PB Crashes when attempting to insert OLE control

Just realized that I can't insert an OLE control.  Not a good time since I
need to be able to insert one.

If I try to insert an ole control, the insert object dialog opens.  However,
when I select the "insert control" tab, PowerBuilder crashes.  Through some
perusing of the newsgroups, I was also able to determine that if I opened
the object browser and double clicked the "OLE Custom Controls" node,
PowerBuilder crashes there also.  Now here's the catch.  This is in PB9.0.3
Build 8784.  When I try to do the same thing in PB10.0.2 Build 9761,
everything works just fine.

My machine is Windows XP SP2, all critical patches applied.

What I have done is ran regmon against PB9, to watch what is happening in
the registry as it tries to load the control.

My problem is, I'm having a problem understanding everything I'm seeing
here.  I've filtered the result set down to just pb90.exe entries, so I'm
only looking at those.  I think I understand that I'm supposed to find the
last successfully inserted control into the result.  And that the next one
down should be the problem child.  Then I should unregister that control.
However, like I said, I'm not sure what to look at in order to determine
which one was the last successful one.  I'm looking at so many "Not Founds",
that it would seem that the entire registry is broken.

I can see when the registry trips into ErrorReporting mode.  My gut told me
it was the entry above that.  An OCX control under the System32 directory.
I unregistered the ocx, fired up PB9 and down it went again.  Was able to
reregister control without any problems.  So I know it's not that one.  One
down, Five Thousand to go!!  ;-)

Anyway, I was just curious if anybody can point me in the right direction as
far as tracking down what registry entry would be causing PB to crash when
you try to access an OLE control.  Any information would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA

Jeff Gibson
Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner
Nashville, TN

0
Jeff

http://teamsybase.net/blogs/?p=257

Actually, it will be the last one accessed that is the problem, not
the one after it.  It was PB accessing that control that caused it to
crash.

On 5 Feb 2008 23:10:56 -0800, "Jeff Gibson"
<jgibson@interceptsolutions.com> wrote:

>Just realized that I can't insert an OLE control.  Not a good time since I
>need to be able to insert one.
>
>If I try to insert an ole control, the insert object dialog opens.  However,
>when I select the "insert control" tab, PowerBuilder crashes.  Through some
>perusing of the newsgroups, I was also able to determine that if I opened
>the object browser and double clicked the "OLE Custom Controls" node,
>PowerBuilder crashes there also.  Now here's the catch.  This is in PB9.0.3
>Build 8784.  When I try to do the same thing in PB10.0.2 Build 9761,
>everything works just fine.
>
>My machine is Windows XP SP2, all critical patches applied.
>
>What I have done is ran regmon against PB9, to watch what is happening in
>the registry as it tries to load the control.
>
>My problem is, I'm having a problem understanding everything I'm seeing
>here.  I've filtered the result set down to just pb90.exe entries, so I'm
>only looking at those.  I think I understand that I'm supposed to find the
>last successfully inserted control into the result.  And that the next one
>down should be the problem child.  Then I should unregister that control.
>However, like I said, I'm not sure what to look at in order to determine
>which one was the last successful one.  I'm looking at so many "Not Founds",
>that it would seem that the entire registry is broken.
>
>I can see when the registry trips into ErrorReporting mode.  My gut told me
>it was the entry above that.  An OCX control under the System32 directory.
>I unregistered the ocx, fired up PB9 and down it went again.  Was able to
>reregister control without any problems.  So I know it's not that one.  One
>down, Five Thousand to go!!  ;-)
>
>Anyway, I was just curious if anybody can point me in the right direction as
>far as tracking down what registry entry would be causing PB to crash when
>you try to access an OLE control.  Any information would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>TIA
>
>Jeff Gibson
>Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner
>Nashville, TN

0
Bruce
2/6/2008 1:26:24 PM
Hey Bruce,

Thanks for the heads up on the info that were out there concerning this
issue.

I was able to get PowerBuilder 9 to stop choking on the insert ole control
section.  I ended up unregistering three controls...

C:\Windows\system32\tdc.ocx
C:\Windows\system32\mmcndmgr.dll
C:\Windows\system32\mstscax.dll

When I would try to put these controls on a form in the PB10 environment, I
would get the following error...

Insert OLE Control

OLE Control Is Missing Critical Interface 'IPersistStorage'

Good thing I didn't have to dig back too far.  There are probably about 400+
controls in my list.

So I'm able to add my DBI controls again.  However, I have noticed that if I
start to scroll through the whole list of insertable controls, at some point
after browsing down to about the middle of the list, PB does crash again.

I'm wondering if PB9 and earlier had some type of memory leak, and it would
maybe not necessarily crash on the first bad control it would hit, but that
it would build up until it brought PB down.

I'm going to keep checking through my control list and see if I can possibly
dig other bad entries out of the list.  The good news is I can insert ole
controls again in the PB9 environment.

Thanks for the help.

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:c9djq314rjq07n20mi2kkb4a3tlhateh0d@4ax.com...

> http://teamsybase.net/blogs/?p=257
>
> Actually, it will be the last one accessed that is the problem, not
> the one after it.  It was PB accessing that control that caused it to
> crash.
>
> On 5 Feb 2008 23:10:56 -0800, "Jeff Gibson"
> <jgibson@interceptsolutions.com> wrote:
>
>>Just realized that I can't insert an OLE control.  Not a good time since I
>>need to be able to insert one.
>>
>>If I try to insert an ole control, the insert object dialog opens.
>>However,
>>when I select the "insert control" tab, PowerBuilder crashes.  Through
>>some
>>perusing of the newsgroups, I was also able to determine that if I opened
>>the object browser and double clicked the "OLE Custom Controls" node,
>>PowerBuilder crashes there also.  Now here's the catch.  This is in
>>PB9.0.3
>>Build 8784.  When I try to do the same thing in PB10.0.2 Build 9761,
>>everything works just fine.
>>
>>My machine is Windows XP SP2, all critical patches applied.
>>
>>What I have done is ran regmon against PB9, to watch what is happening in
>>the registry as it tries to load the control.
>>
>>My problem is, I'm having a problem understanding everything I'm seeing
>>here.  I've filtered the result set down to just pb90.exe entries, so I'm
>>only looking at those.  I think I understand that I'm supposed to find the
>>last successfully inserted control into the result.  And that the next one
>>down should be the problem child.  Then I should unregister that control.
>>However, like I said, I'm not sure what to look at in order to determine
>>which one was the last successful one.  I'm looking at so many "Not
>>Founds",
>>that it would seem that the entire registry is broken.
>>
>>I can see when the registry trips into ErrorReporting mode.  My gut told
>>me
>>it was the entry above that.  An OCX control under the System32 directory.
>>I unregistered the ocx, fired up PB9 and down it went again.  Was able to
>>reregister control without any problems.  So I know it's not that one.
>>One
>>down, Five Thousand to go!!  ;-)
>>
>>Anyway, I was just curious if anybody can point me in the right direction
>>as
>>far as tracking down what registry entry would be causing PB to crash when
>>you try to access an OLE control.  Any information would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>>
>>TIA
>>
>>Jeff Gibson
>>Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner
>>Nashville, TN

0
Jeff
2/7/2008 4:36:40 PM
Interesting follow up.

I was able to determine that if I selected one of the java wrappers for
(msjava.dll), PB would crash.  This was actually only in PB7.  PB8 and
higher worked just fine.  In going through the registry I determined that
the InprocServer32 line just had msjava.dll.  I went ahead and put the
entire path into that line.  So the default line now says
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\msjava.dll"

Once I updated that info, PB7 stopped crashing.  So in all my tests from PB7
up to PB10.5, I think I have cleared up where the errors have been coming
from.

I was actually able to reregister the controls that were initially causing
the problem.  After multiple crashes, restarts and form tests, it looks like
I have cleared up this issue now.

Hope these posts are able to help somebody else in the future.  Thanks again
for the heads up Bruce.

"Jeff Gibson" <jgibson@interceptsolutions.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>>
>>>I can see when the registry trips into ErrorReporting mode.  My gut told
>>>me
>>>it was the entry above that.  An OCX control under the System32
>>>directory.
>>>I unregistered the ocx, fired up PB9 and down it went again.  Was able to
>>>reregister control without any problems.  So I know it's not that one.
>>>One
>>>down, Five Thousand to go!!  ;-)
>>>
>>>Anyway, I was just curious if anybody can point me in the right direction
>>>as
>>>far as tracking down what registry entry would be causing PB to crash
>>>when
>>>you try to access an OLE control.  Any information would be greatly
>>>appreciated.
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>
>>>Jeff Gibson
>>>Intercept Solutions - Sybase SQL Anywhere OEM Partner

0
Jeff

Web resources about - PB Crashes when attempting to insert OLE control - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

Facebook Seeks Detailed Information From Users Attempting To Block Or Report Other Users
Facebook continued down the path of seeking more information when users report potentially troublesome situations, following up its dialog box ...

Texas Tribune - "I was attempting to block a bill that... - Facebook
"I was attempting to block a bill that would have harmed thousands of women across the state of Texas,” Davis said of her filibuster. “Never ...

Video of Sen. Wendy Davis Attempting to put on Back-Brace During Filibuster - YouTube
If state Sen. Wendy Davis, D-Fort Worth, is charged with one more violation of the filibuster rules, her attempt to talk Senate Bill 5 to death ...

Two arrested attempting to smuggle heroin into the UAE
Two of the 'most active and dangerous' drug smugglers in the UAE were arrested in April in possession of 55 kilograms of heroin by a team of ...

Mother of woman attempting to flee ISIL says she is now at 'great risk'
The family of notorious Islamic State fighter Khaled Sharrouf is seeking to return to Sydney, according to a report.

Attempting to procure a murder charge against AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd withdrawn
AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd's charge of attempting to procure a murder has been withdrawn.

Woman in a critical condition after attempting to rescue boy from surf
A woman who tried to help a young boy after he was swept off rocks on the NSW north coast has been taken to hospital in a critical condition. ...

Andrew Davidson arrested after attempting to have sex with drinks trolley
... was ever a reason to quit alcohol, it's this. A 25-year-old Scottish man has been arrested after making a complete fool of himself while attempting ...

Abbott, Attempting To Order Coffee, Declares The Boats Have Stopped.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has been at the forefront of a ruckus this morning during an incident in which Mr. Abbott was attempting to order ...

Islamic State recruit lived in Sydney before attempting to travel to Syria
Asher Abid Khan was restless and living in Sydney when he began researching ways to travel to Syria or Iraq to join terror group Islamic State, ...