Open Client installation to remote clients - intranet?

I need to install Open Client on an unknown number of remote PCs.
Installing and/or running Open Client from/on a file server is not an option
because of network architecture problems.  Also, ftp'ing the installation
files out to each client PC and running the install locally is not an
option.  SO, has anyone ever set up Open Client to be installed over an
inter/intranet, possibly via a browser?

I've tried running the Open Client installation from a browser link, but
setup.exe fails every time.
Details:  I copied the entire Open Client installation CD to a Windows NT
file server.  Since not all the end users can map a drive to that NT Server,
we created an intranet web page with a link to the Open Client setup.exe
file.  Running setup.exe from the link causes the following error message to
appear in a window every time:

Setup Initialization Error
Setup is unable to find _SETUP.DLL, which is needed to complete the
installation.
Error 103

The local web guru says that browsers cannot handle the underscore character
"_" which is why it can't find the files.  When we run setup.exe from the
same NT directory with a drive mapped, it runs fine.

Any ideas?  I already opened/closed Sybase and they said they do not support
intranet installs of their products but I can't believe no other customers
have needed to do this.

Thanks!

____________________________

Brian Dehn, Principal Consultant
Polarsoft Limited
2465 Central Avenue, Suite 205
Boulder, CO  80301
+1.888.720-6230 (voice, pager)
+1.303.440.7448 (fax)
http://www.polarsoftltd.com

0
Brian
12/7/1999 11:55:49 PM
sybase.open-client 2017 articles. 0 followers. Follow

A colleague of mine suggested that you "zip" the installation files and
point to this file on your web page.
With a few instructions, your users can click on the zipped file, and WinZip
(recommended) will unzip the files
automatically and allow the users to run setup within the WinZip program.
A self-extracting zipped file will work differently, but may be an
alternative.
-------
Larry Zar
Database Services
PWGSC

"Brian Dehn" <bdehn@polarsoftltd.com> wrote in message
> I need to install Open Client on an unknown number of remote PCs.
> Installing and/or running Open Client from/on a file server is not an
option
> because of network architecture problems.  Also, ftp'ing the installation
> files out to each client PC and running the install locally is not an
> option.  SO, has anyone ever set up Open Client to be installed over an
> inter/intranet, possibly via a browser?
>
> I've tried running the Open Client installation from a browser link, but
> setup.exe fails every time.
> Details:  I copied the entire Open Client installation CD to a Windows NT
> file server.  Since not all the end users can map a drive to that NT
Server,
> we created an intranet web page with a link to the Open Client setup.exe
> file.  Running setup.exe from the link causes the following error message
> appear in a window every time:
>
> Setup Initialization Error
> Setup is unable to find _SETUP.DLL, which is needed to complete the
> installation.
> Error 103
>
> The local web guru says that browsers cannot handle the underscore
character
> "_" which is why it can't find the files.  When we run setup.exe from the
> same NT directory with a drive mapped, it runs fine.
>
> Any ideas?  I already opened/closed Sybase and they said they do not
support
> intranet installs of their products but I can't believe no other customers
> have needed to do this.
>
> Thanks!
>
> ____________________________
>
> Brian Dehn, Principal Consultant
> Polarsoft Limited
> 2465 Central Avenue, Suite 205
> Boulder, CO  80301
> +1.888.720-6230 (voice, pager)
> +1.303.440.7448 (fax)
> http://www.polarsoftltd.com

0
Larry

Open Client installation at remote clients
We're running ASE 11.9 with clients using a Power Builder app. The clients are geographically dispersed (up to about 1,000 miles away), so we'd like to automate the distribution and installation of Open Client. I'm sure this is a situation that comes up often, so I wanted to see what soluations are out there that work. Can anybody tell me what's the best way of automating the distribution, installation and configuration process? Thanks in advance, Larry Coon University of California larry@assist.org and lmcoon@home.com ...

MASP client/Open Client
We are using Oracle 8x as our db. Our datawindow selects and updates are completed via stored procs. Does this make them a jag MASP client - If so, if we switch from using the Oracle native drivers to ODBC - do we have to configure Open Client? (there is a bit of a write up about this on p. 48 of Installation Guide sent with PB 7 but I don't know if it applies to non-sybase dbs) -- Jenine Serviolo 757.865.8440 x116 MASP refers to the way the client talks to Jaguar, it has nothing to do with database access that the server or components may make. You need Open Clie...

Open Mail Client on client machine
Hello,  I need to open the default mail client on a client machine once he hits a button (or link) on UI. The mail client must be populated with default info (from, to, bcc, cc, sub, body, priority). I understand that two approaches are 1. Using Mailto: (but with limitations like Cant use a FROM field, Cant set Priority, Mail Size limitation) - Hence cant use this 2. Using MAPI (but the code I have opens outlook on server rather than client machine)  Can someone help with MAPI code that opens outlook on client machine?...

GW802HP3 client

open windows client application from web client
Hello, How can i open a windows client from my web client application? I read about this a long time ago. Can someone please provide me with documentation and examples to learn from.   Regards, There are two ways: 1) use an ActiveX control. The user has to agree to install it. With an ActiveX control,  you can do almost anything. 2) for well-known file extensions such as xls and doc, you can just put a link to the file. When the user clicks on the link, the application will open. The application (Excel, Word, etc.) needs to be installed on the user's computer for this to...

Installing Novell Client on Open Suse 11.4 novell-client-2.0-sp2-sle11-i586.iso
I am trying to get the Novell Client installed and running on a couple of Open Suse 11.4 machines. Has anyone had any success getting this running? novell-client-2.0-sp2-sle11-i586.iso I have downloaded the file as an ISO from the Novell Downloads, but I cannot get it to install. I have downloaded the Version 11 as per the file name above. I keep getting one dependency after another when trying to install. Any help appreciated. Kind regards Matthew -- GOONER23 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 2011-06-22 08:36, G...

Open Client Client-Library (CS_VERSION_110) Multithreaded Programming
Hi, I am going to develog a Multithreaded Programming on a "HP-UX m3vmsa3 B.11.00 U 9000/800 178951547 unlimited-user license" operating system. Sybase provides a "sybopts.sh" helper script for UNIX makefiles. For HPUX it provides two tags: hp800 and dce_hp800. In "Open Client/Server Programmer's Supplement for UNIX" says that Client-Library version 11.1 includes a new set of libraries that provide access to Distributed Computing Environment (DCE) services that provides "Multithreaded programming support", so I guess that I must use ...

Rolling Out Open Client to large client site(s)...
Can anyone out there make a recommendation onhow to roll out Sybase OpenClient to a large Windows environment? I am the database administrator / Unix Admin for a relatively large (several thousand PC users) site. Other than several back office applications, we are pretty much a "Microsoft Shop". One of my NT Admins who handles rolling out new client products (we use a tool called Wise, packaged up with Microsoft SMS) complained bitterly last year when we instituted 32-bit 11.1.1 into an environment that was 16-bit 10.0.4 (our application vendor finally upgraded their code t...

Open Client Installation.
How can I install "Open Client" in a Windows Nt operating system via login script or via "System Management Server"? Thank by Mirko Mangone sysp (pablo@keymail.com) wrote: : How can I install "Open Client" in a Windows Nt operating system via login : script or via "System Management Server"? : Thank Assuming your OpenClient/NT installation is on a file server somewhere, say M:\Syb, you need to set registry entries to set the SYBASE environment variable and to add the Dll and Bin directories to the PATH environment variable. Environment...

Open Client Installation
Hello, Is there any small and simple setup files for installing ASE native clients / open clients?? Regards, Riverwind riverwind@so-net.com.hk wrote... > Hello, > > Is there any small and simple setup files for installing ASE native clients > / open clients?? Not at this time. I requested this at TechWave and I hope to see it soon. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Thanks Jim for your information. ~Riverwind "Jim Egan" <dontspam.dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message news:MPG.17ce058b323be96298bf33@forums.sybase.com... > riverwind@...

Open Client Installation
We have created an app that requires access to ASE12. In order to do so, we are using the Open Client Runtime installation off of the client disk. However, we do not want to install the ASE full client on all of the systems, and would like to be able to install this with minimal effort on the end of our users. Is there an Open Client Runtime installation that we can get from somewhere that we can include in our package to get to the users? You did not mention the platform. The only thing you can do is have the client install the Open Client sdk from sybase as a pre-req. You c...

Open Client Installation
Okay, maybe I've missed this somewhere but I can't find it. I want to load just Open Client and not do a whole ASE installation. What is the best way to go about loading Open Client only on a HP server? Thanks, Linda Linda: Is the HP Server running NT or UNIX? If it's running NT you can use the Sybase Client for Windows and during the beginning of the standard client setup it will give you a checkbox list of options to install. Select Open Client. Let me know if you have it on UNIX and I'll let you know that way as well. Shawn Torkelson Senior D...

Open Client
Are the open client files required to use ASA as an Open Server (dll's, dsedit, etc) included with the 6.02 distribution? If not, how are they distributed and how are they licensed? Anyone know? regards David Doherty ...

Open ClientConnect vs Open Client
I am working on a messaging middleware integration project, come from messaging background and not DB savvy. Learning Sybase C API from web documents and came across this link: http://www.sybase.com/products/archivedproducts/openclientconnect Basically "Open ClientConnect is no longer offered by Sybase". What does this mean wrt ct_ library calls? If this is discontinued, what is the replacement? On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 20:42:36 -0800, wrote: > I am working on a messaging middleware integration project, > come from messaging background and not DB savvy. Learn...

I want to open a pdf which is exists in the client system or client network from my web application.
Hi, I have a requirement, i want to open a pdf file which is exists in the client place from my web application..i tried this by using anchor tag, but it is not working fine..<a href="c:\one.pdf" target="_blank">Opening PDF File</a>it is not working fine..if i write this code in .html file then it is opening file, if i write the code in .aspx file then it is not opening fine..this is a urgent requirement to me.. kindly help me in this.. regards,Raju   you cant.... the clients files/filesystem aren't accessible.You can TRY to use a fil...

Web resources about - Open Client installation to remote clients - intranet? - sybase.open-client

List of United States Army installations in Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blink Twice video installation at Summer Set Festival: 3D motion faces projected on trees - YouTube
Blink Twice is a video installation that transforms trees into huge 3D faces that smile, move, gesticulate and even follow the viewer's gaze. ...

Australia leads world in household solar panel installations
Australia has the highest rate of household solar panel installation in the world.

Tesla Powerwall home installations are starting for pilot customers
A first look at the consumer-facing Powerwall from Tesla. (credit: Megan Geuss) Tesla has begun shipping 7kWh stationary batteries— branded ...