PB 6.0 Crashing when trying to insert an OLE Control

Has anyone ever had any experience with PB 6.0 crashing while trying to
insert an OLE control
onto a window/datawindow? I am simply creating a window and selecting OLE
object type to place on the
window. When the OLE dialog comes up ( 3 tabs: Create New, Create From File,
Insert Control ), I
select insert control. Whenever I do this, on multiple machines, PB
crashes!!

Any Ideas?

Jim Leary
jleary@pwrpros.com




0
jleary
8/12/1998 6:45:11 PM
sybase.ole-ocx-activex 6324 articles. 0 followers. Follow

15 Replies
550 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 12

same picture here....


0
Philip
8/12/1998 8:40:42 PM
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:45:11 -0400, "jleary@pwrpros.com"
<jimleary@mindspring.com> wrote:

>
>Has anyone ever had any experience with PB 6.0 crashing while trying to
>insert an OLE control
>onto a window/datawindow? I am simply creating a window and selecting OLE
>object type to place on the
>window. When the OLE dialog comes up ( 3 tabs: Create New, Create From File,
>Insert Control ), I
>select insert control. Whenever I do this, on multiple machines, PB
>crashes!!
>
>Any Ideas?

Well I've got the 6.5 latest and greatest... same situation.

Regards, Mike, PBBrowser Author
0
mniemann
8/12/1998 9:12:02 PM
This won't help you but I have no problem inserting OLE controls (I tried the
adobe acrobat, ctMeter and that stuff)

Environment
Windows NT 4.0 SP 3
PB 6.5 Build 444

Regards
Thomas

jleary@pwrpros.com wrote:

> Has anyone ever had any experience with PB 6.0 crashing while trying to
> insert an OLE control
> onto a window/datawindow? I am simply creating a window and selecting OLE
> object type to place on the
> window. When the OLE dialog comes up ( 3 tabs: Create New, Create From File,
> Insert Control ), I
> select insert control. Whenever I do this, on multiple machines, PB
> crashes!!
>
> Any Ideas?
>
> Jim Leary
> jleary@pwrpros.com



--
==========================================================
Who is user GENERAL FAILURE and why is he reading my disk?


0
Thomas
8/14/1998 7:32:32 AM
I removed the Pointcast Application from the "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
Files" folder. I believe these are programs loaded by IE4. I then made sure
that I had no other Poincast OCXs registered (I did not). Once I did this,
PB6 was healthy again.

Thanks to Jeff Olsen for the suggestion. He was the one who pointed me to
Pointcast.

Matt


jleary@pwrpros.com wrote in message ...
>
>Has anyone ever had any experience with PB 6.0 crashing while trying to
>insert an OLE control
>onto a window/datawindow? I am simply creating a window and selecting OLE
>object type to place on the
>window. When the OLE dialog comes up ( 3 tabs: Create New, Create From
File,
>Insert Control ), I
>select insert control. Whenever I do this, on multiple machines, PB
>crashes!!
>
>Any Ideas?
>
>Jim Leary
>jleary@pwrpros.com
>
>
>
>


0
Matt
8/27/1998 7:41:37 PM
On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:41:37 -0400, "Matt Kosater"
<matthew.kosater@lexis-nexis.com> wrote:

>I removed the Pointcast Application from the "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
>Files" folder. I believe these are programs loaded by IE4. I then made sure
>that I had no other Poincast OCXs registered (I did not). Once I did this,
>PB6 was healthy again.
>
>Thanks to Jeff Olsen for the suggestion. He was the one who pointed me to
>Pointcast.
Matt,

I tried to remove a pointcast ocx... but no joy. Is there an OCX
management tool for easy identification and install/remove?

Regards, Mike
0
mniemann
8/28/1998 12:57:12 AM
There is one thing I have to add to my previous blurp on this subject:
All the machines on which I've seen this behaviour(subject) have both PB5.02
and 6.0 installed on them. And the problem was manifesting itself not only
while attempting to insert an OLE control but even using PB's Object Browser
trying to browse OLE objects....
When I did an install of PB6.5 on a PC where I uninstalled PB5.02 the
problem was not present.


0
Philip
8/28/1998 3:10:21 PM
There is a thingy called OLE/COM Object Viewer which comes with guess
what....? -
MS Visual C++. You can see all the OCX's registered on your system and a lot
more useful stuff in it...


0
Philip
8/28/1998 3:25:09 PM
Mike,

This is an unhandled exception in the PB code resulting from a bad CLSID entry
in the registry. Other IDEs (like VC++) simply ignore this entry and do not add
it to the list of available OCXs. PB is different...

Look at NTREGMON (for NT4) or REGMON (for Win95) from System Internals. You can
use it to see which CLSID entry is causing the crash when PB is trying to open
it. Open you REGEDIT and delete that CLSID. You may have to do this a number of
times until you get rid of all the bad CLSIDs. 

Roy

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:57:12 GMT,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.ole-ocx-activex
Mike Niemann <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote: 
>On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:41:37 -0400, "Matt Kosater"
><matthew.kosater@lexis-nexis.com> wrote:
>
>>I removed the Pointcast Application from the "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
>>Files" folder. I believe these are programs loaded by IE4. I then made sure
>>that I had no other Poincast OCXs registered (I did not). Once I did this,
>>PB6 was healthy again.
>>
>>Thanks to Jeff Olsen for the suggestion. He was the one who pointed me to
>>Pointcast.
>Matt,
>
>I tried to remove a pointcast ocx... but no joy. Is there an OCX
>management tool for easy identification and install/remove?
>
>Regards, Mike

Roy Kiesler
Software Engineer
Logica Inc.
mailto://kieslerr@logica.com
0
Roy
8/28/1998 3:53:45 PM
This problem was fixed quite some time ago in PowerBuilder, but I guess that it was

after the PowerBuilder 6.5 codebase was frozen....
We first found it with some bogus CLSID's installed by Microsoft's VisualStudio 6
beta....
Regards,
Reed Shilts
PowerBuilder Development


Roy Kiesler wrote:

> Mike,
>
> This is an unhandled exception in the PB code resulting from a bad CLSID entry
> in the registry. Other IDEs (like VC++) simply ignore this entry and do not add
> it to the list of available OCXs. PB is different...
>
> Look at NTREGMON (for NT4) or REGMON (for Win95) from System Internals. You can
> use it to see which CLSID entry is causing the crash when PB is trying to open
> it. Open you REGEDIT and delete that CLSID. You may have to do this a number of
> times until you get rid of all the bad CLSIDs.
>
> Roy
>
> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:57:12 GMT,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.ole-ocx-activex
> Mike Niemann <mniemann@oowidgets.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:41:37 -0400, "Matt Kosater"
> ><matthew.kosater@lexis-nexis.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I removed the Pointcast Application from the "C:\WINNT\Downloaded Program
> >>Files" folder. I believe these are programs loaded by IE4. I then made sure
> >>that I had no other Poincast OCXs registered (I did not). Once I did this,
> >>PB6 was healthy again.
> >>
> >>Thanks to Jeff Olsen for the suggestion. He was the one who pointed me to
> >>Pointcast.
> >Matt,
> >
> >I tried to remove a pointcast ocx... but no joy. Is there an OCX
> >management tool for easy identification and install/remove?
> >
> >Regards, Mike
>
> Roy Kiesler
> Software Engineer
> Logica Inc.
> mailto://kieslerr@logica.com



--
------------------------------------------
Reed Shilts
Software Dude
PowerBuilder Development
mailto: Reed_dot_Shilts_at_sybase.com
*** Views expressed are my own, do not ***
*** blame either Powersoft or Sybase.  ***
------------------------------------------


0
Reed
9/9/1998 8:32:41 PM
On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 16:32:41 -0400, Reed Shilts <no_spam@sybase.com>
wrote:

>This problem was fixed quite some time ago in PowerBuilder, but I guess that it was
>after the PowerBuilder 6.5 codebase was frozen....
>We first found it with some bogus CLSID's installed by Microsoft's VisualStudio 6
>beta....

So Reed, do you guys have a little utility that can scan CLSID's,
showing which ones will make PB barf?

Regards, Mike
0
mniemann
9/10/1998 1:20:56 AM
I will be interested in that utility too :-)))
Since the strategy of using NT Registry Monitor trying to guess which CLSID
it barfed on was not very successful for me (it reported BUFFER_OVERFLOW on
30% of the CLSID's PB was trying to query)...
Regards, Philip


0
Philip
9/10/1998 3:18:10 PM
On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:18:10 -0400, "Philip Salgannik"
<psalgann@domainpharma.com> wrote:

>I will be interested in that utility too :-)))
>Since the strategy of using NT Registry Monitor trying to guess which CLSID
>it barfed on was not very successful for me (it reported BUFFER_OVERFLOW on
>30% of the CLSID's PB was trying to query)...

One, I got PB6 to work by using RegEdit to delete the Pointcase
animation ocx {GUID=8E863220... I think}.

Two, NTRegMon gives me a Blue Screen of Death, and I can't find the
authors new EMail addresses. I DL'd from
ftp://ftp.ora.com/pub/examples/windows/win95.update/registry.html#regmon
but both EMail addresses are invalid.

The BSOD says KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED whatever that means. Pro200n
with NTW4SP3, all SCSI.

Regards, Mike 
0
mniemann
9/10/1998 5:12:29 PM
Hmmmmm - that's an idea - a utility that will scan the registry for bogus CLSID's.
Possibly some weekend that will appear on our website (or maybe Ken Howe's!)
Regards,
Reed Shilts
PowerBuilder Development
***Opinions are entirely my own***

Mike Niemann wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 16:32:41 -0400, Reed Shilts <no_spam@sybase.com>
> wrote:
>
> >This problem was fixed quite some time ago in PowerBuilder, but I guess that it was
> >after the PowerBuilder 6.5 codebase was frozen....
> >We first found it with some bogus CLSID's installed by Microsoft's VisualStudio 6
> >beta....
>
> So Reed, do you guys have a little utility that can scan CLSID's,
> showing which ones will make PB barf?
>
> Regards, Mike



0
Reed
9/10/1998 7:47:30 PM
Go to http://www.sysinternals.com/
There is an About section there with emails of authors.
But before you send them a "bug" report, please download the thing from the
site and try it again :-))


0
Philip
9/10/1998 8:13:31 PM
....and my configuration is pretty similar to yours...


0
Philip
9/10/1998 8:14:39 PM
Reply: