Help Please - Using VB Active X Control In PB 6.5 App

We're attempting to include a VB Active X control in a PB 6.5
application.  We've included the necessary dll's along with it.  When
running the application in both development mode and as an executeable,
we open the application, open the window that the control is on (without
"touching" the control), exit PowerBuilder, and our application gpf's.
If running in development mode, PB gpfs when we attempt to restart it.
If we don't go into the window where the Active X control is located,
everything works fine.  The gpf we're getting appears to be a VB dll,
not a PowerBuilder dll.  Is there something here that we're missing?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Peggy Klinger
FirstEnergy Corp.
Akron, OH USA

0
Peggy

Peggy,

I would check which dll that you crash on.  Some of the Microsoft DLL�s, for
example "oleaut32.dll", have several different versions (they have different
version coming out with different Applications, and are not always backward
compatible).  If your Operating system has a different version DLL than the
one required by the Active X, you may have a problem.  Also have you
registered your OCX with Windows on the machine that you run your
application on.  you can do this from the command line with the following
command REGSVR32 <filename>.OCX.  The easiest way to register and to make
sure that you have all the right files is  to create deployment package
using VB's deployment wizard.

Peggy Klinger wrote:

> We're attempting to include a VB Active X control in a PB 6.5
> application.  We've included the necessary dll's along with it.  When
> running the application in both development mode and as an executeable,
> we open the application, open the window that the control is on (without
> "touching" the control), exit PowerBuilder, and our application gpf's.
> If running in development mode, PB gpfs when we attempt to restart it.
> If we don't go into the window where the Active X control is located,
> everything works fine.  The gpf we're getting appears to be a VB dll,
> not a PowerBuilder dll.  Is there something here that we're missing?
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
>
> Peggy Klinger
> FirstEnergy Corp.
> Akron, OH USA

0
Joseph

VB 5.0-based ActiveX control in PB 6.0 (build 189)
Has anyone had luck using a VB 5.0-generated ActiveX control into a PB 6.0 (build 189) window? Even simple VB-based ActiveX controls (e.g., a label control) choke, even when simply being placed on a window (error hex 80004005). Same problem when the window is opened from the library painter. When the window runs, I get a PB run-time error 445 (object doesn't support this action), even though my PB app makes NO calls to the ActiveX. Any ideas? thanks, nurk. -- Tom Nurkkala, PhD tom.nurkkala@powercerv.com ...

Microsoft SQL Server 6.x (PB 6.5) VS ODBC (PB 10.5) ...
Hi everybody, After migrating my application from PB 6.5 which uses Microsoft SQL Server 6.x as a DB connection and having to set up ODBC for PB 10.5 I am getting the following error: "SQLSTATE = 22005, Invalid character value for cast specification" This happen for absolutely every single dw that is created based on an Store Procedure. What could be happening? How can I fix this? Thank you, Gabriela ...

PLEASE HELP!!! PB 6.5 and ASA 6.03 SQLSTATE 37000
I have problem whitch a quote in a SQL SINTAX code data window and my programms on PB6.5 not working property, Sample code ////////////////// Working Code /////////////////////// SELECT "month"."key", "month"."name" FROM month; ////////////////// NOT Working Code /////////////////////// SELECT month.key, month.name FROM month; And what Not work in ASA 6.03 not have any problems on SQL ANYWARE 5.04. Please What I need do ? I write my Programms on PB6.5 and DATA WINDOW wizard insert atomatic code not ...

Recommendations for migrating from PB 6.5 to PB x.x
We are in the process of evaluating whether or not we should migrate our applications from PB 6.5 to PB 7.x or PB 8.x. Our application is a client server application connecting to Oracle 8.1.7 and we are using PVCS for our source code control. What are the pros and cons of moving our applications to a newer release (either 7.x or 8.x)? What version and release is recommended? Main change you will see in SCC, if you are migrating to 8.0.1. On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 12:29:49 -0400, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general <Brian_Haake> wrote: >We are in the process of ...

Oracle Client 8.1.7
Hi all, I have a question about compatibility between PB native driver and oracle sql*net for different versions of Power Builder. We have 3 applications developed in 3 different versions of Power Builder: 5.00.0.0, 6.5.1.620 and 7.0.10047 All of them are using the Oracle Client 8.1.6 and accessing via PB Native Driver to Oracle. Although this is combination is not supported, the person in charge of the PB part tested this combination and decided to upgrade the oracle client from version 7.3.X to 8.1.6. So far it is working properly for us. Now, if it is decided to move to ora...

No animation for OLE in PB 6.5, Help!
Hello everyone. I am trying to make a PB app look a lot like a web page. I am inserting an OLE object I made in ULead 3.0 GIF Animator. The OLE is a moving text, like a marquee. However, when I insert it into PowerBuilder, it does not move. Do I need to do something else, i.e. call the OLE, register a .dll or activate the OLE? Please Help. Thank You, Ryan Keenan Software Architects ...

PB 6.5.1 and ActiveX controls
I'm new to PowerBuilder and would like to know if there are known limitations in ActiveX control hosting in PB. So far we have only done some tests with Delphi. Although the control does work properly, we are experiencing problems when closing the window where the control has been inserted (an unhandled exception appears). Otherwise our control works properly in whatever container you like except PB. I'm looking for good resources about what can and cannot be done when you're implementing an ActiveX control. Our preferred method should be Visual C++ in the near future....

PB 5.0 and Active X controls
To what extent does PB 5.0 support ActiveX controls. Cresent Software sells an array of Internet related ActiveX's for VB. Is is possible to use these controls in a PB 5.0 app. My experience with ActiveX and PB has been overall very positive. As long as you're using version 5.0.03. PB's implementation of OCX support wasn't exactly stellar in the previous versions. I recommend downloading Crescent's demo, and try to do some stuff with it. HTH, Brian Simmons bsimmons@centrasoft.com Check out CPD Buster 5.0 at: http://www.centrasoft.com Clifton Mack wrot...

PB 5.0 to PB 6.5, 7.x, 8.0??
I have a client who needs to move from an initial PB 5.0 release (no patches applied) to a newer version of PB. This is a small internal application but they would like to open it up via the internet in the future. They are currently running on a SQL Anywhere DB but would be looking to change that also. I don't have any hands on experience with PB 7.x but from what I heard and read it hasn't been that great. I've been using PB 6.5 since build 444 and was thinking of recommending that they make the move to 6.5 first and then wait for PB 8.0 later this year. Any thoug...

PB 6.5 Apps Connection to MS SQL Server 6.5
We have three servers running MS SQL Server 6.5. PB 5.0 applications (both PB client apps and PB apps running on the servers at night as part of batch jobs) have been running on them for a long time. Native drivers are used. I'm starting to replace these apps with PB 6.5 versions of them. With respect to two of the servers, I can connect to the databases from all the new apps - both client PC apps and batch apps. On the third server, I can connect to the databases using the client PC apps only. When the apps in the night job run, the CONNECT statement gets the following error ...

Please help
Hi, I am still trying to get the active x control to download from our production web server to any client machines. I was able to setup the page to run in conjunction with my local web server. The control downloads, and my registry is updated so that the next time the page is opened, the active x control loads. It would be nice to see the same behavior when accessing a similar page on the network web server. I unregistered the control, then accessed the htm page on our web server. The active x control does not download! Is there something wrong with the following script? ...

OCX (visual control) creation in PB 6.5 ?
What is the way to create dynamicly an OLE Control for a visual V.B. 6.0 OCX (through PB scripting)? Why doesn't my OCX react to event pbm_keydown, ... What should be done ? Best regards, Michel Goetz mailto:michel.goetz@pandora.be ...

HELP!: PB 6.5 and the Web Browser Control...
It is possible, in any way, to use the IE web browser control OCX in PB 6.5 ? I read in a document in the Sybase site that this control doesn't behavior well in PB 6.x, because there is some control events that are not fired (beforenavigate2, for instance). I'm not pretty sure about this... If this is true, is there another way to implement web browsing features in PB 6.5? I dont want to upgrade to PB 7.x just for this reason. Could anyone give me a hint, please? I would really appreciate it. Carlos The document is correct -- the Web Browser control definitely works ...

VB-based ActiveX control in PB 6.0
Has anyone had success constructing a VB 5.0-based ActiveX control and embedding it in a PB 6.0 window? When inserting the control into the PB window, I get a run-time error number 80004005. I can insert the same ActiveX control in a VB applicatoin, and I can also construct JavaBeans, register them as ActiveX controls (jactivex), and insert them into PB 6.0. What's the deal with VB-based ActiveXs???? thanks, nurk. -- Tom Nurkkala, PhD tom.nurkkala@powercerv.com ...

PB 6.5 crashes when trying to insert an OLE control
Hi everybody, I have an app in PowerBuilder 6.5 (DBMS MS SQL Server 2000, OS: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP 2). We've created an OCX using VisualBasic. We had previously inserted it into a Custom Visual User Object without any problems. In fact, the app is working with the client normally. Time passed by... and now, we can't do it. When we Click Controls \ OLE a Insert Object window displays. We can switch between the "Create New" and "Create From File" tabs. However, when we click in the "Insert Control" tab, PB crashes. The err...

Web resources about - Help Please - Using VB Active X Control In PB 6.5 App - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

Climate change will remove birds' control over hatching eggs: study
Most birds lay just one egg a day, a process that is likely to be affected by a warming world, new research has found.

Report: Google wants to take “Apple-like” control over Nexus devices
A report from The Information (subscription required) states that Google wants to take "greater control" over the design and building of Nexus ...

Google will reportedly exert ‘Apple-like’ control over future Nexus phones
... that "Google CEO Sundar Pichai and his lieutenants have signaled to colleagues and outsiders that the company wants to take greater control ...

Zika Control Demands Anti-Mosquito Measures, Officials Say
Governments and residents of areas where Zika virus is spreading should redouble their efforts to limit exposure to mosquitoes that carry the ...

This architect quit his job to make an app that gives you back control of social media
... Aldo Cherdabayev quit his job and moved to Dublin, Ireland, to start a company. He wanted to build app called that gives you back control of ...

Study: Texas birth control fell after Planned Parenthood cut
Fewer women obtained long-acting birth control, births increased in poor families after state dropped Planned Parenthood from health program ...

Google to expand its control of Nexus
Google is reportedly trying to increase the vertical integration of the production of its Nexus Android phones.

Panel: Takata Lacks Quality Control Processes, Policies For Addressing Defects
An independent review panel hired by Takata — the company behind the ongoing recall of millions of defective, potentially dangerous, airbags ...

Air Traffic Control: Ripe For Reform
The Canadians are right — it’s time to privatize our air traffic control system.