Power++ Future

I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just heard (from a source close to
Sybase) that Sybase has stopped support for Power++, as it is "not a viable
product."

Can anyone confirm or deny this with any authority?

Mark
0
Mark
9/1/1998 8:36:41 AM
sybase.power++.general 2129 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Thanks Eric,

I was hoping to hear this.

Mark
0
Mark
9/1/1998 12:05:43 PM
Mark Atkins wrote in message <01bdd58d$f61de020$b700000a@bacchus>...
>I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just heard (from a source close to
>Sybase) that Sybase has stopped support for Power++, as it is "not a viable
>product."

We're not stopping support, in fact we're working on a maintenance release
right now.  There is no major development planned for the short term, but
we will continue to fix bugs and support our customers.

Eric

0
Eric
9/1/1998 1:29:04 PM
Eric,

Does your saying this mean it's now official, ie. Sybase says...?

Eric Giguere wrote in message ...
>Mark Atkins wrote in message <01bdd58d$f61de020$b700000a@bacchus>...
>>I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just heard (from a source close to
>>Sybase) that Sybase has stopped support for Power++, as it is "not a
viable
>>product."
>

>We're not stopping support, in fact we're working on a maintenance release
>right now.  There is no major development planned for the short term, but
>we will continue to fix bugs and support our customers.
>
>Eric

0
Pat
9/1/1998 1:58:05 PM
Pat Patterson wrote in message <8jdwqca19GA.227@forums.powersoft.com>...
>Does your saying this mean it's now official, ie. Sybase says...?

I'm not an official spokesperson for the company, all I'm saying
is what I know we're doing:  fixing some Power++ bugs to release
another maintenance release.

Eric

0
Eric
9/1/1998 4:33:46 PM
Why Power++ isn't a viable product?
They liked MS VC++?
I'm on Power++ side, I didn't like VC++, Delphi, VB, etc..... :(

Mark Atkins escreveu na mensagem <01bdd58d$f61de020$b700000a@bacchus>...
>I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just heard (from a source close to
>Sybase) that Sybase has stopped support for Power++, as it is "not a viable
>product."
>
>Can anyone confirm or deny this with any authority?
>
>Mark

0
Paulo
9/1/1998 8:28:02 PM
Does that also imply that there will not be another major release? Somebody
from Sybase told me exactly that at a conference yesterday.
Not that I badly need any new functionality right now, but I definitely want
to be able to support my software in a few years and port it to the next
version of windows. If the rumours should be true, I would definitely make
the switch to a Borland product right away (and never again take a chance
with a Sybase compiler).
Eric Giguere schrieb in Nachricht ...
>Pat Patterson wrote in message <8jdwqca19GA.227@forums.powersoft.com>...
>>Does your saying this mean it's now official, ie. Sybase says...?
>

>I'm not an official spokesperson for the company, all I'm saying
>is what I know we're doing:  fixing some Power++ bugs to release
>another maintenance release.
>
>Eric

0
Georg
9/25/1998 7:53:28 PM

Georg Linde schrieb:

> Does that also imply that there will not be another major release? Somebody
> from Sybase told me exactly that at a conference yesterday.
> Not that I badly need any new functionality right now, but I definitely want
> to be able to support my software in a few years and port it to the next
> version of windows. If the rumours should be true, I would definitely make
> the switch to a Borland product right away (and never again take a chance
> with a Sybase compiler).

[snip]

I think P++ will die allthough there is no official statement from Syb. I'm in
the same boat and thinking about Borland, too. But:

- Are you sure about Borland/Inprise?
- How will you interact with databases? Boring Database Engine?
- Which tool could replace DataWindows in terms of reporting?
- Which (proprietary) framework will you be using (OWL allready dead, VCL pascal
stuff, MFC )?

regards,
Michael

0