Performance tuning

Hi,

We are using Jconnect 6.0.5 (latest EBF). We found that
'select db_name' was getting called before each and every
sql update/insert.

We are not sure why it is doing this. We need to prevent
this unnecessary db call. Does any one have any idea

Thanks
Lachu
0
lakshmanan
5/14/2010 2:39:28 PM
sybase.jconnect 798 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Lachu,

This sounds like some JDBC Call might be happening in your application -
offheand I don't
know exactly what, but something like Connection.getCatalog()

I don't think jConnect caches this sort of thing - so it might be the
application code makes the call for each command execution.
If you can turn that off, it'll probably go away.

If it's something else, can you post a sample of code that replicates the
problem?

Thank you,

-Paul

<lakshmanan.ramakrishnan@gs.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We are using Jconnect 6.0.5 (latest EBF). We found that
> 'select db_name' was getting called before each and every
> sql update/insert.
>
> We are not sure why it is doing this. We need to prevent
> this unnecessary db call. Does any one have any idea
>
> Thanks
> Lachu

0
Paul
5/19/2010 6:42:24 PM
You could also look in to one of the SQL caching frameworks.  If you set
up the cache to automatically intercept this call and return cached
results the query would execute in machine time (and not network time,
which is several orders of magnitude slower).

Take a look at these potential options:
http://java-source.net/open-source/cache-solutions

Also, if you are using Hibernate, take a look at the documentation for
information on caching statements.

Cheers,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan Baker
Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN)

http://www.sybase.com/developer
bakerj@sybase.com
0
Jonathan

Performance and Tuning
I have a pb application running on sybase db. It is very slow. We used PFC for developing the application. I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of the application. Any ideas are greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.. Leo Leo, From my experience, performance problem mostly due to inefficient SQL statement. Check which SQL statement caused the problem and then tune that SQL. Hope this can help. Leo <Spamoff_Leo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bn7hXf#LAHA.260@forums.sybase.com... > I have a pb application running on sybase db...

Performance Tuning
 (If this is the wrong forum, please advise and I'll repost).I have developed a web site, www.nzgdb.co.nz, using Visual Web Designer 2005 (Express).  It has a large genealogy database (SQL Server 2005), and runs on a new dual-core processor server with 2GB of memory, using SBS 2003 (SP 2).   There are no other applications or web sites running on this server.My design is supposed to be optimized for the two critical activities, page GDB1 which searches the GDB (genealogy database) according to various criteria to return a list of records, and page GDB2 which is invoke...

Tuning / performance
Hi all, Ok I have now released Bugzilla as our system bugtracking tool, and all is going well. I am running on Win XP virtual server Bugzilla v 2.22 My SQL 5.0.24a-community-nt Apache 2.2.3 But I seem to be hitting some issues. Sometimes users enter requests and they take a long time to respond. (30 secs plus) and their browser (IE and Firefox) returns a page cannot be displayed. I am currently running the default configuration for MySQL and Apache on windows. The bug change/addition is actually stored ok, but the system does not seem to be responding efficiently. ...

Tuning Performance
We intalled a Sybase IQ 12.5 on a HP-UX, we have a IQ database of 255 GB, some of the querys are very slow, please, what are the main aspects that we have to look for to get a better performance ??. Thanks. Jorge main things (imho): indexes, optimization of memory usage, iqtc 60% of memory. The rest need to see more info about your tables, indexes, query plan, type of querys, HW etc <Jorge del Mar> wrote in message news:416ae5e2.6071.1681692777@sybase.com... > We intalled a Sybase IQ 12.5 on a HP-UX, we have a IQ > database of 255 GB, some of the querys are very ...

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

Performance Tuning
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080804050908060708060306 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 32-bit ASE 12.5 Solaris 8 1) I am running a number of stored procedures ... and have a few problems with the performance. It uses a few temporary tables. The stored procedure calls other stored procedures in a loop. By calling getdate() before and after each stored procedure call ... there was really nothing much that the sps ... do ..... almost everything completes execution in less than second. ...

jConnect Performance
Hi , we are fairly new users of jconnect and Java and are having performance problems with a simple application . The application reads approx. 500 rows from a Sysbase table and then displays these to a screen . If the SQL is run via SQL Advantage then the response is less than 1 sec , when run via JDBC then it takes upto 20 secs to run . The basic construct of the program is :- 1. Obtain Sysbase Connection 2. Generate a Prepared Statement 3. Execute Query 4. Data Retrieved from the result set (using getobject / get string / getint etc ) and a loop to read through the ...

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

Performance of insert through jconnect
--------------BDBC79A28C0694C1494856D6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have multiple questions on ASA. First of all I use ASA7.0.2build1500 on Sun Sparc Solaris 8 and the server seems to crash frequently. 1. How do I move the transaction log to a different directory (after the database is created)? The command in dbisql Alter dbspace translog rename '/tmp/mytrans.log' comes back with the error: ASA Error -138: Dbspace 'TRANSLOG' not found. 2. How do I move one of the DBSpaces to a different directory? My data...

Performance tuning on sles
we are running sles10 sp2 on vmware esx 3. we are now trying to improve performance on sles servers. so how we can tune the performance. I found some on google like disable unused services, automate vmware tools install and upgrades. if there is any other things we mght need to consider. Thanks. -- s_novell ------------------------------------------------------------------------ For 32-bit installs, use the VMI kernel. Generally everything else is usually work load dependent. What's the server going to be doing? we have all 64bit servers, some of are webservers ...

Mobilink Performance Tuning
I have a replicating setup using mobilink that I'm trying to increase performance on. There are currently 35 remotes replicating to 1 HQ. In my test there have been no changes to either the remote or consolidated. Since the remote uses the log file the upload only takes 1 or 2 seconds. The download however is taking 5-10 min. On the remote in mobilink I see the message "Waiting for MobiLink to apply upload", this is my sticking point. With -v+ logging I can see the consolidated going through all 200+ tables and displaying a message for each column "Column #4:...

Performance Tuning #2
I am trying to do some performance tuning to our SQL Anywhere version 10.0.1.3685 x86 windows. I have tried to run the application profiling against our development database and against my local database with no luck. I change mode to application profiling and choose Performance of your database application and check ignore queries that take less than 1 sec, push next. I get to save analysis to the the following file and put a path to a file that doesn't exist yet. I then click next and get creating tracing database, it says its unloading stuff and has the progress bar going ...

Performance Tuning #2
Dear All, Need advice!!! I had attended ASE Performance Tuning course, knew all the sysmon report and update statistic, DOL,optdiag, sp_configure, locks,etc!! BUT, after i come back to my office, i have no idea where to begin. I mean, what shall do to the server? Gather statistics by running the sp_sysmon/sp_monitor/optdiag???? How? Please any advice. Our server had never do any statistic gethering or performance tuning. I will spenind time on our development server before proceed to live server. I really appreciate your help!!! thanks in advance!! On 30 Sep 2003 03:37:21...

Web resources about - Performance tuning - sybase.jconnect

Jada Pinkett Smith Bares It All in See-Through Dress for Will Smith's Latin GRAMMYs Performance – See ...
Jada Pinkett Smith Bares It All in See-Through Dress for Will Smith's Latin GRAMMYs Performance – See the Pics!

Supercomputing Trends: Performance Lags, China Rises, Cray Gains
While the overall performance of systems continues to increase, that growth continues to slow. We look at these and other supercomputing trends. ...

AMD’s new Radeon Crimson software crushes Catalyst, boosts performance
AMD has launched a complete overhaul of its driver stack today, with new performance boosting features, per-game overclocking, shader cache support, ...

American Music Awards 2015: Five Seconds Of Summer's 'Wall-Shaking' Performance One To Watch
The American Music Awards promises some big performances for its 2015 show, but only Five Seconds of Summer promises to "make the walls shake" ...

Latin Grammys gets political as Will Smith returns to stage in epic performance
Latin Grammys gets political as Will Smith returns to stage in epic performance

DOE Announces a High Performance Computing Fortran Compiler Agreement
... (NNSA) and its three national labs this week announced they have reached an agreement for an open-source Fortran front-end for Higher Performance ...

Miranda Lambert Felt For Gwen Stefani During ‘Used To Love You’ AMA Performance
... with Miranda Lambert’s ex-husband, Blake Shelton, the country singer was reportedly impressed with Stefani’s American Music Awards performance ...

Audi Painted Their Top Performance Cars In Super '70s Soviet-Style Wonder
Imagine your dream 1970s Soviet vacation to the beach, and this would be your color palate: leaving your grey apartment block outside Bucharest ...

Be Mesmerized by Joseph Gordon Levitt's 'Rhythm Nation' Performance
Joseph Gordon-Levitt recently paid tribute to Janet Jackson on Lip Sync Battle and it may be the best performance the show has seen so far. Gordon-Levitt ...