PB 6.5 OCX Crashes in EXE

I have build an application in Powerbuilder 6.5 that uses 2 OCX
controls. One of them is the GanttOCX from AddSoft, the other one is
home-made. Both OCX controls are working fine when running the
appliction from within the PB 6.5 development environment, but if I run
the executable and try to open the windows containing the controls the
executable is crashing and causing a Access Violation. This happens with
both the controls. 

Some Additional information: The OCX controls are created as a visual
ole user object and this ole user object is placed on a window.

If you have any ideas what is causing the application to crash, please
let me know.

Thanks, Maurice



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maurice R. van SOEST                     
soest@nc3a.nato.int

NATO C3 Agency - The Hague
THE NETHERLANDS
http://www.nc3a.nato.int
0
Maurice
10/1/1998 4:39:01 PM
sybase.ole-ocx-activex 6324 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
372 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36

Do the registry entries for the OCX's have fully qualified paths to their
files?

Carson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carson Hager                          Dynamic Data Solutions
Team Powersoft                      http://www.dyn-data.com
MS Certified Professional
chager@dyn-data.com


         ********  Are You Ready for the Web  ********
                          www.jumpstart98.com


Maurice R. van Soest wrote in message <3613B025.5AB47479@nc3a.nato.int>...
>I have build an application in Powerbuilder 6.5 that uses 2 OCX
>controls. One of them is the GanttOCX from AddSoft, the other one is
>home-made. Both OCX controls are working fine when running the
>appliction from within the PB 6.5 development environment, but if I run
>the executable and try to open the windows containing the controls the
>executable is crashing and causing a Access Violation. This happens with
>both the controls.
>
>Some Additional information: The OCX controls are created as a visual
>ole user object and this ole user object is placed on a window.
>
>If you have any ideas what is causing the application to crash, please
>let me know.
>
>Thanks, Maurice
>
>
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>Maurice R. van SOEST
>soest@nc3a.nato.int
>
>NATO C3 Agency - The Hague
>THE NETHERLANDS
>http://www.nc3a.nato.int


0
Carson
10/1/1998 11:41:29 PM
The OCX's are fully registered with their right paths.

Even more, our homemade OCX is being used in VB, VC++ and Access
applications successfully, however it's all Microsoft.

In the meantime I did some testing and have created a window on which I
put the the GanttOCX directly (without any inheritance or whatsoever).
If I now run this executable the window and OCX are opening just fine,
so the next step is to add some coding to fill the object with data.

Maurice


Carson Hager[TeamPS] wrote:
> 
> Do the registry entries for the OCX's have fully qualified paths to their
> files?
> 
> Carson
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Carson Hager                          Dynamic Data Solutions
> Team Powersoft                      http://www.dyn-data.com
> MS Certified Professional
> chager@dyn-data.com
> 
>          ********  Are You Ready for the Web  ********
>                           www.jumpstart98.com
> 
> Maurice R. van Soest wrote in message <3613B025.5AB47479@nc3a.nato.int>...
> >I have build an application in Powerbuilder 6.5 that uses 2 OCX
> >controls. One of them is the GanttOCX from AddSoft, the other one is
> >home-made. Both OCX controls are working fine when running the
> >appliction from within the PB 6.5 development environment, but if I run
> >the executable and try to open the windows containing the controls the
> >executable is crashing and causing a Access Violation. This happens with
> >both the controls.
> >
> >Some Additional information: The OCX controls are created as a visual
> >ole user object and this ole user object is placed on a window.
> >
> >If you have any ideas what is causing the application to crash, please
> >let me know.
> >
> >Thanks, Maurice
> >
> >
> >
> >~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >Maurice R. van SOEST
> >soest@nc3a.nato.int
> >
> >NATO C3 Agency - The Hague
> >THE NETHERLANDS
> >http://www.nc3a.nato.int

-- 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maurice R. van SOEST                     
soest@nc3a.nato.int

NATO C3 Agency - The Hague
THE NETHERLANDS
http://www.nc3a.nato.int
0
Maurice
10/2/1998 8:51:05 AM
--------------DF3F7C83CBEC23AA709E533B
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Maurice:
Please keep us up to date on your progress.
It's interesting that it's working without inheritance......
Is this a PCode executable or MachineCode???
There have been some hard to reproduce errors in MachineCode
executables.
We generally recommend to stick with PCode unless
you really really need the gain that MCode will give you (and
then _measure_ the gain you get to make sure the long
rebuild times are worth the trouble).

Regards,
Reed Shilts
PowerBuilder Kernel Group
***Nothing I Say Is Official***


Maurice R. van Soest wrote:

> The OCX's are fully registered with their right paths.
>
> Even more, our homemade OCX is being used in VB, VC++ and Access
> applications successfully, however it's all Microsoft.
>
> In the meantime I did some testing and have created a window on which I
> put the the GanttOCX directly (without any inheritance or whatsoever).
> If I now run this executable the window and OCX are opening just fine,
> so the next step is to add some coding to fill the object with data.
>
> Maurice
>
> Carson Hager[TeamPS] wrote:
> >
> > Do the registry entries for the OCX's have fully qualified paths to their
> > files?
> >
> > Carson
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Carson Hager                          Dynamic Data Solutions
> > Team Powersoft                      http://www.dyn-data.com
> > MS Certified Professional
> > chager@dyn-data.com
> >
> >          ********  Are You Ready for the Web  ********
> >                           www.jumpstart98.com
> >
> > Maurice R. van Soest wrote in message <3613B025.5AB47479@nc3a.nato.int>...
> > >I have build an application in Powerbuilder 6.5 that uses 2 OCX
> > >controls. One of them is the GanttOCX from AddSoft, the other one is
> > >home-made. Both OCX controls are working fine when running the
> > >appliction from within the PB 6.5 development environment, but if I run
> > >the executable and try to open the windows containing the controls the
> > >executable is crashing and causing a Access Violation. This happens with
> > >both the controls.
> > >
> > >Some Additional information: The OCX controls are created as a visual
> > >ole user object and this ole user object is placed on a window.
> > >
> > >If you have any ideas what is causing the application to crash, please
> > >let me know.
> > >
> > >Thanks, Maurice
> > >
>



--------------DF3F7C83CBEC23AA709E533B
Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

<HTML>
Maurice:
<BR>Please keep us up to date on your progress.
<BR>It's interesting that it's working without inheritance......
<BR>Is this a PCode executable or MachineCode???
<BR>There have been some hard to reproduce errors in MachineCode
<BR>executables.
<BR>We generally recommend to stick with PCode unless
<BR>you really really need the gain that MCode will give you (and
<BR>then _measure_ the gain you get to make sure the long
<BR>rebuild times are worth the trouble).

<P>Regards,
<BR>Reed Shilts
<BR>PowerBuilder Kernel Group
<BR>***Nothing I Say Is Official***
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Maurice R. van Soest wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>The OCX's are fully registered with their right paths.

<P>Even more, our homemade OCX is being used in VB, VC++ and Access
<BR>applications successfully, however it's all Microsoft.

<P>In the meantime I did some testing and have created a window on which
I
<BR>put the the GanttOCX directly (without any inheritance or whatsoever).
<BR>If I now run this executable the window and OCX are opening just fine,
<BR>so the next step is to add some coding to fill the object with data.

<P>Maurice

<P>Carson Hager[TeamPS] wrote:
<BR>>
<BR>> Do the registry entries for the OCX's have fully qualified paths
to their
<BR>> files?
<BR>>
<BR>> Carson
<BR>>
<BR>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<BR>> Carson Hager&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Dynamic Data Solutions
<BR>> Team Powersoft&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A HREF="http://www.dyn-data.com">http://www.dyn-data.com</A>
<BR>> MS Certified Professional
<BR>> chager@dyn-data.com
<BR>>
<BR>>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; ********&nbsp;
Are You Ready for the Web&nbsp; ********
<BR>>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
www.jumpstart98.com
<BR>>
<BR>> Maurice R. van Soest wrote in message &lt;3613B025.5AB47479@nc3a.nato.int>...
<BR>> >I have build an application in Powerbuilder 6.5 that uses 2 OCX
<BR>> >controls. One of them is the GanttOCX from AddSoft, the other one
is
<BR>> >home-made. Both OCX controls are working fine when running the
<BR>> >appliction from within the PB 6.5 development environment, but if
I run
<BR>> >the executable and try to open the windows containing the controls
the
<BR>> >executable is crashing and causing a Access Violation. This happens
with
<BR>> >both the controls.
<BR>> >
<BR>> >Some Additional information: The OCX controls are created as a visual
<BR>> >ole user object and this ole user object is placed on a window.
<BR>> >
<BR>> >If you have any ideas what is causing the application to crash,
please
<BR>> >let me know.
<BR>> >
<BR>> >Thanks, Maurice
<BR>> >
<BR><A HREF="http://www.nc3a.nato.int"></A>&nbsp;</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------DF3F7C83CBEC23AA709E533B--

0
Reed
10/17/1998 7:34:59 PM
Our exe is in MachineCode, because we need al the speed we can get (I
thought that was the idea of creating machinecode executables), but if
you tell me that it isn't always obvious, we might need to take a closer
look at that later. Anyhow, I have rebuilt the executable in PCode and
this seems to work much better. The initial test are looking promising.
No crashes until so far.

Thanks for your help.

Maurice van Soest.


BTW: Another thing you might be interested in: I have noticed that both
on Windows 95 and 98, PB 6.5 is less stable then on Windows NT 4.0. If I
run the same application within the development environment and opening
the windows with the OCX controls, PB 6.5 is crashing. This forced me to
upgrade a portable to Windows NT 4.0, which indeed did solve these
crashes.


Reed Shilts wrote:
> 
> Maurice:
> Please keep us up to date on your progress.
> It's interesting that it's working without inheritance......
> Is this a PCode executable or MachineCode???
> There have been some hard to reproduce errors in MachineCode
> executables.
> We generally recommend to stick with PCode unless
> you really really need the gain that MCode will give you (and
> then _measure_ the gain you get to make sure the long
> rebuild times are worth the trouble).
> 
> Regards,
> Reed Shilts
> PowerBuilder Kernel Group
> ***Nothing I Say Is Official***
> 
> 
> Maurice R. van Soest wrote:
> 
> > The OCX's are fully registered with their right paths.
> >
> > Even more, our homemade OCX is being used in VB, VC++ and Access
> > applications successfully, however it's all Microsoft.
> >
> > In the meantime I did some testing and have created a window on
> > which I
> > put the the GanttOCX directly (without any inheritance or
> > whatsoever).
> > If I now run this executable the window and OCX are opening just
> > fine,
> > so the next step is to add some coding to fill the object with data.
> >
> > Maurice
> >
> > Carson Hager[TeamPS] wrote:
> > >
> > > Do the registry entries for the OCX's have fully qualified paths
> > to their
> > > files?
> > >
> > > Carson
> > >
> > >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > > Carson Hager                          Dynamic Data Solutions
> > > Team Powersoft                      http://www.dyn-data.com
> > > MS Certified Professional
> > > chager@dyn-data.com
> > >
> > >          ********  Are You Ready for the Web  ********
> > >                           www.jumpstart98.com
> > >
> > > Maurice R. van Soest wrote in message
> > <3613B025.5AB47479@nc3a.nato.int>...
> > > >I have build an application in Powerbuilder 6.5 that uses 2 OCX
> > > >controls. One of them is the GanttOCX from AddSoft, the other one
> > is
> > > >home-made. Both OCX controls are working fine when running the
> > > >appliction from within the PB 6.5 development environment, but if
> > I run
> > > >the executable and try to open the windows containing the
> > controls the
> > > >executable is crashing and causing a Access Violation. This
> > happens with
> > > >both the controls.
> > > >
> > > >Some Additional information: The OCX controls are created as a
> > visual
> > > >ole user object and this ole user object is placed on a window.
> > > >
> > > >If you have any ideas what is causing the application to crash,
> > please
> > > >let me know.
> > > >
> > > >Thanks, Maurice
> > > >
> >
> 
> 

-- 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maurice R. van SOEST                     
soest@nc3a.nato.int

NATO C3 Agency - The Hague
THE NETHERLANDS
http://www.nc3a.nato.int
0
Maurice
11/4/1998 8:46:29 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

PB 6.5 crash with Sheridan OCX
I am using Sheridan's SSYear OCX control. It worked fine for me under PowerBuilder 5.004. But in PB 6.5 i get a GPF in PBVM60.DLL if I click between days too quickly. I've tried moving the click event's code to a user event and I've tried allocating space for the strings that the ole_calendar uses before their usage with no luck. My OLE DLLs are later than what is recommended. Any ideas? Thanks. I had (actually, I still have) problems with OCX controls and PB 6.5 executables too (see discussion: "PB 6.5 OCX Crashes in EXE") and someone recommended ...

Delphi 5 OCX and PB 6.5
Hi I have created a Delphi 5 ActiveX that manage a series of BMP images. I inserted it in PB 6.5 (using the tips posted here, i.e., getting a native pointer, etc.). It worked fine... for a while. But now I'm having a little trouble with the following description: Within the ActiveX inserted in PB 6.5: 1.- I construct an image (a BMP) for printing it. 2.- I use the delphi printer object to put a title over the image. 3.- I print it and everything is OK. The title and the image appear. 4.- Here is the trouble. I print it again and just the title appear. I don�t know why the ...

OCX and PB 8 (vs PB 6.5)
We have developped an application with PB 6.5 which included some OCX (DynaZip, Imaging and another dedicated to secure payment with visa card). It worked fine under PB 6.5 whatever the OS we were using (95, 98, Me, NT). We've migrated under PB 8.5 and now we get errors trying to access external functions of OCX. With the dynazip OCX, the behaviour is nearly correct but arguments seem to always be passed by value (and no more by reference). With the OCX dedicated to secure payment, we get error accessing external function. With the Imaging OCX, we get error accessing external func...

Call Visual Basic 6.0 exe OR OCX in PowerBuiler 6.5 Application
Hi! Friends I have application in PB 6.5; I want to add new module or functionality in one of the MDI sheet. New functionality is in VB 6.0 as an application OR OCX control. This VB application will take argument and also return number, which I want to use in PB 6.5 application. I want your ides, How I can start in PB 6.5. Note: PB application connects to Oracle using native driver and VB application connects to other Oracle database using ADO connection. Thank you. Paresh ...

OCX Web and PB 6.5
Hi PB People: We are using the OCX Web browser for view html files, and we want to send a Word document that is stored in a database to the OCX Web browser, we recovered this document with the sentence SELECTBLOB document FROM DocWord; and we stored the binary object in a BLOB variable. After, we generated a temporary Word file with the data of this variable and show it in the Web browser with the Navigate(url) sentence ole_web.Object.Navigate("C:\temp\document.doc") We want to make the same without having to generate the document temporary, directly sending the informatio...

PB 6.5 , OLAP and OCX
Hi, I want to give a drilldown functionality in the app. I am using Microsoft Horizontalflexgrid and ado. I am connecting to the ado and want to assign the recordset created to the horizontal flexgrid. There are couple of questions:- 1. How do I check whether the ADO has created a recordset or not in PB 6.5 ? 2. "ole_hflexgrid.object.rowset = nvado.recordset", this statement is giving me a error accessing external object property rowset. What am I doing wrong ? ( the full code is given below) 3. This is the strangest of all. I tried going thru the mshflx98.chm...

PB 6 and PB 6.5 crash in OS W2K Professional
Re: PB 6 and PB 6.5 crash in OS W2K Professional I notice that I need to upgrade to 6.5.1 as well as EBF 1299. However, I am only able to get 6.5.1. Where can I get the optionally patch EBF 1299? Is there any document to indicate any known problem in OS W2K for 6.0 and 6.5? Can be upgrade from 6.0 and/or 6.5 directly to 8.0? Is 8.0 support WIN XP? Regards. Thanks! ...

How to use .ocx files in pb 6.5
Hi all, I'm kinda newbie and I have to attacht this bar-code scanner to my powerbuilder application. With mscomm32.ocx this has to work, but HOW? Can anyone PLEASE!!! help me!!??! Thnx in advance, Jona jona@home.nl Open a window and then from the window toolbar select 'OLE ' from the visual components list. This will open a dialog box. Go to third tab 'Insert Control' and selected your required ocx. If its not already registered then register it by the button 'Register New' Hope it helps Suhail Sarwar ...

Internet Explorer OCX in PB 6.5
Hi all, just started testing to use OLE objects in PB 6.5 trying to build an browser using Microsoft WebBrowser Object. When doing this in Visual Basic I have no problem accessing properties or functions of this control but when trying to do the simplest task of them all in PB I'm failing on ex. "Unknown function name: navigate". When using objectBrowser looking at the objects properties/functions and so on in PB it lists the functionname "navigate". I found an example on how to work with IE in PB 7. But I don't have this version of PB thats why I'm ask...

PB 6.5 crashes building exe
Pb 6.5 crashes when buildiing exe using maching code option on a Windows 98 second edition (Spanish) 64 MB RAM machine. Any ideas? Is this a Win98 issue?. I would appreciate your help, Thanks in advance, Vladimir My suggestion: don't build a machine-code .exe. Pbd's are just as fast in almost every situation, are smaller than the corresponding .dlls, build much faster than .dlls, and are more stable than .dlls. Regards, steve [TeamSybase] Anteriormente he trabajado con PB6.5 y existe un problema al hacer un=20 ejecutable y se usan ciertos simbolos propios del e...

PB 6 and PB 6.5 crash in OS W2K Professional #2
I am currently using PB 6 and PB 6.5 with OS W2K Professional. However, I have an PB crash problem after I run a PB 6.5 application through the Powerbuilder directly. Is there a compatiblity issue for PB 6.5 Build 444 on Jun 10,1998 01:08 and PB 6.0 Nov 12,1997 23:28 in OS W2K Profession. 6.5 was never supported for W2K, although many people run it succesfully. I suggest you install 651 and optionally patch it with EBF 1299. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com...

Building exe after migration from PB 5.0.04 to PB 6.5
I have copied all my librarries ans so on to a new folder. Then, after the migration have completed, I try to build an exe from my project. I get a list of info. and obsolete messages and accepts this. The build-proces continues but after writing all the objects I get an error: 'Error writing object information'. My question is: What is the meaning with this message?? jal@kmd.dk J�rn Aabel Luckow. ...

Need help in using ocx in PB 6.5
Hi all, I'm new in using OCX in PB, so I need someone to help me. I need to do an interface to allow my PB app to call into a VB app. I created an OCX using VB. I've added a OLE object (with my OCX) to my PB app. How do I call the function inside the OCX, can someone help me? Thanks. ...

Newbie Question : OCX & pb 6.5
Hi all, I've just finish my first ActiveX Component (a simple toolbar), with vb 6.0, but it seems that I've missed something... I can "import" my ocx in pb 6.5, I can run the application etc... but... I can't call ocx's methods and properties... Here is my piece of code : ole_toolbar is my ocx....(hu... the OLE container) ole_toolbar.AddItem("Some texte for the caption of the item") or ole_toolbar.BkColor = RGB(some values...) pb doesn't recognize AddItem function and BkColor Property... Why...? thx you, Cedric Menec Try: ol...

Web resources about - PB 6.5 OCX Crashes in EXE - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

Lightning Crashes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
" Lightning Crashes " is a song by the rock band Live , from their 1994 album, Throwing Copper . The track wasn't released as a single in the ...

When New York Times website crashes, newspaper turns to Facebook Notes
When The New York Times’ website suffered some downtime Wednesday because of technical issues, the newspaper turned to Facebook Notes to post ...


Adorable Baby Crashes Daddy's Concert - YouTube
17 month old baby, Ethan ran out onstage when his dad, country singer Coffey, was performing at NYE event, started dancing, and stole the show. ...

Police warn drivers after tanker crashes at Ajman roundabout
A tanker overturned at the Al Zorah roundabout spilling oil on the busy road and causing traffic jams for about four hours.

Worst Driver of the Day: Old Man Crashes Into Everything In Piggly Wiggly Parking Lot
No, this isn’t footage from “GTA V.” A 92-year-old man named Russell Kerr pulled his minivan out of the parking lot last Friday at a Piggly Wiggly ...

Man crashes car doing burnouts allegedly twice over limit at Port Pirie - AdelaideNow Search Search
A MAN was arrested after allegedly doing burnouts while almost two times over the limit and crashing into a fence at Port Pirie.

Kangaroos cause two crashes near Bendigo
One driver swerved, the other collided with a kangaroo in separate accidents near Bendigo.

Car crashes into home in Oxley
A car has smashed into a home in Canberra's south on Thursday afternoon.

BHP leads ASX down as Slater & Gordon crashes
Australian shares suffered a weekly loss led by a slide in market heavyweight BHP and the destruction of shareholder value at Slater &amp; Gordon. ...

Resources last updated: 12/5/2015 12:35:23 AM