Open Server Limits (open server 11.1.1ebf7663 & hpxu10.20)

We're in the process of working through some efficiency issues with open
server
(with the help of Sybase I hope :-), and I was wondering what limits other
people have
run into with open server.

Our problem is that with 200 connections we can get a certain throughput on
our
open server, but with an additional 200 idle connections we only get 60% of
that
throughput. In addition to the lack of throughput, we're seeing times(3)
return
30% users time, and 70% system time, and a bucket load of select(2)
calls/second
being done.

We don't really have the option of reducing the number of users in the short
term,
so I'm curious if other people have had better luck on other platforms. (or
older releases :-)

thanks in advance,
tan

0
Tan
4/1/1998 3:41:35 PM
sybase.open-client 2017 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Tan Bronson" <tan@advantix.com> wrote:
>Our problem is that with 200 connections we can get a certain throughput on
>our
>open server, but with an additional 200 idle connections we only get 60% of
>that
>throughput. In addition to the lack of throughput, we're seeing times(3)
>return
>30% users time, and 70% system time, and a bucket load of select(2)
>calls/second
>being done.
>
>We don't really have the option of reducing the number of users in the short
>term,
>so I'm curious if other people have had better luck on other platforms. (or
>older releases :-)

We have deployed Open Server 10.0.3 under HP-UX 9.0.4 since 1995-96
and we are supporting more than 600 users now.  We have not observe
any performance degradation with more idle users (either 5 or 500)...
we use connection multiplexing.

We also did some stress test with a custom "blaster" (an open server)
which forwarded one RPC call on 500 connections to the open server
program to be stressed.  We also tried 2 x 500... Things became
rather slow (1000 RPC requests in a few seconds is statistically
"unusual" !), but the target open server survived quite well.

See the above message "Announce: CIG, CT10DLL & API - "free"
Middleware for Sybase" in the news.3rd_party_products newsgroup
for more details on the free library that we have made available.

And, by the way, the "ctosdemo.c" sample that was shipped in 1995 with
Open Server 10.x is a very simple, very basic (no error recovery, no
diagnostic), example of open server programming. It appears its
purpose is strictly tutorial.

If you are looking in using Open Server and improving the performance
of your system, my feeling is that you have to do connection
multiplexing.  This will make the load lighter on SQL Server and help
it dramatically.

Note: We will be moving to Open server 11.x & HP-UX 10.x later this
 summer.

Jean-Francois Touchette
co-author of the CIG/CT10api web pages and librairies
http://www3.sympatico.ca/jftouchette

0
jftouchette

End Of Life Notification for Open Client/C Dev. Kit 11.1.1 and Open Server 11.1.1
Subject: End Of Life Notification for Open Client/C Dev. Kit 11.1.1 and Open Server 11.1.1 November 13, 2001 Dear Valued Sybase Customer: This letter provides notification of an extension of a previously announced end of engineering support. The end of engineering support has been extended from December 31, 2001 to September 30, 2002 for the following versions of Sybase products. Product Version Platform End of Migration Path Engineering Support Open Client/C 11.1.1 ...

Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server & Adaptive Server Enterprise
*Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server, (10.x - 12.0) Adaptive Server Enterprise and SQL Server This document shows the interoperability of Open Client 11.1.1 and 12.0 with Open Server 10.0.4, 11.1.1 and 12.0, Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5.x, 11.9.x and 12.0, and SQL Server 11.0.3. (Oct 17 2001) http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013031 *Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server (11.x - 12.x) and Adaptive Server Enterprise This document shows the interoperability of Open Client versions 11.1.1, 12.0 and 12.5 with Open Server versions 11.1.1, 1...

Open Client 11.1.1 with Adaptive Server Anywhere
We are trying to install Open Client 11.1.1 and run it with Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0. The problem starts when trying to assign the different service to a "Server Service", which is defaulted to "SQL Server" - we are trying to use it not with Server but SQL Anywhere. Have you ever encountered this problem, and is it possible to find the service name or address somewhere in the configuration? The main reason for installing the Open Client is to connect Brio Reports to my database and be able to use stored procedures. They are only supported when connecte through...

Open Client and Open Server API Newsgroup
Does anyone know of an newsgroup or web site for Open Server or Open Client programming? Patrick Hood Try sybase.public.connectivity.open_client -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX http://www.eganomics.com Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm ...

Error in C application when opening two cursors with Open Client 11.1.1
Hi all, When have and application that works with Sybase Adaptive Server. This application uses Direct Connection Open Client 11.1.1 to connect to the database and alternatively Microsoft SQL Server ODBC driver 6.5. We have traced the problem and we know that when the application opens a second cursor in the same transaction and that the first one is not closed then we have an error. The problem is that with a Microsoft SQL Server ODBC driver 6.5 everything works fine. If you have any clue, please let me know, Thank You Jeff ...

Is Open Client/Server Products Version 11.1.1 for Windows NT compatible with Window 2000 ?
Is Open Client/Server Products Version 11.1.1 for Windows NT compatible with Window 2000 > Is Open Client/Server Products Version 11.1.1 for Windows NT compatible > with Window 2000 I am using Open Client with Windows 2000 Prof without any problems. Stephan It is certified by Sybase. The 11.1.1 version was made for NT but works and is certified with 2000. One small wrinkle is that Microsoft changed the default locations for programs that get run from the start button. NT had: winnt -> Profiles -> all users -> start menu -> Programs -> Sybase S...

Open Client/Server C 11.1 on Aix
We have 10 servers on a WAN connected with slow dialup routers. We do all our C compiling on one local system and distribute the exe's to the remote systems. We have just installed Open Client/Server version 11.1 on the local system. Can someone tell me what subsets of the open client install must be on the remote systems to allow an Open client C program to function? We would like to save disk space on the remote systems as they are older systems and are running short on disk space. TIA, Gary This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------AA01380A06D319251B...

Open Server 11.1.1 on Linux?
Is Open Server 11.1.1 currently available on Linux? The documentation packaged with ASE 11.9.2 for Linux seems to indicate that it is, but it isn't available from the download site. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Marcus Daubaras mdaubaras@ftdi.com ...

Open Client/Server Ver 11.1 files required?
We have 10 servers on a WAN connected with slow dialup routers. We do all our C compiling on one local system and distribute the exe's to the remote systems. Each remote system has a full installation of ASE 11.92. We have just installed Open Client/Server version 11.1 on the local system. Can someone tell me what subsets of the open client install must be on the remote systems to allow an Open client C program to function? We would like to save disk space on the remote systems as they are older systems and are running short on disk space. TIA, Gary Gary Johnson wrot...

Open Server 11.1.1 hangs
We have an Open Server that hangs if compiled using Open Server 11.1.1. It work fine with 10.0.x. Even when executing "exec <osname>...sp_ps" from a ASE it hangs. Any help is welcome. Thanks, Eduardo Marques Eduardo, What platform/os are you running the OpenServer? Do the sample OpenServer programs work? Can you attach to the hung process with the debugger and get a stacktrace. Also you should make sure you are on the latest ebf for OpenServer 11.1.1. Steve Healey Sybase TS Eduardo A A Marques wrote: > We have an Open Server that ...

Open Client SQL Server 11.0.1 for Digital Unix
I need help I have the SQL Server 11.0.1 for Digital Unix and in the list of products the OpenClient doesn't appear. I want to know if I should acquire the compatible OpenClient with the version of the SQL Server 11.0.1 or if it serves me the Monitor Client Library that appears in the list of products of the Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.9.3 for Digital Unix ...

Open Client SQL Server 11.0.1 for Digital Unix #2
I need help I have the SQL Server 11.0.1 for Digital Unix and in the list of products the OpenClient doesn't appear. I want to know if I should acquire the compatible OpenClient with the version of the SQL Server 11.0.1 or if it serves me the Monitor Client Library that appears in the list of products of the Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.9.3 for Digital Unix Andr�s Welti wrote: > I have the SQL Server 11.0.1 for Digital Unix and in the list of products > the OpenClient doesn't appear. You get the basic OC with a server install. If you want the development v...

How to create inline SQL functions thru Open client/Open Server environment
Hi, I know Sybase ASE provides java as a method to create UDFs which could be used directly in Sql statements. Like I have a function foo(in_val) which accepts in_val and returns out_val. This function could be used as select * from emp where foo(empno)>=1 function foo can be created as a java class and can be used. BUT IF I DONT WANT TO USE JAVA AND NEITHER PROXY TABLES/procedures..THEN Could I create these functions through Open Client/Open Server programming environment and use directly in SQL statements ..if yes How..? I hope My question is clear. Thanks Gag...

Open Client 11.1.1 vs 11.1.0
Hi, We are using Open Client Ct library version 11.1.0 and I find all references to Open Cleint 11.1.1 and no 11.1.0. Can anyone let me know the difference (if any) between these two versions? Thanks, Bappa Roy Bappa, There are a couple new features in 11.1.1, as well as various bug fixes. I highly recommend using 11.1.1 over 11.1.0. For PC environments, you can just overlay. The latest EBF for PC 32-bit is 8021. Similar EBF #s for all other platforms too. John McVicker SPS Philadelphia, PA Bappa Roy wrote: > > Hi, > > We are using Open Client C...

Web resources about - Open Server Limits (open server 11.1.1ebf7663 & hpxu10.20) - sybase.open-client

The Mystery of Ezra’s Parents Is Solved On Star Wars Rebels
From the very first episode of Star Wars Rebels , Ezra Bridger has been alone. He lived and fended for himself. And now, with the help of his ...

Yahoo launches a Video Guide app to make it easier for cord cutters
Yahoo has been busy introducing a brand new app aimed at cord cutters and updating the official Tumblr app. Stop searching The app supports ...

9 cities other than San Francisco where you can make $100,000+ as a software engineer
The average software engineer's salary may be highest in San Francisco, but you can make a comfortable living even if you don't come to Silicon ...

Harry Reid Calls Justice Scalia ‘Racist’ After His Remarks On Affirmitive Action
The Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid called Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia “racist” after the justice made controversial comments about ...

Serial Season 2, episode 1 recap: The case of the disappeared soldier
Spoiler alert: The following contains a discussion of the content in episode 1 of season 2 of Serial. We recommend you listen to the podcast ...

Rahm Emanuel Won't Step Down But a New Proposal Might Force His Hand
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he won’t relinquish his post, but an Illinois State Representative is calling his bluff amid widespread city ...

Google Photos' new albums make it easier to share memories
When the time comes to collect photos from your weekend camping trip, Google Photos now has a way to do so with ease. With the image repository's ...

Does Kim Jong-un have a HYDROGEN bomb in North Korea?
North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has proudly claimed that the secret state has developed a hydrogen bomb, a step up from the less powerful atomic ...

Better Than Socks Under the Tree: Verizon Offers 'The Gift of Data'
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots, new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv, a company that catalogs, tags and ...

Review: SwitchEasy's CoverBuddy Protects Your iPad Pro and Holds an Apple Pencil
Apple offers protection for the iPad Pro in the form of a Smart Cover and a Silicone Case for the back of the device, but Apple's products are ...