i want to know... i need Application Server or not?

If my company have 2 site, i want provide powerbuilder application now.
Then, local client can conn to database directly.
On another site, i can conn via internet... but...
i need to use JDBC? or just conn by IP address? or i need application
server?
whats the diff?
eg:
application server : very stable
JDBC : very slow
IP address : impossible

thx

0
Guruguru

If you use an app server, you can centralize business and data access logic
and keep the client relatively thin.  You can also take advantage of
database connection caching, which will greatly increase the scalability of
the application.  And you get a whole additional layer of security.

"Guruguru" <guruguru@gurugurus.com> wrote in message
> If my company have 2 site, i want provide powerbuilder application now.
> Then, local client can conn to database directly.
> On another site, i can conn via internet... but...
> i need to use JDBC? or just conn by IP address? or i need application
> server?
> whats the diff?
> eg:
> application server : very stable
> JDBC : very slow
> IP address : impossible
>
> thx

0
Mark
5/16/2002 6:13:15 PM
thx Mark Maslow... ^^

i hv another question then...
now:
pb7 ==> database, i just need to conn a "transaction like sqlca"
if:
pb7/pb8 ==> app server (app server conn. database)
i m also can use "transaction like sqlca"?
(i don't need webpage service, i just need client conn by internet)

seem can't find suitable sample @ pb7 and pb8 ~_~

"Mark Maslow" <mark.maslow@sierraclub.org> wrote in message
> If you use an app server, you can centralize business and data access
logic
> and keep the client relatively thin.  You can also take advantage of
> database connection caching, which will greatly increase the scalability
of
> the application.  And you get a whole additional layer of security.
>
> "Guruguru" <guruguru@gurugurus.com> wrote in message
> > If my company have 2 site, i want provide powerbuilder application now.
> > Then, local client can conn to database directly.
> > On another site, i can conn via internet... but...
> > i need to use JDBC? or just conn by IP address? or i need application
> > server?
> > whats the diff?
> > eg:
> > application server : very stable
> > JDBC : very slow
> > IP address : impossible
> >
> > thx

0
Guruguru
5/17/2002 1:15:43 AM
Hi!

Your components are sitting in the AppServer. So in the component you would use
SetComplete() or SetAbort() to commit or rollback.

On Fri, 17 May 2002 09:15:43 +0800,
 in sybase.public.easerver.general
Guruguru <guruguru@gurugurus.com> wrote:
>thx Mark Maslow... ^^
>
>i hv another question then...
>now:
>pb7 ==> database, i just need to conn a "transaction like sqlca"
>if:
>pb7/pb8 ==> app server (app server conn. database)
>i m also can use "transaction like sqlca"?
>(i don't need webpage service, i just need client conn by internet)
>
>seem can't find suitable sample @ pb7 and pb8 ~_~
>

>"Mark Maslow" <mark.maslow@sierraclub.org> wrote in message
>> If you use an app server, you can centralize business and data access
>logic
>> and keep the client relatively thin.  You can also take advantage of
>> database connection caching, which will greatly increase the scalability
>of
>> the application.  And you get a whole additional layer of security.
>>
>> "Guruguru" <guruguru@gurugurus.com> wrote in message
>> > If my company have 2 site, i want provide powerbuilder application now.
>> > Then, local client can conn to database directly.
>> > On another site, i can conn via internet... but...
>> > i need to use JDBC? or just conn by IP address? or i need application
>> > server?
>> > whats the diff?
>> > eg:
>> > application server : very stable
>> > JDBC : very slow
>> > IP address : impossible
>> >
>> > thx

Berndt
http://www.bhitcon.net
0
Berndt
5/17/2002 10:29:37 AM
App server component can connect to db using SQLCA - typically using a
connection cache.  Client connects only to app server.

0
Mark