Future of Powerbuilder

Hi,

Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
The Future of Powerbuilder?
Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!

Bala
10/7/1999 1:16:26 PM
sybase.power++.general 2129 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Bala wrote in message <#AImoYME$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>...
>Hi,
>
>Has anyone seen the article in computerworld issue of sep 27th 1999 -
>The Future of Powerbuilder?
>Looks like it is time to jump out of the ship!

Except you should not believe everything you read. I remember the mutterings
after PB 6.5 and currently Sybase is shipping  EAS which PB 7.0 forms part
of. Again I was at Sybase TechWave 99, and saw the demos of PB's web
technology at the main presentation.

On a seperate note, I remember when Microsoft started shipping ATL (Active
Template Library) and rumours that MFC was dead started flying around 2
years ago. Well is it? Does not seem to be. In fact it has been enhanced
over the past 2 years.

Your best way to get some idea of where Sybase is going is to do a
comparative review between PB6.5 and PB7.0. Find out what is new and hot.
Find out what is old and has been dropped. Find out what has been enhanced.

This gives an idea of future.

Hope this helps

Stephen Howe [TeamSybase] (In search of excellence)

0
Stephen
10/7/1999 6:52:14 PM
I think Powerbuilder has a definite future.  Hopefully when the Sybase
marketing program gets out of stealth mode, there might be more positive
press for all of the Sybase product lines.

John Langston
john.langston@tvguide.com

0
John

The Future of PowerBuilder
Hello! Earlier this year, I came across an article in one of the weekly industry newspapers that stated that Sybase was telling major customers that PowerBuilder will be discontinued after version 8.0. (I can't remember which newspaper had the story and I can't seem locate it by doing a Google search. But I'm not making this up - I really did see it.) At the PowerBuilder Information Site ( www.justpbinfo.com ) I came across the following article: ------------------------------------------------ The Future of PowerBuilder Is there life after PowerBuilder 8? Rum...

PowerBuilder future
I wonder what is the future of PB. I have just saw an article which Jhon Chen (Sybase CEO) says the following: According to Chen the company had become over-diversified, and lost sight of its core competencies. "A lot of our businesses were very inefficient," he explains. "I was asking, 'why are you doing this?' You know we had an SAP consulting business - what for? We had a product that competed with Microsoft Visual Basic - what for? I had to get rid of some bits and pieces." In my understanding, the only Sybase product that have competed with VB is...

The future of Powerbuilder
I am looking for opinions and viewpoints. I think Powerbuilder has 2 distinct and quite different markets. The small to medium sized software market and corporate IT market. In the software market where results are easy to measure on the bottom line I think PB is doing just fine. The productivity, efficiency and swift development process suites that market just fine. Just keep your customers happy. I am amazed at what I have seen in PB based software packages considering the total lack of documentation. That speaks volume on the capabilities of PB if you just get into it. O...

The future of PowerBuilder...
That subject line should get your attention. <g> I'm very pleased with the participation in this group. We've obviously provided a well for a very thirsty group of developers! As you may or may not know, PB 9 is about to go into Beta and the feature set has pretty much been frozen. I know a lot of these requests are for very useful features and hopefully many will some day be incorporated into PB. I don't know what can be done for PB 9 at this point. Just don't want to falsely get people's hopes up. What I would like to do, is raise the discussion to a h...

Power++ Future
I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just heard (from a source close to Sybase) that Sybase has stopped support for Power++, as it is "not a viable product." Can anyone confirm or deny this with any authority? Mark Thanks Eric, I was hoping to hear this. Mark Mark Atkins wrote in message <01bdd58d$f61de020$b700000a@bacchus>... >I don't wish to be alarmist, but I have just heard (from a source close to >Sybase) that Sybase has stopped support for Power++, as it is "not a viable >product." We're not stopping support, in ...

Future power
I just read the article" Future Power..Windows XP shows the direction Microsoft is going."which Steve refered to in his post of 11/15/2002, entitled "Feeling increasingly uneasy about Microsoft? in GRC. news. I have just gotten back on line recently, which is why I have not read the post & article untill now, due to my computer hard drive & mother board having to be replaced. Since I am in the process of reinstalling everything, it occured to me that this might be a good time to get rid of Windows XP & install something else, more secure. I noticed that Ste...

power in Power
What does the ^ operator? I thought that it was the powering operator, but when I got 3^2=1 instead of 9... OK, I know there is pow function somewhere, but anyway... Saso On Sat, 5 Sep 1998 15:56:35 +0200, "Saso Zivanovic" <zivanovic@fmf.uni-lj.si> wrote: >What does the ^ operator? I thought that it was the powering operator, but >when I got 3^2=1 instead of 9... OK, I know there is pow function somewhere, >but anyway... > >Saso > > Hi, Saso The '^' operator is bitwise exclusive or. Although you can do some things with Po...

What generals generally do

POWERBUILDER FUTURE?
i am in Powerbuilder for past 4 Years.....currently i am in india. But my projects are in my last 4 years almost maintenance & migration to advanced techniques...almost zero development and the sad news is ,powerbuilder developers are very less when compared to advance techniques... u know the PB versions are also coming yearly once & introducing new concepts also almost not useful(i discussed with lot of PB developers almost they are not using the advance techniques) so everybody is going slowly out of PB technology... In india last few years Pb usage is re...

Future of IT and place for PowerBuilder???
Hi all: As you know, we've gone through many changes in IT: 1. Mainframe Computing 2. Client Server 3. Distributed (3-Tier) 4. Distributed (N-Tier/Web) Given the fact that there's a possibility of great improvements in network speeds and improved deployment methods, which of the following in your opinion would become popular? 1. Thin-client, multi-tier, non-browser based technology become popular (and hence boost PB market???) 2. Thin-client, multi-tier, browser-based web-technology (featuring rich-client look) (and consequently PowerBuilder would evolve into a web...

Future of PowerBuilder #2
Hi, Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article about the future or the prospect of PowerBuilder?? Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks AK; There are MANY threads in sybase.public.powerbuilder.futures.discussions NG. Here is a link to a very knowledgeable website: (http://www.techno-kitten.com/Changes_to_PowerBuilder/powerbuilder_s_future2 /powerbuilder_s_future2.html) HTH, Austin <AK> wrote in message news:3f3bf83f.5e1.846930886@sybase.com... > Hi, > Can anybody point me to a good documentation or an article > about the future or t...

The Future of Powerbuilder #2
I work for a fortune 500 company who is looking at developing a client server software package. It is of course geared to be web enabled as well as normal client server. As a Powerbuilder and Visual Basic programmer for more than 8 years I believe that going with Powerbuilder on this project is a good decision, my colleagues and managers does not. It has been rumored for some time now that Powerbuilder is dying a slow but eminent death and I'm rather saddened by this since I personally feel Powerbuilder is a great tool to work with. I couldn't find any substantial informa...

Web resources about - Future of Powerbuilder - sybase.power++.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles