ActiveX, OLE Automation, OLEStorage

1.) Does anyone know how to create an ActiveX control in PB 6.0 or 6.5?

2.) I have utilized OLE automation to use some functionality of Excel and
Word. Unfortunately, whenever I use the ConnectToNewObject() or
ConnectToObject() functions of an OLEObject variable, either the entire
application of Word or Excel application is opened behind the scenes. This
is the case even though I only want to use a single function within these
applications. It seems like a waste to load the entire application to get
just at simple functionality. Is it possible to open lightweight component
application of Word or Excel to get at the functionality without loading the
entire application?

3.) Has anybody used OLEStorage and could give some pointers on when and why
you would use it?

0
DONALD

Good, but it would still be better as three seperate questions.  In any event:

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998 21:23:21 -0800,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.ole-ocx-activex
DONALD E LAUSCH <DLAUSCH@prodigy.net> wrote:
>1.) Does anyone know how to create an ActiveX control in PB 6.0 or 6.5?

No.  There is a section on it in the PB Help file, but I've never done it
personally.

>2.) I have utilized OLE automation to use some functionality of Excel and
>Word. Unfortunately, whenever I use the ConnectToNewObject() or
>ConnectToObject() functions of an OLEObject variable, either the entire
>application of Word or Excel application is opened behind the scenes. This
>is the case even though I only want to use a single function within these
>applications. It seems like a waste to load the entire application to get
>just at simple functionality. Is it possible to open lightweight component
>application of Word or Excel to get at the functionality without loading the
>entire application?

That's rather the way it works with applications like Word and Excel.  FWIW,
MS does have a smaller version of Word (wordview or something like that) that
you might be able to use instead.  Better yet, what is the particular function
you want to use?  Perhaps there is another approach that doesn't require either.

>3.) Has anybody used OLEStorage and could give some pointers on when and why
>you would use it?

Either I haven't used it, or I haven't done it recently enough that I remember
much about it.

Bruce Armstrong [TeamPS]

Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. [Francis of Assisi]
http://www.harvest.org/text/knowgod.html
0
Bruce

ActiveX Controls, OLE Automation, OLEStorage
1.) Does anyone know how to create an ActiveX control in PB 6.0 or 6.5? 2.) I have utilized OLE automation to use some functionality of Excel and Word. Unfortunately, whenever I use the ConnectToNewObject() or ConnectToObject() functions of an OLEObject variable, either the entire application of Word or Excel application is opened behind the scenes. This is the case even though I only want to use a single function within these applications. It seems like a waste to load the entire application to get just at simple functionality. Is it possible to open lightweight component applicatio...

can i use pb's automation server to create an activex/ole/ocx? help me!
Please do not cross-post. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] MySybase -- http://www.sybase.com/mysybase "tadsun" <tadsun@163.com> wrote in message news:UXo0Ru7BCHA.201@forums.sybase.com... > > > ...

Welcome to the OLE-OCX-ACTIVEX newsgroup
Welcome to the OLE-OCX-ACTIVEX newsgroup. This is a forum for discussion on topics related to the usage of OLE, OCX and ACTIVEX with PowerBuilder. Feel free to post questions about the product, concerns about your development needs for enhancements and any other feedback. All posted messages will be in the public domain and may be republished on Powersoft's InfoBase CD ROM as well as on our WebSite in order to provide information that is extremely valuable to other developers. This is NOT Powersoft Technical Support and it is not the purpose of this newsgroup service to allo...

problems using OLE Automation and ActiveX in PB 6
We are writing a PowerBuilder application that can be used as OLE Runtime Automation Server. We are using PowerBuilder 6.0 beta 3. We've built a 32-bit .pbd and made it a DLL ( OLE server ) We've used PowerBuilder sample program PBGENREG.PBL to generate .reg and .tlb (type library) files. We've installed PowerBuilder deployment on Windows NT 4.0 server and tried to register it with the system using "regsvr32.exe" program. We are getting an eror message: "C:\MyOLEServer.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. DllRegisterS...

how can i use powerbuilder to develop an activex/ole/ocx? help me please!!!
Please do not cross-post. -- <hopethishelps/> Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase] MySybase -- http://www.sybase.com/mysybase "tadsun" <tadsun@163.com> wrote in message news:jIQ8Mt7BCHA.200@forums.sybase.com... > > > ...

WordPerfect: OLE automation through OLE control
OK, I connected to WordPerfect from PB6.5 by using OLEObject like: OLEObject ole_obj ole_obj= CREATE OLEobject li_rc=ole_obj.ConnectToNewObject ("WordPerfect.PerfectScript") ........ Now it accepts automation commands. But my goal is to start OLE automation through Object property of OLE control. Something like: ole_1.Activate(Offsite!) ole_obj=ole_1.Object.WordPerfect.PerfectScript ..... And that does not work though it does with Word. Does somebody know if it is possible at all to make OLE automation through OLE control and how to do that? Thanks ...

OLE Word97 and ole objects vs ole controls
--------------50D299EA9D99A20C83E801AB Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I am new to OLE automation. I'm trying to connect to a word97 document and filling forms fields with information. I'm trying to use the following code. I'm getting the following error in my log file: DateTime: 10/27/99 18:32:07 Title: System Error Message: Error Number 36. Error text = Name not found accessing external object property object. Window/Menu/Object = w_ole_test. Error Object/Control = cb_okay. Script = clicked. Line in Script = 22. ...

Deactivate OLE/ActiveX control
Hi, I ran through this problem and I hope you can help me find a solution. I have a tab control, with 3 tab pages. each page contains ole/activex --- a microsoft graph control. I set its property to ActivateonDoubleClick. So, when I doubleclick it, it is activated. When I am in page1, then I doubleclick the activex control, it becomes active. Then when I want to go to page2, I have to click twice because the first click, was to deactivate the activex, and the 2nd click is to change the tabpage selection because it seems we have to deactivate the activex first before we can do an...

OLE Word97 and ole objects vs ole controls
--------------50D299EA9D99A20C83E801AB Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I am new to OLE automation. I'm trying to connect to a word97 document and filling forms fields with information. I'm trying to use the following code. I'm getting the following error in my log file: DateTime: 10/27/99 18:32:07 Title: System Error Message: Error Number 36. Error text = Name not found accessing external object property object. Window/Menu/Object = w_ole_test. Error Object/Control = cb_okay. Script = clicked. Line in Script = 22. ...

Beginner questions regarding OLE/ActiveX
Hi Forgive my ignorance in this subject. Been wondering if with .Net there has been a replacement technology/methodology of creating OLE objects which work in the same vein as ActiveX OR is ActiveX still the recommended way of creating these objects in .Net. Also, if you program ActiveX or their .Net equivalent in VS 2005 will use of the object (If it was embedded in a webpage for example) by a client require that they HAVE to have the .net framework installed or is simply having IE 6+ enough. Are there any good sites to get started. I lack literature on the subject and want to make in r...

IE ActiveX browser OLE and Flash
After some guidance with the Internet Explorer OLE object which I've embedded in my window. I can trap HTML as a new web page is loaded by the user but I need to be able to trap data when the web page content has a flash application running. I need to trap when data is sent to and from the flash application, and hopefully, the text of the data being sent. An example flash application web page I found:- http://www.flash-db.com/Tutorials/flexguestbook/ In that page, I'd like to trap the data going to and from the server within my OLE browser window. Any ideas? ...

NTFS/OLE/ActiveX File Summary Properties
Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is ANY way to access NTFS/OLE/ActiveX file summary propeties from ASP.NET? I'm referring to the properties that you get when you right-click a file in Explorer and select the summary tab (Title, Subject, Keywords, Category, Comments, Author, etc.) I want to do this for not only Office documents, but for TXT files and PDF files (and anything else that supports summary properties. I've not been able to find ANYONE successfully do this. If anyone has any clues, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!! -- shmf I also need to know how to do this. Th...

what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX
Hi all, what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX? Do they invoke PBVM60.dll when they are called? If so how many copies of PBVM60.dll are loaded into memory? Lei XU I would try http://www.microsoft.com/com/default.asp Dean Jugar wrote in message ... >Hi all, > >what's the difference between COM and OLE and ActiveX? > >Do they invoke PBVM60.dll when they are called? If so >how many copies of PBVM60.dll are loaded into memory? > >Lei XU > > ...

OLE presentation style : access the activeX functions
I use the OLE Presentation Style on a datawindow and select a ActiveX control. I can't seem to access the ActiveX's properties/functions and I've tried various syntax like: (window postopen event) this.dw_1.object.ole_1.object.load(setting.txt) this.dw_1.object.object.load(setting.txt) this.dw_1.object.load(setting.txt) None of these are successful giving a message 'Error accessing external object' Any ideas? Have you tried using PB's "Object Browser"? It can normally introspect Com and ActiveX controls that are registered. If y...

Web resources about - ActiveX, OLE Automation, OLEStorage - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

Automation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For a hierarchical presentation of automation topics, see Outline of automation . For other uses, see Automation (disambiguation) . Automation ...

Automation World - Covering the field of industrial automation
AutomationWorld.com delivers content for the Automation Buying team, which includes Information Technology and Networking; Operations and Engineering; ...

Facebook Ads API Partner AdStage: Campaign Automation, $6.25M Series A Funding
AdStage , a Facebook ads API partner, announced Wednesday the launch of campaign automation — as well as a $6.25 million round of Series A funding. ...

Facebook PMD IgnitionOne launches self-service marketing automation
IgnitionOne , a Facebook Preferred Marketing Developer, announced Tuesday the launch of the Marketing Automation tool. A fully integrated module ...

Automation Heroes (@automationhero) on Twitter

Automation World
Automation World is your link to the why and how of manufacturing automation. The purpose of this group is to connect manufacturing engineers,... ...

Young people don't consider automation issues when choosing a career
... launched a new research study that determines that almost half (49 percent) of young people in Britain are not taking the issue of job automation ...

Meet Microbot Push, a home automation gadget lazy people will love
A South Korean startup called Naran has come up with an incredibly clever way for users to control and automate any type of switch-oriented task ...

Robots Will Change World Beyond Recognition Says BoA; Automation Will Change Jobs More Than Kill Them ...
Robot Theory The battle of robot theory is on. Bank of America paints one picture and McKinsey another. Let's investigate both theories. Automation ...

Rockwell Automation Announces Mobility Co-Innovation with Microsoft
A new mobility co-innovation project by Rockwell Automation and Microsoft Corp. will be demonstrated at Automation Fair in Chicago Nov. 18 and ...