ODBC for PowerBuilder connecting to Oracle 8

I've got a legacy PB4 application on Win 95 and 3x clients that I haven't been
able to get to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5 database on Windows NT.  PB4 isn't
working properly with SQL*Net 2.3.3, the client that comes on the Oracle 8 CD.
Would it be easier to use ODBC to connect than SQL*Net?  Please advise.
0
newt

Most PB4 apps are 16 bit, and I'm guessing that the SQL*NET you have installed
on that machine is 32 bit.  You either need to (a) use a 32 bit version of
SQL*NET or (b) install the 16 bit version of SQL*NET.  (I would recommend
the former of the two).  Also, you need to make sure that the version of
SQL*NET matches the DBMS parameter you use.  For SQL*NET 2.3, you need to use
the O73 driver.

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999 06:20:41 -0400,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.connectivity
newt <newt@deja.com> wrote:
>I've got a legacy PB4 application on Win 95 and 3x clients that I haven't been
>able to get to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5 database on Windows NT.  PB4 isn't
>working properly with SQL*Net 2.3.3, the client that comes on the Oracle 8 CD.
>Would it be easier to use ODBC to connect than SQL*Net?  Please advise.

---
Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]            | Romac/Source International
mailto:Bruce.Armstrong@teamsybase.com   | mailto:jobs@sourcela.com
                                        | http://www.romac-source.com

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.kidbrothers.org                http://www.fccwc.org
http://www.harvest.org/knowgod/index.htm

Bruce
8/30/1999 2:35:31 PM
To add to what Bruce said:  ODBC is not a replacement for SQLNET.  SQLNET is
the actual middleware that enables an application to talk to an Oracle
database.  ODBC, PB native drivers both require sqlnet.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
newt wrote in message ...
>I've got a legacy PB4 application on Win 95 and 3x clients that I haven't
been
>able to get to connect to an Oracle 8.0.5 database on Windows NT.  PB4
isn't
>working properly with SQL*Net 2.3.3, the client that comes on the Oracle 8
CD.
>Would it be easier to use ODBC to connect than SQL*Net?  Please advise.

0
Terry