Connection of PowerBuilder 10 to Microsoft SQL Server 2000

Hello,

I use PowerBuilder 10.2.1 (Build 9557), Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and OLE DB
connection.

I have a datawindow using Store Procedure to retrieve.
After retrieving the datawindow, I have a SQL statement fetching loop, and I
will call
another store procedure in the looping.
Once the datawindow with store procedure is retrieved, another store
procedure cannot be
executed in the SQL cursor fetching loop.
The sqlerrtext message is that "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
Cannot create new connection because in manual or distributed transaction
mode.".
However, without retrieving the datawindow before, the store procedure can
successfully
be executed in the SQL cursor fetching loop.

The coding sequence is as follows:

dwcontrol.Retrieve ( argument_1, argument_2 )   //<== Part 1: datawindow
using store procedure retrieval

sql_str = " SELECT column_1, column_2 from table_A"
DECLARE cursor_1 DYNAMIC CURSOR FOR SQLSA ;
PREPARE SQLSA FROM :sql_str ;
OPEN DYNAMIC cursor_1 ;
If sqlca.sqlcode <> 0 and sqlca.sqlcode <> 100 then
    CLOSE cursor_1;
    Return
End if

FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
DO WHILE sqlca.sqlcode = 0                            // <== Part 2: SQL
cursor fetching loop

    declare sp_b procedure for store_procedure_B
        @parameter_1 = :variable_1,
        @parameter_2 = :variable_2,
        @parameter_3 = :variable_3;    // output parameter
    execute sp_b;                                            // <== Part 3:
execute store procedure in the loop
    if sqlca.sqlcode <> 0 then
        close sp_b;
        return
    else
        fetch sp_b into :variable_3;
    end if
    close sp_b;

    FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
Loop
CLOSE cursor_1 ;

For the above case:
If all Part 1, 2 and 3 perform in the coding, error will occur, it cannot
execute the store procedure (Part 3).
If only Part 1 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no SQL cursor fetching
loop), it will success.
If only Part 2 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no datawindow
retrieval, and store procedure is still executed
in the SQL cursor fetching loop), it will also success.
Therefore, I cannot understand the sqlca connection is held by Part 1 or
Part 2 to cause the Part 3 failure.

What is the problem? and how to solve it ?

Thanks,
James

0
James

I had a similar issue recently when debugging a "SELECT statement in a
cursor fetch loop" codes in a SQL Server 2005 connection. It works perfectly
in Sybase and Oracle, but choke in MSSQL2005. I ended up getting rid of the
cursor loop to make it work for all three DBMSes. MSSQL has some
limitations.

"James" <james@abc.com> wrote in message news:4407d2b3@forums-2-dub...
> Hello,
>
> I use PowerBuilder 10.2.1 (Build 9557), Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and OLE
> DB connection.
>
> I have a datawindow using Store Procedure to retrieve.
> After retrieving the datawindow, I have a SQL statement fetching loop, and
> I will call
> another store procedure in the looping.
> Once the datawindow with store procedure is retrieved, another store
> procedure cannot be
> executed in the SQL cursor fetching loop.
> The sqlerrtext message is that "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
> Cannot create new connection because in manual or distributed transaction
> mode.".
> However, without retrieving the datawindow before, the store procedure can
> successfully
> be executed in the SQL cursor fetching loop.
>
> The coding sequence is as follows:
>
> dwcontrol.Retrieve ( argument_1, argument_2 )   //<== Part 1: datawindow
> using store procedure retrieval
>
> sql_str = " SELECT column_1, column_2 from table_A"
> DECLARE cursor_1 DYNAMIC CURSOR FOR SQLSA ;
> PREPARE SQLSA FROM :sql_str ;
> OPEN DYNAMIC cursor_1 ;
> If sqlca.sqlcode <> 0 and sqlca.sqlcode <> 100 then
>    CLOSE cursor_1;
>    Return
> End if
>
> FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
> DO WHILE sqlca.sqlcode = 0                            // <== Part 2: SQL
> cursor fetching loop
>
>    declare sp_b procedure for store_procedure_B
>        @parameter_1 = :variable_1,
>        @parameter_2 = :variable_2,
>        @parameter_3 = :variable_3;    // output parameter
>    execute sp_b;                                            // <== Part 3:
> execute store procedure in the loop
>    if sqlca.sqlcode <> 0 then
>        close sp_b;
>        return
>    else
>        fetch sp_b into :variable_3;
>    end if
>    close sp_b;
>
>    FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
> Loop
> CLOSE cursor_1 ;
>
> For the above case:
> If all Part 1, 2 and 3 perform in the coding, error will occur, it cannot
> execute the store procedure (Part 3).
> If only Part 1 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no SQL cursor
> fetching loop), it will success.
> If only Part 2 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no datawindow
> retrieval, and store procedure is still executed
> in the SQL cursor fetching loop), it will also success.
> Therefore, I cannot understand the sqlca connection is held by Part 1 or
> Part 2 to cause the Part 3 failure.
>
> What is the problem? and how to solve it ?
>
> Thanks,
> James

0
mason
3/4/2006 5:15:47 PM
 I have found that SQLSever2005 really sucks ... mainly from the OLE-DB and
ADO.Net support. Their new drivers are certainly lack luster compared to the
old native db interface. I think that's what makes ASE, Informix and Oracle
superior as they still support a native driver!

"mason" <masonliu@msn.com> wrote in message news:4409cb43$1@forums-1-dub...
> [...]
>>    else
>>        fetch sp_b into :variable_3;
>>    end if
>>    close sp_b;
>>
>>    FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
>> Loop
>> CLOSE cursor_1 ;
>>
>> For the above case:
>> If all Part 1, 2 and 3 perform in the coding, error will occur, it cannot
>> execute the store procedure (Part 3).
>> If only Part 1 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no SQL cursor
>> fetching loop), it will success.
>> If only Part 2 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no datawindow
>> retrieval, and store procedure is still executed
>> in the SQL cursor fetching loop), it will also success.
>> Therefore, I cannot understand the sqlca connection is held by Part 1 or
>> Part 2 to cause the Part 3 failure.
>>
>> What is the problem? and how to solve it ?

0
Chris
3/10/2006 5:09:41 AM
Chris,
    This is an interesting comment.  Can you provide an example? What
compatibality mode do you have set?

My testing shows that SQL2005, using ole_db is about 10-20% faster on just
about every thing, especially using large databases.  There are a few cases
where I found it was "tighter" in allowing questionable practices,
especially in the "hint" areas.

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> wrote in message

> [...]
>>>    else
>>>        fetch sp_b into :variable_3;
>>>    end if
>>>    close sp_b;
>>>
>>>    FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
>>> Loop
>>> CLOSE cursor_1 ;
>>>
>>> For the above case:
>>> If all Part 1, 2 and 3 perform in the coding, error will occur, it
>>> cannot execute the store procedure (Part 3).
>>> If only Part 1 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no SQL cursor
>>> fetching loop), it will success.
>>> If only Part 2 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no datawindow
>>> retrieval, and store procedure is still executed
>>> in the SQL cursor fetching loop), it will also success.
>>> Therefore, I cannot understand the sqlca connection is held by Part 1 or
>>> Part 2 to cause the Part 3 failure.
>>>
>>> What is the problem? and how to solve it ?

0
Tyler
3/10/2006 1:58:56 PM
I cant't agree more with "I have found that OLE-DB and ADO.Net support
really sucks.". We are using old native driver for SQL 6.5 and it is really
reliable. Yes, we are still using only varchar(255) but we are sleeping OK.

Do you know how to use SQL Native Client for connectivity on SQL 2005?

Have a nice day, Matjaz

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> je napisal v sporo�ilo
news:4410fa63@forums-2-dub ...

> [...]
>>>    else
>>>        fetch sp_b into :variable_3;
>>>    end if
>>>    close sp_b;
>>>
>>>    FETCH cursor_1 INTO :variable_1, :variable_2 ;
>>> Loop
>>> CLOSE cursor_1 ;
>>>
>>> For the above case:
>>> If all Part 1, 2 and 3 perform in the coding, error will occur, it
>>> cannot execute the store procedure (Part 3).
>>> If only Part 1 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no SQL cursor
>>> fetching loop), it will success.
>>> If only Part 2 and Part 3 perform in the coding (i.e. no datawindow
>>> retrieval, and store procedure is still executed
>>> in the SQL cursor fetching loop), it will also success.
>>> Therefore, I cannot understand the sqlca connection is held by Part 1 or
>>> Part 2 to cause the Part 3 failure.
>>>
>>> What is the problem? and how to solve it ?

0
Matjaz
3/15/2006 12:40:57 PM
you realize that PB 10 dropped support for the old mss native client due to
unicode support requirements?

"Matjaz Justin" <matjaz.justin@3tav.si> wrote in message
>I cant't agree more with "I have found that OLE-DB and ADO.Net support really
>sucks.". We are using old native driver for SQL 6.5 and it is really reliable.
>Yes, we are still using only varchar(255) but we are sleeping OK.
>
> Do you know how to use SQL Native Client for connectivity on SQL 2005?
>
> Have a nice day, Matjaz
>
> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> je napisal v sporo�ilo
> news:4410fa63@forums-2-dub ...
>>
>> I have found that SQLSever2005 really sucks ... mainly from the OLE-DB and
>> ADO.Net support. Their new drivers are certainly lack luster compared to the
>> old native db interface. I think that's what makes ASE, Informix and Oracle
>> superior as they still support a native driver!
>>

>> "mason" <masonliu@msn.com> wrote in message news:4409cb43$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>I had a similar issue recently when debugging a "SELECT statement in a cursor
>>>fetch loop" codes in a SQL Server 2005 connection. It works perfectly in
>>>Sybase and Oracle, but choke in MSSQL2005. I ended up getting rid of the
>>>cursor loop to make it work for all three DBMSes. MSSQL has some limitations.

Yes. I know. And luckily we do not need unicode support.

But I hope that PB 11.0 will bring back native driver.

Have a nice day, Matjaz

"M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> je napisal v sporo�ilo
news:441c26c0$1@forums-2-dub ...
> you realize that PB 10 dropped support for the old mss native client due
> to unicode support requirements?
>
> "Matjaz Justin" <matjaz.justin@3tav.si> wrote in message
>>I cant't agree more with "I have found that OLE-DB and ADO.Net support
>>really sucks.". We are using old native driver for SQL 6.5 and it is
>>really reliable. Yes, we are still using only varchar(255) but we are
>>sleeping OK.
>>
>> Do you know how to use SQL Native Client for connectivity on SQL 2005?
>>
>> Have a nice day, Matjaz
>>
>> "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com> je napisal v sporo�ilo
>> news:4410fa63@forums-2-dub ...
>>>
>>> I have found that SQLSever2005 really sucks ... mainly from the OLE-DB
>>> and ADO.Net support. Their new drivers are certainly lack luster
>>> compared to the old native db interface. I think that's what makes ASE,
>>> Informix and Oracle superior as they still support a native driver!
>>>

>>> "mason" <masonliu@msn.com> wrote in message

0
Matjaz
3/20/2006 12:31:47 PM
 NO .. Microsoft dropped the native driver support - NOT PowerBuilder!!!!!
PB just stopped shipping the native driver interface after MS screwed up
<lol>!

> [...]

0
Chris
3/21/2006 1:29:13 PM
Support is one thing, shipping it is another.....
Microsoft IS still shipping the old out of date driver at least with MS SQL
2000.  I don't recall if they stopped with SQL2005.

Powerbuilder doesn't work with the MSS driver at all starting with PB 10 since
MS never updated that driver and the driver doesn't support unicode.
PB 10 requires unicode support.

>>But I hope that PB 11.0 will bring back native driver
Technically, PB 10 and newer DO support the Microsoft SQL Server native driver.
MS calls OLEDB the 'native' driver for SQL Server.

"Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.dot.com> wrote in message

> NO .. Microsoft dropped the native driver support - NOT PowerBuilder!!!!!
> PB just stopped shipping the native driver interface after MS screwed up
> <lol>!
>

> "Matjaz Justin" <matjaz.justin@3tav.si> wrote in message
>> Yes. I know. And luckily we do not need unicode support.
>>
>> But I hope that PB 11.0 will bring back native driver.
>>
>> Have a nice day, Matjaz
>>
>> "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com> je napisal v sporo�ilo
>> news:441c26c0$1@forums-2-dub ...
>> > you realize that PB 10 dropped support for the old mss native client due
>> > to unicode support requirements?
>> >
>> > "Matjaz Justin" <matjaz.justin@3tav.si> wrote in message

> ASE,

> and

> loop,
> procedure

> 1

>>>But I hope that PB 11.0 will bring back native driver
> Technically, PB 10 and newer DO support the Microsoft SQL Server native
> driver. MS calls OLEDB the 'native' driver for SQL Server.

Are you talking about SQL Native Client according this article
http://blogs.msdn.com/dataaccess/archive/2005/04/26/412161.aspx?

And, if the answer is yes, how did you establish connection?

lp, Matja�

0
Matjaz

How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4?
Hi: How to set database profile to PowerBuilder 10.5 connect to MS-SQL Server 2000 sp4? It seems that the special connection inferface for "MSS Microsoft SQL Server" is canceled in PowerBuilder 10.5. I do not want to via ODBC. Thanks! Wu; No, MSS driver (actually Microsoft's NTDBLIB.dll) was cancelled by Bill Gates in SQLServer v7. It was supported in 2000 - but ANSI only with limited functionality and dropped for SS2000 and 2005 in the Unicode world. So your choices are: ODBC, OLE-DB and ADO.net. There is new SNC driver for PB 11 that is simil...

Connectivity of Sql Server With Powerbuilder 10
As I gone through the Powerbuilder10 manual,it has been mentioned that Powerbuilder10 has not provided Interface with Microsoft SQL Server, althrough We have connected our application with the help of ODBC,but the problem is that it again & again asking for the database connectivity and it won't be possible to the user to enter the information again & again as far as the large Application is concerned. So is there any other way to connect the application with MS sql Server. Thanks Ajit Prasad ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_...

powerbuilder connection to sql server 2000
Hi everyone, when I try to connect to our sql server 2000 db i get this error message. SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range. How do I fix this. Mark ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp I'll have to guess, since you didn't provide the info, but you must be using a rather old version of PB (i.e., 6.5 or earlier). MS updated ODBC to support additional datatypes and PB was updated to support them subsequently. On 30 Dec 2004 17:26:32 -0800, "mark" &l...

Considerations converting powerbuilder connection from the native sql server connection to OLE DB
We have an application which was upgraded from PB8.0.3 to PB9 (original build) . The application formerly used sql servers native connection. The application is now coded to use OLEDB. We are running into minor issues that were not present with the native connection. Example: you have a stored procedure called "sp_test" that has one argument, @dummy. We would normally execute the procedure like this: EXEC sp_test 'test_value' ^ But when using OLE-DB, you have to include the parameter name, like this: EXEC sp_test @dummy='test_value' ^ Now we ...

Unable to connect to SQL server 2000 from Powerbuilder 9
Hi, I have Power Builder 9 installed in Windows 2003 server Enterprise Edition . I also have SQL server 2000 client compenents installed in the same server. I use an INI file to connect my application to the database. The DBMS in the INI file is MSS Microsoft SQL server Iam able to create a DSN, connect via ISQLW but when i try to login to the application there is no connectivity established. I get the error Database Error: Transaction not connected SQLCODE:0 SQLDBCODE:-1 Can someone tell me why such a error ? ...

Connecting to an SQL Server 2000 Database from Powerbuilder 6.5
I have a WINDOWS 2000 SERVER on which the SQL SERVER 2000 (Standard=20 Edition) is running.. From a WINDOWS NT Workstation Client (on the same Network) I' trying from within Powerbuilder to connect to my SQL SERVER 2000 database via ODBC. I created and configured the ODBC driver for this=20 connection as well as the associated Powerbuilder DB-Profile. When then I try to connect (from the Database Profiles popup window) to my database, the sonnection is successfull but when the popup window of Powerbuilder appears (in the Database Painter Window) for selecting the tables of the d...

Connecting to sql server 2000 on Godaddy error: (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40
Facts:1. I am using my account on Godaddy trying to connect to my sql server db.2. I can get into my db using user id and password.3. Godaddy's help file shows this for a connection string: connectstr = "Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" & db_server & ";DATABASE=" &db_name & ";UID=" & db_username & ";PWD=" & db_userpassword4. My connection string: "Server=whsql-v09.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net;uid=dbasolutions;pwd=***;database=DB_87972;"  & _                    "Trusted_Connecti...

Powerbuilder 9
Hi, I am trying to get connected to Microsoft SQL server 2000 using SSL, through the native driver (MSS (Msoft) SQL Server 6.0). Unfortunately, the code I am supporting is such that I can't change to ODBC or OLEDB easily. Is there a way to set the native driver to communicate using SSL? I tried DBPARM=Encrypt=1 and many other similar combinations, but no luck so far. Thanks, Brian ...

Connecting to MS Sql server 2000 thru PowerBuilder 5.0
We're connecting to MS Sql server 6.5 from PowerBuilder 5.0 using a Native driver. We want to upgrade to MS Sql server 2000. Does the native driver in PB 5.0 for MS Sql Server 6.5 support MS Sql server 2000 also ?? If not , whether Sybase provide a native driver to connect MS Sql server 2000 from PB 5.0 ?? Thanks & Regards, Ravi. No, neither SQL7 nor SQL2000 is supported from PB5. Some people have got SQL7 to work (don't know about 2000), but mostly it won't, certainly for us it wouldn't. The best thing to do is try it and see whether you get problems w...

Connecting to sql server 2000 via ole db in Powerbuilder 7
I'm trying to do a direct connect to sql server 2000 using ole db. I've got one connectstring in my application (powerbuilder) that is accessing the database via odbc. I want to access a different database (for security purposes) using ole db. Is this possible? Here are my parameters: sqlca.dbms = ole db sqlca.database = picard sqlca.logid = picard sqlca.logpass = picard sqlca.servername = picardsqld1 Can someone please help with the syntax on connecting to this database. Thanks... It's possible, but oledb in PB7 doesn't work well at all. It's appa...

Powerbuilder 6.5.1 connecting to SQL Server 2000 using ODBC Dsn
Can anyone help in connecting by Powerbuilder 6.5.1 application talking to sql 2000 database. Our applications has a ini file which includes the following details [Database] DBMS=MSS Microsoft SQL Server 6.x ServerName=TestServer AutoCommit=true Database=pubs Lock=RL In case of ODBC dsn, what should go in ini other than these. Please suggest [Database] DBMS=ODBC AutoCommit=true Database=pubs Lock=RL In powerbuilder the profile is created using odbc dsn as the datasource The connection is successful in Powerbuilder IDE. But when I launch the application, I ge...

How do you setup a database connection profile for Microsoft SQL Server 2000 in PB 10.5?
Sorry for my ignorance. tia, chance. ok just answered my own question http://chance.pbdjmagazine.com/how_to_connect_to_microsoft_sql_server_2000.htm "chance" <chance@crwmail.com> wrote in message news:44314cc9@forums-2-dub... > Sorry for my ignorance. > tia, > chance. > This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C65723.A16C77B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Question though, what is the proper value for Provider MSDASQL seems t...

Web resources about - Connection of PowerBuilder 10 to Microsoft SQL Server 2000 - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles