Cannot read address string from server (Sybase10.04-OPEN CLIENT/SERVER)

Hi,
  I have SYBASE 10.04 on my PC (Window 95 platform).  I would like to
connect to
SQL Server on my Ultra II (Solaris 2.6, Sybase 11.5).   I use SQLEDIT on
my PC to do the followings:
1. Select New Server Entry from the sqledit Server menu.
2. In the Input Server Name text box, I entered oeussun4, then click
ADD.
3. Enter SUN SERVER tcp/ip address, followed by a comma and the server's
listen port
number (4100) in Connection's Information/Network Address box.
4. Service Type is master.
5. Platform is Window 95
6. Click Add Service.
7. Click File, Save, Exit.

Now I click Ping from SYBPING menu.  I got error "Cannot read address
string from server".
Would anyone out there know how to fix the problem?  I really appreciate
very much.
Thanks
Trang Ngo
ngo_t@bls.gov

0
Trang
11/2/1998 9:33:49 PM
sybase.open-client 2017 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The only thing I can see wrong with your explanation is that you chose
<master> instead of <client> for the Service Type. Master is used if one is
running a server on this machine, whereas client is used for client
connections to a server running anywhere on the network.

Hope this clears things up.

Trang Ngo wrote in message <363E253D.C6A5C9F9@bls.gov>...
>Hi,
>  I have SYBASE 10.04 on my PC (Window 95 platform).  I would like to
>connect to
>SQL Server on my Ultra II (Solaris 2.6, Sybase 11.5).   I use SQLEDIT on
>my PC to do the followings:
>1. Select New Server Entry from the sqledit Server menu.
>2. In the Input Server Name text box, I entered oeussun4, then click
>ADD.
>3. Enter SUN SERVER tcp/ip address, followed by a comma and the server's
>listen port
>number (4100) in Connection's Information/Network Address box.
>4. Service Type is master.
>5. Platform is Window 95
>6. Click Add Service.
>7. Click File, Save, Exit.
>
>Now I click Ping from SYBPING menu.  I got error "Cannot read address
>string from server".
>Would anyone out there know how to fix the problem?  I really appreciate
>very much.
>Thanks
>Trang Ngo
>ngo_t@bls.gov

0
Pieter
11/3/1998 12:41:43 PM
Trang Ngo wrote:

> Hi,
>   I have SYBASE 10.04 on my PC (Window 95 platform).  I would like to
> connect to
> SQL Server on my Ultra II (Solaris 2.6, Sybase 11.5).   I use SQLEDIT on
> my PC to do the followings:
> 1. Select New Server Entry from the sqledit Server menu.
> 2. In the Input Server Name text box, I entered oeussun4, then click
> ADD.
> 3. Enter SUN SERVER tcp/ip address, followed by a comma and the server's
> listen port
> number (4100) in Connection's Information/Network Address box.
> 4. Service Type is master.
> 5. Platform is Window 95
> 6. Click Add Service.
> 7. Click File, Save, Exit.
>
> Now I click Ping from SYBPING menu.  I got error "Cannot read address
> string from server".
> Would anyone out there know how to fix the problem?  I really appreciate
> very much.
> Thanks
> Trang Ngo
> ngo_t@bls.gov

   It happens if you configure 32-bit entries in your  SQL.INI
and uses a 16-bit tool, or vice-versa.

   Also, take a look at SQL.INI since 16-bit applications use a
"win3_query" entry and 32-bit a "query" entry.

   If this is your situation, use SQLEDIT to include both (16 and
32-bits) entries in your SQL.INI and things will work fine.

Regards,
Eduardo Marques
0
Eduardo

Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server & Adaptive Server Enterprise
*Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server, (10.x - 12.0) Adaptive Server Enterprise and SQL Server This document shows the interoperability of Open Client 11.1.1 and 12.0 with Open Server 10.0.4, 11.1.1 and 12.0, Adaptive Server Enterprise 11.5.x, 11.9.x and 12.0, and SQL Server 11.0.3. (Oct 17 2001) http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1013031 *Interoperability Matrix for Open Client with Open Server (11.x - 12.x) and Adaptive Server Enterprise This document shows the interoperability of Open Client versions 11.1.1, 12.0 and 12.5 with Open Server versions 11.1.1, 1...

Open Client and Open Server API Newsgroup
Does anyone know of an newsgroup or web site for Open Server or Open Client programming? Patrick Hood Try sybase.public.connectivity.open_client -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX http://www.eganomics.com Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm ...

automation server to client and client to server
I have to applications that need to communicate with each other. Is it practical for both of them to be servers and clients to each other? One of the applications will work primarily as a server and will launch the other application. The newly launched application needs to be able to send occasional information to the server to update information in the application that launched it. Also, if the user attempts to close the launched application it needs to tell the launcher application to close the appl ication that it launched. Does this sound practical? This is kind of like launching wo...

Pass values from server to client and client to server?
Hi, i have a scenario, i want to  pass some values to an image and a label dynamically from database. i want to use an anchor(a href) tag and when the mouse goes over the anchor , an image url and label text must change with the values from database. Suppose that there are more than one anchor at the page.  One more thing, anchors must get the id values of the records from database at page_Load() and the queries use these these ids again to retreive imageurl and label text values from database when ...

How to create inline SQL functions thru Open client/Open Server environment
Hi, I know Sybase ASE provides java as a method to create UDFs which could be used directly in Sql statements. Like I have a function foo(in_val) which accepts in_val and returns out_val. This function could be used as select * from emp where foo(empno)>=1 function foo can be created as a java class and can be used. BUT IF I DONT WANT TO USE JAVA AND NEITHER PROXY TABLES/procedures..THEN Could I create these functions through Open Client/Open Server programming environment and use directly in SQL statements ..if yes How..? I hope My question is clear. Thanks Gag...

Open Client/Server
Dear all I am newbie to Sybase if anyone could answer my question it will be greatfull.Thank you in advance. What is Sybase Open Client/Server ? Where i can download the setup for this application ? How libct.dll,libcs.dll and libcomn.dll related to this Open Client /Server ? How is differs to Windows 95 and Windows XP ? Regards Waheed Hello, Open Client and Open Server are a collection of C API's that allow developers to create programs that access the Sybase ASE database or Open Server applications. NOTE: As of Open Client version 12.5, the product is named "S...

Open Client on the Server
Does anybody use Open Client on the server? If yes, then what EBF you use? Are results good? Any pointers on how to get the right EBF to insure the best multithreading and minimum memory leaks? Thanks, Eugene. Eugene Krupatkin Krupach, Inc. Eugene Krupatkin wrote: > > Does anybody use Open Client on the server? Err... what do you mean by that? Michael -- Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc. mpeppler@mbay.net -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler Int. Sybase User Group -||- http://www.isug.com Sybase on Linux mailing list: ase-linux-lis...

open default email client with server load of address.
asp.net I need to present user with list box of user names as text and email address as value.  User selects multiple user names (email address values) and then clicks on link button.  Server loads "mailto" with from, to, replyto, subject, body and opens client default email client with server driven info.  How can this be done?  I do not want to limit to outlook.  Must open default email client.  check this out:http://jelle.druyts.net/PermaLink.aspx?guid=b8e15df1-5948-4f87-a976-b858a65c9baa NAbeel--*Please mark as answer if you find this post h...

End Of Life Notification for Open Client/C Dev. Kit 11.1.1 and Open Server 11.1.1
Subject: End Of Life Notification for Open Client/C Dev. Kit 11.1.1 and Open Server 11.1.1 November 13, 2001 Dear Valued Sybase Customer: This letter provides notification of an extension of a previously announced end of engineering support. The end of engineering support has been extended from December 31, 2001 to September 30, 2002 for the following versions of Sybase products. Product Version Platform End of Migration Path Engineering Support Open Client/C 11.1.1 ...

New to open client/server
Hi. After following all the instruction I tried to compile the first example. after a few compiling errors i managed to somehow bypass i encountered with the following linking errors: --------------------Configuration: firstapp - Win32 Debug-------------------- Compiling... firstapp.c f:\sybase\ocs-12_5\sample\ctlib\firstapp.c(106) : warning C4013: 'exit' undefined; assuming extern returning int Linking... firstapp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ct_con_drop@4 firstapp.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _ct_close@8 firstapp.obj : error L...

Courses on Open Client/Server
Does sybase still offer courses on open client/open server or where these topics merge into another course?? OB Hello, I think there is still an Open Client and Open Server programming course: http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002720 http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002721 I couldn't find either course on the schedule on the website. Try calling 1-800-8-SYBASE to see if they can provide more details on scheduling. Orlando_Briganty wrote: > Does sybase still offer courses on open client/open server or where these > topics merge into another course?? > &g...

Open Client ( Server??) Environment
We have an ancient server running Sybase middleware, ver 11.1 of Open Client, (no Sybase server) from which we compiled and ran C (GCC) code used in scripts against our various Sybase servers. This server is dying. We still require this environment. I have been given a newer Sun box running Solaris 9. Should I try to reproduce the old environment, or should I install the latest version of Open Client? If I go for the newer version, will I have to recompile everything? Will code recompiled in the newer version still work against my older servers - 11.5.1 and 11.0.3.2 on Sun Solaris...

Open Client/Server Install
Hi! I have just installed ASE 11.5.1on DEC Unix and am about to install Open Client and Open Server for the first time on the same machine. Does anyone have any pointers? I am inclined to install them in separate directories so as to segregate them from the actual 11.5.1 install. I this a good idea? We have an Accell app that will run on the same machine and use the Open Client libraries . . . Mike I have always installed them in the same directory and it is actually quite convenient since Open Client/Open Server programs need to be referencing the same $SYBASE environment v...

MSQL server and Open Client...
Does any body use Open Client from Linux to connect to MS SQL Server? AleX. Alexander Smirnoff wrote: > > Does any body use Open Client from Linux to connect to MS SQL Server? No problem with MS-SQL 6.x DBlibrary works with any version of MS-SQL7 Client Library needs a patch to MS-SQL7 to work. Michael -- Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc. mpeppler@peppler.org -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler Int. Sybase User Group -||- http://www.isug.com Sybase on Linux mailing list: ase-linux-list@isug.com Thanks, Michael... But working with DBLibrary...

Web resources about - Cannot read address string from server (Sybase10.04-OPEN CLIENT/SERVER) - sybase.open-client