connecting to sqlanywhere 5.0 server from client pb application.

Hello,

I am using SQL Anywhere 5.0.01 build #451, with power builder 5.0.02.
I have setup the server on an Windows NT Server 4.0 and am connecting using
sql anywhere client on Windows 95.

My problem is that trying to connect to the server from the client succeeds
when i use sql central but fails when i connect using my pb application. I
am using ODBC to connect from PB application. I have specified the
servername correctly which is what i think the client requires to find the
server ( it does not seem to require the hostname of the server).

Further i find two EXEs for running the database, dbsrv50.exe and
dbserver.exe when i install sql anywhere server. which one should i use to
run the server. Both seem to start and run the server identically.

Am i missing some settings/parameters?

Thanks in advance,
Prasad

0
Prasad

From windows Start, run: locate dbclient.exe and run with server name as
parameter (you can add -x tcpip to connect faster just behind dbclient).
From pb, you can check error messages, they say everything: usually it is
cant find dbclient so put full path to it from pb. You can paste this from
run if working.

Bye Damir

0
Damir
5/7/2001 11:44:02 AM
Thanks. It worked.
But still, i had to use the Run () function to call the dbclient explicitly
passing the server name as the parameter in order get it running first,
before i attempted to connect using SQLCA. The very attempt to connect using
sqlca should automatically start dbclient, since the DSN points to the SA
driver and the startup option is pointing to the dbclient.exe.
This however did not happen.

Cheers
Prasad

"Damir Grbic" <dgrbic@eisen.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> From windows Start, run: locate dbclient.exe and run with server name as
> parameter (you can add -x tcpip to connect faster just behind dbclient).
> From pb, you can check error messages, they say everything: usually it is
> cant find dbclient so put full path to it from pb. You can paste this from
> run if working.
>
> Bye Damir

0
Prasad
Error message would be nicer to solve your problem.

Here are some of possible .
-83 Specified database not found
-82 Unable to start specified database
-81 Invalid database engine command line = switch is wrong?
-80 Unable to start database engine = start command is not ok (path)?

In SQL Anywhere ODBC Configuration, in Server Name type the name of your
server, database name. In database startup database file leave blank, select
Network and hit Options. In start command type:
C:\PROGRA~1\SYBASE\SQLANY~1.0\WIN32\dbclient.exe -x tcpip. (if this is path
to dbclient).

Bye Damir.

0
Damir

Connection to MS SQL Server 7.0 with PB application built in 5.5.04
FYI.... I am in the process of upgrade an application database from MS SQL server 6.0 to 7.0 and I would like to know if there is a driver download that I can get so that I don't have to also upgrade the application as well. Is a database driver download available? It there is, where do I get it from? Thanks for the help. (My gut feeling is that the application will also have to be upgrade for the new native driver... Please say I am wrong) .......Shane Hi Shane, MS 7 does not have a native driver...

Error connecting Pb 6.5 and Pb 7.0 to SQL SERVER 7.0 desktop(Window 98)
Today(9 Sep 1999), I can't connect to SQL Server 7.0 before this i can connect it. It give an Error "Unable to connect : SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist, Specified SQl Server not found ". I have check with Query analyzer , the Query analyzer can connect very well. Any one this have this problem, and how to solve this ??? TIA -- Regards Daniel Fransius not enough information... are you trying to use OLE DB ? ODBC ? Native driver ? What about security settings on the server ? What user id and password are you passing ? There is a lot of things ...

Trouble sharing a dbclient ODBC connection between two processes on web server SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.5
Hello, I am trying to tie a whole bunch of legacy components together with a new reporting engine and I've come across an interesting problem. I have a W2k Web server that is connecting to an NT4.0 SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.5 database server via an ODBC dbclient connection. The web server is running classic ASP pages for the bulk of the web site, with a single ASP.net section for viewing reports. Everything works great and I can connect to the database as long as I have only one of the connections active - either the ASP or ASP.net site. As soon as I try to connect both at ...

error 8001 Unable to connect SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 Server in PB7.0
Please help me with the following problem: SYMPTOM: Error message SqlState 08001 "Unable to connect to database server; unable to start database engine" GOALS: Connect to 16-bit server database from Powerbuilder 7.0 development environment. Connect to 16-bit text driver from Powerbuilder 7.0 development environment. Connect to same datasources in production enviroment. ENVIRONMENT: 1. Working on Windows NT. 2. Powerbuilder 5.0 and 7.0 installed on PC. 3. Using ODBC interface to database. SITUATION: 1. Tried to connect to SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 server (16-bit). 2...

Connectivity Problem with PB 6.5 or PB 7.0 and Informix Dynamic Server 2000 9.21
I have problems from Power Builder 6.5 and Power Builder 7.0 when I connect from development environment. I wish connect to Informix Dynamic Server 2000 9.21 on Windows NT. I have this problem with Native Driver "IN7 I-Net v7.x" and "IN7 I-Net v9.x" The database painter show me the owner of table wrong! This problem was correct in any other release? Thanks Alejandro Del� pd: I can do it with Informix-Cli or early Version! but not with INFORMIX-CLI of IDS.200 !!! Do you have the correct version of the DB drivers? Just thought I'd ask in ...

SQL Server Connectivity with PB 5.0
I am trying to connect an application written in PB 5.0 with SQL Server. I assume that around 1995 the MS SQL Server driver was not present and Sybase drivers were being used. Since I am now have to connect this application to SQL Server 7.0 what driver should I be using.... Thanks for your help! You can still use the old native driver with SQLServer 7. It's 16bit, but it can use the 32bit 7.0 handshake OK. The problems start when you get to SQLServer 2000 and want to use new DBMS features. Then the native driver is your nemesis as it does not support the new features. To top ...

Client Connections and PowerBuilder connections
What do I need to do to my NT box to be able to run a browser from a client machine to run the demo database/tutorial? I am able to run the demo from the NT server itself, but would like to test client connectivity. My client has browser capability. Furthermore, I am anticipating on using Jaguar as a middle tier for accepting communications from PowerBuilder. Jaguar would then take the SQL and pass the information onto a SYBASE SQL Server. I am not even concerned with any of the business logic that may be involved but am more interested in getting Jaguar to be a middle tier while...

Connection Problem with SQLAnywhere unix client connection to server on another host
We are currently having a problem getting SQLAnywhere v7 on HP-UX to connect with a Sybase database on another machine (WinNT). I have been unable to find any previous threads with information that has solved our problem. We are currently on an evaluation version of SQLAnywhere for HP-UX and we will expire soon without one connection ever being made. We use SQLAnywhere v5 on Windows to connect to the database using the following command: dbclient -Z -x TCPIP{DOBROADCAST=NO; HOST=SOMEHOST} linksr with an ODBC data source with the following settings: Data source name: links...

Oracle 8.0.5 and PB 5.0.04 connection
Hi All! My company wants to migrate to Oracle 8.0.5 but we will have PB 5.0.04 apps running on Win95 and NT clients. PB 5.0.04 contains only beta version of PBOR8050.dll which I would not like to use (we are talking thousands of users worlwide). Technote 47630 does not offer anything for Oracle 8.0.5. So, is there PB native driver (non beta) for PB 5.0.04 to talk to Oracle 8.0.5 ? Thank you No. But you can use the O73 driver, aslong as you don't need any specific Oracle8 functionality -- Terry Dykstra (TeamPS) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Gary Vashkulat wrote in me...

GW 5.5.5 client connecting to GW7 server?
running netware 6.5 and gw 5.5. We are planning on doing an upgrade to gw7.0 in a month or so and have a few questions... 1. Can gw5.5 on the server be upgraded to gw7.0 and still have the 5.5.5 clients connect to it? 2. if so, are there any issues that are currently known that will seriously hamper the user experience (until the gw7 client is rolled out) Thanks! -Peter 1. yes 2. intermittent d909 errors, about 1-3 times a day. Not harmful but annoying -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) ...

6.5 Client connecting to 6.0 Server
Can I use the groupwise 6.5 client to connect to a 6.0 server? Nope, older clients to newer agents, never the reverse Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ ...

1.5.0.2
I have severe problems with 1.5.0.2. After installation the mail servers (two different servers using different protocols) refuse to connect the client. I was forced to re-install 1.5. Does anyone experienced the same problem? Is it possible to correct this? Ivica ivica Crnkovic <ivica.crnkovic@mdh.se> wrote in news:A_6dna3UUI3_M9DZnZ2dnUVZ_tGdnZ2d@mozilla.org: > I have severe problems with 1.5.0.2. After installation the > mail servers (two different servers using different protocols) > refuse to connect the client. I was forced to re-install 1.5. > Does an...

Web resources about - connecting to sqlanywhere 5.0 server from client pb application. - sybase.powerbuilder.connection

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere