ODBC connection problem

I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user.  I
am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2 latest
update.  The OS on the target machine is either Vista 32 bit
or XP 32 bit.  I am having problems getting my application
to the read the ODBC data for the second database
connection.

On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works well.
My program has two database connections.  One for a local
database and one to a remote database that collects data to
do billing.

On the target machines the program connects to the local
database without any problem.  When it tries to connect to
the remote database the information about the connection in
the registry cannot be found.  The program starts the ODBC
login window.  The DSN specified is correct.  However it
appears the the program cannot see any of the entries
(server name, database name, user id, password, and
commlinks data) in the registry for the connection, they are
blank.

I populate the data for the ODBC connection from my
installation program.  Much of the information is encrypted.
 The program decrypts the data and copies the new valuies to
the registry.  This works properly; I can see the entries
are changed in the registry using Regedit.  After the
changes are made I issue the connect statement.  After the
connect statement is completed I change everything back to
the original encrypted values in the registry; this also
works properly.

The main problem seems to be the DSN values in ODBC.INI in
the registry are not seen by the program in the connect
statement. The connect statement appears to be looking at
another location in the registry. I get the message "No data
was found to satisfy the request." on the "connect using
this" statement.

The way the program is configured is to use the DSN from the
the DBParm value for all calculations in the rest of the
program.  If I had any mistakes at this point the program
would not correctly change the data values from the
encrypted values.
0
David

David

is the target machine 64 Bit Windows as well? Are you mixing 32 and 64
bit ODBC entries?

Arthur

David wrote:

> I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user.  I
> am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2 latest
> update.  The OS on the target machine is either Vista 32 bit
> or XP 32 bit.  I am having problems getting my application
> to the read the ODBC data for the second database
> connection.
>
> On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works well.
> My program has two database connections.  One for a local
> database and one to a remote database that collects data to
> do billing.
>
> On the target machines the program connects to the local
> database without any problem.  When it tries to connect to
> the remote database the information about the connection in
> the registry cannot be found.  The program starts the ODBC
> login window.  The DSN specified is correct.  However it
> appears the the program cannot see any of the entries
> (server name, database name, user id, password, and
> commlinks data) in the registry for the connection, they are
> blank.
>
> I populate the data for the ODBC connection from my
> installation program.  Much of the information is encrypted.
>  The program decrypts the data and copies the new valuies to
> the registry.  This works properly; I can see the entries
> are changed in the registry using Regedit.  After the
> changes are made I issue the connect statement.  After the
> connect statement is completed I change everything back to
> the original encrypted values in the registry; this also
> works properly.
>
> The main problem seems to be the DSN values in ODBC.INI in
> the registry are not seen by the program in the connect
> statement. The connect statement appears to be looking at
> another location in the registry. I get the message "No data
> was found to satisfy the request." on the "connect using
> this" statement.
>
> The way the program is configured is to use the DSN from the
> the DBParm value for all calculations in the rest of the
> program.  If I had any mistakes at this point the program
> would not correctly change the data values from the
> encrypted values.

0
Arthur
7/8/2009 4:30:30 PM
Arthur,

The target machines are all 32 bit.  I use 32 bit
exclusively
for the application.
> David
>
> is the target machine 64 Bit Windows as well? Are you
> mixing 32 and 64 bit ODBC entries?
>
> Arthur
>
> David wrote:
>
> > I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user.
> >  I am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2
> > latest update.  The OS on the target machine is either
> > Vista 32 bit or XP 32 bit.  I am having problems getting
> > my application to the read the ODBC data for the second
> > database connection.
> >
> > On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works
> > well.  My program has two database connections.  One for
> > a local database and one to a remote database that
> > collects data to do billing.
> >
> > On the target machines the program connects to the local
> > database without any problem.  When it tries to connect
> > to the remote database the information about the
> > connection in the registry cannot be found.  The program
> > starts the ODBC login window.  The DSN specified is
> > correct.  However it appears the the program cannot see
> > any of the entries (server name, database name, user id,
> > password, and commlinks data) in the registry for the
> > connection, they are blank.
> >
> > I populate the data for the ODBC connection from my
> > installation program.  Much of the information is
> >  encrypted. The program decrypts the data and copies the
> > new valuies to the registry.  This works properly; I can
> > see the entries are changed in the registry using
> > Regedit.  After the changes are made I issue the connect
> > statement.  After the connect statement is completed I
> > change everything back to the original encrypted values
> > in the registry; this also works properly.
> >
> > The main problem seems to be the DSN values in ODBC.INI
> > in the registry are not seen by the program in the
> > connect statement. The connect statement appears to be
> > looking at another location in the registry. I get the
> > message "No data was found to satisfy the request." on
> > the "connect using this" statement.
> >
> > The way the program is configured is to use the DSN from
> > the the DBParm value for all calculations in the rest of
> > the program.  If I had any mistakes at this point the
> > program would not correctly change the data values from
> > the encrypted values.

0
David
7/9/2009 2:01:06 AM
David

can you see the entry with all the required fields in the ODBC
Administrator? Is the entry a System DSN? If so is there an empty User
DSN with the same name?
How about the rights of the user running the application on the target
machine?

Arthur

David wrote:

> Arthur,
>
> The target machines are all 32 bit.  I use 32 bit
> exclusively
> for the application.
> > David
> >
> > is the target machine 64 Bit Windows as well? Are you
> > mixing 32 and 64 bit ODBC entries?
> >
> > Arthur
> >
> > David wrote:
> >
> > > I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user.
> > >  I am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2
> > > latest update.  The OS on the target machine is either
> > > Vista 32 bit or XP 32 bit.  I am having problems getting
> > > my application to the read the ODBC data for the second
> > > database connection.
> > >
> > > On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works
> > > well.  My program has two database connections.  One for
> > > a local database and one to a remote database that
> > > collects data to do billing.
> > >
> > > On the target machines the program connects to the local
> > > database without any problem.  When it tries to connect
> > > to the remote database the information about the
> > > connection in the registry cannot be found.  The program
> > > starts the ODBC login window.  The DSN specified is
> > > correct.  However it appears the the program cannot see
> > > any of the entries (server name, database name, user id,
> > > password, and commlinks data) in the registry for the
> > > connection, they are blank.
> > >
> > > I populate the data for the ODBC connection from my
> > > installation program.  Much of the information is
> > >  encrypted. The program decrypts the data and copies the
> > > new valuies to the registry.  This works properly; I can
> > > see the entries are changed in the registry using
> > > Regedit.  After the changes are made I issue the connect
> > > statement.  After the connect statement is completed I
> > > change everything back to the original encrypted values
> > > in the registry; this also works properly.
> > >
> > > The main problem seems to be the DSN values in ODBC.INI
> > > in the registry are not seen by the program in the
> > > connect statement. The connect statement appears to be
> > > looking at another location in the registry. I get the
> > > message "No data was found to satisfy the request." on
> > > the "connect using this" statement.
> > >
> > > The way the program is configured is to use the DSN from
> > > the the DBParm value for all calculations in the rest of
> > > the program.  If I had any mistakes at this point the
> > > program would not correctly change the data values from
> > > the encrypted values.

0
Arthur
7/9/2009 3:36:36 AM
I assume that the database can be started on the deployment machine
without error. Please verify by manually starting up the database at the
command line (if you have not already done so).

i.e.,  dbeng9 <your_database_file>

-or    rteng9 <your_database_file>

>> I get the message "No data
>> was found to satisfy the request." on the "connect using
>> this" statement.

This is not an error that I would expect if the connection is failing.
This would be be an  And it is not a SQL Anywhere error message. It
might be helpful to the see the transaction objects SQLDBCode and
SQLErrText at the time the "No data was found to satisfy the request".

I think it would also be helpful to have a debug logs enabled when
testing this statement.

For the client side:
If you DBPARM is simply pointing to the dsn, can you enable debug
logging in the DSN. To do so,
1) configure the DSN in the ODBC Data Source Administrator
2) go to the Advanced Tab
3) check "Display debugging information in a log file"
4) set a log file fully qualified name in "Log file"

For the Server side:

Start the database engine with -z -o <server_console_log_file>

Run your application until this error is displayed. Look at the contents
of the client log file and verify the 'connection string' as being what
you expect. You should also try to connect using that connection string
using one of the command line tools i.e. dbisqlc -c "<connection
string>" to verify that it in fact works. Look at the server log and
verify that it is getting the connection request and the state of that
connection from the database server perspective.

I would ask you to post the contents of these files given your use of
encryption that would not be possible.

>>  The program decrypts the data and copies the new valuies to
>> the registry.  This works properly; I can see the entries
>> are changed in the registry using Regedit.

Unless your application requires the values to be exposed (decrypted)
for short periods and easily determined (a registry monitoring tool can
easily detect this technique), you could simply avoid writing the
decrypted values to the registry. To do so, use a DSNless connection.
You simply need to identify the driver to use and the connection string.
You can build that connection string during the decryption process.

i.e.,

SQLCA.DbParm="Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0;
	Eng=<server_name";DBN=<database_name>;
	UID=<user_id>;PWD=<password;
	<additional_connection-parms>"

The bracketed values will be supplied from the decrypted values from the
registry.

-chris

David wrote:
> I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user.  I
> am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2 latest
> update.  The OS on the target machine is either Vista 32 bit
> or XP 32 bit.  I am having problems getting my application
> to the read the ODBC data for the second database
> connection.
>
> On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works well.
> My program has two database connections.  One for a local
> database and one to a remote database that collects data to
> do billing.
>
> On the target machines the program connects to the local
> database without any problem.  When it tries to connect to
> the remote database the information about the connection in
> the registry cannot be found.  The program starts the ODBC
> login window.  The DSN specified is correct.  However it
> appears the the program cannot see any of the entries
> (server name, database name, user id, password, and
> commlinks data) in the registry for the connection, they are
> blank.
>
> I populate the data for the ODBC connection from my
> installation program.  Much of the information is encrypted.
>  The program decrypts the data and copies the new valuies to
> the registry.  This works properly; I can see the entries
> are changed in the registry using Regedit.  After the
> changes are made I issue the connect statement.  After the
> connect statement is completed I change everything back to
> the original encrypted values in the registry; this also
> works properly.
>
> The main problem seems to be the DSN values in ODBC.INI in
> the registry are not seen by the program in the connect
> statement. The connect statement appears to be looking at
> another location in the registry. I get the message "No data
> was found to satisfy the request." on the "connect using
> this" statement.
>
> The way the program is configured is to use the DSN from the
> the DBParm value for all calculations in the rest of the
> program.  If I had any mistakes at this point the program
> would not correctly change the data values from the
> encrypted values.
0
Chris

not connected when I am connected

Problem wit migrating Informix Firedac ODBC connection to Infx Connection
Now Firedac in XE6 supports Informix natively besides odbc, i decided to use the native way from now on. However, i came up with some odd behaviour: Take the following query: select * from fys_punt_im where nummer = "1000"; Where column nummer is of type varchar(10). When executing this query using Firedac Infx connection i get the error: ERROR: SQL state: 42S22. Native error: -217. Error message: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Column (1000) not found in any table in the query (or SLV is undefined). However when executing the same query using Firedac ODBC conn...

Client Connections and PowerBuilder connections
What do I need to do to my NT box to be able to run a browser from a client machine to run the demo database/tutorial? I am able to run the demo from the NT server itself, but would like to test client connectivity. My client has browser capability. Furthermore, I am anticipating on using Jaguar as a middle tier for accepting communications from PowerBuilder. Jaguar would then take the SQL and pass the information onto a SYBASE SQL Server. I am not even concerned with any of the business logic that may be involved but am more interested in getting Jaguar to be a middle tier while...

Connection from PowerBuilder connects to Internet
We have a client who has experienced a problem I've seen posted on this forum but can't find now. When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I remember that it's a problem with their version of the winsock.dll, but I don't remember the recommended solution. Thanks for you help, James Clanton >When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their >connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I >rem...

Problem : VB 6 ADO-application connection with ODBC driver 3.11 (or 3.60) to ASE 11.9.2 needs multiple connections
Hello, we are running Visual Basic applications (VB 6) which use ADO and Sybase ODBC driver 3.11 (or 3.60) to connect to ASE 11.9.2. We configured the 'select method' to be direct. This configuration results in login/logouts to the database for every single select statement. Has anybody else encountered this problem and knows how to fix it ? I know that configuring cursor select method solves the problem. But then every statement is executed as an server cursor, which is much slower then a standard select. I think the prolem has something to with the interface between AD...

Connection problem while there are 6-8 connection
I have a web application by Access Data Connection.  While there are 6 - 8 connection to my application, an error message are appeared: Unspecified error Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified errorSource Error: Line 34: Dim Database = "Data Source=" & Current.Server.MapPath(DBFileName) Line 35: Conn = New System.Data.OleDb.OleD...

connection cache problem Connection not open
I am able to connect to the connection cache the first few time. Then I will get this error. Is there a timeout or something? SQLSTATE = 08003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Connection not open also, some time i get this error: Feb 16 15:55:49 2001: cm__oci_error: Open Cursor. Feb 16 15:55:49 2001: cm__oci_error: Close failure. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- --- Jaguar Memory Error: invalid prefix (40000002) for memory block (3109F9E0) (probably caused by the continued use of a freed memory block) ...

Connection Pooling
Hi All, You've probably had this question a thousand times - but i can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for. So here goes; I sit down at the start of the day, and begin working on my application. In this case, a specific table / set of pages. A few hours go by - and i get the following error: --- Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached. --- So - at this point i think "strange" so i run the same application from ano...

ODBC Connection problem
Hi,... PowerBuilder 7.0.2 Anywhere 7.0 PIII 600 128 MB RAM Problem is: when i made my ini file to connect to the database, if their is any problem with connection the ODBC window appear, how can i disappear this window, i'd like to manage this window, and display my own message -- --- Thanks... Osama Diab diab98@hotmail.com i-o@link.net ...

ODBC Connecting Problem
Hi there, I'm using ASP and Sybase ASE 11.9.2. And I encountered a connection issue, when the .asp try connect to production db server (it works fine for development server). The follwoing is the error msg :- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver][SQL Server]ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out. Any idea ? Thanks in advance. rgs, cslook Are your production server avaliable through network? Had you tried a ping? Had been you configured ...

ODBC connection problems
I am new to SQL Anywhere using version 5.5.01. When I try to establish an ODBC connection from a client machine to a network server, it usually takes between 30 and 45 seconds to establish the connection. This seems terribly slow and makes quick on-the-fly queries impracticable. Am I missing something?. I specify a server name and database name in the ODBC dsn definition but is there any more I can do to say where the network server is running? I use TCP/IP and 32bit Netware client software on windows 95 and NT 4. Also, if there is no way around this problem, is it possible to leav...

ODBC Connections with PowerBuilder
This is actually a follow up to my previous "PB5.0 Connection to Watcom DB." We upgraded the PB libraries to 5.0.04 and were able to solve the "The allocation of the connection handle failed" problem. However, the "The command extension block could not be allocated" still happens when: 1) Start a PB application with an ODBC connection and leave it running. 2) Start and end a second PB application with an ODBC connection. 3) Repeat step 2 24 times. 4) When the second app is started the 25th time we get the "The command extension block could not ...

ODBC connect problem
I use PB v 6.5 build 444 on Windows ME. I can not connect to MS Access database. When I try to open list of tables in Database painter I get an error message: "SQLSTATE=S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Program type out of range" PS It looks like I have same problem in Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Thanks for any suggestion Try 6.5.1. On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:33:34 -0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.connectivity Stan <sshvabsky@yahoo.com> wrote: >I use PB v 6.5 build 444 on Windows ME. >I can not connect to MS Access database. When I try to ...

odbc connect problem
On my machine Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Service Pack 3 I run successfully and connect to a DB2 database. When I put the compiled application on a user's machine which has (under Programs, a selection that says db2 for Windows NT) and run I get the following error: SQLDBCode 999 SQLerrtext DBMX ODBC is not supported in your current installation Does anyone have a light to shed on this one? Thanks Jerry OBrien You are missing the file DBODBxx.DLL or it is not in the path. Note xx is the version of the DLL. . /ck "Jerry OBrien" <obrienje@o...

Web resources about - ODBC connection problem - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.

Test Claims To Show T-Mobile’s YouTube “Optimization” Is Just Connection Throttling
... on the same network, and at the same time of day. They tested video streaming against three other kinds of downloads and measured the connection ...