Is every Powerbuilder client using 2 server sessions?

Is it true that each powerbuilder client is using two sessions on EAS,
or is it something else that is causing this in our app (PB8/9 EAS4.2.2)?

TIA
Aggelos
0
Aggelos
2/10/2004 5:08:29 PM
sybase.easerver.powerbuilder 3902 articles. 0 followers. Follow

how many iiop listeners do you have on EAServer?... it's possible two
connections are being opened because there are two distinct listener
profiles serving up your components.

On 10 Feb 2004 09:08:29 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
<angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>Is it true that each powerbuilder client is using two sessions on EAS,
>or is it something else that is causing this in our app (PB8/9 EAS4.2.2)?
>
>TIA
>Aggelos

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
2/10/2004 9:57:24 PM
Jim,
No localhost listener, just one iiop listener at ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}
port 9000. That are also the iiops listeners but I suppose there are not
part of the equation. So I can assume that it's not a normal behavior,
that maybe something is wrong with client? Is it possible to trace this
using iiop logging on the server or client side? BTW, EAS5 behaves in
exactly the same way.

Thanks
A.

Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> how many iiop listeners do you have on EAServer?... it's possible two
> connections are being opened because there are two distinct listener
> profiles serving up your components.
>
> On 10 Feb 2004 09:08:29 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Is it true that each powerbuilder client is using two sessions on EAS,
>>or is it something else that is causing this in our app (PB8/9 EAS4.2.2)?
>>
>>TIA
>>Aggelos
>

> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA
0
Aggelos
2/11/2004 9:28:06 AM
yes you can trace the IIOP traffic on the server and the client.  The
server has a property called com.sybase.jaguar.server.log.iiop (or
something close to that).  For the client, you set the environment
variable JAG_LOG_IIOP (or something close to that).. these variables
should be covered in the EAServer manuals.  I'm not sure that will
completely help but if you see what requests are going over those
connections, it might.

This is an executable, right?  In the development environment, I
wouldn't be surprised to see you having two sessions.  One established
when you deploy components and another when you run your app in the
IDE.

I recall this behavior from the past as well, but I don't think it's
normal, so at the very least we should be able to explain why it
happens.

On 11 Feb 2004 01:28:06 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
<angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>Jim,
>No localhost listener, just one iiop listener at ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}
>port 9000. That are also the iiops listeners but I suppose there are not
>part of the equation. So I can assume that it's not a normal behavior,
>that maybe something is wrong with client? Is it possible to trace this
>using iiop logging on the server or client side? BTW, EAS5 behaves in
>exactly the same way.
>
>Thanks
>A.
>

>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>> how many iiop listeners do you have on EAServer?... it's possible two
>> connections are being opened because there are two distinct listener
>> profiles serving up your components.
>>
>> On 10 Feb 2004 09:08:29 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
>> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>>

>>>Is it true that each powerbuilder client is using two sessions on EAS,
>>>or is it something else that is causing this in our app (PB8/9 EAS4.2.2)?
>>>
>>>TIA
>>>Aggelos
>>

>> Jim O'Neil
>> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> Sybase, Inc.
>> Concord, MA

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
2/11/2004 1:48:39 PM
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> yes you can trace the IIOP traffic on the server and the client.  The
> server has a property called com.sybase.jaguar.server.log.iiop (or
> something close to that).  For the client, you set the environment
> variable JAG_LOG_IIOP (or something close to that).. these variables
> should be covered in the EAServer manuals.  I'm not sure that will
> completely help but if you see what requests are going over those
> connections, it might.
Yes I' ve used the logging on the client to troubleshoot failover and
character set problems in the past, but in this case I don't really know
what to look for, anyway, I' ll give it a try.

> This is an executable, right?  In the development environment, I
> wouldn't be surprised to see you having two sessions.  One established
> when you deploy components and another when you run your app in the
> IDE.
Yes Jim, it's an executable, I' m aware of the problem with IDE which is
not releasing the session after we stop the running app, but rather only
when we exit the PB IDE.

Thanks
Aggelos

> I recall this behavior from the past as well, but I don't think it's
> normal, so at the very least we should be able to explain why it
> happens.

> On 11 Feb 2004 01:28:06 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Jim,
>>No localhost listener, just one iiop listener at ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}
>>port 9000. That are also the iiops listeners but I suppose there are not
>>part of the equation. So I can assume that it's not a normal behavior,
>>that maybe something is wrong with client? Is it possible to trace this
>>using iiop logging on the server or client side? BTW, EAS5 behaves in
>>exactly the same way.
>>
>>Thanks
>>A.
>>

>>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>how many iiop listeners do you have on EAServer?... it's possible two
>>>connections are being opened because there are two distinct listener
>>>profiles serving up your components.

>>>Jim O'Neil
>>>Principal Technical Support Engineer
>>>Sybase, Inc.
>>>Concord, MA
>

> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA
0
Aggelos
2/11/2004 2:21:49 PM
It seems that a session is created when we execute

ConnectToServer()

and another one when we create a component instance

inv_connection.createInstance(...)

All other component instantiations do not increase the sessions used.

Unfortunately I cannot see anything obvious in the iiop log which
implies that a new session is created.

Any ideas?

TIA
Aggelos

Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> yes you can trace the IIOP traffic on the server and the client.  The
> server has a property called com.sybase.jaguar.server.log.iiop (or
> something close to that).  For the client, you set the environment
> variable JAG_LOG_IIOP (or something close to that).. these variables
> should be covered in the EAServer manuals.  I'm not sure that will
> completely help but if you see what requests are going over those
> connections, it might.
>
> This is an executable, right?  In the development environment, I
> wouldn't be surprised to see you having two sessions.  One established
> when you deploy components and another when you run your app in the
> IDE.
>
> I recall this behavior from the past as well, but I don't think it's
> normal, so at the very least we should be able to explain why it
> happens.
>
> On 11 Feb 2004 01:28:06 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Jim,
>>No localhost listener, just one iiop listener at ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}
>>port 9000. That are also the iiops listeners but I suppose there are not
>>part of the equation. So I can assume that it's not a normal behavior,
>>that maybe something is wrong with client? Is it possible to trace this
>>using iiop logging on the server or client side? BTW, EAS5 behaves in
>>exactly the same way.
>>
>>Thanks
>>A.
>>

>>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>how many iiop listeners do you have on EAServer?... it's possible two
>>>connections are being opened because there are two distinct listener
>>>profiles serving up your components.

>>>Jim O'Neil
>>>Principal Technical Support Engineer
>>>Sybase, Inc.
>>>Concord, MA
>

> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA
0
Aggelos
2/16/2004 8:42:24 AM
That sounds like you're connecting to the server with a different name than
is in your listener.  For example, connecting to the server using the IP
address but having the listener bound to a name that happens to map to that
IP address.

Carson

________________________________

Carson Hager
Cynergy Systems, Inc.
http://www.cynergysystems.com

Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0

T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
> That sounds like you're connecting to the server with a different name than
> is in your listener.  For example, connecting to the server using the IP
> address but having the listener bound to a name that happens to map to that
> IP address.
Carson,

The listener's host is defined as ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}, lets say mapping
to name AGILE (fragment from jaguar.log):

Feb 16 15:02:47 2004: Listener #  6: Jaguar_iiop: Active: yes  Protocol:
'IIOP': 'AGILE',9000 Security Profile: '*NONE*'

My host init string for PB connection object is iiop://AGILE:9000

Using these settings, I get 2 sessions created

After reading your note, I turned the listener to ip addresses, so that
no name resolving takes place and now I get only one session created!

What the heck is going on?

Regards,

Aggelos

> Carson
>
> ________________________________
>
> Carson Hager
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>
> Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
>

> "Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message
>
>>It seems that a session is created when we execute
>>
>>ConnectToServer()
>>
>>and another one when we create a component instance
>>
>>inv_connection.createInstance(...)
>>
>>All other component instantiations do not increase the sessions used.
>>
>>Unfortunately I cannot see anything obvious in the iiop log which
>>implies that a new session is created.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>TIA
>>Aggelos
>>
>>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>yes you can trace the IIOP traffic on the server and the client.  The
>>>server has a property called com.sybase.jaguar.server.log.iiop (or
>>>something close to that).  For the client, you set the environment
>>>variable JAG_LOG_IIOP (or something close to that).. these variables
>>>should be covered in the EAServer manuals.  I'm not sure that will
>>>completely help but if you see what requests are going over those
>>>connections, it might.
>>>
>>>This is an executable, right?  In the development environment, I
>>>wouldn't be surprised to see you having two sessions.  One established
>>>when you deploy components and another when you run your app in the
>>>IDE.
>>>
>>>I recall this behavior from the past as well, but I don't think it's
>>>normal, so at the very least we should be able to explain why it
>>>happens.

> EAS4.2.2)?

>>>Jim O'Neil
>>>Principal Technical Support Engineer
>>>Sybase, Inc.
>>>Concord, MA

0
Aggelos
2/16/2004 1:32:09 PM
That's very bizarre.  I would have expected one session with your
configuration.

________________________________

> T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
> > That sounds like you're connecting to the server with a different name
than
> > is in your listener.  For example, connecting to the server using the IP
> > address but having the listener bound to a name that happens to map to
that
> > IP address.
> Carson,
>
> The listener's host is defined as ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}, lets say mapping
> to name AGILE (fragment from jaguar.log):
>
> Feb 16 15:02:47 2004: Listener #  6: Jaguar_iiop: Active: yes  Protocol:
> 'IIOP': 'AGILE',9000 Security Profile: '*NONE*'
>
> My host init string for PB connection object is iiop://AGILE:9000
>
> Using these settings, I get 2 sessions created
>
> After reading your note, I turned the listener to ip addresses, so that
> no name resolving takes place and now I get only one session created!
>
> What the heck is going on?
>
> Regards,
>
> Aggelos
>

> > Carson
> >
> > ________________________________
> >
> > Carson Hager
> > Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> > http://www.cynergysystems.com
> >
> > Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
> >

> > "Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>It seems that a session is created when we execute
> >>
> >>ConnectToServer()
> >>
> >>and another one when we create a component instance
> >>
> >>inv_connection.createInstance(...)
> >>
> >>All other component instantiations do not increase the sessions used.
> >>
> >>Unfortunately I cannot see anything obvious in the iiop log which
> >>implies that a new session is created.
> >>
> >>Any ideas?
> >>
> >>TIA
> >>Aggelos

EAS,

> > EAS4.2.2)?

I suspect that this is the reason we cannot make the ORBsocketReuseLimit
setting to work properly. If we set it to a value other than 0, we get
pretty soon error 50 when we try to instantiate a component on the pb
clients. Or do you think it's irrelevant.

A.

T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
> That's very bizarre.  I would have expected one session with your
> configuration.

> ________________________________
>
> Carson Hager
> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>
> Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
>

> "Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message
>
>>T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>That sounds like you're connecting to the server with a different name
>
> than
>
>>>is in your listener.  For example, connecting to the server using the IP
>>>address but having the listener bound to a name that happens to map to
>
> that
>
>>>IP address.
>>
>>Carson,
>>
>>The listener's host is defined as ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}, lets say mapping
>>to name AGILE (fragment from jaguar.log):
>>
>>Feb 16 15:02:47 2004: Listener #  6: Jaguar_iiop: Active: yes  Protocol:
>>'IIOP': 'AGILE',9000 Security Profile: '*NONE*'
>>
>>My host init string for PB connection object is iiop://AGILE:9000
>>
>>Using these settings, I get 2 sessions created
>>
>>After reading your note, I turned the listener to ip addresses, so that
>>no name resolving takes place and now I get only one session created!
>>
>>What the heck is going on?
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Aggelos
>>

>>>Carson
>>>
>>>________________________________
>>>
>>>Carson Hager
>>>Cynergy Systems, Inc.
>>>http://www.cynergysystems.com
>>>
>>>Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
>>>

>>>"Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message

> not

> this

> EAS,

>>>EAS4.2.2)?

0
Aggelos
2/16/2004 4:20:55 PM
Can you open a support case on this?  Through some IIOP tracing on the
server and the client, we can see what IOR profiles are getting
returned from the server.  As Carson indicated, I too would expect one
session since there should only ever be one profile
(iiop://AGILE:9000) to which your component instances are being bound.

On 16 Feb 2004 08:20:55 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
<angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>I suspect that this is the reason we cannot make the ORBsocketReuseLimit
>setting to work properly. If we set it to a value other than 0, we get
>pretty soon error 50 when we try to instantiate a component on the pb
>clients. Or do you think it's irrelevant.
>
>A.
>
>T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
>> That's very bizarre.  I would have expected one session with your
>> configuration.

>> ________________________________
>>
>> Carson Hager
>> Cynergy Systems, Inc.
>> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>>
>> Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
>>

>> "Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message

>> than

>> that

>>>Carson,
>>>
>>>The listener's host is defined as ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}, lets say mapping
>>>to name AGILE (fragment from jaguar.log):
>>>
>>>Feb 16 15:02:47 2004: Listener #  6: Jaguar_iiop: Active: yes  Protocol:
>>>'IIOP': 'AGILE',9000 Security Profile: '*NONE*'
>>>
>>>My host init string for PB connection object is iiop://AGILE:9000
>>>
>>>Using these settings, I get 2 sessions created
>>>
>>>After reading your note, I turned the listener to ip addresses, so that
>>>no name resolving takes place and now I get only one session created!
>>>
>>>What the heck is going on?
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>
>>>Aggelos

>> not

>> this

>> EAS,

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
2/16/2004 5:03:34 PM
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> Can you open a support case on this?  Through some IIOP tracing on the
> server and the client, we can see what IOR profiles are getting
> returned from the server.  As Carson indicated, I too would expect one
> session since there should only ever be one profile
> (iiop://AGILE:9000) to which your component instances are being bound.

Thank you Jim,

so eventually we'll have to go the support route. I was hoping to be
something obvious that we do wrong here :-)

A.

> On 16 Feb 2004 08:20:55 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>I suspect that this is the reason we cannot make the ORBsocketReuseLimit
>>setting to work properly. If we set it to a value other than 0, we get
>>pretty soon error 50 when we try to instantiate a component on the pb
>>clients. Or do you think it's irrelevant.
>>
>>A.
>>
>>T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>That's very bizarre.  I would have expected one session with your
>>>configuration.

>>>________________________________
>>>
>>>Carson Hager
>>>Cynergy Systems, Inc.
>>>http://www.cynergysystems.com
>>>
>>>Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
>>>

>>>"Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message

>>>than

>>>that

>>>not

>>>this

>>>EAS,

> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA
0
Aggelos
2/16/2004 6:10:53 PM
I detected a slight air of resignation in your note regarding "going
the support route."  If you aren't making progress through support,
send me an e-mail, but we are here to help you <BG>

On 16 Feb 2004 10:10:53 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
<angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>> Can you open a support case on this?  Through some IIOP tracing on the
>> server and the client, we can see what IOR profiles are getting
>> returned from the server.  As Carson indicated, I too would expect one
>> session since there should only ever be one profile
>> (iiop://AGILE:9000) to which your component instances are being bound.
>
>Thank you Jim,
>
>so eventually we'll have to go the support route. I was hoping to be
>something obvious that we do wrong here :-)
>
>A.
>

>> On 16 Feb 2004 08:20:55 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
>> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>>

>>>I suspect that this is the reason we cannot make the ORBsocketReuseLimit
>>>setting to work properly. If we set it to a value other than 0, we get
>>>pretty soon error 50 when we try to instantiate a component on the pb
>>>clients. Or do you think it's irrelevant.
>>>
>>>A.

>> Jim O'Neil
>> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> Sybase, Inc.
>> Concord, MA

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
2/16/2004 6:34:41 PM
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:

> Can you open a support case on this?  Through some IIOP tracing on the
> server and the client, we can see what IOR profiles are getting
> returned from the server.  As Carson indicated, I too would expect one
> session since there should only ever be one profile
> (iiop://AGILE:9000) to which your component instances are being bound.

I'm beginning to see some light, now. I believe, as you pointed out,
there must be some issue with ior profiles returned to the client.
Through iiop tracing we' ve seen references to 'agile' and 'AGILE' !!!
So, although the server listeners are in uppercase the naming service
returns lowered case profiles. By changing the listener host name from
${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME} to agile we now get 1 session. That's why the
listener with the direct ip host name worked in the first place (as long
as we don't have another listener resolving to the same ip, gotcha!)

I suppose the behavior to lowercase the host name is not by design so it
deserves to open a case, what do you think?

So now we can move forward and see why the ORBsocketReuseLimit doesn't
work for us.

Thanks for the hint,
A.

> On 16 Feb 2004 08:20:55 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>I suspect that this is the reason we cannot make the ORBsocketReuseLimit
>>setting to work properly. If we set it to a value other than 0, we get
>>pretty soon error 50 when we try to instantiate a component on the pb
>>clients. Or do you think it's irrelevant.
>>
>>A.
>>
>>T. Carson Hager [Team Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>That's very bizarre.  I would have expected one session with your
>>>configuration.

>>>________________________________
>>>
>>>Carson Hager
>>>Cynergy Systems, Inc.
>>>http://www.cynergysystems.com
>>>
>>>Take PowerBuilder Applications to the Web Today with Cynergy EAF 3.0
>>>

>>>"Aggelos Paraskevopoulos" <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote in message

>>>than

>>>that

>>>not

>>>this

>>>EAS,

> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA
0
Aggelos
2/16/2004 6:37:05 PM
Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:

> I detected a slight air of resignation in your note regarding "going
> the support route."  If you aren't making progress through support,
> send me an e-mail, but we are here to help you <BG>

You are right about the 'slight'. So far my experiences were not that
satisfying. We had to wait for a month the other time to get a fix for
the heap manager issue in 4.2.2. And some time ago we didn't go far with
the failover issues we had, so eventually we had to abandon the idea of
using it. Anyway we' ll have to give it a try once more ...

Maybe you spoil us with the great support we get from the newsgroup?

Thanks again.
A.

> On 16 Feb 2004 10:10:53 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
>

>>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>>
>>>Can you open a support case on this?  Through some IIOP tracing on the
>>>server and the client, we can see what IOR profiles are getting
>>>returned from the server.  As Carson indicated, I too would expect one
>>>session since there should only ever be one profile
>>>(iiop://AGILE:9000) to which your component instances are being bound.
>>
>>Thank you Jim,
>>
>>so eventually we'll have to go the support route. I was hoping to be
>>something obvious that we do wrong here :-)
>>
>>A.

>>>Jim O'Neil
>>>Principal Technical Support Engineer
>>>Sybase, Inc.
>>>Concord, MA
>

> Jim O'Neil
> Principal Technical Support Engineer
> Sybase, Inc.
> Concord, MA
0
Aggelos
2/16/2004 6:53:36 PM
This is not that surprising. :)  DNS is not case sensitive so I would call
this a bug.

Carson

________________________________

> Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>
> > Can you open a support case on this?  Through some IIOP tracing on the
> > server and the client, we can see what IOR profiles are getting
> > returned from the server.  As Carson indicated, I too would expect one
> > session since there should only ever be one profile
> > (iiop://AGILE:9000) to which your component instances are being bound.
>
> I'm beginning to see some light, now. I believe, as you pointed out,
> there must be some issue with ior profiles returned to the client.
> Through iiop tracing we' ve seen references to 'agile' and 'AGILE' !!!
> So, although the server listeners are in uppercase the naming service
> returns lowered case profiles. By changing the listener host name from
> ${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME} to agile we now get 1 session. That's why the
> listener with the direct ip host name worked in the first place (as long
> as we don't have another listener resolving to the same ip, gotcha!)
>
> I suppose the behavior to lowercase the host name is not by design so it
> deserves to open a case, what do you think?
>
> So now we can move forward and see why the ORBsocketReuseLimit doesn't
> work for us.
>
> Thanks for the hint,
> A.
>

> > On 16 Feb 2004 08:20:55 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
> > <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:
> >

> >>I suspect that this is the reason we cannot make the ORBsocketReuseLimit
> >>setting to work properly. If we set it to a value other than 0, we get
> >>pretty soon error 50 when we try to instantiate a component on the pb
> >>clients. Or do you think it's irrelevant.
> >>
> >>A.

IP

Protocol:

The

${JAGUAR_HOST_NAME}

> > Jim O'Neil
> > Principal Technical Support Engineer
> > Sybase, Inc.
> > Concord, MA

Sorry to hear of your experiences.  To be honest, getting a patch is
often out of support's hands since it gets passed to engineering which
has it's own set of priorities and deadlines.  If, however, you feel
you are not getting adequate support via Sybase, please escalate the
issue via the support engineer or manager.  With limited resources, it
is often true that the squeakly wheel gets the grease.

By the way, good catch with the case-sensitivity.  It definitely
sounds like a bug to me, and the scenario makes perfect sense (as many
do once we know the cause!).

On 16 Feb 2004 10:53:36 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
<angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>
>> I detected a slight air of resignation in your note regarding "going
>> the support route."  If you aren't making progress through support,
>> send me an e-mail, but we are here to help you <BG>
>
>You are right about the 'slight'. So far my experiences were not that
>satisfying. We had to wait for a month the other time to get a fix for
>the heap manager issue in 4.2.2. And some time ago we didn't go far with
>the failover issues we had, so eventually we had to abandon the idea of
>using it. Anyway we' ll have to give it a try once more ...
>
>Maybe you spoil us with the great support we get from the newsgroup?
>
>Thanks again.
>A.
>

>> On 16 Feb 2004 10:10:53 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
>> <angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>>>Thank you Jim,
>>>
>>>so eventually we'll have to go the support route. I was hoping to be
>>>something obvious that we do wrong here :-)
>>>
>>>A.

>> Jim O'Neil
>> Principal Technical Support Engineer
>> Sybase, Inc.
>> Concord, MA

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil
2/16/2004 9:25:59 PM
Jim,

is it possible for you to open a case on this one?

A.

Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> Sorry to hear of your experiences.  To be honest, getting a patch is
> often out of support's hands since it gets passed to engineering which
> has it's own set of priorities and deadlines.  If, however, you feel
> you are not getting adequate support via Sybase, please escalate the
> issue via the support engineer or manager.  With limited resources, it
> is often true that the squeakly wheel gets the grease.
>
> By the way, good catch with the case-sensitivity.  It definitely
> sounds like a bug to me, and the scenario makes perfect sense (as many
> do once we know the cause!).

0
Aggelos
2/26/2004 8:29:34 AM
go ahead and open one via CaseXpress and e-mail me the case number.

On 26 Feb 2004 00:29:34 -0800, Aggelos Paraskevopoulos
<angel_NO_SPAM@acm.org> wrote:

>Jim,
>
>is it possible for you to open a case on this one?
>
>A.
>
>Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
>> Sorry to hear of your experiences.  To be honest, getting a patch is
>> often out of support's hands since it gets passed to engineering which
>> has it's own set of priorities and deadlines.  If, however, you feel
>> you are not getting adequate support via Sybase, please escalate the
>> issue via the support engineer or manager.  With limited resources, it
>> is often true that the squeakly wheel gets the grease.
>>
>> By the way, good catch with the case-sensitivity.  It definitely
>> sounds like a bug to me, and the scenario makes perfect sense (as many
>> do once we know the cause!).

Jim O'Neil
Principal Technical Support Engineer
Sybase, Inc.
Concord, MA
0
joneil

How to configure both server and client with using EAServer and PowerBuilder?
Hi, If I am using PowerBuilder version 8.0.3 Build 9704 & EAServer version 3.6.1 Build 36108, how can I configure both the server and client setting so that I can use web-site to access the database for reporting purpose. Thanks! ...

EA-Server 6.2 to PowerBuilder 11.2 EJB client update #2
I've been working off and on for the last couple of months in the attempt to create a model EA-Server 6.2 application that can return a PowerBuilder NVO and be used from PowerBuilder EA-Server clients, PowerBuilder EJB clients, generic EJB clients, and generic SOAP clients. As documented in previous threds that I started back in April, I was unable to get either of the PowerBuilder client models to successfully work with the returned NVO. My local Sybase branch connected me informally with a couple of folks from Sybase China and long story short, I was told to hang on unt...

Unable to use SQL Server because ASP.NET version 2.0 Session State is not installed on the SQL server. Please install ASP.NET Session State SQL Server version 2.0 or above.
Can anybody point me in the direction of how to resolve this error, Unable to use SQL Server because ASP.NET version 2.0 Session State is not installed on the SQL server. Please install ASP.NET Session State SQL Server version 2.0 or above. I am running Visusl Studio 2005, SQL Server 2005 Standard, running on WIndows XP Pro. I am trying to use SQL for session state management. I originally ran the following code from the command line prompt, aspnet_regsql.exe -E -ssadd -sstype p This created an ASPState database. I then manually added my default ASP.NET login as a user. In my web.confi...

EA-Server 6.2 to PowerBuilder 11.2 EJB client update
I've been working off and on for the last couple of months in the attempt to create a model EA-Server 6.2 application that can return a PowerBuilder NVO and be used from PowerBuilder EA-Server clients, PowerBuilder EJB clients, generic EJB clients, and generic SOAP clients. As documented in previous threds that I started back in April, I was unable to get either of the PowerBuilder client models to successfully work with the returned NVO. My local Sybase branch connected me informally with a couple of folks from Sybase China and long story short, I was told to hang on unt...

How to Use SSL in Powerbuilder Client for EAServer?
I want to Use SSL in Powerbuilder Client for EAServer,But after Read Sybase'documents,I still can't find a clear steps,I need a simply clear Steps,SOS,Who can Help me? -- Qianhaiyuan (Mr.) Gotop System Mobile:13307113338 Phone:027-87561071-238 eMail: qianhy@egotop.com MSN: qianhy2@hotmail.com Pseudo/actual code with minimal error handling icn_jaguar.location = 'iiops://my_server_address:9001' //get ssl service provider ll_rc = getcontextservice( "SSLServiceProvider", l_sslsp ) if ll_rc <> 1 then error // Set the QOP ll_rc = l_s...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Unable to use session state server....requires session state server version 2.0 or above.
So, I have Windows 2003 IIS latest service packs running. Its running .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 applications in seperate application pools. Just today I applied the following patch to the server. (The server is not running any 3.0 or 3.5 applications or application pools)  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86 Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 is a full cumulative update that contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0, 3.5, and includes cumulative servicing upda...

when will PowerBuilder supply other Application server except EAServer ,MTS? #2
when will PowerBuilder supply other Application server except EAServer ,MTS? such as websphere... PowerBuilder 9.0 features a new C++ interface named PBNI (same basic idea as JNI) -- it allows an external C++ process (.exe or .dll) to load the PBVM into memory, instantiate non-visual objects and invoke their methods. This interface will allow application server vendors who wish to support the PowerBuilder component model to create an infrastructure for doing so. If the application server does not support C++ components, they may use a JNI->PBNI->PowerBuilder bridge (I don't...

PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder
PowerBuilder, connecting to MS SQL Server using MSS native driver: A field which is defined as a varchar (450) is truncated to 255 characters in PowerBuilder I am using Power Builder 7.0 with SQL Server 2000 Database. I created a datawindow using a varchar(450) field. It is allowing me enter and save 450 characters but when I retrieved the data it is truncating it to 255 chars. I looked in the database all 450 characters are there. Why it is truncating the data on retrieve? Please help me out if anybody knows the solution Thanks in advance because the native interface (Micr...

PowerBuilder compatibilites with EAServer 4.2.2 Linux
Release Bulletin for EAServer 4.2.2 for Linux in Product Compatibilities i'm read PowerBuilder: This EAServer version does not include a PowerBuilder virtual machine. It's means deployed NVOs and WebDatawindows is not supported? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040006020003040509090500 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > It's means deployed NVOs and WebDatawindows is not > supported? That's correct - currently does not support PB NVOs. -- Rahul Jain Cynergy System...

I use informix database ,I want to know how to get the server time on informix server in powerbuilder
Try to use CURRENT in embedded SQL for select one row, f.e. datetime ldt_cur time lt_cur string ls_time SELECT CURRENT INTO :ldt_cur FROM systables WHERE tabid = 1 ; lt_cur = Time(ldt_cur) // or use ls_time = String(ldt_cur, 'hh:mm:ss') HTH Alex select current date into :ldtDateTime from SomeTable ; ...

PowerBuilder client to other Application Servers?
Given an environment that has a mix of App servers, is it possible to access a WebShere bean directly from a PB client? TIA, Tim If you use a COM wrapper then you could do this from PowerBuilder. Or you could go PB->EAServer->Websphere. Any use of the connection object or the Jaguar ORB object to connect directly to an appserver other than EAServer is not supported. Jim O'Neil Sybase Technical Support On Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:05:43 -0600, "Tim Nesham" <tim.nesham@born.com> wrote: >Given an environment that has a mix of App servers, is it...

PowerBuilder client using EJBs
In EAServer 3.6, is it possible to access Java-EJBs from a powerbuilder client? Would the code look something like this? // connect to jaguar n_genapp_connect ln_Jaguar ln_Jaguar = CREATE n_genapp_connect ln_Jaguar.ConnectToServer() // get a hold of the remote interface pbtesthome ln_HomeObject pbtestremote ln_RemoteObject IF ln_Jaguar.CreateInstance( ln_HomeObject, "package/PBTestHome" ) <> 0 THEN MessageBox( "Error", ln_Jaguar.errtext ); END IF ln_RemoteObject = ln_HomeObject.create() Thanks in advance Andrew, It is possible to do this,...

Using Powerbuilder as an SMTP client
I have been able to use Outlook from Powerbuilder to send email. However, there is always a box that pops up from Outlook that says are you sure you want to send this.... In order to get around this problem, I want to use PB as a mail client. Does anyone know how to do this? Anthony "Anthony Perera" <asdf@sdf.com> wrote in message news:425d1dd7@forums-1-dub... >I have been able to use Outlook from Powerbuilder to send email. However, there is always a box that pops up from >Outlook that says are you sure you want to send this.... In order to get around t...

Web resources about - Is every Powerbuilder client using 2 server sessions? - sybase.easerver.powerbuilder

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles