SQL Server connection when password need to change first login

Hello all

I appreciate your guidance if anyone of you experienced following situation
and have a solution.

We have set a new password policy whenever we reset a  password, we enforce
to change it on first login through powerbuilder application. Here comes the
problem, database sends an error message and SQLCA was not connected using
old password. Is there a solution to reset password, if I provide old and
new password from application.

thanks
John

0
John

I assume that you are using SQL Security instead of the integrated security?

If so you would need to have a function/user object that has an admin user
name and password, then change the user password from a connection using the
admin username and password.  Integrated security is a better approach in
general, however, there may be times that that is not possible.

"John" <binu@morsedata.com> wrote in message news:4c46fafe$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hello all
>
> I appreciate your guidance if anyone of you experienced following
> situation and have a solution.
>
> We have set a new password policy whenever we reset a  password, we
> enforce to change it on first login through powerbuilder application. Here
> comes the problem, database sends an error message and SQLCA was not
> connected using old password. Is there a solution to reset password, if I
> provide old and new password from application.
>
> thanks
> John

0
Tyler
7/23/2010 1:19:12 PM
We use both integrated and SQL authentication. Most of our users are having
integrated logins.
I am afraid of using an admin user in application.

We are considering something like grace period or counting # of logins left
before expiration during login and force user to change password before it
expires.

"Tyler Cruse" <tcruse@medteam.net> wrote in message
>I assume that you are using SQL Security instead of the integrated
>security?
>

> If so you would need to have a function/user object that has an admin user
> name and password, then change the user password from a connection using
> the admin username and password.  Integrated security is a better approach
> in general, however, there may be times that that is not possible.
>

> "John" <binu@morsedata.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all
>>
>> I appreciate your guidance if anyone of you experienced following
>> situation and have a solution.
>>
>> We have set a new password policy whenever we reset a  password, we
>> enforce to change it on first login through powerbuilder application.
>> Here comes the problem, database sends an error message and SQLCA was not
>> connected using old password. Is there a solution to reset password, if I
>> provide old and new password from application.
>>
>> thanks
>> John

0
John
7/23/2010 1:29:19 PM
"John" <binu@morsedata.com> wrote in message news:4c49992f$1@forums-1-dub...
> We use both integrated and SQL authentication. Most of our users are
> having integrated logins.
> I am afraid of using an admin user in application.
>
> We are considering something like grace period or counting # of logins
> left before expiration during login and force user to change password
> before it expires.

The following may help - perhaps not in a native PB application

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131024(SQL.90).aspx

0
Scott

Error while establishing a connection to the SQL server 2005
Hi, I had an old web application created during asp.net 1.1 and it have a connection problem with the sql server 2005 when it is mirgrated to a new webserver with dotnet framework 2.0 platform. I have enabled the remote access(TCP/IP and named pipes) in sql server 2005, did all the neccessary things, check whether the TCP/IP is enabled, named pipe is enabled...  I created another web application using VS 2005. The database connection works perfectly well.This are the connectionString from the old web application.<appSettings>    <add key="ConnectionString" value=...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all
When i enter log in, I get the following error page.    Server Error in '/' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the err...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #6
hi there! I've uploaded my website at online server. which has its database on its local server. Now whenever Im trying to open the website. I get the following message instead of website. "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) " Im using sql server 2000 for database. Asp.net 2.0 Please hel...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #2
I get the following error and have been trying to figure out why I keep getting it.  Initially, I had placed my project under wwwroot folder and ran it under IIS and it gave this error.  Then I moved it to my local C drive and same thing.  I am sharing this project with two other co-workers and all our config files and code files are same...they don't get this error but I do.  I checked that SQL Server Client Network Utility has TCP/IP and the 'Named Pipes' enabled.  I thought maybe I have setting in the Visual Studio 2005 that I'm not aware of that&#...

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allo
My site works fine in VWD2008 express, but I get this error when I try to use it on my live website. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.  According to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914277  I am supposed to: 1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration. Ok, th...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #3
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, Hi  I think you are trying to connect with remote server using windows authentication mode.Sql won't allow this ,so try to connect with server using sql authentication mode with(username and password)Happy ProgrammingShashi.  Check if this thread on the same discussion can help.http://forums.asp.net/p/1193329/2062685.aspx...

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #4

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not all #5
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)   <sessionState mode="SQLServer"sqlConnectionString="data source=LHX00CNU7401SQG\Session; integrated security=true"/>   I have done all the settings: --> enabling the protocols --> Starting teh SQlbrowser but still no luck. Pleas...

SQL Express

Considerations converting powerbuilder connection from the native sql server connection to OLE DB
We have an application which was upgraded from PB8.0.3 to PB9 (original build) . The application formerly used sql servers native connection. The application is now coded to use OLEDB. We are running into minor issues that were not present with the native connection. Example: you have a stored procedure called "sp_test" that has one argument, @dummy. We would normally execute the procedure like this: EXEC sp_test 'test_value' ^ But when using OLE-DB, you have to include the parameter name, like this: EXEC sp_test @dummy='test_value' ^ Now we ...

new thread unable to connect sql server 2005 giving user is not associated with trusted sql server connection
Hi everyone,I am a bit new to .NET and IIS 5.0-6.0. We are developing Web Application, developers having loacal IIS 5.1 and SQL server 2005 on same machine, web.config have connection string with <connectionString="Data Source=D103A;Initial Catalog=enRouteV3.SLM;Integrated Security=True"> and on IIS, the virtual directory has "Directory Security" setting as "Intergrated Windows Authetication". It was working OK. When DB server and IIS moved to two different machine, not in common domain, infect both are independent...

Web resources about - SQL Server connection when password need to change first login - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack
Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...