Problem with PPB 1.5 and 2 transactions to 2 db files

HI,

I am attempting to open two different transaction objects to two different
ASA db files.  When trying to access the 2nd transaction object I get a
screen appearing that wants me to specify the ODBC connection information.
The window has a title starting with "Connect to Adaptive S..." and has 3
tabs titled "Login", "Database" and "Network".

I have tried both RTENG9.exe and DBSRV9.exe with the same results.

Now if I close the 1st transaction object prior to accessing the 2nd,
everything is fine.  This is not how I want to handle this.  I thought
multiple connections to multiple databases would not be an issue with ASA.

I don't get this behavior running the application on the desktop, just the
handheld.  Everything inthe window is specified properly, but clicking the
"Ok" does not complete the operation after the attempt to connect with the
2nd transaction object.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks,

Bob

0
Robert
3/2/2004 2:04:59 PM
sybase.pocketpowerbuilder 3097 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Are you attempting to run both databases on the pocketpc?

I believe this may be a limitation of the engine or OS.  I was not able to
start 2 instances of a database on the pocketpc, but i am able to connect to
a local db on the pocketpc and a remote database on the desktop.

Karen

"Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in
message news:404494b0$1@forums-2-dub...
> HI,
>
> I am attempting to open two different transaction objects to two different
> ASA db files.  When trying to access the 2nd transaction object I get a
> screen appearing that wants me to specify the ODBC connection information.
> The window has a title starting with "Connect to Adaptive S..." and has 3
> tabs titled "Login", "Database" and "Network".
>
> I have tried both RTENG9.exe and DBSRV9.exe with the same results.
>
> Now if I close the 1st transaction object prior to accessing the 2nd,
> everything is fine.  This is not how I want to handle this.  I thought
> multiple connections to multiple databases would not be an issue with ASA.
>
> I don't get this behavior running the application on the desktop, just the
> handheld.  Everything inthe window is specified properly, but clicking the
> "Ok" does not complete the operation after the attempt to connect with the
> 2nd transaction object.
>
> Any ideas on this one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

0
Karen
3/2/2004 2:15:05 PM
Without knowing the specific settings for the DSNs, it would be impossible
to answer this question. My guess is that you are not specifying the
appropriate server name(s) in the DSNs.

BTW This is not an ultralite question. DBSRV9 and RTENG9 are full engines.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*
Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

*

iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

*

"Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in
message news:404494b0$1@forums-2-dub...
> HI,
>
> I am attempting to open two different transaction objects to two different
> ASA db files.  When trying to access the 2nd transaction object I get a
> screen appearing that wants me to specify the ODBC connection information.
> The window has a title starting with "Connect to Adaptive S..." and has 3
> tabs titled "Login", "Database" and "Network".
>
> I have tried both RTENG9.exe and DBSRV9.exe with the same results.
>
> Now if I close the 1st transaction object prior to accessing the 2nd,
> everything is fine.  This is not how I want to handle this.  I thought
> multiple connections to multiple databases would not be an issue with ASA.
>
> I don't get this behavior running the application on the desktop, just the
> handheld.  Everything inthe window is specified properly, but clicking the
> "Ok" does not complete the operation after the attempt to connect with the
> 2nd transaction object.
>
> Any ideas on this one?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

0
Chris
3/2/2004 2:15:52 PM
We were able to work around this limitation with a bit of a kludge. Our
application starts the database server with two databases, waits a bit, then
connects via the normal way. This way, we get one database server instance
serving up two databases.

"Karen Bailey" <baileyk7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Are you attempting to run both databases on the pocketpc?
>
> I believe this may be a limitation of the engine or OS.  I was not able to
> start 2 instances of a database on the pocketpc, but i am able to connect
> a local db on the pocketpc and a remote database on the desktop.
>
> Karen
>
> "Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in
> message news:404494b0$1@forums-2-dub...
> > HI,
> >
> > I am attempting to open two different transaction objects to two
different
> > ASA db files.  When trying to access the 2nd transaction object I get a
> > screen appearing that wants me to specify the ODBC connection
information.
> > The window has a title starting with "Connect to Adaptive S..." and has
3
> > tabs titled "Login", "Database" and "Network".
> >
> > I have tried both RTENG9.exe and DBSRV9.exe with the same results.
> >
> > Now if I close the 1st transaction object prior to accessing the 2nd,
> > everything is fine.  This is not how I want to handle this.  I thought
> > multiple connections to multiple databases would not be an issue with
ASA.

> > I don't get this behavior running the application on the desktop, just
the
> > handheld.  Everything inthe window is specified properly, but clicking
the
> > "Ok" does not complete the operation after the attempt to connect with
the
> > 2nd transaction object.
> >
> > Any ideas on this one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob

0
Mark
3/3/2004 2:06:04 PM
This kludge should not be necessary.  Assuming you have two databases called
db1.db and db2.db at the root of your CE device, you should just have to
define two ODBC data sources with the following connection parameters :

DSN for db1.db
==============
eng=MyServer
dbn=db1
dbf=\db1.db
uid=dba
pwd=sql

DSN for db2.db
==============
eng=MyServer
dbn=db2
dbf=\db2.db
uid=dba
pwd=sql

The key thing to point out here is that both ODBC data sources will connect
to a database engine named "MyServer".  If the engine isn't running and
choose either database to connect to, the engine will autostart and mount
the first database.  If the server is already running because you've
connected to the other database, the second database will be mounted on the
same running server.  No pause should be needed in your application.  The
only other gotcha is that if you want to specify a START parameter for your
engine and add a few options, make sure the START parameter is identical in
both DSNs.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

"Mark Hampton" <mhampton.removeme@datavantagecorp.com> wrote in message
> We were able to work around this limitation with a bit of a kludge. Our
> application starts the database server with two databases, waits a bit,
then
> connects via the normal way. This way, we get one database server instance
> serving up two databases.
>
> "Karen Bailey" <baileyk7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > Are you attempting to run both databases on the pocketpc?
> >
> > I believe this may be a limitation of the engine or OS.  I was not able
> > start 2 instances of a database on the pocketpc, but i am able to
connect
> > a local db on the pocketpc and a remote database on the desktop.
> >
> > Karen
> >
> > "Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in
> > message news:404494b0$1@forums-2-dub...
> > > HI,
> > >
> > > I am attempting to open two different transaction objects to two
> different
> > > ASA db files.  When trying to access the 2nd transaction object I get
> > > screen appearing that wants me to specify the ODBC connection
> information.
> > > The window has a title starting with "Connect to Adaptive S..." and
has
> 3
> > > tabs titled "Login", "Database" and "Network".
> > >
> > > I have tried both RTENG9.exe and DBSRV9.exe with the same results.
> > >
> > > Now if I close the 1st transaction object prior to accessing the 2nd,
> > > everything is fine.  This is not how I want to handle this.  I thought
> > > multiple connections to multiple databases would not be an issue with
> ASA.
> > >
> > > I don't get this behavior running the application on the desktop, just
> the
> > > handheld.  Everything inthe window is specified properly, but clicking
> the
> > > "Ok" does not complete the operation after the attempt to connect with
> the
> > > 2nd transaction object.
> > >
> > > Any ideas on this one?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Bob

0
Reg
3/3/2004 2:43:47 PM
The two DSN files I'm using are located in the \Windows folder, here they
are:

[ODBC]
uid=dba
pwd=sql
enginename=rounds
databasename=rounds_test
databasefile=\Program Files\Rounds_Test\rounds_test.db
start=\Windows\rteng9.exe -q

[ODBC]
uid=dba
pwd=sql
enginename=rounds
databasename=userlog
databasefile=\Program Files\Rounds_Test\userlog.db
start=\Windows\rteng9.exe -q

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <FightSpam_keating@iAnywhere.com>
wrote in message news:40449718$1@forums-1-dub...
> Without knowing the specific settings for the DSNs, it would be impossible
> to answer this question. My guess is that you are not specifying the
> appropriate server name(s) in the DSNs.
>

> BTW This is not an ultralite question. DBSRV9 and RTENG9 are full engines.
>

> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

> *
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition
> and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to
> medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/promos/deved/index.html

> *
>
> iAnywhere Solutions  http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use CaseXpress to report bugs http://casexpress.sybase.com

> *
>
> "Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in
> message news:404494b0$1@forums-2-dub...
> > HI,
> >
> > I am attempting to open two different transaction objects to two
different
> > ASA db files.  When trying to access the 2nd transaction object I get a
> > screen appearing that wants me to specify the ODBC connection
information.
> > The window has a title starting with "Connect to Adaptive S..." and has
3
> > tabs titled "Login", "Database" and "Network".
> >
> > I have tried both RTENG9.exe and DBSRV9.exe with the same results.
> >
> > Now if I close the 1st transaction object prior to accessing the 2nd,
> > everything is fine.  This is not how I want to handle this.  I thought
> > multiple connections to multiple databases would not be an issue with
ASA.

> > I don't get this behavior running the application on the desktop, just
the
> > handheld.  Everything inthe window is specified properly, but clicking
the
> > "Ok" does not complete the operation after the attempt to connect with
the
> > 2nd transaction object.
> >
> > Any ideas on this one?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Bob

0
Robert
3/3/2004 7:23:39 PM
Could I do the same using connect strings? I am assuming that I would need
to specify the -gd all (or -gd dba) option in order for MyServer to be able
to start the second database. If so, I assume I would need:

Start=\Program Files\ASA\Sybase\dbsrv8.exe -n MyServer -gd all

"Reg Domaratzki" <Spam_bad_rdomarat@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > We were able to work around this limitation with a bit of a kludge. Our
> > application starts the database server with two databases, waits a bit,
> then
> > connects via the normal way. This way, we get one database server
instance
> > serving up two databases.
> >
> > "Karen Bailey" <baileyk7@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Are you attempting to run both databases on the pocketpc?
> > >
> > > I believe this may be a limitation of the engine or OS.  I was not
able
> > > start 2 instances of a database on the pocketpc, but i am able to
> connect
> > > a local db on the pocketpc and a remote database on the desktop.
> > >
> > > Karen
> > >
> > > "Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in

0
Mark
3/3/2004 8:33:10 PM
I'm guessing here, but you probably need to add -gd all to the Start line,
to allow other databases to be started.

"Robert Regnell" <rpr_no_spam_at_techassist_dot_com_no_spam> wrote in
message news:404630e4$1@forums-2-dub...

0
Mark