Calling overloaded functions from Web PB

Hi,

I'm calling overloaded functions from WebPB and getting the error "multiple
versions of method exist." I have an ancestor object that has one string
argument for the function. The descendent object has the same function with
two string arguments. I plan on overloading this function again in later
descendants with different numbers of arguments. I know that WebPB can't
match the number of arguments to the function, but I was hoping it would
use the descendant function.

What kind of overloading/overriding does Web PB support? Overriding
(defining the same function with the same number/type of args in a
descendant) seems to be ok but overloading (defining the same function with
different arg number/types in same object or descendant) doesn't seem to
work.

Is this right? The more I think on it, it seems right. Guess I have to
redesign my object framework...

Let me know if there's a workaround...

Stephanie Giovannini
sgiovann@dayton.anteon.com

0
Stephanie
10/8/1997 8:02:54 PM
sybase.inet-dev-toolkit 730 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Wed, 08 Oct 1997 16:02:54 -0400, "Stephanie Giovannini"
<sgiovann@dayton.anteon.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm calling overloaded functions from WebPB and getting the error "multiple
>versions of method exist." I have an ancestor object that has one string
>argument for the function. The descendent object has the same function with
>two string arguments. I plan on overloading this function again in later
>descendants with different numbers of arguments. I know that WebPB can't
>match the number of arguments to the function, but I was hoping it would
>use the descendant function.
>
>What kind of overloading/overriding does Web PB support? Overriding
>(defining the same function with the same number/type of args in a
>descendant) seems to be ok but overloading (defining the same function with
>different arg number/types in same object or descendant) doesn't seem to
>work.
>
>Is this right? The more I think on it, it seems right. Guess I have to
>redesign my object framework...
>
>Let me know if there's a workaround...
>
>Stephanie Giovannini
>sgiovann@dayton.anteon.com

Sephanie,
The reason for this is Web.PB automatically passes additional
arguments to your Web.PB functions. If you add the parameters they are
passed in. To get around this, you can add an argument to function of
a different datatype, say a numeric, to the argument list. I don't
think this is what you were looking for, though.

HTH
Jon Credit[TeamPS]
CLM Concepts
JCredit@Sprynet.com
71371.1675@Compuserve.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/jcredit

0
JCredit

PB 11.5.1 (4011)
Hello Everyone, I am getting a strange error when calling a C# Web Service in PB 11.5.1 (4011). System.OutOfMemoryException When my application starts, I do the following: application global variable n_uploaded_files gnv_uploaded_files open event of application gnv_uploaded_files = CREATE n_uploaded_files n_uploaded_files instance variable s2010_upload_web_service iproxy_webservice SoapConnection iSOAP_connection constructor event of n_uploaded_files isoap_connection = CREATE SoapConnection of_instantiateservice(iproxy_webservice, "s201...

Calling function in web.pb window
Hi I have a PowerBuilder window witch I use in a program called InTouch On my window i have a function (of_test) witch takes a string as argument. From VisuslBasic i can call the function like this: 'start of code Dim args(1) Dim numarg Dim thefunc args(0) = "Test of function" thefunc = "of_test" numarg = 1 PBRX1.InvokePBFunction thefunc, numarg, args ' end of code This is taken from example in "Using the PowerBuilder internet tools" page 131 and works great My problem is that InTouch doesn't support arrays. Is there a...

Web.pb repeatedly calling a function?
Has anyone else noticed web.pb calling a function more than once when it was not supposed to? The HTML specifies a GET, not a POST but we are getting the same function called 2x, 2 seconds apart. We are still using PB 5.0.2 on a WIN95 box. This is causing some serious problems.. any ideas? Julie Kirk Applied Creative Technologies, Inc jlkirk@actinc.org Is the function returning a BLOB result. Web.PB has special rules for functions that return BLOBs. In essence it calls repeatedly until it gets a NULL blob. This allows you to send binary data in chunks. Dave Julie Le...

Why does Web.PB keep calling function that return blobs until the return is null?
Does anybody know a good reason why Web.PB keeps calling a blob returning function until the function returns (null)? I can see how this might be a convienence in some situations but if I designed Web.PB, I wouldn't have thought to do this. The f_retrieve_picture in u_web_examples has a comment that reads: /* Web.pb functions with a blob datatype will be called repeatedly until a Null blob is returned. This is to allow you the ability to stream the amount of data sent back with each request. Once your function has completed its output, return...

Function from a PB dll called from Word or PB
Hi, I have a PBL made with Powerbuilder 5.03 32 bits in which i've defined a Function f-GetData() .( That's a function which is taken some data from a Host DB) I've made a DLL with it and i would call this function from a Word makro. I've seen that this funtion f-GetData is defined with another name in the DLL ( Seen with QuickView ). So i've defined my External Funtion Call with this Name in my Word Makro: But Word told me that it couldn't load this library. So I tried to call this funtion from Powerbuilder, defining this function as External. POwer builder s...

Calling a function from a PB DLL from Word or PB !!
Hi, I have a PBL made with Powerbuilder 5.03 32 bits in which i've defined a Function f-GetData() .( That's a function which reads some data from a Host DB and show them in a Dialog Box) I've made a DLL with it and i would like to call this function from a Word makro. I've seen that this funtion f-GetData is defined with another name in the DLL ( Seen with QuickView: _getVtableInfo_f_GetData ). So i've defined my External Funtion Call with this Name in my Word Makro: But Word told me that it couldn't load this library... So I tried to call this funtion from Po...

PB Functions -> Javascript: Call for functions
For some time now I have found myself translating PowerBuilder functions to equivalent Javascript functions for use in browsers. Collecting these in Javascript Libraries makes it fairly straightforward to use a lot of PB scripts directly in browser windows. I would welcome anyone else's contribution to this library, which is publicly available. Here's are some Javascript equivalents to PB functions: (NB: Javascript is case sensitive). I have kept to PowerBuilder coding conventions (local variable names l.., arguments a.., library variables i..., etc) If these function are ...

Class Library function call to web app function.
Hi all, I'm converting all the .vb files inside our App_Code folder into a Class Library. However, there are files that we want to leave in the App_Code folder.My question is, in my Class Library, there's a function that I would like to call a function, which is stored in vb file in the App_Code folder. the Class Library is a seperate project and it's referenced to the web application project. for example: a function in the App_Code folder from the web project calls a function the Class Library: ClassName.FunctionName()now: How do you do the other way around? Can you do it at...

Calling PB Functions From Java, PB to Java Conversion
I was wondering if there is a way to call PB functions from Java on a Windows platform. Especially the datawindow/datawindow control related functions and events (like modify and describe). I would also like to know if there are any Java libraries available that provide PB equivalent functionality that can be used to convert PB to Java. Thanks in advance. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Interesting. I'll think about that. J -- Jonathan Baker eBusiness Division Sybase, Inc. "Tim O...

PB to Java Conversion, Calling PB Functions from Java
Sorry for the cross-post, but I was not sure which group to post to for these kinds of questions. I was wondering if there is a way to call PB functions from Java on a Windows platform. Especially the datawindow/datawindow control related functions and events (like modify and describe). I would also like to know if there are any Java libraries available that provide PB equivalent functionality that can be used to convert PB to Java. Thanks in advance. ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp Tim Sybase has a produc...

Web.PB Wizard says No Web Enabled Functions
Many of my functions which are working Web.PB/DPB functions cannot be processed by the Web.PB Wizard. It either only shows a subset of them or returns a message saying the PBL does not contain any web enabled functions when in fact it does. This appeared to still be the case in an early Beta of 6.0. Is this known bug or I'm doing something to confuse the Wizard? Other's have seen this but no one has offered a solution. Any ideas would be appreciated. Don Draper CCS Consulting, Inc. ddraper@consultccs.com Don Draper wrote: > > Many of my functions which ...

Web.PB Wizard Says "No Web Enabled Functions"?
Many of my functions which are working Web.PB/DPB functions cannot be processed by the Web.PB Wizard. It either only shows a subset of them or returns a message saying the PBL does not contain any web enabled functions when in fact it does. This appeared to still be the case in an early Beta of 6.0. Is this known bug or I'm doing something to confuse the Wizard? Other's have seen this but no one has offered a solution. Any ideas would be appreciated. Don Draper ddraper@consultccs.com ...

PB7 : extrenal function call (pgm PB <- Dll PB)
--------------1D922B7623F9BD07FE7CA71B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit It's easy, i call a external function in my PB program, execution failed : PB70 caused an invalid page fault in module PBVM70.DLL at 0157:112cb763. My external declaration : SUBROUTINE f_display_message() LIBRARY "K:\mydll.dll" ALIAS FOR "_getVtableInfo_f_display_message@12" My call in an application open event : this.f_display_message() My external function (in an other application / pbl) name : f_display_message Parms : (none) ...

calling more than one web service in a batch and have diffrent call back function!
is it possible to call more than one webservice in a batch? any example?   Please provide! No, there is no built in support for batching. Hope that helps,-Hao Is that really necessary? Remember you can make several simultaneous asyncnronous calls, why would you want to batch them? +++ Rick ---Rick StrahlWest Wind TechnologiesMaking waves on the Web www.west-wind.com/weblog...

Web resources about - Calling overloaded functions from Web PB - sybase.inet-dev-toolkit

All sizes - Holiday Fire Safety - Overloaded electrical outlet - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Struggle of the Day: Overloaded Tuk Tuk Can’t Quite Make It Up Hill
This is the story of the little engine that couldn’t. A tuk tuk (automatic rickshaw) was carrying a bit too much wood to make it up a hill, and ...

Driver fined $800 for overloaded trailer in Scoresby
... east has been caught towing a huge number of household items, including the kitchen sink. The 43-year-old man was spotted towing an overloaded ...

Headband can tell when brain is overloaded
A NEW headband may be able to tell you when your brain is on mental overload and offload some of your work to another person.

Chopper overloaded before Sydney couple died
A helicopter that crashed into New York’s East River, killing a Sydney couple and another family member celebrating a 40th birthday, has been ...

iOS 9 download problems not due to overloaded delivery networks
The early download glitch users encountered in grabbing iOS 9 this week was not due to an overload on Apple's content delivery network.

EMS workers overloaded with mental health, addictions calls
Paramedics in Thunder Bay are responding to 80 per cent more calls than they did a decade ago and they say mental health problems and substance ...

Families of ferry's lost confront SKorea officials; signs that ship was heavily overloaded - CTV News ...
Angry relatives of some of the more than 120 people still missing from the sinking of the ferry Sewol surrounded the fisheries minister and the ...

Overloaded trucks at fault for bridge collapse
... Harbin authorities said on Wednesday that overloading caused the collapse of a bridge that killed three and injured five on Aug 24. Four overloaded ...

Overloaded van crashes in Yunnan, 5 students die - People's Daily Online
Fivejuniorhighschoolstudentsandtwoadultsridinginanoverloadedvanwerekilledaftertheve