SQl Server Linked servers

We are having a problem connecting to linked servers through
PB9 OLEDB. The IDE interface (or the datawindow) works fine
but if we try to connect in runtime we get the following
error:

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL'
IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004002 "

The liked server mentioned is from a System DSN. What I
don't understand is that it works in the IDE but not in
runtime. (the same happens in PB10)

our connection string looks like this:

SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB"
SQLCA.LogPass = "XXX"
SQLCA.LogId = "XXXX"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
SQLCA.DBParm =
"PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='XXXX',PROVIDERSTRING='database=onco'
,DisableBind=0"

Any Suggestions?
0
Kevin

Is the runtime problem occurring on the same machine as the dev machine? If
not, could there be any configuration differences between the machines?

One suggestion I saw on the web said:

"if you change the linked server security properties to 'Be made without a
security context', it all works fine"

To do that, you would use Enterprise Manager, go to the Properties page for
the linked server, and change the setting in the security tab. I have not
tried this and do not know what the security implications of doing this are.
I would, of course, suggest careful consideration before making any security
changes in a Production environment, but making this change may help
troubleshoot the problem in a Dev environment.

Sanjiv.

<Kevin> wrote in message news:42a6edf1.1ab9.1681692777@sybase.com...
> We are having a problem connecting to linked servers through
> PB9 OLEDB. The IDE interface (or the datawindow) works fine
> but if we try to connect in runtime we get the following
> error:
>
> "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
> OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL'
> IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004002 "
>
> The liked server mentioned is from a System DSN. What I
> don't understand is that it works in the IDE but not in
> runtime. (the same happens in PB10)
>
> our connection string looks like this:
>
> SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB"
> SQLCA.LogPass = "XXX"
> SQLCA.LogId = "XXXX"
> SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
> SQLCA.DBParm =
> "PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='XXXX',PROVIDERSTRING='database=onco'
> ,DisableBind=0"
>
> Any Suggestions?

0
Sanjiv
6/9/2005 2:26:11 PM
I get the error on the same machine. I can retrieve the data
from the datawindow with no problem (preview data). If I use
run/preview I get the error.
As for the web posting, I saw the same one. That is not the
problem.
 I am assuming that there is something missing from the
connection string I posted earlier.
Thanks for the response.

> Is the runtime problem occurring on the same machine as
> the dev machine? If  not, could there be any configuration
> differences between the machines?
>
> One suggestion I saw on the web said:
>
> "if you change the linked server security properties to
> 'Be made without a  security context', it all works fine"
>
> To do that, you would use Enterprise Manager, go to the
> Properties page for  the linked server, and change the
> setting in the security tab. I have not  tried this and do
> not know what the security implications of doing this are.
> I would, of course, suggest careful consideration before
> making any security  changes in a Production environment,
> but making this change may help  troubleshoot the problem
> in a Dev environment.
>
> Sanjiv.
>

> <Kevin> wrote in message
> > news:42a6edf1.1ab9.1681692777@sybase.com... We are
> > having a problem connecting to linked servers through
> PB9 OLEDB. The IDE interface (or the datawindow) works
> > fine but if we try to connect in runtime we get the
> > following error:
> >
> > "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
> > OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL'
> > IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004002 "
> >
> > The liked server mentioned is from a System DSN. What I
> > don't understand is that it works in the IDE but not in
> > runtime. (the same happens in PB10)
> >
> > our connection string looks like this:
> >
> > SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB"
> > SQLCA.LogPass = "XXX"
> > SQLCA.LogId = "XXXX"
> > SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
> > SQLCA.DBParm =
> > "PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='XXXX'
> > ,PROVIDERSTRING='database=onco' ,DisableBind=0"
> >
> > Any Suggestions?

0
Kevin
6/9/2005 3:03:14 PM
Kevin,

Here's a sample that uses Windows Integrated Security to connect to the pubs
database on a local SQL Server:

// Profile Local MSSQL - Pubs - OLE DB
SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB"
SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
SQLCA.DBParm =
"PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURC�E='(local)',INTEGRATEDSECURITY�='SSPI',PROVIDERSTRING='databa�se=pubs'"

Have you tried using NT Authentication? Does that make any difference?

Regards,

Sanjiv.

<Kevin> wrote in message news:42a85a2e.4b40.1681692777@sybase.com...
>I get the error on the same machine. I can retrieve the data
> from the datawindow with no problem (preview data). If I use
> run/preview I get the error.
> As for the web posting, I saw the same one. That is not the
> problem.
> I am assuming that there is something missing from the
> connection string I posted earlier.
> Thanks for the response.
>
>> Is the runtime problem occurring on the same machine as
>> the dev machine? If  not, could there be any configuration
>> differences between the machines?
>>
>> One suggestion I saw on the web said:
>>
>> "if you change the linked server security properties to
>> 'Be made without a  security context', it all works fine"
>>
>> To do that, you would use Enterprise Manager, go to the
>> Properties page for  the linked server, and change the
>> setting in the security tab. I have not  tried this and do
>> not know what the security implications of doing this are.
>> I would, of course, suggest careful consideration before
>> making any security  changes in a Production environment,
>> but making this change may help  troubleshoot the problem
>> in a Dev environment.
>>
>> Sanjiv.
>>

>> <Kevin> wrote in message
>> > news:42a6edf1.1ab9.1681692777@sybase.com... We are
>> > having a problem connecting to linked servers through
>> PB9 OLEDB. The IDE interface (or the datawindow) works
>> > fine but if we try to connect in runtime we get the
>> > following error:
>> >
>> > "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
>> > OLE DB error trace[OLE/DB Provider 'MSDASQL'
>> > IUnknown::QueryInterface returned 0x80004002 "
>> >
>> > The liked server mentioned is from a System DSN. What I
>> > don't understand is that it works in the IDE but not in
>> > runtime. (the same happens in PB10)
>> >
>> > our connection string looks like this:
>> >
>> > SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB"
>> > SQLCA.LogPass = "XXX"
>> > SQLCA.LogId = "XXXX"
>> > SQLCA.AutoCommit = False
>> > SQLCA.DBParm =
>> > "PROVIDER='SQLOLEDB',DATASOURCE='XXXX'
>> > ,PROVIDERSTRING='database=onco' ,DisableBind=0"
>> >
>> > Any Suggestions?

0
Sanjiv

Web resources about - SQl Server Linked servers - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Server farm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A server farm or server cluster is a collection of computer servers usually maintained by an enterprise to accomplish server needs far beyond ...

Turkey internet servers under sustained cyber attack: internet body
Turkish internet servers have suffered one of the most intense cyberattacks ever seen in the country over the past week, raising fears Ankara ...

Intel’s 2nd-gen Compute Stick is a faster, better iTunes media server
One year after introducing the original Compute Stick, a version of which was featured in our guide to building a $150 iTunes media server , ...

Cock.li e-mail server seized by German authorities, admin announces
(credit: Vincent Canfield ) In a new video statement posted on Monday, the administrator of novelty e-mail provider cock.li announced that one ...

Intel: Deutsche Bank Models Altera Contribution to Server Biz
Shares of Intel ( INTC ) are down 35 cents, or 1%, at $34.63, after the company this morning announced the formal closing of its $17 billion ...

Amazon deal: Save $85 on this Sony portable wireless server
Smartphones' memory storage gets filled so quickly these days thanks to photos, videos and more, so get yourself a handy portable wireless server ...

Windows 10 automatically uploads encryption keys to Microsoft servers - Business Insider Deutschland
Securing your data is tough. Jan Kaláb/Flickr (CC) Microsoft backs up users' encryption keys to its servers, The Intercept's Micah Lee reports ...

8 quirky emails from Hillary Clinton's private server
The latest State Department release includes emails on limo ride flow charts, jury duty advice, and the "Texts from Hillary" viral photo

Applebee’s Server Returns $32,000 In Cash Family Accidentally Left On The Table
... and scored a huge tip from some abnormally generous person, and you figure the money is yours to keep. Or, if you’re like one Applebee’s server ...

Sanders’ Apology Over Data Breach Comes Six Months Faster Than Clinton’s Apology Over Private Server
Sanders’ Apology Over Data Breach Comes Six Months Faster Than Clinton’s Apology Over Private Server