EAServer App using Powerbuilder

Hi,

I am a PB client/server developer having a good understanding of
client/server design issues.
But when it comes to WEB app, I am not having a good understanding of
underlining concepts.
like How people do authentication in WEB(in Client server we do this by
making connection to Database, but in web app this does not looks
practical. A web app should use some chched conections to databasewhich
every user connection should use)

I would really appreciate if some one could guide me where I could find a
sample application (kind of getting started using EA Server and PB not
Java) in which user has to be authenticated and do some updates to
database. I looked at Powerobject.com  but could not find what I was
looking for. I read the book Jaguar development with PB 7 but this also did
not help clear the concepts.

Thanks,
Saiyed

0
Saiyed
6/11/2002 1:26:42 PM
sybase.easerver.powerbuilder 3902 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Saiyed,

Take a look at the Security Administration and Programming Guide in the EAS
4.1.1 documentation which gives a good overview of the concepts.

In general, you will want to do user Authentication and Authorization at
the web application level and/or at the application server level.  Once you
have done that, you may want to consider no longer re-authenticating and
re-authorizing the user at the DB level.  If you move the security from the
DB layer into the middle tier, you may choose to use a generic userid on
your DB connection cache as you indicated.

Security can be pretty complex and there are lots of options and you will
have to make design decisions that are appropriate for your application.

HTH,

Joe

Saiyed wrote in

> Hi,
>
> I am a PB client/server developer having a good understanding of
> client/server design issues.
> But when it comes to WEB app, I am not having a good understanding of
> underlining concepts.
> like How people do authentication in WEB(in Client server we do this
> by making connection to Database, but in web app this does not looks
> practical. A web app should use some chched conections to
> databasewhich every user connection should use)
>

> I would really appreciate if some one could guide me where I could
> find a sample application (kind of getting started using EA Server and
> PB not Java) in which user has to be authenticated and do some updates
> to database. I looked at Powerobject.com  but could not find what I
> was looking for. I read the book Jaguar development with PB 7 but this
> also did not help clear the concepts.
>
> Thanks,
> Saiyed

0
Joe
6/11/2002 1:38:38 PM
In article <4E5AFDB330822BF80049DAF985256BD5.0049DB0885256BD5
@webforums>, Saiyed says...
> Hi,
>
> I am a PB client/server developer having a good understanding of
> client/server design issues.
> But when it comes to WEB app, I am not having a good understanding of
> underlining concepts.
> like How people do authentication in WEB(in Client server we do this by

Saiyed

I think you have a start on some of the issues that you will run into.
However, there are a lot of things to consider when "moving" to a web
application.  I would highly recommend doing a lot of reading - check
out the Sun web site - and hiring some "experts" to assist in your
effort.  You just need to get a good understanding of the issues and how
to handle them - just so you don't spin your wheels on the basics.

For example, you could use the container for your authentication or you
could continue to do the authentication in the application.  There are
pros and cons of both, so you will need to explore the options.

I know you wanted specifics but the concept is too open for me to narrow
it down without knowing more about your app.

Mark

--
Mark Pfeifer[TeamSybase]  Corporate Technology Partners, Inc.
mpfeifer at sprynet.com      Emerging Technology Solutions

Our application is a fairly big size application having around 3000 to 4000
POwerbuilder objects in client server architecture.

Lot of functionality in out application really make more sense to be made
web enabled. But my company is not ready to send us on any training as they
do not realize a need for this. But I know it will come soon.

What I want to do is to build a sample application ( a very simple one) to
face the issues in web application developements and learn from it before
we eventually start work on business application.

Does sybase provide a sample application using EAserver and PB? Does any
one else?
I really appreciate you helping me out.
Thanks,
Saiyed
0
SAIYED
6/12/2002 12:45:45 PM
This is one of the most basic of all needs for PB client/server
programmers.  I have seen it asked numerous times in this forum and in my
mind is absolutely essential for developers, but as important is that it is
absolutely essential for EAServer/Sybase.  If we can't figure out how to do
move existing apps to EAServer or create new ones, or whatever, EAServer is
in my opinion not going to make it.
Not one simple app. either, many apps. simple and advanced and with
explanations/help files.
PB has had the examples and other apps. for as long as I can remember and I
know they are very important to developers.

SYBASE - you need to do this!!!!
0
DeuceRider
6/12/2002 4:21:50 PM
Saiyed,
We have developed a sample application on one of our current projects, but
it is unfortunately "government owned" at this point.  If you work for a US
Government agency, I could work with you to get you a copy. If not, I
recommend that you look into one of the existing frameworks that are
available.  Most of them provide samples using their frameworks.

If you are serious about learning the PB to EAS migration strategies, I
echo what mark said and suggest you invest in some training and hire some
expertise to help you up the learning curve.  You can contact your local
Sybase Professional Services representatives or one of our many partners.

Joe

SAIYED wrote in

> Hi Mark, Joe,
> Thanks for your suggestions.
> As I mentioned earlier I do not have a very good understaning of web
> architecture and I am want to do it right rather than reinventing the
> wheel in many iterations.
>
> Our application is a fairly big size application having around 3000 to
> 4000 POwerbuilder objects in client server architecture.
>
> Lot of functionality in out application really make more sense to be
> made web enabled. But my company is not ready to send us on any
> training as they do not realize a need for this. But I know it will
> come soon.
>
> What I want to do is to build a sample application ( a very simple
> one) to face the issues in web application developements and learn
> from it before we eventually start work on business application.
>
> Does sybase provide a sample application using EAserver and PB? Does
> any one else?
> I really appreciate you helping me out.
> Thanks,
> Saiyed

0
Joe

EAserver and Powerbuilder
Hi Friends, EAserver and Powerbuilder which one need to be installed first. I found that if I install EAserver first and then Powerbuilder and when I start the Jaguar, Jagaur is starting and display 'Accepting Connections' fast. If I install Powerbuilder first and then EAserver, Jaguar is taking long time to start and display 'Accepting Connections' As it is therefore which one is the right method and what are the pros and cons. TIA RAO The order of the installation should be irrelevant to performance. The only overlap between the programs is the Sy...

EAserver with PowerBuilder
We are thinking about moving some of our PowerBuilder NVOs to EAServer. Can anyone provide links to tutorials on this topic? Thanks, Doug Sybase's site has some examples. We have many simple examples on our site http://www.powerobjects.com/jaguar.htm -- Dean Jones [TeamSybase] PowerTeam, Inc. http://www.powerobjects.com smlPortal - Moving PB to the web. "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message news:vB4M4tP$BHA.289@forums.sybase.com... > > We are thinking about moving some of our PowerBuilder NVOs to EAServer. > Can anyone pro...

Powerbuilder and EAServer
I have a Powerbuilder application where much of the processing takes place on the client machine. I would like to move much of the complex processing to the application server (EAServer). Has anyone else taken this route and can give me a good place to start? A reference to a sample app (for EAServer) would be good. Thanks in advance, Terry The first step is to put the code in non-visual objects. There is examples at: http://www.powerobjects.com I think Cynergy Systems' EAF framework might be worth a look. Check it out at www.cynergysystems.com. There are othe...

How to Use SSL in Powerbuilder Client for EAServer?
I want to Use SSL in Powerbuilder Client for EAServer,But after Read Sybase'documents,I still can't find a clear steps,I need a simply clear Steps,SOS,Who can Help me? -- Qianhaiyuan (Mr.) Gotop System Mobile:13307113338 Phone:027-87561071-238 eMail: qianhy@egotop.com MSN: qianhy2@hotmail.com Pseudo/actual code with minimal error handling icn_jaguar.location = 'iiops://my_server_address:9001' //get ssl service provider ll_rc = getcontextservice( "SSLServiceProvider", l_sslsp ) if ll_rc <> 1 then error // Set the QOP ll_rc = l_s...

PowerBuilder/EAServer
Hi, My company wants to re-write some of our apps and make them web enabled. Can someone recommend some PowerBuilder/EAServer framework. Perhaps the one that you can use to develop client-server, as well as Web applications. PFC cannot handle web applications, we have PB 7. thank you Sarah Cynergy Systems offers the EAServer Framework (EAF) www.cynergysystems.com -- Paul A. Horan[TeamSybase] VCI Springfield, MA www.vcisolutions.com "Sarah" <sarah0969@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:qOOwjwzqBHA.206@forums.sybase.com... > Hi, > >...

How to configure both server and client with using EAServer and PowerBuilder?
Hi, If I am using PowerBuilder version 8.0.3 Build 9704 & EAServer version 3.6.1 Build 36108, how can I configure both the server and client setting so that I can use web-site to access the database for reporting purpose. Thanks! ...

Unable to use EAServer with Powerbuilder 8.03
When a row is deleted from the client and passed to the server in a blob, upon the server unloading the blob the deleted row is not available. Went back to 8.02, and it worked fine. This has been posted in several newsgroups already, maybe it's time for CaseExpress? We delete rows using Get/SetFullState. Can you post your code? -- Dean Jones [TeamSybase] CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com smlPortal - Moving PB to the web. <Alan_Simpson> wrote in message news:A83BD48194F0CEC30050F06385256C56.0050F07185256C56@webforums... > When a row is deleted ...

Unable to use EAServer with Powerbuilder 8.03
When a row is deleted from the client and passed to the server in a blob, upon the server unloading the blob the deleted row is not available. Went back to 8.02, and it worked fine. ...

Use PowerBuilder DLL in PowerBuilder

Using a PowerBuilder app to drive another Windows app
My users need to run a canned Windows application repeatedly with a variety of parameters on a variety of datasets. In order to do this, they have to log in, choose a menu item, key in some parameters, click an OK button and exit. And then do it again and again and . . . We want to set up a database with the appropriate parameters and write an application to drive the process. We've considered Winbatch but would rather not introduce another development tool . . . if it's not too hard to accomplish the task in PowerBuilder. This has to run in a Windows 95 or NT Workstatio...

PowerBuilder - EAServer
Hi All, Good Morning, I need some information regarding EAServer. Using EAServer, PB application communicate with Java Application or is it usefull to migrate PB to Java? If not, is any way to migrate PB to Java application? Could you give me urls for tutorial and EAServer trail version? Advanced Thanks for yor help. Chaithu Please see Mr. Horan's response in sybase.public.powerbuilder.general. Please try to avoid posting to multiple groups. -- John Strano - Sybase Technology Evangelist "Ms. Chaithu" <chaithanya.sw@gmail.com> wrote in messag...

Migrating PowerBuilder/EAserver
Our distributed application work is currently done with PB7 and EAServer 4.1.3. I'd like to migrate our objects to PB9 (where all of our client/server work is done). If I do this, what needs to be done on the EAServer side (if anything)? Thanks, Tom You need to put your server functionality into one or more EAServer components (these are just PB NVOs with a couple of extra events) and change your client app to connect to and request functionality from EAServer instead of distributed PB. If you are using server push in your distributed PB server, you need to find a worka...

PowerBuilder - EAServer
Hi All, Good Morning, I need some information regarding EAServer. Using EAServer, PB application communicate with Java Application or is it usefull to migrate PB to Java? If not, is any way to migrate PB to Java application? Could you give me urls for tutorial and EAServer trail version? Advanced Thanks for yor help. Chaithu You can see the product manauls in http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.eas_6.0/title.htm > Hi All, > > Good Morning, > > I need some information regarding EAServer. Using EAServer > , PB applicat...

PowerBuilder and SSL to EAServer
Hi, Would like to use iiops for connecting to EAServer. I tried few options and none seems to be working. From the help file, I tried the following : SSLServiceProvider sp GetContextService( "SSLServiceProvider", sp ) int rc string ls_values[] rc = sp.GetGlobalProperty("availableQop", ls_values) IF rc <> 0 THEN MessageBox("Get Qop Failed", "rc = " + string(rc)) RETURN END IF And I am getting -10 as the return value (-10 => An EAServer or SSL failure has occurred ) Can anybody help me to find whats missing here...

Web resources about - EAServer App using Powerbuilder - sybase.easerver.powerbuilder

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles