ODBC connection in Win7 , OK in IDE, not in EXE

Win 7 Pro; PB 9, MS ACCESS 2007; ODBC connection problem.

I have installed PB 9 on my WIN 7 Pro system. Works fine.
ODBC connection to MS Access 2007 works fine in IDE; (DB
painter shows connect and table objects etc. Running in IDE
DB connects with no problem. )
Creating an EXE and running it - connection fails. (The APP
EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same configuration
file and DSN, all verified via trace.
(I have made no attempt to create an install package.
However I have run the PB runtime packager to create an MSI
file and have run that just to see if it made any
difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as administrator"
also makes no difference.)

Suggestions? TIA.
0
Bill

A little more debug information would help. What error code and message
is reported when the connection fails i.e, what are the properties of
the transaction object when the problem occurs?

Bill Chestnut wrote:
> Win 7 Pro; PB 9, MS ACCESS 2007; ODBC connection problem.
>
> I have installed PB 9 on my WIN 7 Pro system. Works fine.
> ODBC connection to MS Access 2007 works fine in IDE; (DB
> painter shows connect and table objects etc. Running in IDE
> DB connects with no problem. )
> Creating an EXE and running it - connection fails. (The APP
> EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same configuration
> file and DSN, all verified via trace.
> (I have made no attempt to create an install package.
> However I have run the PB runtime packager to create an MSI
> file and have run that just to see if it made any
> difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as administrator"
> also makes no difference.)
>

> Suggestions? TIA.
0
Chris
7/11/2010 9:54:12 PM
Pardon the delay in responding to your question - the
following are the Transaction properties pertaining to the
error:
SQLCode: -1
SQLDBCode: 999
SQLErrtext: DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
installation. NO DB CONNECTION

I cannot see why this error message points to the problem,
since the same ODBC connection (System DSN) is used in both
the development environment and the the EXE.
Is it possible that it is because Win7 is doing something
different with ODBC when running from the development
environment than when running the EXE?

This is using the emulator environment and the
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
in Win7 Pro.

But it appears to be picking up the DSN and translating it
correctly into finding the right MDB file. Perhaps it is
nevertheless a driver problem.

===============================

> A little more debug information would help. What error
> code and message  is reported when the connection fails
> i.e, what are the properties of  the transaction object
> when the problem occurs?
>
> Bill Chestnut wrote:
> > Win 7 Pro; PB 9, MS ACCESS 2007; ODBC connection
> > problem.
> > I have installed PB 9 on my WIN 7 Pro system. Works
> > fine. ODBC connection to MS Access 2007 works fine in
> > IDE; (DB painter shows connect and table objects etc.
> > Running in IDE DB connects with no problem. )
> > Creating an EXE and running it - connection fails. (The
> > APP EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same
> > configuration file and DSN, all verified via trace.
> > (I have made no attempt to create an install package.
> > However I have run the PB runtime packager to create an
> > MSI file and have run that just to see if it made any
> > difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as
> > administrator" also makes no difference.)
> >

> > Suggestions? TIA.
0
Bill
7/14/2010 4:12:25 AM
This error can only occur if the client software is not found - unlikely
in the case of ODBC - or if the PB database interface file is not found.

If there was a problem with the DSN (i.e., cannot be found, not
defined), the error would be different and would be from the ODBC driver
manager (likely a -126 error).

-chris

Bill Chestnut wrote:
> Pardon the delay in responding to your question - the
> following are the Transaction properties pertaining to the
> error:
> SQLCode: -1
> SQLDBCode: 999
> SQLErrtext: DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
> installation. NO DB CONNECTION
>
> I cannot see why this error message points to the problem,
> since the same ODBC connection (System DSN) is used in both
> the development environment and the the EXE.
> Is it possible that it is because Win7 is doing something
> different with ODBC when running from the development
> environment than when running the EXE?
>
> This is using the emulator environment and the
> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
> in Win7 Pro.
>
> But it appears to be picking up the DSN and translating it
> correctly into finding the right MDB file. Perhaps it is
> nevertheless a driver problem.
>

> ===============================
>
>> A little more debug information would help. What error
>> code and message  is reported when the connection fails
>> i.e, what are the properties of  the transaction object
>> when the problem occurs?
>>
>> Bill Chestnut wrote:
>>> Win 7 Pro; PB 9, MS ACCESS 2007; ODBC connection
>>> problem.
>>> I have installed PB 9 on my WIN 7 Pro system. Works
>>> fine. ODBC connection to MS Access 2007 works fine in
>>> IDE; (DB painter shows connect and table objects etc.
>>> Running in IDE DB connects with no problem. )
>>> Creating an EXE and running it - connection fails. (The
>>> APP EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same
>>> configuration file and DSN, all verified via trace.
>>> (I have made no attempt to create an install package.
>>> However I have run the PB runtime packager to create an
>>> MSI file and have run that just to see if it made any
>>> difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as
>>> administrator" also makes no difference.)
>>>

>>> Suggestions? TIA.
0
Chris
7/14/2010 10:17:49 AM
Re - "the PB database interface file is not found." If this
error does not occur when running within the IDE, what would
cause it to occur when executing the EXE?

> This error can only occur if the client software is not
> found - unlikely  in the case of ODBC - or if the PB
> database interface file is not found.
>
> If there was a problem with the DSN (i.e., cannot be found
> , not  defined), the error would be different and would be
> from the ODBC driver  manager (likely a -126 error).
>
> -chris
>

> Bill Chestnut wrote:
> > Pardon the delay in responding to your question - the
> > following are the Transaction properties pertaining to
> > the error:
> > SQLCode: -1
> > SQLDBCode: 999
> > SQLErrtext: DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
> > installation. NO DB CONNECTION
> >
> > I cannot see why this error message points to the
> > problem, since the same ODBC connection (System DSN) is
> > used in both the development environment and the the
> > EXE. Is it possible that it is because Win7 is doing
> > something different with ODBC when running from the
> > development environment than when running the EXE?
> >
> > This is using the emulator environment and the
> > C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
> > in Win7 Pro.
> >
> > But it appears to be picking up the DSN and translating
> > it correctly into finding the right MDB file. Perhaps it
> > is nevertheless a driver problem.
> >

> > ===============================
> >
> >> A little more debug information would help. What error
> >> code and message  is reported when the connection fails
> >> i.e, what are the properties of  the transaction object
> >> when the problem occurs?

> (The >>> APP EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same
> an >>> MSI file and have run that just to see if it made
> any >>> difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as

0
Bill
7/14/2010 10:04:22 PM
It should also be mentioned that when this app is compiled
(to PBDs) in the older environments (Win2K Pro thru XP) this
problem does not arise. So it appears that there is
something different about the Win7 pro environment ...?

> This error can only occur if the client software is not
> found - unlikely  in the case of ODBC - or if the PB
> database interface file is not found.
>
> If there was a problem with the DSN (i.e., cannot be found
> , not  defined), the error would be different and would be
> from the ODBC driver  manager (likely a -126 error).
>
> -chris
>

> Bill Chestnut wrote:
> > Pardon the delay in responding to your question - the
> > following are the Transaction properties pertaining to
> > the error:
> > SQLCode: -1
> > SQLDBCode: 999
> > SQLErrtext: DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
> > installation. NO DB CONNECTION
> >
> > I cannot see why this error message points to the
> > problem, since the same ODBC connection (System DSN) is
> > used in both the development environment and the the
> > EXE. Is it possible that it is because Win7 is doing
> > something different with ODBC when running from the
> > development environment than when running the EXE?
> >
> > This is using the emulator environment and the
> > C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
> > in Win7 Pro.
> >
> > But it appears to be picking up the DSN and translating
> > it correctly into finding the right MDB file. Perhaps it
> > is nevertheless a driver problem.
> >

> > ===============================
> >
> >> A little more debug information would help. What error
> >> code and message  is reported when the connection fails
> >> i.e, what are the properties of  the transaction object
> >> when the problem occurs?

> (The >>> APP EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same
> an >>> MSI file and have run that just to see if it made
> any >>> difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as

0
Bill
7/14/2010 10:15:05 PM
Is pbodbX.dll and pbodbX.ini files in the path?

Perhaps a tool such as ProcessExplorer (SysInternals) could help
determine the problem.

-chris

Bill Chestnut wrote:
> It should also be mentioned that when this app is compiled
> (to PBDs) in the older environments (Win2K Pro thru XP) this
> problem does not arise. So it appears that there is
> something different about the Win7 pro environment ...?
>

>> This error can only occur if the client software is not
>> found - unlikely  in the case of ODBC - or if the PB
>> database interface file is not found.
>>
>> If there was a problem with the DSN (i.e., cannot be found
>> , not  defined), the error would be different and would be
>> from the ODBC driver  manager (likely a -126 error).
>>
>> -chris
>>

>> Bill Chestnut wrote:
>>> Pardon the delay in responding to your question - the
>>> following are the Transaction properties pertaining to
>>> the error:
>>> SQLCode: -1
>>> SQLDBCode: 999
>>> SQLErrtext: DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current
>>> installation. NO DB CONNECTION
>>>
>>> I cannot see why this error message points to the
>>> problem, since the same ODBC connection (System DSN) is
>>> used in both the development environment and the the
>>> EXE. Is it possible that it is because Win7 is doing
>>> something different with ODBC when running from the
>>> development environment than when running the EXE?
>>>
>>> This is using the emulator environment and the
>>> C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
>>> in Win7 Pro.
>>>
>>> But it appears to be picking up the DSN and translating
>>> it correctly into finding the right MDB file. Perhaps it
>>> is nevertheless a driver problem.
>>>

>>> ===============================

>> (The >>> APP EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the same
>> an >>> MSI file and have run that just to see if it made
>> any >>> difference. It didn't. Running the EXE "as

0
Chris
7/15/2010 2:02:30 AM
Chris,
You get a GOLD STAR in your workbook. Those were precisely
the two files needed.
Working fine.
THNX a BUNCH.

> Is pbodbX.dll and pbodbX.ini files in the path?
>
> Perhaps a tool such as ProcessExplorer (SysInternals)
> could help  determine the problem.
>
> -chris
>

> Bill Chestnut wrote:
> > It should also be mentioned that when this app is
> > compiled (to PBDs) in the older environments (Win2K Pro
> > thru XP) this problem does not arise. So it appears that
> > there is something different about the Win7 pro
> > environment ...?
> >
> >> This error can only occur if the client software is not
> >> found - unlikely  in the case of ODBC - or if the PB
> >> database interface file is not found.
> >>
> >> If there was a problem with the DSN (i.e., cannot be
> found >> , not  defined), the error would be different and
> would be >> from the ODBC driver  manager (likely a -126
> error). >>
> >> -chris

> is >>> used in both the development environment and the
> the >>> EXE. Is it possible that it is because Win7 is
> doing >>> something different with ODBC when running from
> the >>> development environment than when running the EXE?

> translating >>> it correctly into finding the right MDB
> file. Perhaps it >>> is nevertheless a driver problem.

> error >>>> code and message  is reported when the
> connection fails >>>> i.e, what are the properties of  the
> transaction object >>>> when the problem occurs?

> in >>>>> IDE; (DB painter shows connect and table objects
> etc. >>>>> Running in IDE DB connects with no problem. )
> >> (The >>> APP EXE executes fine otherwise). Using the
> same >>>>> configuration file and DSN, all verified via
> trace. >>>>> (I have made no attempt to create an install
> package. >>>>> However I have run the PB runtime packager
> to create >> an >>> MSI file and have run that just to see
> if it made >> any >>> difference. It didn't. Running the
> EXE "as >>>>> administrator" also makes no difference.)

0
Bill

IDE Connection vs exe connection
I've run into a problem with an ado connection that I dont understand. I need to connect to a 9.7 Timberline database via ODBC. I have been using Delphi / ODBC to access Timberline data for many many years but with this new release I can no longer access the data. I've set up a very simple test program - adoconnection component, dataset component, datasource and grid to display the data. While in the IDE I can manually connect to the db, open the dataset and display the data. I also have a button on the form which does exactly the same thing, i.e. it connects the same...

not connected when I am connected

Connection from PowerBuilder connects to Internet
We have a client who has experienced a problem I've seen posted on this forum but can't find now. When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I remember that it's a problem with their version of the winsock.dll, but I don't remember the recommended solution. Thanks for you help, James Clanton >When they connect with our application to SQLAnywhere, they're getting their >connect to AOL dialog. They can cancel out and everything works. I >rem...

Client Connections and PowerBuilder connections
What do I need to do to my NT box to be able to run a browser from a client machine to run the demo database/tutorial? I am able to run the demo from the NT server itself, but would like to test client connectivity. My client has browser capability. Furthermore, I am anticipating on using Jaguar as a middle tier for accepting communications from PowerBuilder. Jaguar would then take the SQL and pass the information onto a SYBASE SQL Server. I am not even concerned with any of the business logic that may be involved but am more interested in getting Jaguar to be a middle tier while...

VS2005 IDE: Add Web Refernece. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has fa
 I have published a web service, but cannot connect to it in VS2005.  The Web Methods display, but I then get this error:A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond I CAN connect to it outside of VS2005 from IE, Stylus Studio, etc.  /Bob C in GRR Hi  Bob, That might be a problem with proxy. Please try this solution: http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/3871.aspx. Also you can refer to this article: http://msdn.microsoft...

ODBC Connections with PowerBuilder
This is actually a follow up to my previous "PB5.0 Connection to Watcom DB." We upgraded the PB libraries to 5.0.04 and were able to solve the "The allocation of the connection handle failed" problem. However, the "The command extension block could not be allocated" still happens when: 1) Start a PB application with an ODBC connection and leave it running. 2) Start and end a second PB application with an ODBC connection. 3) Repeat step 2 24 times. 4) When the second app is started the 25th time we get the "The command extension block could not ...

The connection is already open and the connection state is connecting.
Hello, I am getting this error time to time randomly. My web application is built on asp.net 3.5 which uses ODBC 5.1 driver to connect to mysql database. I have a separate database class which handles the connection, execute, fetching and all. The application runs fine for sometime then suddenly the users start getting this error after which the application fails to insert select from database. I have posted in this forum couple of times now and no one is really contributing or helping me. Please..Any help will be highly appreciated.. Many thanks, Viv The database abstract loo...

SFtp connect
The following Ftp connect to a sftp site has the right port/usrname/password [verified thru filezilla], but when I try to connect via TIDFTP -- I get "Connection Closed Gracefully" upon ftp->Connect();; The ftp properties are below the code. I have no other Indy objects on the form. It ocurred to me that I may need something for sftp. ftp->Connect(); if (ftp->Connected()) { ::Sleep(1); } object ftp: TIdFTP AutoLogin = True Host = 'ftp.dailyaccess.com' Password ='XXXXX' Port = 21 Username = 'charles.leggette' ProxySet...

JSP connection refused, PB connection OK
Greetings I'm setting up the production Jaguar for an oncoming stage 1 small release. This is on a new neverbeforeused installation on Solaris, Jaguar 3.6. My connection cache pings, but I wanted to install my old test component (PB) that retrieves a datastore and returns HTMLDW to make sure. This worked OK on our test Solaris and our development NT PC, same deployment. Trying to connect from JSP though (separate web server, IIS/JRUN) to the production component always gives "server4:9000 connection refused" after a wait. So, I connected from a client PB mini app that j...

Connecting Jaguar object to connection cache from PowerBuilder
I have the following code in PowerBuilder Jaguar User Object Activate event to connect to the transaction object to tea_thin Oracle connection cache which is working successfully. It fails to connect to database and the server log shows connect failed. Any help at the earliest will be highly appreciated. Thanks for your time. -Hitesh -------------------------------------------- ErrorLogging erlinfo_base this.GetContextService("TransactionServer", & txnsrv) this.GetContextService("ErrorLogging", & erlinfo_base) SQLCA.DBMS = "JDS" ...

ODBC admin -test connection ok, IQSL
Hello, ASA7 (all ebf's installed) Win98 Create ODBC dsn xxx, test connection forks fine. Trying to connect wrong ISQL or Sybase Central, select odbc dsn xxx and ISQL is opening ODBC admin window with incorrect server name and network parameters. Have installed the same on few PC's, and this situation(error) occurs only on one of it. What could be suitable to do/check? Thank you, And We've solved problem, when changes UserDNS to Sustem DNS. And "And" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:THnJkGAJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com... > Hello, >...

Connection to Access query works in developer envir, but not on the web <OleDbException (0x80004005): ODBC--connection to 'ODBC' failed>
I am VERY frustrated with a seemingly simple problem.  I am creating a gridview in VWD (express or studio), then connecting to a query within an Access Database.  The results of the query display without problem in the developer envirornment, but simply will not display when copied out to the website.  The ODBC connection that the Access Database is using fails even on the local machine.  I have spent fruitless hours looking at all security settings in IIS and the effected folders.  I could re-write all the access queries in SQL and connect to the server direct...

OpenVPN no connectivity after connecting
My goal with the OpenSuSE machine I have set up is to be an OpenVPN server. So far so good, I have started the server and I am able to connect a Mac client (running TunnelBlick) to the server. However the client doesn't have any connectivity, I can't ping any addresses for example. The server is set up for bridging instead of routing as I want the remote client to get an IP address in the same range as the rest of the LAN. The client is getting an IP address from the range specified in my server.conf file, so that's a start, but the client can't talk to anyone. ...

Powerbuilder ODBC Connection Details
One of our customers has asked me to supply a detailed description of how our application connects with their database. Powerbuilder provides such easy database connectivity that, well, I've never really thought about the nuts and bolts of connecting. When "SQLCA.DBMS= ODBC" and an ODBC DSN is specified, what files, etc., does the pb runtime expect to read? Any other details are appreciated. Thanks, Doug 1) The ODBC system files. This is so deeped rooted into the the Windows OS that I cannot list the specific files. The ODBC system files are included in ...

Web resources about - ODBC connection in Win7 , OK in IDE, not in EXE - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Fictional Lawyers Use Their Family Connections Too
This film character had a family connection to his lawyer.

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Man wanted in connection to Waco biker shooting arrested in Louisiana
A man wanted in the deadly shootout involving rival motorcycle gangs earlier this year in Texas was arrested in northwest Louisiana on Wednesday, ...