ActiveX Control causes PB 6.0 to crash

I'm using a simple ActiveX Control to encrypt data (spDES from
www.sp-soft.com).  In VB 5.0 I have no problem and the control works great,
but PB 6.0 seems to have problems.  I place the control on a form, save the
form, and then close it; no problem.  However, when I try to run my app or
re-open the form, PB give me the following error:

The exception Integer division by zero.
(0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x02b030b1

I havn't talked with the makers of the control yet, but we have no problem
with it in VB or C++.  Other controls that I'm using in PB don't cause a
problem either.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

0
Tryz

I've got a partial answer, but maybe someone can help.  It seems that the
ActiveX control has a property called 'Key'.  In VB you can see (and edit)
this property in the property list for the control.  There are no property
pages for the control so you simply edit it in the property list.  If you
try to open a window that has the control without a value in the 'Key'
property you get an error.

(Key is a string used durring the decryption/encryption process)

The problem come in because PB 6.0 does not seem to give me a way to edit
the 'Key' value.  Since there are no property pages, I cannot use the 'OCX
Properties' button.  Unlike VB, PB does not have a property list that
handles non standard properties.  I tried putting code in the construction,
but the error occurs when the form is being loaded (even during
development).  Is there a way for me to edit an OCX Property when the
control does not support property pages?

Thanks,
Tim

0
Tryz
8/11/1999 6:43:11 PM
Would something like:
ole_object.Object.Key = "something"
help?

or ole_object.Key = "something"

Michael

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999 14:43:11 -0400,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.ole-ocx-activex
Tryz <tryz@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>I've got a partial answer, but maybe someone can help.  It seems that the
>ActiveX control has a property called 'Key'.  In VB you can see (and edit)
>this property in the property list for the control.  There are no property
>pages for the control so you simply edit it in the property list.  If you
>try to open a window that has the control without a value in the 'Key'
>property you get an error.
>
>(Key is a string used durring the decryption/encryption process)
>
>The problem come in because PB 6.0 does not seem to give me a way to edit
>the 'Key' value.  Since there are no property pages, I cannot use the 'OCX
>Properties' button.  Unlike VB, PB does not have a property list that
>handles non standard properties.  I tried putting code in the construction,
>but the error occurs when the form is being loaded (even during
>development).  Is there a way for me to edit an OCX Property when the
>control does not support property pages?
>
>Thanks,
>Tim

0
Michael
8/11/1999 8:01:11 PM
Writing ActiveX controls that function properly for PowerBuilder and Visual
Basic is tricky. There is a BIG difference between the way VB & PB host the
controls and I regularly run into problems with property settings. It takes
a lot of testing on the control writers part to get it right on both IDE's
and it looks like they skipped the PB test (not uncommon).

If you want an Encryption component that works (with everything) take a look
at EncryptX (www.innerdynamics.com)

Mike
InnerDynamics Software

Tryz <tryz@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I've got a partial answer, but maybe someone can help.  It seems that the
> ActiveX control has a property called 'Key'.  In VB you can see (and edit)
> this property in the property list for the control.  There are no property
> pages for the control so you simply edit it in the property list.  If you
> try to open a window that has the control without a value in the 'Key'
> property you get an error.
>
> (Key is a string used durring the decryption/encryption process)
>
> The problem come in because PB 6.0 does not seem to give me a way to edit
> the 'Key' value.  Since there are no property pages, I cannot use the 'OCX
> Properties' button.  Unlike VB, PB does not have a property list that
> handles non standard properties.  I tried putting code in the
construction,
> but the error occurs when the form is being loaded (even during
> development).  Is there a way for me to edit an OCX Property when the
> control does not support property pages?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim

0
Mike
8/11/1999 10:36:00 PM
You might want to add the control to a standard visual object of type
olecontrol.  It tends to work better and gives better control.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
Tryz wrote in message ...
>I'm using a simple ActiveX Control to encrypt data (spDES from
>www.sp-soft.com).  In VB 5.0 I have no problem and the control works great,
>but PB 6.0 seems to have problems.  I place the control on a form, save the
>form, and then close it; no problem.  However, when I try to run my app or
>re-open the form, PB give me the following error:
>
>The exception Integer division by zero.
>(0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x02b030b1
>
>I havn't talked with the makers of the control yet, but we have no problem
>with it in VB or C++.  Other controls that I'm using in PB don't cause a
>problem either.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any
>suggestions?
>

>Thanks,
>Tim

0
Terry
8/12/1999 6:10:54 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:10:54 -0600,
Terry Dykstra <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote:
>You might want to add the control to a standard visual object of type
>olecontrol.  It tends to work better and gives better control.
>
>--
>Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
>See you at Techwave 99:  http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave99/
>Tryz wrote in message ...
>>I'm using a simple ActiveX Control to encrypt data (spDES from
>>www.sp-soft.com).  In VB 5.0 I have no problem and the control works great,
>>but PB 6.0 seems to have problems.  I place the control on a form, save the
>>form, and then close it; no problem.  However, when I try to run my app or
>>re-open the form, PB give me the following error:
>>
>>The exception Integer division by zero.
>>(0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x02b030b1
>>
>>I havn't talked with the makers of the control yet, but we have no problem
>>with it in VB or C++.  Other controls that I'm using in PB don't cause a
>>problem either.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any
>>suggestions?
>>

>>Thanks,
>>Tim

I am getting confused,
If this is a "standard" and better method, How else do you put
an ActiveX on PowerBuilder Window?
0
Ramanath
8/14/1999 12:57:35 AM
If the control is coded properly you should be able to drop it straight onto
your window. Putting it on a VUO and then putting it onto a window is a
work-around for ActiveX controls that have problems with their OnDraw
(internal) events.

Mike

Ramanath Golam <rgolam@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:10:54 -0600,
>  in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.ole-ocx-activex
> Terry Dykstra <tdykstra@cfol.ab.ca> wrote:
> >You might want to add the control to a standard visual object of type
> >olecontrol.  It tends to work better and gives better control.
> >
> >--
> >Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> >Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> >See you at Techwave 99:  http://www.sybase.com/events/techwave99/
> >Tryz wrote in message ...
> >>I'm using a simple ActiveX Control to encrypt data (spDES from
> >>www.sp-soft.com).  In VB 5.0 I have no problem and the control works
great,
> >>but PB 6.0 seems to have problems.  I place the control on a form, save
the
> >>form, and then close it; no problem.  However, when I try to run my app
or
> >>re-open the form, PB give me the following error:
> >>
> >>The exception Integer division by zero.
> >>(0xc0000094) occured in the application at location 0x02b030b1
> >>
> >>I havn't talked with the makers of the control yet, but we have no
problem
> >>with it in VB or C++.  Other controls that I'm using in PB don't cause a
> >>problem either.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  Any
> >>suggestions?
> >>

> >>Thanks,
> >>Tim
> >>

> I am getting confused,
> If this is a "standard" and better method, How else do you put
> an ActiveX on PowerBuilder Window?

0
Mike

VB 5.0-based ActiveX control in PB 6.0 (build 189)
Has anyone had luck using a VB 5.0-generated ActiveX control into a PB 6.0 (build 189) window? Even simple VB-based ActiveX controls (e.g., a label control) choke, even when simply being placed on a window (error hex 80004005). Same problem when the window is opened from the library painter. When the window runs, I get a PB run-time error 445 (object doesn't support this action), even though my PB app makes NO calls to the ActiveX. Any ideas? thanks, nurk. -- Tom Nurkkala, PhD tom.nurkkala@powercerv.com ...

VB-based ActiveX control in PB 6.0
Has anyone had success constructing a VB 5.0-based ActiveX control and embedding it in a PB 6.0 window? When inserting the control into the PB window, I get a run-time error number 80004005. I can insert the same ActiveX control in a VB applicatoin, and I can also construct JavaBeans, register them as ActiveX controls (jactivex), and insert them into PB 6.0. What's the deal with VB-based ActiveXs???? thanks, nurk. -- Tom Nurkkala, PhD tom.nurkkala@powercerv.com ...

PB 6.0 Crashing when trying to insert an OLE Control
Has anyone ever had any experience with PB 6.0 crashing while trying to insert an OLE control onto a window/datawindow? I am simply creating a window and selecting OLE object type to place on the window. When the OLE dialog comes up ( 3 tabs: Create New, Create From File, Insert Control ), I select insert control. Whenever I do this, on multiple machines, PB crashes!! Any Ideas? Jim Leary jleary@pwrpros.com same picture here.... On Wed, 12 Aug 1998 14:45:11 -0400, "jleary@pwrpros.com" <jimleary@mindspring.com> wrote: > >Has anyone ever...

Bugs and Problems when using ActiveX ole controls in PB 6/7/8
Hello, fellows, I am trying using ActiveX controls in PB6.5, but when I want to get the properties or call the methods of the activex control, I cannot get the correct string when working in Chinese envirnment. The data type of the properties and the methods of the activex control is string. I have no such problem when the string is english. I test this in PB7 and PB8 also, I have the same problem. I know that the ActiveX control is created by VC++ and in VC++, the data type of all these properties and method of the control is "BSTR". Infact, I think, every ActiveX c...

PowerBuilder Bugs: Using VB ActiveX control (OCX) in PowerBuilder 6.0
I'm going to write some VB ActiveX control (using Microsoft VB6.0 SP3) to be used in PowerBuiler 6.5, but I found that it's very easy to crash in PowerBuilder, Here is the test case: 1) Create a very simple VB ActiveX control (only one button without any script) in Visual Basic 2) Create a PB project to open a Main Window (w_1) with an ole object of VB ActiveX control 3) Open another Window (w_2) with an ole object of VB ActiveX control (can be same as previous or other control) 4) Click the OLE object in w_2 to make it get focus 5) Close w_2 -> it will crashed If ...

word 2000 and PB7.0 as activex via ole control -- to disable the users ablitty to print outside of the pb application
Hello everyone, I have an application that needs to control the printing of customized documents. we are using word 2000 via an activex control within PB 7.02 ole control. The process works for the most of the time. However, when we disable all the toolbars/command bars the activex control does not want to return control back to pb (sometimes). A simple action of clicking on the vertical scrollbar in the activex control does release control back to the PB script to complete its processing. These docs are protected but the reason for removing the toolbars/command bars is to rem...

PB 6.0
Hello I made a simple application with same objects, without script, and there is only one window child; and I wrote a simple page html that call that Pb6 activeX application. But when I load my page I see my window child over the browser (IE4), and not in the page. Can you help me? Thanks Kleber my page-> <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>Test VBScript</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <H1>VBScript with the PowerBuilder window ActiveX</H1> <P> <OBJECT NAME="PBRX1" WIDTH=400 HEIGHT=400 CLASSID="CLSID:CEC58653-C842-11CF-...

How to use method activeX control in PB (Newbie using ActiveX)
Hi all, This is the first time I'm using activeX in my application, does anyone can helpme with these problem. How to use method in activeX because I've got example that come with the ocx file only with VB6 and I don't know how to used it with PB7. ------------ Call ActiveX_name.CopyTable(filename As String,Creator As String,SDDI_plugin_name As String, CreateFlag As Integer, VersionMajor As Integer, VersionMinor As Integer) ------------ THX -- ebr ...

ActiveX controls and PB 7.0
Has ActiveX binding (early versus late) been changed in PB 7.0, or is there a known bug? I am experiencing problems with some ActiveX components that work fine in PB 6.5. Please advise. -- Ken Halbert Contract Programmer/Analyst Colorado Department of Revenue khalbert@spike.dor.state.co.us khalbert@inteliant.com kenbh@abac.com 3039151497@airtouch.net (short text) voice 303.232.4254 x6809 fax 303.205.2962 cell 303.915.1497 Ken, Are you running both PB6.5 and 7.0 on the same machine ? I found some problems with having both on the same machine that I've reported to...

PB Windows ActiveX control crashing the Browser
I am running an Activex window control (PBRX60.ocx) with a PB application . It works OK loads and displays the data however it crashes if I refresh the web page more then once or twice. Has anyone encountered this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ido This problem has been reported and is my current task to figure out and fix. So far this seems to be Win95 only since I can't reproduce it on WinNT. You're not alone, a fix will be forthcoming. If anybody has a workaround please let us know!!!! Regards, Reed Shilts PowerBuilder Kernel Group ***Nothi...

PB Windows ActiveX control crashing the Browser
I am running an Activex window control (PBRX60.ocx) with a PB application . It works OK loads and displays the data however it crashes if I refresh the web page more then once or twice. Has anyone encountered this situation. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Ido Hi me too. if u get the solution please tell me. thanks "L. Gileadi" wrote: > I am running an Activex window control (PBRX60.ocx) with a PB > application . It works OK loads and displays the data however it crashes > if I refresh the web page more then once or twice. Has anyone > encou...

PB 6.5.1 and ActiveX controls
I'm new to PowerBuilder and would like to know if there are known limitations in ActiveX control hosting in PB. So far we have only done some tests with Delphi. Although the control does work properly, we are experiencing problems when closing the window where the control has been inserted (an unhandled exception appears). Otherwise our control works properly in whatever container you like except PB. I'm looking for good resources about what can and cannot be done when you're implementing an ActiveX control. Our preferred method should be Visual C++ in the near future....

Web resources about - ActiveX Control causes PB 6.0 to crash - sybase.ole-ocx-activex

ActiveX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... 1996 and is commonly used in its Windows operating system. In principle it is not dependent on Microsoft Windows, but in practice, most ActiveX ...

유자드 웹-무료 웹브라우저(Flash, ActiveX) on the App Store on iTunes
Get 유자드 웹-무료 웹브라우저(Flash, ActiveX) on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Activex - ARN
The source for IT industry news, views and analysis across the channel, business and technology

Microsoft warns of Video ActiveX flaw; Vista unaffected
A new vulnerability has been found in ActiveX that affects users running …

South Korea looking to scrap ActiveX payment requirement bad news for Internet Explorer
In 1999, South Korea pushed a law that forced online vendors to adopt Microsoft ActiveX, in order to utilize the SEED cipher developed by the ...

ActiveX for Windows - Free downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com
The most downloaded ActiveX software, including Audio Capture ActiveX Control, VB Activex Controls (HVEE 2008), and Innobate Product Key Recovery ...

Microsoft offers patches to ward off ActiveX attacks
In rare out-of-cycle security update, Microsoft fixes hole that put IE users at risk of attacks via ActiveX and other controls. Read this article ...

RIM releases patch for buggy ActiveX control
Research In Motion has patched a piece of software for Windows PCs that could leave them vulnerable to attack when loading new applications onto ...

IE's new ActiveX vulnerability: drive-by exploiting msvidctl.dll
IE has a new ActiveX vulnerability, now being exploited by drive-by downloads: in msvidctl.dll. In IT Blogwatch, bloggers unpick fact from fiction. ...

Activex Articles on Engadget
Activex articles, stories, news and information.