OLE DB vs. MSS MS SQL Server 6.x to MSS 7.0 DBMS

I'm looking for info on the pros and cons of using OLE DB to connect to a MSS
7.0 database compared to using the native database driver.

I've tried it both ways, and they both seem to work for client our client server
apps.  It seems as though the native MSS 6.x driver is easier to configure.  And
we appear to be able to read and write data OK.  Are there any gotchas lurking
out there?  Can anyone provide a reference?

Thanks,

Marvin Young
marvy@atg.wa.gov
Marvin

I just finished talking to a guy from microsoft and he confirmed what I have
detected on this news server. The old direct interface to SQL Server
(pbmssxx.dll) used the DB Lib interface which Microsoft has discontinued for
SQL Server 7.0. You can still interface with SQL Server using the old
technique but you can't get to much of the expanded capability, e.g. try
creating a column varchar(500) and put more than 255 characters of actual
data in it. You can't manipulate it with the native driver in the standard
fashion but you should be able to with OLE DB.
Marvin Young <marvy@atg.wa.gov> wrote in message
> I'm looking for info on the pros and cons of using OLE DB to connect to a
MSS
> 7.0 database compared to using the native database driver.
>
> I've tried it both ways, and they both seem to work for client our client
server
> apps.  It seems as though the native MSS 6.x driver is easier to
configure.  And
> we appear to be able to read and write data OK.  Are there any gotchas
lurking
> out there?  Can anyone provide a reference?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marvin Young
> marvy@atg.wa.gov

jry

MSS MS SQL Sever 6.X native interface for MS SQL Server 7.0 ?
Is MSS MS SQL Server 6.X, the native interface to use in db-painter for MS SQL Server 7.0? It works fine but is it right? OLE DB also works fine but RESELECTROW does not work in our app. with OLE DB. Regards, Henrik Peder Madsen DM Software ...

PB6.5 connect MS SQL 2005 using native driver (DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0)
Is it possible PB 6.5 using "DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0" to connect MS SQL 2005? The existing application is PB6.5 using "DBMS=MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0" to connect MS SQL 2000. It is work fine. John Hi John; AFAIK .. it should work. The only restrictions would be 1) PB 6.5 will not understand SS2005 functionality. You will be restricted to the SS 6.0 (as you are today with SS2000) feature set. 2) The MSS setting connects using the NTDBLIB.dll from MS. I do not believe that this is supplied with SS2005. So you will need to install the SS20...

Problems with db-library and ODBC using with MS SQL Server ver 7.0 PowerBuilder ver 6.5. And OLE-DB for Microsoft OLAP Services
There are many problems when running the aplication using the new ODBC driver for SQL ver 7. Simple, does not work. It�s any patch to this problem ? Using DB Library makes poor query plans in some case using SQL Server 7.0. It�s any path ? It�s any patch or utility to use OLE-DB for connecting Microsoft OLAP Services ? Carlos Lara darsa@solnet.com.mx ...

A Problem to Connect SQL Server 2000 Through MSS MS SQL Server 6.x Interaface
Hi, We have two SQL Server 2000 database servers. I have no problem to connect serverA through MSS MS SQL Server 6.X. But I cannot connect to serverB through MSS MS SQL Server 6.X. I tried to connect to serverB through ODBC. It is connected well, but there was error message said "Catalog tables could not be created and are not available for use." My PowerBuilder version is 7.0.2 and build 8046. Mindy ...

Connectivity with OLE DB (MS SQL Server 7.0)
Hello: I have a powerbuilder executable running under Windows 95 connecting to MS SQL Server 7.0 using the OLE DB interface. This exe is stored on a network application server in it's own directory along with the following dll's: pbdwe70.dll pbvm70.dll pbole70.dll sqloledb.dll libjcc.dll dbnmpntw.dll pfccom32.dll The application runs fine on the developers machine. It will not connect on other machines. The Microsoft data access components are a basic component of the user's machines. When run on the developer's machine, pbole70.dll appears to call a function ca...

Stored procedures,MSS Sql Server 7.0, and Powerbuilder 6.5
I have a stored procedure that performs an update of a table based upon two input values, a "char(12)" and an "int" type. When running this update inside SQL Server 7.0, it works. However, when I run it in my Powerbuilder application, I get the error "Invalid character value for cast specification", as though I have some data type compatability error. I checked my code and everything seems appropriately typed. Also, it seemed that when I was using SQL Server 6.5, everything worked fine. Any insights out there? There was a bug reported with numeric dat...

problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5
Dear All, I have some problem when connecting MS SQL Server 7.0 with powerbuilder 6.5 The error message is: Database transaction information not availiable. Call SetTrans or SetTransObject function. I have a window with 1 button and 1 datawindow The datawindow inside contain a SQL statement in the click event of the botton, the script is: parent.dw_1.SettransObject(SQLCA) parent.dw_1.retrieve() Can anyone tell me what is the problem? And how to solve it??? Thank You Very Much!!! It seems that the database connection is not available or not successfully connected. ...

migrating db from ASA 6.0.2 to MS SQL Server 7.0
Hi , I got a 6.0.2 ASA db which we are planning to shift to sql server 7.0 what are the implications for backend as well as embedded sql in pb ? am using pb 7.0.1 build 7021 one thing to note is that the data is arabic data too and the code page used to store it was 850 multilingual should i change the code page in sql server 7.0 to 1256 arabic will there be any problems ? Also what is the best way of migrating the db ? any help greatly appreciated regards, manish Your triggers will all have to be rewritten if you wrote then in Watcom syntax or if you used the ...

Connect MS-SQL 7.0 in PowerBuilder 7.0
In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? Please post to the powersoft.public.powerbuilder newsgroups This is dedicated to PB issues when used within Jaguar Masun wrote: > In PowerBuilder 6.5, I can connect MS-SQL 6.5 directly not using ODBC, but > in PowerBuilder 7.0, how can I connect MS-SQL 7.0 directly ? ...

PB 8.0.0.1
We have a module whereby we insert/update records using a SP. We grab all the datawindow column values into variables and execute the SP using those variables. The SP has 90 parameteres. I get a GPF when calling this SP using OLE DB. The same thing works fine using native driver. I am using PB 8.0.1 ( Build 8004 ) and MS SQL Server 7.0 on a Windows 2000 computer. Any help in this matter will be appreciated. Thanks, Ashish. Are any of those parameters OUT parameters? Are you calling the stored procedure in embedded SQL or as via RPCFUNC on the transaction object? ...