Why won't it connect w/ Oracle when I run it?

Hello.  I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my
application won't connect with Oracle when I run it, but it is connected
when I am creating a data window and I can browse throught the data.  I am
using Oracle 9.0 and PB 8.0.3.  I've already run the connection wizard and
it still doesn't connect.

Thanks,

Jorge
0
Jorge

That would indicate that in your applicatin you are not populating sqlca
correctly.  Use the debugger to see what values you are assigning to
sqlca.dbms, etc.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post.

<Jorge> wrote in message
> Hello.  I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my
> application won't connect with Oracle when I run it, but it is connected
> when I am creating a data window and I can browse throught the data.  I am
> using Oracle 9.0 and PB 8.0.3.  I've already run the connection wizard and
> it still doesn't connect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

0
Terry
10/28/2002 4:13:40 PM
Jorge;

    Can you connect from the same PC using SQL*Plus or any other utility?

regards ... Chris

<Jorge> wrote in message
> Hello.  I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my
> application won't connect with Oracle when I run it, but it is connected
> when I am creating a data window and I can browse throught the data.  I am
> using Oracle 9.0 and PB 8.0.3.  I've already run the connection wizard and
> it still doesn't connect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

0
Chris
10/28/2002 4:16:25 PM
I am new to both PB and Oracle.  I don't really understand how the debugger
is supposed to help me determine the values for the sql.dbms.  This is what
I found in the object connect service:

        Case IS_USE_SCRIPT /*  Populate Database Connection from Script  */
                as_dbms                 = "O90 Oracle9i (9.0.1)"
                as_database             = ""
                as_userid               = ""
                as_dbpass               = ""
                as_logid                        = "pmmp_demo"
                as_logpass              = "pmmp_demo"
                as_server               = "pmmp_server"
                as_dbparm               =
"PBCatalogOwner='pmmp_demo',TableCriteria=',pmmp_demo'"
                as_lock                 = ""
                as_autocommit   = "false"

could you let me know if you see something wrong with this.

Thanks,

Jorge
0
Jorge
10/28/2002 9:51:32 PM
hi Jorge,
Me too, new to PB and Oracle, and were facing same problem of connectivity
between PB8.0 and Oracle 8i. Using Oracle ODBC Driver version 8.01.06 and
file name is SQORA32.dll, I created one oracle DSN (named Oracle_DSN) which
I am using it directly from PB.
In PB8.0, the code I am using is

ls_database = "ConnectString='DSN=Oracle_DSN;"
// instantiate with user-entry values
sqlca.dbms = "ODBC"
sqlca.userid = <userId>
sqlca.dbpass = <password>
sqlca.autocommit = false
sqlca.dbparm = ls_database+"UID="+ls_userid+";PWD="+ls_password+";'"

sqlca is SQL Communication Area which is the default transaction object in
PB.

Try to connect to other database on different server using SQL*Plus.

I hope this would help you.
Regards,
Atul

<Jorge> wrote in message
> Hello.  I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my
> application won't connect with Oracle when I run it, but it is connected
> when I am creating a data window and I can browse throught the data.  I am
> using Oracle 9.0 and PB 8.0.3.  I've already run the connection wizard and
> it still doesn't connect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

0
atul
10/29/2002 4:24:34 AM
We are using the new PBo9080.dll and we are having alot of problems.  It
appears to corrupt very easily.  There are no problems when we use the
PBo8480.dll on the same code.

 We can connect to our Oracle 9i database but we get strange errors such as
field size overflow on triggers and an inability to find certain tables,
etc.

I suggest you use the PBo8480.dll to connect until the new native driver is
cleaned up.
<Jorge> wrote in message
> Hello.  I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my
> application won't connect with Oracle when I run it, but it is connected
> when I am creating a data window and I can browse throught the data.  I am
> using Oracle 9.0 and PB 8.0.3.  I've already run the connection wizard and
> it still doesn't connect.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

0
Rosalind
10/29/2002 8:52:11 PM
You don't need to set the dbparm parameters you list there.  They are for
the IDE only.
In your application somewhere you are connecting to the database.  When you
run your application through the debugger, check under the Global tab what
the settings are for SQLCA.  Especially watch the value for SQLCA.sqlcode
after executing the connect command. If you don't know exactly where the
CONNECT is being done, start the debugger in your object connect service and
simply step through it.

--
SDN: http://www.sybase.com/developer/

<Jorge> wrote in message
> I am new to both PB and Oracle.  I don't really understand how the
debugger
> is supposed to help me determine the values for the sql.dbms.  This is
what
> I found in the object connect service:
>
>         Case IS_USE_SCRIPT /*  Populate Database Connection from Script
*/
>                 as_dbms                 = "O90 Oracle9i (9.0.1)"
>                 as_database             = ""
>                 as_userid               = ""
>                 as_dbpass               = ""
>                 as_logid                        = "pmmp_demo"
>                 as_logpass              = "pmmp_demo"
>                 as_server               = "pmmp_server"
>                 as_dbparm               =
> "PBCatalogOwner='pmmp_demo',TableCriteria=',pmmp_demo'"
>                 as_lock                 = ""
>                 as_autocommit   = "false"
>
> could you let me know if you see something wrong with this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jorge

0
Terry