To use Naming Service...or not to use Naming Service?

That is my question.

I want to use clustering and load balancing on my jag servers, so I'm not
sure if I need to do this or if the connection object handles this "behind
the scenes".

In PB does the connection object use the nameservice to do this for you, or
do you have to use the JaguarORB.Resolve_Initial_References(), and narrow
everything down to the component to take advantage of this?  What is "the
best way" to instantiate Jag components in PB if you want clustering,
fail-over, and load balancing?

Thanks for any help.

Erik T.

0
Erik
6/25/2001 2:51:47 PM
sybase.easerver.powerbuilder 3902 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The connection object will use the name service. I would say you only need
to use jaguarORB if you want to create the component on a given server in
the cluster. That is you want the component created on server 'A'.

--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.

"Erik Toft" <erik_toft@globalcrossing.com> wrote in message
> That is my question.
>
> I want to use clustering and load balancing on my jag servers, so I'm not
> sure if I need to do this or if the connection object handles this "behind
> the scenes".
>
> In PB does the connection object use the nameservice to do this for you,
or
> do you have to use the JaguarORB.Resolve_Initial_References(), and narrow
> everything down to the component to take advantage of this?  What is "the
> best way" to instantiate Jag components in PB if you want clustering,
> fail-over, and load balancing?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Erik T.

0
Dean
6/25/2001 3:03:47 PM
Just initialise the conenction object with your name servers before
calling connectToServer().

The location string should be a semi-colon separated list of server
locations (e.g. "iiop://A:9000;iiop://B:9000")

All you need to do then is call connection.createinstance() from the PB
client.

A.

--
__________________________

Adam Simmonds [TeamSybase]
System Architect
ITS FLEXSIS PROJECT
The University of Sydney
Phone:  +61 2 9351 5174
Mobile: +61 403 341 474
Fax:    +61 2 9351 7711
0
Adam
6/25/2001 3:14:22 PM
Thanks to both Dean and Adam.

I just wanted to be sure...I am re-writing a desktop application from java
(PowerJ) to PB.  So, since you have to use the Naming facilities when using
Java, I did not know if the same held for PB.

BTW the PB version of the app. took much less time to write, is much more
stable, and much faster than the PowerJ equivalent.  We thought the java
DataWindow was going to be great...our experience proved us wrong.  We have
ongoing memory leak problems...and we are pretty sure that we have narrowed
it down to the DW.  We have opened issues, and updated to the latest
software to no avail.  Moving back to PB on the client was our only
recourse...and a welcome one for me...long live PB!

Please NOTE that the java DataStore seems to be OK, and we are continuing
with our existing java Jaguar components.  We have good results with PB on
the client, and java on the server.  To the folks who want PB and Jaguar,
but want Linux for the Jaguar server, you may want to look into this
solution.  I am going to re-post this info for folks not interested in this
thread, but may like to know this.

Erik T.

"Erik Toft" <erik_toft@globalcrossing.com> wrote in message
> That is my question.
>
> I want to use clustering and load balancing on my jag servers, so I'm not
> sure if I need to do this or if the connection object handles this "behind
> the scenes".
>
> In PB does the connection object use the nameservice to do this for you,
or
> do you have to use the JaguarORB.Resolve_Initial_References(), and narrow
> everything down to the component to take advantage of this?  What is "the
> best way" to instantiate Jag components in PB if you want clustering,
> fail-over, and load balancing?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Erik T.

0
Erik
6/25/2001 3:47:48 PM
Erik,
Thanks for the info, I can use this to convince our project decision
makers that leaving the client PB is the way to go ( especially with the
skill level in PB/PFC ) and then if needed move PB server components to
Java.

>>long live PB!
Thanks for the positive attitude... PB has been getting a hammering
lately ;-)

A.

--
__________________________

Adam Simmonds [TeamSybase]
System Architect
ITS FLEXSIS PROJECT
The University of Sydney
Phone:  +61 2 9351 5174
Mobile: +61 403 341 474
Fax:    +61 2 9351 7711
0
Adam
6/25/2001 3:49:32 PM
I'll tell you what.  I tried to like java.  I have tried really hard to.
But I just can't.  I'm not saying that it is a bad language, but it sure
doesn't meet up to the hype.  If I want or need to write code the hard way
(grin) I will go with MFC and C or C++.  Java's lack of performance erases
any gains made in ease of use or ease of learning (actually there aren't
many).  PowerJ has been problematic in and of itself, and that just added to
my frusteration.  We decided on PowerJ to get the Jaguar integration, and
the DataWindow tech. so that we could leverage a bit of what we have learned
in PB over the years...it paid off a bit, but then we ran in to some serious
memory growth (aka leaks) when using the java DW.

We are trying to build applications...not applets.  These apps are monitor
applications that may need to be up and working for many hours...even days
without failing...all the time filling with data which is appended to the
bottom rows of a datawindow which scrolls bottom to top <-- yes that *was* a
trick in java!  The java datawindow would just chew through the heap till it
depleated it, and then start whining about being out of memory.  Sure we
understand that, so we begin to monitor the number of rows in the DW, and
discard the oldest...guess what?  No change.  It did not matter what we did
to discard the data, call the GC, destroy references, etc. the memory was
not freeing up.  As we experimented we dwindled our test app down to just a
datawindow and some controls to initiate actions on our jag components.
After just a few fetches, we can cause memory errors to scroll up the
console window...the official answer...increase your virtual memory which
was already set to 600MB.  We gave up and re-built in PB.

Though the app is not complete yet, we are seeing much better performance in
memory and a very niticable increase in response times...especially on calls
to jag components.

We are not throwing the baby out with the bath water yet.  In an odd twist
of fate, it seems that the PowerJ datastore does not suffer from the same
memory afflictions as does the DW...at least not that we can see.  We have a
very stable datastore based service component running in Jaguar that is
constantly retrieving and dumping data...no mem leak there.  Saves us a good
cunk of work...WHEW!

I'm only relating our observations and experience, but maybe this will give
you more to go to your boss with, and/or research on your own.  Good luck.

Erik T.

"Adam Simmonds [TeamSybase]" <asimmond@mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
> [...]
this
> > thread, but may like to know this.
> >
> > Erik T.
> >
> > "Erik Toft" <erik_toft@globalcrossing.com> wrote in message
> > > That is my question.
> > >
> > > I want to use clustering and load balancing on my jag servers, so I'm
not
> > > sure if I need to do this or if the connection object handles this
"behind
> > > the scenes".
> > >
> > > In PB does the connection object use the nameservice to do this for
you,
> > or
> > > do you have to use the JaguarORB.Resolve_Initial_References(), and
narrow
> > > everything down to the component to take advantage of this?  What is
"the
> > > best way" to instantiate Jag components in PB if you want clustering,

0
Erik
6/25/2001 6:35:55 PM
>>I'm only relating our observations and experience, but maybe this will give
>>you more to go to your boss with, and/or research on your own.  Good luck.
From my knowledge you are the first to step up and say this about Java and
PowerJ in particular so it makes my ranting and raving about not going Java
justifed ( at least in the present climate! ) I hope with the exception handling
in PB ( and maybe some more enhancements ) that PB may well be the best way to
go and just use java/powerj for the nonvisual tasks on the server if required.
A.

--
__________________________

Adam Simmonds [TeamSybase]
System Architect
ITS FLEXSIS PROJECT
The University of Sydney
Phone:  +61 2 9351 5174
Mobile: +61 403 341 474
Fax:    +61 2 9351 7711

0
Adam

Using Naming Service in EAServer
I have two EAServer X and Y. I want to configure EAServer X to be the name server and contains all name space infomation including both EAServer X and Y. But I don't want to create cluster in these EAServer. Can I do that? I read the "Jaguar CTS System Administration Guide" and it said I can configure my EAServer to use another EAServer as its name server. How? If I want to use PowerDynamo connecting to name server, how do I write the script? I can't find any lookup method, or I can just use java.CreateComponent()? You can do this, its just kinda a long manual p...

Can the Jaguar naming service be used to store other name value pairs?
Can the Jaguar naming service be used to store other name value pairs? If so, do you have an example or can you give the particulars. I would especially like to know if I can use the JNDI methods to look up and set my own name/value pairs. Eventually I would like to use this with JDBC to do a JNDI look up of hosts. Thanks. Alan, You can do this through the use of environment properties for your EJBs and WARs. You can then look up the name value pairs using JNDI. -- Steve Finck Corporate Technology Partners www.ctpartners.com Join The Team - hr@ctpartners.com -- "...

To use or not to use (web services / EAServer)
We (TSD) are developing client/server applications with PB for many years now (starting with PB 3.x). Now we are using PB 8.03 with ASA 8.02. In our PB applications we do have some business objects in seperate libraries. They consist of a datastore with a lot of functions. Functions do sometimes call visible objects. The last few years we see that users are more and more asking for Internet and PDA solutions. To prevent double source codes we like to have the same objects/functions for the 'old' client/server information and for the internet and PDA solutions. In our opi...

Naming Service using IOR
We are currently using the following code to get the Object reference from the client. However we would like to use the alternative wherein you can specify the Naming context of the component and the Naming server will route the request to the appropriate server. Here is what I am currently using: private static SessionManager.Session getFromJaguar() { try { Properties props = new Properties(); props.put("org.omg.CORBA.ORBClass", "com.sybase.CORBA.ORB"); org.omg.CORBA.ORB orb = org.omg.CORBA.ORB....

How do I use dbname as web service name?
The following command seems to work fine: CREATE SERVICE dbname TYPE 'RAW' AUTHORIZATION OFF USER DBA AS CALL p ( :a, :b ); but when the database is started thusly: "%SQLANY10%\win32\dbsrv10.exe" -n servername -x tcpip -xs http ddd10.db -n dbname the following URL gives 404 not found: http://localhost/dbname Interestingly, CREATE SERVICE servername also works, AND the following URL works ok: http://localhost/servername ===== This may sound like a stupid thing to do, but WHY do I have to invent different names for different things when th...

Get Windows service name using SQL?
(version 12.0.0.2566) I have an engine running as a service under Windows. I would like to be able to get the name of this service by connecting to the engine and using SQL. I was hoping that there would be an engine property that would return this but I can't find one. From observation I know that the command line used by the engine when running as service is of the form 'dbsrv12.exe -hv<ServiceName>' so I thought I might be able to extract the name having obtained the command line using "select value from sa_eng_properties() where propname ...

NT Service Dependencies Names used in CreateService
Is there is a list of this with the double null terminated strings with their user friendly names? Can't seem to find it anywhere. --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com Colin wrote: > Is there is a list of this with the double null terminated strings > with their user friendly names? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I do not understand what you are asking for. Please clearify. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) Ok, so lets say I have an app that does an FTP to a server periodically. And this i...

NT Service Dependencies Names used in CreateService
Is there is a list of this with the double null terminated strings with their user friendly names? Can't seem to find it anywhere. --- This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active. http://www.avast.com Colin wrote: > Is there is a list of this with the double null terminated strings > with their user friendly names? Can't seem to find it anywhere. I do not understand what you are asking for. Please clearify. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) Ok, so lets say I have an app that does an FTP to a server periodically. And this i...

How to use a full column name (table name and column name) with a DataReader
Hi, I have a problem retrieving the data with a DataReader from a stored proc that performs a join of two table with the same column's names but different data. Let me explain with an example: I have two tables: Table1: Id, Name Table2: Id, Name, IdTable1 The sproc is something like this: CREATE PROCEDURE [dbo].[SearchByName] (@Name nvarchar(40)) AS BEGIN SELECT * FROM dbo.Table1, dbo.Table2 WHERE Table1.Id = Table2.IdTable1 AND Table1.Name LIKE '%' + @Name + '%' END And my c# code is something like this: Database db = Databas...

Separating a Full name into a First name & Last name using substring
I am trying to take a textbox that allows a full name to be entered, and then split out the name into a First Name and Last Name. I assume that I use a substring, but how? Hi, You can use the split function to divide a string based a character, ie: Dim fullname() as string = textbox1.Text.Split(" ") Dim firstname as string = fullname(0) Dim lastname as string = fullname(1) Any doubt, post your comment.Segundo Serrano P.Ing. Sistemashttp://www.4workgroup.com/Blog: http://dotnet-peru.blogspot.com That worked perfectly for a textbox.  How do I split out a string that com...

To use or not to use pfc filter service...
Is it a preferred standard to use the pfc filtering service if you are just doing a basic filter and don't use any dialog for adhoc filtering? My code filters rows, interrogates those rows and then undoes the filter, all with redraw off, so the user never suspects a thing. What does the pfc filter service give me in this scenario? Here is my code using traditional powerbuilder filtering: long ll_Needs[] string ls_Filter This.dw_needs.of_SetFilter( TRUE ) //Gather the needs the user has selected to be printed. If ab_AllNeeds, get all needs if Not ab_AllNeeds then ls_F...

When should you use web services and when should you use ObjectDataSource?
I am unclear as to when it would make sense to encapsulate your database queries in a web service and when you would choose to use an ObjectDataSource control? I have an app that uses a web page to display data from an sql server 2005 database. Up until now I have been using an SqlDatasource with in-line sql queries. This is very direct and clear interms of binding and dta column names and feeding parameters into the datasource queries. However, in my attempts to align with larger scale implementations I thought it was sensible to consider web services and data access layers. However, I am...

using reporting services web service
I would like to know how to create a new report by using the web service. I saw the list of the methods, but I still don't understand what is important to start creating. There is no example that shows exactly how to write it. Thanks alot ....

Synchronous use of a web service is useful?
I was curious if a web service adds any value when its called 'synchronously' from an ASP.Net application. Both the web service and ASP.Net application are within an enterprise's internal network and on separate web servers. I would think the web service would add no value, but  instead lower the performance in above scenario. True or false?sun21170 Yes.I agree with you. It seems that the only time when a 'synchronous' web service would provide value is when one or both of the following features are needed:n-tier architecture needs to implemented. n-tier developm...

Web resources about - To use Naming Service...or not to use Naming Service? - sybase.easerver.powerbuilder

Public Broadcasting Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... such as PBS NewsHour , Masterpiece , and Frontline . Since the mid-2000s, Roper polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service ...

Car crashes into BP service station in Belfield, causing major gas leak - DailyTelegraph Search Search ...
THE family petrol station owners almost killed by an out-of-control car say a “saint was watching over” them.

Chinese consumer demand set to drive services economy
Despite the market turmoil Chinese consumer demand is holding up well and that will help Australia.

WhatsApp drops annual 99¢ fee , vows service will remain ad-free
(credit: Warner Bros.) Facebook's lip-service 69p ($1) annual subscription fee for its WhatsApp messaging service has been dropped by the company. ...

listen to Jarvis Cocker's all-Bowie tribute edition of "Sunday Service" BBC radio show
... Yavin) Jarvis Cocker had already paid tribute to the late David Bowie but, unsurprisingly, dedicated the entirety of this week's "Sunday Service" ...

Uber is going to use Airbus helicopters for its on-demand sky-taxi service
... Sundance project, adding that Uber has partnered with Air Resources, a Utah-based operator of H125 helicopters, in order to deliver the service. ...

Uber, Airbus team up for service
Uber has found a partner for its on-demand services in Airbus.

Netflix Laughs Off NBC’s Obsession With Streaming Service’s Ratings
... TV “has been remarkably negative in terms of the quality of shows.” Another reason why ratings may be a pointless metric for streaming services: ...

Judd Apatow Says ‘Freaks and Geeks’ Revival “Could Happen” For Streaming Service – TCA
While appearing at TCA this morning to talk about his new original series Love, one TV critic noted Netflix also likes to revive older TV franchises, ...

Verizon Tests Net Neutrality With 'FreeBee' Zero Rating Service -
... on "zero rating," or the controversial practice of exempting some data from customer usage caps. Verizon's new " FreeBee " sponsored data service ...