Mapping multiple web apps to a single IP/port configuration

Hi Everyone,
How do I map multiple web apps to a single IP/port
configuration just like ISS uses Host headers?
Thanks.
0
Super

I wondered the same thing myself a while back.  I am assuming you want to
have something like http://www.host1.com/default.jsp and
http://www.host2.com/default.jsp point to the same EAServer and have
EAServer figure out from the header how to respond (which web app etc).
The quick answer is you can't do it.

--
BOB FRANCIS
<Super DBA> wrote in message news:42261764.5d47.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi Everyone,
> How do I map multiple web apps to a single IP/port
> configuration just like ISS uses Host headers?
> Thanks.

0
Bob
3/2/2005 9:53:24 PM
About the only easy way to pull this off is with a J2EE Filter.  Write a
filter on the default web app which checks the header, and issues either
a redirect or a forward to a specific web app.  You could assign the web
app to host mapping in the web.xml filter config.

I've done a similar solution to implementing J2EE security restrictions
that dont exist.... Like a whitelist filter, which applies a whitelist
to a web app by header values (say referrer).  I have some pretty
creative ideas on using filters, and session events to create some
pretty awesome functionality that doesnt exist today.....

I know I could do this pretty easily.

If you want this let me know.

Dave Wolf
Cynergy Systems
http://www.cynergysystems.com

Bob Francis wrote:
> I wondered the same thing myself a while back.  I am assuming you want to
> have something like http://www.host1.com/default.jsp and
> http://www.host2.com/default.jsp point to the same EAServer and have
> EAServer figure out from the header how to respond (which web app etc).
> The quick answer is you can't do it.

0
Dave
3/2/2005 11:15:22 PM
Dave,
Carson and I had chatted a while back about the filter idea.  I recall him
raising some issue about it, but I can't remember what it was.  I only had
two hosts that I wanted to check so I ended up doing it in a .jsp that did
the redirection.  It was client side redirection which worked for my tiny
little problem, but I would never recommend as a "good" solution.
I may give the filter idea another look (in my spare time).

--
BOB FRANCIS
"Dave Wolf" <dave.wolf@cynergysystems.com_nospam> wrote in message
> About the only easy way to pull this off is with a J2EE Filter.  Write a
> filter on the default web app which checks the header, and issues either a
> redirect or a forward to a specific web app.  You could assign the web app
> to host mapping in the web.xml filter config.
>
> I've done a similar solution to implementing J2EE security restrictions
> that dont exist.... Like a whitelist filter, which applies a whitelist to
> a web app by header values (say referrer).  I have some pretty creative
> ideas on using filters, and session events to create some pretty awesome
> functionality that doesnt exist today.....
>
> I know I could do this pretty easily.
>
> If you want this let me know.
>
> Dave Wolf
> Cynergy Systems
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>

> Bob Francis wrote:
>> I wondered the same thing myself a while back.  I am assuming you want to
>> have something like http://www.host1.com/default.jsp and
>> http://www.host2.com/default.jsp point to the same EAServer and have
>> EAServer figure out from the header how to respond (which web app etc).
>> The quick answer is you can't do it.

0
Bob
3/3/2005 11:19:01 AM
Hi Dave,
I would love to hear your idea.
I look forward to it.

> About the only easy way to pull this off is with a J2EE
> Filter.  Write a  filter on the default web app which
> checks the header, and issues either  a redirect or a
> forward to a specific web app.  You could assign the web
> app to host mapping in the web.xml filter config.
>
> I've done a similar solution to implementing J2EE security
> restrictions  that dont exist.... Like a whitelist filter,
> which applies a whitelist  to a web app by header values
> (say referrer).  I have some pretty  creative ideas on
> using filters, and session events to create some  pretty
> awesome functionality that doesnt exist today.....
>
> I know I could do this pretty easily.
>
> If you want this let me know.
>
> Dave Wolf
> Cynergy Systems
> http://www.cynergysystems.com
>

> Bob Francis wrote:
> > I wondered the same thing myself a while back.  I am
> > assuming you want to  have something like
> > http://www.host1.com/default.jsp and
> http://www.host2.com/default.jsp point to the same
> > EAServer and have  EAServer figure out from the header
> > how to respond (which web app etc). The quick answer is
> > you can't do it.
0
Super

Multiple login pages for a single web app?
Greetings,    Using asp.net 3.5 and forms authentication, is it true that you can only have 1 login page per web app, even though you can have a seperate web.config file in the child "admin" folder?    If that's the case, how does the child web.config play into things, since it's supposed to override the parent web.config?  Does it get ignored when the app sees a second authentication block?    What if a single login page does not meet the [legitimate] business need? Thanks.  issue close to yours: http://forums.asp.n...

Single vs. multiple installations of same web app
Hi all, I am working on a project where we need to host a growing number of web sites (initially around 15). In terms of functionality the sites are identical, and the only differences lies in some application settings (UI language, layout template, etc.). Thus, we are really talking about one web application, installed and configured to run under several "identities". It seems to me that two alternative approaches exists on how to tackle such a setup, but I am having a hard time choosing the right one to go with. Let me explain the options as I see them: Build a single...

Membership
Goal: Multiple web applications, One User account. The user should be able to log in to multiple applications using one set of credentials.  They should be able to click "Remember me" on one or more of the applications.  If they change there password in one app, this will apply to all apps.  Each app will have distinct roles Users may have access to one or more applications (but not necessarily all) This can be accomplished by setting the applictaionName attribute of the membership / providers tag, to "/", but the problem is that the remember me does not work. I am u...

Multiple Authentication Pages in a single web app.
Hello, Essentially the problem is this: I have a web application that has various directories. / /partners* /customers* * -> Secured by authentication Now my question is, how do I make it so /customers, has its own Forms authentication page and /partners has its own separate. I currently have the pages built and the forms authentication code implemented, I just don't know how in the web.config to specifiy that pages in /customers authenticates to /customers/login.aspx and pages in /partners authenticate to /partners/login.aspx. Is this possible? Thanks ...

Configuring multiple apps in web.config file
Hello,  I am trying to configure my web.config file to handle another application.  I am not having much success and would greatly appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks in advanceHere's the new app web.config file that i want to add to the main app web.config file:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <configuration> <!-- application specific settings --> <appSettings> <add key="ConnectionString" value="server=localhost;database=IBS;uid=user;pwd=password" /> <add key="VerisignPartner" value="" /> <add key="VerisignUsername" v...

Single Login accross Multiple Web Apps
I want to create several different web applications that use the exact same membership data, but have different role definitions. I don't want to have to maintain multiple lists of users and passwords. This would allow seperate apps to link to each other without loging in each time. Does anyone know how ASP.Net 2.0 addresses this issue or of any sites that discuss it? Take a look at this post on my blog. If you use the Membership feature to share users among applications, make sure they work against the same data source and has the same ApplicationName specified. You can set the Appl...

Configuring Multiple Site Maps in the Web.config File
I used the link below for reference on "Configuring Multiple Site Maps in the Web.config file".http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms178426.aspx Everything works as stated in the article, but I'd like to add additional features. The main feature is "StaticSelectedStyle". I'd like the selected "siteMapNode" to hold a style until the next selection. Any ideas? Thanks...

Configuring Multiple Web Config files in a single application
Hello,I am currently working on a web project where a customer just asked me to also implement Windows authentication for a particular directory within the application. Prior to this request the application itself was configured to allows anonymous access, with the exception of one file which has been configured to use Forms authentication. So as such in the main application's web.config file I've added a <location> tag in order to pick up the forms authentication mechanism for this file when it is accessed, forcing the user to supply their credentials. However as I...

problem running multiple databases from a single web app
Hi all, I have a problem that I hope someone an point me in the right direction. I have just started writing a single web application that should be able to work with 1 or more databases held on a sql server (for example one database is live and the other could be for training or testing) I have created 2 folders labelled LoginLive and LoginTest, each has a web.config with custom settings that identify which database to log into. Once the user logs in, they get directed to a common folder labelled WebForms. mainWeb/loginLive <--- login and create session state to store pointe...

Using multiple web.configs with different web apps in the same web folder.
How do I tell a web application to use a specific web.config file instead of referencing the root web apps web.config file? Example: In IIS i have this setup:My Server  Web Sites     Default Web Site (this has web.config with a reference to a HTTP Handler)     My Http Handler           My Sub Web             < --- This sub web is looking for the http handler in this web hope that makes sense.   shawn use location elem...

Single page with multiple user web controls VS Multiple page with specific user web controls
I have a question regarding single page with multiple user web controls vs multiple page with specific user web controls   Option 1: I am of the opinion to have multiple pages with specific user web controls and use an object to store all the information as the user navigates through the application. And finally at the end, read this object and save all the information to the backend database.   Option 2: My respected team member suggests that we have only one page, with all the specific user web controls and not use an object, instead show/hide the user web controls based ...

ANN: Host multiple web apps in a single instance of Cassini
I've hacked the Cassini source to allow it to host multiple web apps. Through a simple configuration file, you can now run as many web apps as you want. It supports host headers, so you can access individual sites as: http://webapp1 http://webapp2 http://myotherwebapp etc. And they can all listen on port 80. The new Cassini looks at the Host: header to dispatch to the correct App Host. Some other features that are supported: * Virtual directories * Custom default documents * Static file list (Specify which file types should be sent to client without going throug...

web app with multiple web services
Hi all, I intend on having a web app which would have many .asmx files. Some would be atlas web services and some would be regular web services. I noticed that in the web.config it changes the httphandler for .asmx files. Will this affect all my .asmx files? Is there anyway to restrict this based on folder paths etc?TIA! Yes, you can restrict handlers to specific files or directories. Please note that even though the .asmx requests are now handled by a different handler, it should not break anything. All this handler does is return a JavaScript proxy when someone requested the service...

configuring multiple ip addresses for a single domain in iis 7
consider some files of application placed in one machine , and the remaining files placed in another, how can i configure in iis so that pages in these two machine address behave as a single application?...

Web resources about - Mapping multiple web apps to a single IP/port configuration - sybase.easerver.general

Configuration management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The CM process is widely used by military engineering organizations to manage complex systems , such as weapon systems, vehicles, and information ...

Facebook Taps Opscode Private Chef For Configuration, Management Of Servers
How does Facebook manage its ever-growing plethora of servers , configurations, administrative access policies, and the other tasks that go along ...

Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on ...
Get Safe Gadget - Secure Your Computer and Smartphones with Easy to Follow Security Configuration Tips on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

The Promise of System Configuration - YouTube
Google Tech Talks November 5, 2008 ABSTRACT In 1993 cfengine was one of the first open source configuration management systems for Unix, and ...

IBM: The PC is the new mainframe - Apple, Configuration / maintenance, Data Center, hardware systems ...
"The PC is dead!" We've heard that message a lot since the birth of Apple's iPad, but when one of the creators of IBM's first PC added his voice ...

Cloud BI vendor Birst bags $38 million in venture funding - SaaS, Configuration / maintenance, Birst ...
Birst, a San Francisco company that offers cloud-based business intelligence services, has scored a US$38 million venture investment led by existing ...

EMC teams with Avaya (not Cisco) on communication pods - unified communications, Configuration / maintenance ...
Two stalwarts in the enterprise IT market joined forces today to release a unified communications stack that integrates hardware from EMC, virtualization ...

Top tech companies plug into renewable power - Configuration / maintenance, Google, Microsoft, Networking ...
Leading tech companies like Microsoft, Google and Apple are making huge inroads in the use of renewable energy for corporate facilities and data ...

New 15-inch 2.5 GHz MacBook Pro unboxed and compared to other 2015 configurations
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display is here and available in a few different configurations. We’re take a closer look at the ...

Qualcomm Announces Snapdragon 820 Modem Configuration
... program. While we have some information about various bits and pieces of Snapdragon 820, the real points of interest like the exact CPU configuration, ...