connecting to ASE 11.5.1.1 via open client 11.1.1

hi folks:

i need help with an open client/server issue. our system administrator
upgraded our
development host to HP-UX 11 and now  .. i'm having trouble connecting to
ASE 11.5.1.1 via open client/server. we are using open client 11.1.1.

this error was generated trying to run bcp against our development box from
another host:

CTLIB Message:  - L5/O3/S5/N4/5/0:
ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Net-Lib
protocol
 driver call to connect two endpoints failed
Establishing connection failed.

attempts to connect from powerbuilder and dbartisan generate similar
errors.

no such problem occured prior to the upgrade from HP-UX 10.
and .. no problem currently exists connecting to our production server
running HP-UX 10.

i understood ASE 11.5 was certified to run on HP-UX 11 (and it appears to).
is it possible open client 11.1.1 is not going to work for me?

i believe i am pointing correctly to the SYBASE directory.

the following environment variables are set in the sybase account's
..profile:

SYBASE=/opt/sybase
SHLIB_PATH=/opt/sybase/lib:/usr/lib

the /opt/sybase/config/libtcl.cfg file does not specify a driver in the
DRIVERS section
so i understand (from the configuration guide) that open client will use a
platform specific
default driver (.. in the case of HP-UX i believe that is libinsck.sl).
as i noted initially .. this scenario works fine on our production HP-UX 10
server..
and did work fine prior to the HP-UX 11 upgrade on the development server.

i don't know if this is pertinent .. (i'm very weak on this stuff!) .. but
when i
run bcp locally on the developement box it works fine .. but bcp fails when
run
remotely from another server.

any help would be appreciated!

thanks,  jim

0
jim_burgess
11/8/2001 4:47:46 PM
sybase.open-client 2017 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Jim,

    First check could be do you have a server entry on the box running "bcp" in
interfaces file?

Regards,
Shashi

jim_burgess wrote:

> hi folks:
>
> i need help with an open client/server issue. our system administrator
> upgraded our
> development host to HP-UX 11 and now  .. i'm having trouble connecting to
> ASE 11.5.1.1 via open client/server. we are using open client 11.1.1.
>
> this error was generated trying to run bcp against our development box from
> another host:
>
> CTLIB Message:  - L5/O3/S5/N4/5/0:
> ct_connect(): network packet layer: internal net library error: Net-Lib
> protocol
>  driver call to connect two endpoints failed
> Establishing connection failed.
>
> attempts to connect from powerbuilder and dbartisan generate similar
> errors.
>
> no such problem occured prior to the upgrade from HP-UX 10.
> and .. no problem currently exists connecting to our production server
> running HP-UX 10.
>
> i understood ASE 11.5 was certified to run on HP-UX 11 (and it appears to).
> is it possible open client 11.1.1 is not going to work for me?
>
> i believe i am pointing correctly to the SYBASE directory.
>
> the following environment variables are set in the sybase account's
> .profile:
>
> SYBASE=/opt/sybase
> SHLIB_PATH=/opt/sybase/lib:/usr/lib
>
> the /opt/sybase/config/libtcl.cfg file does not specify a driver in the
> DRIVERS section
> so i understand (from the configuration guide) that open client will use a
> platform specific
> default driver (.. in the case of HP-UX i believe that is libinsck.sl).
> as i noted initially .. this scenario works fine on our production HP-UX 10
> server..
> and did work fine prior to the HP-UX 11 upgrade on the development server.
>
> i don't know if this is pertinent .. (i'm very weak on this stuff!) .. but
> when i
> run bcp locally on the developement box it works fine .. but bcp fails when
> run
> remotely from another server.
>
> any help would be appreciated!
>
> thanks,  jim

0
Shashikant
11/10/2001 1:35:56 AM
shashi .. thanks for you response.

shashi's suggestion:

>Jim,
>   First check could be do you have a server entry on the box >running
"bcp" in
>interfaces file?

ok .. checked. there is a server entry in the interfaces file. in fact,
there are two entries ... bcp'ing from one server works fine (it's running
HP-UX 10) .. and one fails (the server that has just been upgraded to HP-UX
11).

jim

0
jim_burgess
11/15/2001 5:08:22 PM
Hello,

If you are able to connect to the the server using isql from the
machine on which ASE is running (i.e. locally), but you can't
connect to it from a remote machine (pc, another UNIX box, etc.),
it is likely that you are using a loopback address in your hosts file.

Check your /etc/hosts on the machine where ASE is running.  Does
it have something like:
127.0.0.1       localhost my_server
12.133.215.36  my_server

If it does, that could be causing the problem. You can remove the
"my_server" from the 127.0.0.1 line and things should be OK.

jim_burgess wrote:

> shashi .. thanks for you response.
>
> shashi's suggestion:
>
> >Jim,
> >   First check could be do you have a server entry on the box >running
> "bcp" in
> >interfaces file?
>
> ok .. checked. there is a server entry in the interfaces file. in fact,
> there are two entries ... bcp'ing from one server works fine (it's running
> HP-UX 10) .. and one fails (the server that has just been upgraded to HP-UX
> 11).
>
> jim

0
Neal
11/15/2001 10:20:14 PM
Oh, and you may have to restart ASE.
If it started up and bound to address 127.0.0.0 then
you will need to restart it after changing the hosts file.

jim_burgess wrote:

> shashi .. thanks for you response.
>
> shashi's suggestion:
>
> >Jim,
> >   First check could be do you have a server entry on the box >running
> "bcp" in
> >interfaces file?
>
> ok .. checked. there is a server entry in the interfaces file. in fact,
> there are two entries ... bcp'ing from one server works fine (it's running
> HP-UX 10) .. and one fails (the server that has just been upgraded to HP-UX
> 11).
>
> jim

0
Neal
11/15/2001 10:23:35 PM
neal ...

THANK-YOU!  your suggestion helped point us in the right direction and we
were able to resolve our connectivity problem.

quickly .. the upgrade to HP-UX 11 resulted in duplication of interface
names in the /etc/hosts file. the ?front-end? and ?back-end? entries for
the same host were both designated with the same interface name:
?garfield?.

before the upgrade the /etc/hosts file entries:

131.104.xx.xx   garfield-e1
131.104.yy.yy   garfield        garfield.cs.uoguelph.ca

and after the HP-UX upgrade:

131.104.xx.xx    garfield        garfield-e1
131.104.yy.yy    garfield        garfield-e0 garfield.cs.uoguelph.ca

so when garfield?s interfaces file referred to ?garfield? before the os
upgrade .. the first entry encountered in the scan of the  /etc/hosts file
was the ?front-end? interface and ?open server? listened on the correct
port. However, after the upgrade, the first entry for ?garfield? in the
/etc/hosts file was now the ?back-end? interface and ?open server? was
inappropriately directed to listen on ?garfield-e1? (the ?back-end
interface?). Given that all remote access to garfield is directed to the
?front-end interface? .. we failed to make a connection.

i modified sybase's interfaces file to look for ?garfield-e0? and the
appropriate /etc/hosts entry is found.

thanks again neal!

jim

0