity in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop Version using ODBC
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub4940f6b1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I have installed PB 11.5 Desktop version with all the EBF`s. I created a DSN for the Oracle 10g default ('Orcl') database through ODBC Administrator. I was successfully able to connect to the database through the DSN. Now I created a Database Profile in PowerBuilder 11.5 Desktop version for the DSN created above. When I tried testing the database connection I got the errors present in attached in document...

PowerBuilder 9.0.2 native Oracle driver for Oracle 10g database
We are migrating from Oracle 8i to 10g. The PowerBuilder 9.0.2 application is extremely slow using PowerBuilder Oracle 8.4 or 9.0 native driver to connect to Oracle 10g database, We had to use 7.3 driver. After using trace we found that the SQL scripts with index hint cause slow down, but they are working ok using Oracle 8.4 driver with Oracle 8i database. Any suggestion which is best way to connect from PowerBuilder 9.0.2 to Oracle 10g database? We have tried the Oracle 8.1.7 client and Oracle 9.0 client. I found a solved case on Sybase support web site, but we do not have support...

Problems connecting to Oracle 9i database with Oracle 10g Client and Win XP x64
Hardware/Software:Dell Precision 490 with Intel Xeon 64 bit processor running MS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1.Visual Studio .NET 2005 Oracle 10g ClientI am trying to run my ASP.NET application from the above mentioned computer that connects to an Oracle 9i database on another machine on the network, but get the following error when using the OLEDB provider for Oracle:Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.Provid...

how to implement login module using Oracle 10g database (logic & Oracle 10g Queries) and how can i use membership and roles with Oracle 10g & VS 2.0
 Hi all, Can any one tell me how to implement login module using Oracle 10g database (logic & Oracle 10g Queries) and how can I use membership and roles with Oracle 10g & vs 2.0. , for implement this is it compulsory to install oracle 10g server on the same machine on which I'm implementing this task  or otherwise i can use  other system as a server (like remote login or client server)  Hi,You should have the Oracle 10g Server or Client In your machine.In Case Client is in your Machine then Server Must be somewhere,that is enough to use.I hope then we ...

Oracle 10g Database Connection
I am migrating my DB from Sybase to Oravle10g - while trying to connect to oracle DB from PowerBuilder I got this error - pls help "Failed to get local NLS_LANG charset ID." thanks & regards What Oracle client are you using? If you have multiple Oracle homes, which one is primary? Which driver (O84, O90, O10, ODBC, JDB)? Is this the IDE or an error when running your program? -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/ http://www.pb9books.com product enhancement requests: http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement <...

Can't connect to Oracle database using Oracle 10g Client in Windows 2003 Enterprise
Hi, Our test environment is Windows 2003 enterprise with IIS and Oracle 10g client installed. I wrote a simple asp.net program to connect to a Oracle database and display the select result in a datagrid. But can't connect to Oracle. It seems .NET can't find the oracle client. Any idea is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joey...

Oracle 10g database and DBI connectivity
Perl experts, I've got DBI and Apache configured to connect to an Oracle 9.2 database. I'm considering upgrading the database to 10g. Not expecting any problems but if anyone has gone that route and are willing to share any gotchas or additional suggestions i'd certainly appreciate it. Thanks, Kevin ...

2003 Server Cannot Connect Oracle 10g Database
Using PB 11, WebForm application. My database is in Alpha Server, Oracle 10g running in OpenVMS. I can run my application from my Development machine using: http://localhost/WebForm_Sizing/Default.aspx and connects the Oracle 10g, using the System DSN: ORA10GR2. No proble. However the 2003 Server cannot connect with the database (after deployment in 2003 server). Shows error message as: Cannot Connect to Database SQLSTATE = IM002 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified. P.S. I have created System DSN: ORA10GR2 as "Micr...

PB9 Connectivity issues to an Oracle 10g database.
I hoping someone has experienced this and can assist us in the following: We have an application that is using PB 9.0.3 Build 8836 and is trying to connect to an Oracle 10g database. When we run the application through the PB development environment, the application and connectivity works just fine. When we build and deploy the application, we get an Oracle error on any SQL operation "...Mismatch between retrieve columns and fetch columns". We've included the required .dll file (pbo9090.dll) in the application directory. Another note is if we use the OR8 drivers (...

Powerbuilder 11.1 connecting to oracle 10G.
I can set up a connection using the Database Profile - Powerbuilder 11.1 to Oracle 10g. I am using the 010 Oracle 10g native driver delivered with the Enterprise Install The connection can be opened and all Synonyms, Tables, Procedure & Functions - tree view can be expanded to view them When I try to create a new datawindow (tabular) - then choose to use a stored procedure data souce, the application just hangs when trying to bring back the procedures to select from. I can connect to a Oracle 9.1 database - with no issues using Powerbuilder 11.1. My DBA notes some issues with Or...

cannot connect to local instance of Oracle 10g XE database
I've downloaded and installed web developer on a machine running Oracle's 10g eXpress Edition. I bring up the database explorer and select the .NET Oracle connection to create a connection to the database and get an error when testing the connection. The error message returned is from Oracle saying the connection string is incorrect.  Since the message is from Oracle web dev is talking but I don't know what should be entered.As far as I know I'm entering the SID/service name correctly along with username and password. Are there any tricks I'm missing?This relates only to ...

Connectivity of Powerbuilder 11.5 Professional with Oracle 10g
Does Powerbuilder 11.5 Professional supports connectivity with Oracle 10g through native drivers ? Hi Sameer; No ... you need the "Enterprise" version to have the Oracle native driver capability. -- Regards ... Chris ISUG - NA RUG Director http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com <Sameer-SSS> wrote in message news:49fe980b.11b7.1681692777@sybase.com... > Does Powerbuilder 11.5 Professional supports connectivity > with Oracle 10g through native drivers ? Thanks Chris. > Hi Sameer; > > No ... you need the "Enterprise"...

Error While Connecting to Database Oracle 10g (COM+) [Edit]
Hi I created a COM object with just one procedure and coclass. The procedure is just making a connection (ADO) to DB and fetching customer name for the given number. Transaction model is "Requires a New transaction", Call synchronization is "None" and Object Pooling is not checked. Build and registration were successfully. {code} procedure TTestCoClass.SayHi(CustNo: Integer); var ADO_Connection : TADOConnection; ADO_Query : TADOQuery; CS : String; begin try ADO_Connection := TADOConnection.Create(nil); CS := 'Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Passwor...

How to create a single Oracle Database connection method or function to be used on or by all classes and pages that want to connect to the database?
 How to create a single Oracle Database connection method or function  to be used on or by all classes and pages that want to connect to the database? How can I create one method or function in csharp to be used on all pages or classes when conenction to the database? Please give an example.I have database connections which I am using on each and very page or classes, but I can I put in one page then I just start  calling it?Database connection I am using:   OracleConnection dbconnection;    this.dbconnection = new System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnec...

Problem connecting to oracle database in powerbuilder 9.0 desktop version
I am not able to connect to oracle database using odbc in powerbuilder 9.0 desktop version.I am getting error message which says 'Inavlid or unsupported datasource' Ershad, Have you verified that you have the required Oracle ODBC drivers? The latest set of drivers is available at: http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odbc/index.html\ Could you also please post the attributes of the transaction object (except the password) that you use to try and connect to the oracle db? Sanjiv. <Ershad Ali Mohammad> wrote in message news:41aea458.51d5...

Web resources about - Connect to Oracle 10g - sybase.powerbuilder.database

Connect Four - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Connect Four (also known as Captain's Mistress , Four Up , Plot Four , Find Four , Fourplay , Four in a Row and Four in a Line ) is a two-player ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

Kinvey Connects Mobile Apps To Facebook’s Open Graph
Facebook’s open graph technology is great for Web applications that want to better connect with users through the social network. But what about ...

Australian app Sociabl connects fan with their idols
Just into their 20s, cousins Brandon Reynolds and Jarrad Hrotek are set to launch a video call app that connects celebrities with their fans ...

Ford Seeks Out Software to Connect Drones With F-150s
Next time a devastating tsunami or earthquake strikes, Ford Motor Co. wants the rapid-response vehicle to be an F-150 pickup with a drone in ...

Movesum step-tracking app connects how you move with what you eat
... your funny bone . Movesum Lifesum - Healthier living, better eating, more movement Pedometer++ Moves Movesum step-tracking app connects ...

Ford seeks out software to connect drones with F-150s
News about global automotive manufacturing, with an emphasis on U.S. production.

"When Chris Wallace asks Bush if he squandered his initial advantage by failing to come up with a 'message' ...
"... which the media cares about more than he does. Instead, Bush wants to talk about how he's 'on the ballot in every state,' which is 'hard' ...

How different networking standards are competing to connect the Internet of Things
The Internet of Things (IoT) — a vast network of connected devices — is set to become the world’s largest device market over the next decade, ...

SanDisk’s Wireless Connect 200GB Flash Drive Streams and Shares Without Plugging In
The SanDisk Wireless Connect 200GB flash drive is just huge. Besides its size, it also connects over password protected Wi-Fi to let you transfer ...