Invalid OLE DB provide name specified

Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4

My Connection String is as follows:
trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB"
trans_smulb.LogId = "sa"
trans_smulb.DBParm =
"PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'"

Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote
client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified".

I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compulsory?

TIA

0
zzak

If you use a native driver (including OLEDB) then you're going to need
to insure that provider is available on the client as well.  Have you
looked at using the ADO.Net driver instead?

On 13 Jul 2010 02:46:03 -0700, "zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote:

>Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4
>
>My Connection String is as follows:
>trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB"
>trans_smulb.LogId = "sa"
>trans_smulb.DBParm =
>"PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'"
>
>Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote
>client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified".
>
>I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compulsory?
>
>TIA
-----------------------------------

My Web 2.0 Stuff

Blog:      http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Bruce-Armstrong/1600223798
LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruceaarmstrong
Twitter:   http://twitter.com/bruce_armstrong
Ning:      http://powerbuilder.ning.com/profile/BruceArmstrong
Xing:      http://www.xing.com/profile/Bruce_Armstrong
YouTube:   http://www.youtube.com/user/brucearmstrong
Fotki:     http://public.fotki.com/brucearmstrong/
0
Bruce
7/13/2010 2:07:07 PM
Hi Zzak;

  Try using the native ASE driver (SQLCA.DBMS = "ASE"). The nice thing about
that is that you can install the client on a server and just add the
environment variables that point to the server where the client resides. Now
you can deploy the application to any PC with no ASE client install required
(just the env. var. setup).

    BTW: The native ASE driver that calls ASE's OpenClient is super fast.
Much faster than OLE-DB, ODBC and ADO.Net.

Food for thought!

Regards ... Chris
President: OSUG / STD Inc.
Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com

"zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote in message news:4c3c35db$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4
>
> My Connection String is as follows:
> trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB"
> trans_smulb.LogId = "sa"
> trans_smulb.DBParm =
> "PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'"
>
> Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote
> client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified".
>
> I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compulsory?
>
> TIA

0
Chris
7/13/2010 11:41:55 PM
Tkq Bruce.. Solved the problem by installing the open client at client pc..
I don't like that and I'm gonna check out ADO.Net

"Bruce Armstrong" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> If you use a native driver (including OLEDB) then you're going to need
> to insure that provider is available on the client as well.  Have you
> looked at using the ADO.Net driver instead?
>
> On 13 Jul 2010 02:46:03 -0700, "zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote:
>
>>Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4
>>
>>My Connection String is as follows:
>>trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB"
>>trans_smulb.LogId = "sa"
>>trans_smulb.DBParm =
>>"PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'"
>>
>>Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote
>>client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified".
>>
>>I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compulsory?
>>
>>TIA
> -----------------------------------
>
> My Web 2.0 Stuff
>
> Blog:      http://brucearmstrong.sys-con.com/
> Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/people/Bruce-Armstrong/1600223798
> LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/bruceaarmstrong
> Twitter:   http://twitter.com/bruce_armstrong
> Ning:      http://powerbuilder.ning.com/profile/BruceArmstrong
> Xing:      http://www.xing.com/profile/Bruce_Armstrong
> YouTube:   http://www.youtube.com/user/brucearmstrong
> Fotki:     http://public.fotki.com/brucearmstrong/

0
zzak
7/14/2010 1:44:28 PM
Hi Chris.. I really like the idea of this ASE driver. I have a couple of
questions though:
1.   What are the dll files needed to be deployed for it to work?
2.  How do I change the env. var. in the remote PC through smart client
deployment?

Are you talking about setting the PATH of the client's PC or more than that
like the SYBASE.Bat found in the installation CD.
Can you provide an example. I tried to find some information on this ASE
driver but there's nothing much on the web.

TIA

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
> Hi Zzak;
>
>  Try using the native ASE driver (SQLCA.DBMS = "ASE"). The nice thing
> about that is that you can install the client on a server and just add the
> environment variables that point to the server where the client resides.
> Now you can deploy the application to any PC with no ASE client install
> required (just the env. var. setup).
>
>    BTW: The native ASE driver that calls ASE's OpenClient is super fast.
> Much faster than OLE-DB, ODBC and ADO.Net.
>
> Food for thought!
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>

> "zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote in message news:4c3c35db$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4
>>
>> My Connection String is as follows:
>> trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB"
>> trans_smulb.LogId = "sa"
>> trans_smulb.DBParm =
>> "PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'"
>>
>> Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote
>> client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified".
>>
>> I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compulsory?
>>
>> TIA

0
zzak
7/14/2010 1:58:10 PM
Hi Zzak;

1) Install the ASE 12.5 open client on a PC and you will see all the DLL's.
I could list mine but I am using ASE 15.3.
2) You could use a proper installer (like NSIS)

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1029512

"zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote in message news:4c3dc272$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi Chris.. I really like the idea of this ASE driver. I have a couple of
> questions though:
> 1.   What are the dll files needed to be deployed for it to work?
> 2.  How do I change the env. var. in the remote PC through smart client
> deployment?
>
> Are you talking about setting the PATH of the client's PC or more than
> that like the SYBASE.Bat found in the installation CD.
> Can you provide an example. I tried to find some information on this ASE
> driver but there's nothing much on the web.
>
> TIA
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Zzak;
>>
>>  Try using the native ASE driver (SQLCA.DBMS = "ASE"). The nice thing
>> about that is that you can install the client on a server and just add
>> the environment variables that point to the server where the client
>> resides. Now you can deploy the application to any PC with no ASE client
>> install required (just the env. var. setup).
>>
>>    BTW: The native ASE driver that calls ASE's OpenClient is super fast.
>> Much faster than OLE-DB, ODBC and ADO.Net.
>>
>> Food for thought!
>>
>> Regards ... Chris
>> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
>> Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>>

>> "zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote in message
>>> Hi, I'm working on PB11.5 Winform Smart Client. Database is ASE 12.5.4
>>>
>>> My Connection String is as follows:
>>> trans_smulb.DBMS = "OLE DB"
>>> trans_smulb.LogId = "sa"
>>> trans_smulb.DBParm =
>>> "PROVIDER='Sybase.ASEOLEDBProvider',DATASOURCE='smulb',PROVIDERSTRING='Database=smulb',INIT_PROMPT='DBPROMPT_NOPROMPT'"
>>>
>>> Running locally on the same server works fine but running exe at remote
>>> client gives me this error "Invalid OLE DB provider name specified".
>>>
>>> I have not installed Open Client on the client PC. Is that compulsory?
>>>
>>> TIA

0
Chris
7/15/2010 4:07:09 AM
Thank you Chris.. I appreciate you help.
Looks like this "ASE" thing is Sybase's best kept secret. Really hard to
find working samples and documentations.

> Hi Zzak;
>
> 1) Install the ASE 12.5 open client on a PC and you will see all the
> DLL's. I could list mine but I am using ASE 15.3.
> 2) You could use a proper installer (like NSIS)
>
> http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1029512
>
> Regards ... Chris
> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
> Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>

> "zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote in message news:4c3dc272$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Hi Chris.. I really like the idea of this ASE driver. I have a couple of
>> questions though:
>> 1.   What are the dll files needed to be deployed for it to work?
>> 2.  How do I change the env. var. in the remote PC through smart client
>> deployment?
>>
>> Are you talking about setting the PATH of the client's PC or more than
>> that like the SYBASE.Bat found in the installation CD.
>> Can you provide an example. I tried to find some information on this ASE
>> driver but there's nothing much on the web.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi Zzak;
>>>
>>>  Try using the native ASE driver (SQLCA.DBMS = "ASE"). The nice thing
>>> about that is that you can install the client on a server and just add
>>> the environment variables that point to the server where the client
>>> resides. Now you can deploy the application to any PC with no ASE client
>>> install required (just the env. var. setup).
>>>
>>>    BTW: The native ASE driver that calls ASE's OpenClient is super fast.
>>> Much faster than OLE-DB, ODBC and ADO.Net.
>>>
>>> Food for thought!
>>>
>>> Regards ... Chris
>>> President: OSUG / STD Inc.
>>> Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
>>> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>>>

>>> "zzak" <zzak@live.com.my> wrote in message

0
zzak

Considerations converting powerbuilder connection from the native sql server connection to OLE DB
We have an application which was upgraded from PB8.0.3 to PB9 (original build) . The application formerly used sql servers native connection. The application is now coded to use OLEDB. We are running into minor issues that were not present with the native connection. Example: you have a stored procedure called "sp_test" that has one argument, @dummy. We would normally execute the procedure like this: EXEC sp_test 'test_value' ^ But when using OLE-DB, you have to include the parameter name, like this: EXEC sp_test @dummy='test_value' ^ Now we ...

Transaction Scope
Hello, I've a problem with a software developed in C# with the framework 2.0. This is the error I receive : The operation could not be performed because OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "XXX_LINKED_SERVER" was unable to begin a distributed transaction. OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "XXX_LINKED_SERVER" returned message "No transaction is active.". If I try directly to restart the process, it works fine. Is there someone who can help me ? This is the process 1. In C# --> Call of a Query : select from the linked s...

A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0
I have no clue what this error means: A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The specified network name is no longer available.) I get it when my webconfig connection string tries to authenticate against a SQL Server 2005 DatabaseWhen is Microsoft going to get rid of VB.NET! Does the same connection string work outside of your application as in from SQL Server management studio or within VS.NET ?Eric RamseurRainbow Portal 2.0 AdminDownload Rainbow 2.0!!Rainbow Code Rain...

the specified network provider name is invalid
client 4.91 on w2ksp4 logging on is OK, loginscript runs without errors, drive mappings are OK browsing Novell connections gives an empty screen browsing novell directory services or netware servers produces the error message. no objects are being displayed. anyone, any clue?? Peter, Sounds like a name resolution issue. Any additional components of the client installed? What protocols are bound to the client? Was Windows installed from scratch, a custom image, or an OEM image? Event Viewer logs showing anything unusual? Security or any other service/driver-based soft...

OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString
Hi, I am using the following code to collect with MSSQl2005. But it shows following error. Please Help me in this issue.. An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString.  An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString.  An example ...

Application Name for OLE DB Connection
PB9+MSSQL2005. When making a OLE DB connection, is it possible to pass the application name (e.g. executable file name) to the database via DBParm attribute(s)? MSSQL2005 session view has a column called program_name that is always empty for my PB9 apps. Thanks. Just tried UDL connection approach for MSSQL Native Client (OLE DB) and it sent an app name to the server. "mason" <masonliu@msn.com> wrote in message news:45071d24$2@forums-1-dub... > PB9+MSSQL2005. When making a OLE DB connection, is it possible to pass the > application name (e.g. executabl...

The membership provider name specified is invalid.
I have the following in my web.config   <connectionStrings> <add name="DB_WebSecurity" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" connectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=d:\WEBPAGES\App_Data\Security.mdb;Jet OLEDB:Database Password=XX;" /> </connectionStrings>   I use this to validate a user login. This works fine. The strange thing is that I get errors when using the same connection string to try to get all the users (using the membership provider function GetAllUsers(...). I receive the following error: The membership provider name...

The membership provider name specified is invalid. #2
Hi everyone,I've been developing a custom provider that uses remoting. I have two classes, RemotingMembershipProvider located on the web server and MyMembership which is located on another computer.RemotingMembershipProvider simply makes calls to MyMembership. MyMembership does all the work found in other providers (ie, creating users, reseting passwords, etc.)I constantly get this error:The membership provider name specified is invalid.Parameter name: providerNameThe code on the web site looks like this:Public Class RemotingMembershipProvider    Inherits MembershipProvider&nb...

How to set the Application name for OLE DB connection?
Hi All! I' trying to figure out how to set the application name when using OLE DB. I'm currently upgrading from PB 9 to PB 11. Below is my current approach. "PROVIDERSTRING='Database=MyDb',APP='MyApp 1.0'" Thanks for any tip! Hi Nutshell, note every section in Providerstring should be separated by ';' Providerstring='<section1>;<section2>;...<section n>' In your example only Database is within the providerstring. Both database and App must be within the providerstring. "Nutshell"...

The membership provider name specified is invalid. #3
I have made custom class for MembershipProvider. When I use its method Createuser(), it throws the following exception :- The membership provider name specified is invalid. Stange part is, my method (createuser()) works fine...it saves records in the DB...but in the end it throws the said exception. My Web Config. (partially) is as follows:<roleManager enabled="true" defaultProvider="CustomMembershipProvider"> <providers><clear/> <add connectionStringName="DbConnectionString" applicationName="/" name="CustomMembers...

Connect To ASA 9 using OLE DB with PowerBuilder 9
I'm trying to connect to a database running ASA 9 in a linux pc from powerbuilder 9. I can't seem to find the right parameters, when I test the connection the ODBC dialog pops up, and I want to make the connection without ODBC. Here's the connection params... please help me telling what I'm doing wrong. (the server is starting as fernando, and the database is fernando.db) // Profile fernando SQLCA.DBMS = "OLE DB" SQLCA.LogPass = <***> SQLCA.LogId = "dba" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = "PROVIDER='ASAProv.90',DATASOUR...

Connecting to sql server 2000 via ole db in Powerbuilder 7
I'm trying to do a direct connect to sql server 2000 using ole db. I've got one connectstring in my application (powerbuilder) that is accessing the database via odbc. I want to access a different database (for security purposes) using ole db. Is this possible? Here are my parameters: sqlca.dbms = ole db sqlca.database = picard sqlca.logid = picard sqlca.logpass = picard sqlca.servername = picardsqld1 Can someone please help with the syntax on connecting to this database. Thanks... It's possible, but oledb in PB7 doesn't work well at all. It's appa...

ODBC connection fails w/"invalid db name"
I have been trying without any luck to re-establish connection to EASDemo DB from the ODBC configuration. I have been getting all kinds of errors such as "DB page size is too large", to "invalid DB name". I have tried to delete and recreate the system data source, didn't work, I re-installed the EASDemo DB again, didn't seem to help. Any ideas as to how I can get re-established with this all important ODBC connection? Thanks, I appreciate the help Sarita The problem you describe is one that I wrote an FAQ on. Read it at: http://www.dyn-data.com/im...

ODBC connect fails w/"invalid DB name"
Hi, I have been trying without any luck to re-establish connection to EASDemo DB from the ODBC configuration. I have been getting all kinds of errors such as "DB page size is too large", to "invalid DB name". I have tried to delete and recreate the system data source, didn't work, I re-installed the EASDemo DB again, didn't seem to help. Any ideas as to how I can get re-established with this all important ODBC connection? Thanks, I appreciate the help Sarita This message was cross posted to the SQL Anywhere.General newsgroup and has already...

Web resources about - Invalid OLE DB provide name specified - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Quintonio LeGrier, Bettie Jones: Chicago Police Officer Kills Two In ‘Accidental’ Shooting
Antonio LeGrier, the father of Quintonio LeGrier , was said to have stated that the Chicago police officer who fired the shots that killed his ...

Live updates: Clean-up begins and flood warnings lifted after Greater Manchester hit by Boxing Day floods ...
Firefighters have been called out to dozens of incidents across the region

California Wildfire 60 Percent Contained, Evacuations Lifted
California wildfire 60 percent contained; evacuations lifted for dozens of homes

Pakistan army chief to visit Kabul on Sunday
Pakistan army chief general Raheel Sharif would visit Kabul on Sunday for deliberations on resumption of the Afghan reconciliation process and ...

Peyton Manning adds Ari Fleischer to HGH allegation P.R. effort
NBCSports.com Peyton Manning adds Ari Fleischer to HGH allegation P.R. effort NBCSports.com In most cases, NFL players simply deny an allegation ...

Kirk Cousins not going anywhere after division title
Washington Post Kirk Cousins not going anywhere after division title NFL.com The signature drive of Washington's division-clinching victory ...

Yorkshire Ripper's ex-wife gets a taxpayer funded Christmas visit to see the serial killer
Peter Sutcliffe's ex-wife Sonia, 65, claimed up to £200 expenses for a train ticket from Bradford to Broadmoor Hospital in Berkshire to visit ...

China adopts first counter-terrorism law
China adopted its first counter-terrorism law on Sunday after early drafts of the bill attracted strong criticism for provisions that may tighten ...

It’s Time to Rally Around Donald Trump
Brent Bozell has called on conservatives to rally around Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) for the Republican presidential nomination. Ted Cruz is a good ...

2015 Sun Bowl: Game Grades for Miami vs. Washington State
Bleacher Report 2015 Sun Bowl: Game Grades for Miami vs. Washington State Bleacher Report It was anything but easy, but that won't matter ...