EAServer General Questions

Hello group,
I trying to find some info that a customer asked but I cannot. Here they
are:
1. Benchmarks in the TCP-W standard
2. Documented info regarding SMP (support, load balancing). I only found 3
lines in the EAServer manuals
3. Any documented info regarding the max concurent users etc. I know that it
is 60-80 per cpu but there is no document showing these things.

If anyone can help please do
Regards
Dimitris Karistinos

0
Dimitris

3) "CPU Sizing for Concurrent Client Connections to EAServer." id=1019577

Also see from Jonathan Baker in a thread here called "easerver tuning":

I researched and wrote the EAServer tuning presentation for TechWave a
few years back.  (If you like, i can email it to you.)  Our research on
Windows using EAServer has about 50 people per CPU.  To make matters
worse, the load does NOT scale evenly across a 4 CPU box.  I think the
maximum you should expect is about 150-175 users on that box.
<<

--
Regards,
Millard [TeamSybase]

"Dimitris Karistinos" <dkaris@relational.gr> wrote in message

> Hello group,
> I trying to find some info that a customer asked but I cannot. Here they
> are:
> 1. Benchmarks in the TCP-W standard
> 2. Documented info regarding SMP (support, load balancing). I only found 3
> lines in the EAServer manuals
> 3. Any documented info regarding the max concurent users etc. I know that
it
> is 60-80 per cpu but there is no document showing these things.
>
> If anyone can help please do
> Regards
> Dimitris Karistinos

0
Millard
4/10/2006 3:27:55 PM
Dimitris:

1.  We don't have any benchmarks on the TCP-W standard for EAS 5.5.  We
ran benchmarks on every server up to 5.0, but we found that it didn't
matter at all how we did - our sales didn't change no matter what score
we had.  Because the tests are expensive to run, and they had no value
to our sales teams, we stopped running them.

2.  EAS 5.x is a very thread aware system.  It supports multiple users
by providing a single thread to each one, and also uses individual
threads for all of it's background processing.  Therefore, we use the OS
support for SMP to provide load balancing on a single box.

If you are actually talking about clusters (multiple boxes, with
multiple CPU's) EAServer supports clusters in it's own software.  We can
automatically detect a failed machine, and load balance across all of
the other machines in a cluster - without needing any special clustering
software from the manufacturer.

3.  The load per CPU numbers depend on the type of language you are
using.  Java is slightly more efficient than PowerBuilder in this area,
and the numbers are very dependent on the O/S.  Let us know which O/S
and language you are using, and we can give you better information.

Jonathan

Dimitris Karistinos wrote:

> Hello group,
> I trying to find some info that a customer asked but I cannot. Here they
> are:
> 1. Benchmarks in the TCP-W standard
> 2. Documented info regarding SMP (support, load balancing). I only found 3
> lines in the EAServer manuals
> 3. Any documented info regarding the max concurent users etc. I know that it
> is 60-80 per cpu but there is no document showing these things.
>
> If anyone can help please do
> Regards
> Dimitris Karistinos

0
Jonathan

Another EAServer general question
We are considering purchasing software from a consulting company written in JAVA. I would like to require that it run on EAServer. Is there any good reason that would not be possible? If not EAServer wouldn't that software have to run either locally on a machine or if I want multiple users to use the same software on some app. server like Weblogic or Websphere of EAServer? If it's straight Java, it may not run in a J2EE container. (It should, and you could probably ask for it, but it's not a requirement). If however, the Java software is J2EE compliant (which you *shou...

What generals generally do

easerver.general slow?
I've noticed that forums.sybase.easerver.general (and webforums.sybase.easerver.general) has been running <very slowly> since it had it's uptime problems a few weeks ago. Is this just me, or is it a common problem? I'm using Outlook as my reader... D I see no difference. "Daniel Coppersmith" <daniel@N.0.S.P.A.M_infrontsoftware.com> wrote in message news:DaIHcNkYBHA.374@forums.sybase.com... > I've noticed that forums.sybase.easerver.general (and > webforums.sybase.easerver.general) has been running <very slowly> since it ...

EAserver to Easerver calls
We have a central server that makes calls to other jaguar servers located on different machines. If the calling component uses transactions, then whenever it connects to a component on another system we get errors in the server log in regards to invalid transactions (see below for actual error) on both the calling and called servers. These errors cause a rollback in the calling component. The code in the called component executes properly. If we set the transaction type to 'not supported' all works well, but we lose the ability to take advantage of EAServer's transactio...

Need general info about EAServer ?
We are currently working on a Web Application powered by EAServer on Sun-Solaris (SPARC). I require the following information : 1. The market share of EAServer in the Application Server Market ? Also tell me the position of EAServer ? 2. URL's of the Websites Powered with EAServer ? 3. Which Component Model is the best to deploy in EAServer 3.6 (PB or EJB or COM) ? Is PB Component Model inferior than EJB Model with related to Performance and other issues ? Thanks, Shaik ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_lis...

Is there a general batch scheduling engine available for EAServer?
I am interested in using Service Components in for batch jobs. Is there a scheduler available for starting jobs at various times / Days via this facility? Brett. Hi, You can easily write this yourself. In the start function you can look at the current time and then calculate the sleeptime. In the run function you can sleep for let's say a day and your component will run once a day at the same hour. On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 01:00:36 -0400, in sybase.public.easerver.general <brett.priddey@wcc.govt.nz> wrote: >I am interested in using Service Components in for ...

EAServer Questions
All, we're considering inroducing EaServer as a 3rd tier to an existing CS app. Does EaServer support: 1. Connection cache timeout? (ie. disconnect idle connections after two minutes.) 2. Minimum cache connections to 'keep alive'? (ie. maintain a minimum of two connections available. If EaServer can not suport this natively, can it be done programatically? Thanks, Scott You have transcation time out and component timeout properties for 1. Yes, the connection cache can keep specified number of connection. -Hitesh Scott Mitchell wrote: > All, ...

general question
Formal object modeling is relatively new to me, and I was wondering how PowerDesigner helps in the building of J2EE systems (session beans - stateful, stateless... entity beans...). What support if any does PowerDesigner have for this area? Is it just a straight Object modeling tool for general Java architectures? Anyway, your kind responses would be welcome. Jason EJB 2.0 support will be added in version 9 due out later this year. It will include entity beans (BMP/CMP), session beans (stateful/stateless) as well as message-driven beans. Entity beans will benefit from the t...

General questions
Hello, 1. I read on many Perl/CGI tutorial/articles that it is best to place and use CGI files in /cgi-bin/ directory than anywhere else, due to avoid many problems. Buy in our website, we have several subdomain and those are all use the same /cgi-bin/ directory, so now there are a lot of files populated there. So now what I have to do to reduce the management/maintanence problems. 2. I used "use strict", and I get error for the statement open(IN_FILE1, ">>test_records.txt"); Here the error is Bareword "IN_FILE1" not allowed while "...

EAServer Questions
Can use install EAServer on box running Linux? Will EAS run under a Novell box? We will have a Linux release in the near future. No plans for Novel. Dave Wolf Internet Applications Division "TMehrens" <tmehrens@iellp.com> wrote in message news:FGli8islAHA.90@forums.sybase.com... > Can use install EAServer on box running Linux? > Will EAS run under a Novell box? > > > If not running on a NetWare server - any plans to make use of NDS as a service [as an external authentication/rights database?] "Dave Wolf [Sybase]" wrote: ...

General Questions
Whilst looking for a solution to a problem with desktops and Workstation Manager we came across iFolder and have a couple of questions. It would be iFolder 2.0, rather that 1.0 which comes with Netware6, and would be running on NW50SP6A with 2K clients. 1. Can multiple users pull updates from the same iFolder location. 2. Can we make the iFolder location read only for all except admins 3. Can we have more than one folder on the client to synchronise 4. If yes can these sync to different locations on the iFolder server and can these locations have different attributes ( i.e R,W,F,...

Question on EAServer
I am running EAS 3.0.1 + Netscape Server + Oracle 8i on Solaris 2.6 Most of our web page is running htmlDW. However, the error message "MEM_BAD_POINTER Abort, Ignore? " appeared after data retrieved for several times. I have turned the instance pooling on. May I know what causes this error??? Our project is developed on EAS 3.0.1 for NT and now trying to port to Solaris. Everything runs smoothly on NT but Solaris, is there concern we need to care for such porting? Thanks........... Dave, do u know what's the latest patch for EAS 3.0.1 on Solaris?? Actually what I c...

question about EAServer
I have the following situation: The Client access the object in Jaguar. The Client crashes. When it come back again and try to access the component occours errors. Is there a way to kill the process of this object without restart Jaguar Server? tks Marcelle I guess "the object in Jaguar" you refer to is a stateful component? First suggestion - don't use stateful components. Holding state in a database involves a little more programming, but makes for much better scalability, stability and performance. And would make your problem disappear. But that'...

General Questions
I have patchlink setup so that i have a PDP at each of our locations. I noticed that when an agent needs a patch it will request it from the PDP and if the PDP doesn't have it, it will request it from our patchlink server. This causes bandwidth issues in some of our locations. I was wondering other than setting a policy for them to talk at night or off hours..which i know how to do. My question is..if i have a PDP policy setup with the PDP and set a bandwidth throttle option on the policy, that will allow the PDP to talk to the server in the bandwidth specified right? My ag...

Web resources about - EAServer General Questions - sybase.easerver.general

Questions raised over fairness of drug-driving charges as arrests double
NSW courts have been inundated with drug driving cases as arrests more than doubled in 2015, triggering concerns that people are being penalised ...

First Hill Streetcar launch party planned — only question is when — UPDATE: SATURDAY SOFT LAUNCH
As of last Wednesday, Seattle Department of Transportation officials have a plan for the event to launch the First Hill Streetcar including a ...

8 Questions We Have After Watching That Insanely Epic 'Suicide Squad' Trailer
Who is the villain? Where is Harley's accent? Are we all going to love The Joker?

What To Do When The Job Interviewer Doesn’t Ask The Right Questions
What To Do When The Job Interviewer Doesn’t Ask The Right Questions

Israel warms to Sunni powers, questions US' Palestinian focus
Israel warms to Sunni powers, questions US' Palestinian focus

New series ‘Dark Net’ raises questions about tech’s hidden side
Many of us have a love/hate relationship with the role technology plays in our lives. We adore our mobile devices, our favorite apps, and websites, ...

Exhibit of Bill Cosby's Art Led to Ethical Questions
A Smithsonian exhibit funded by Bill Cosby and his wife that showcases art from their private collection led to questions about the cultural ...

Martin Shkreli Subpoenaed By Congress, ‘Pharma Bro’ To Answer Questions About Jacking Up Drug Prices
Martin Shkreli, the reviled hedge fund manager who earned the nickname “Pharma Bro” for buying the rights to a lifesaving drug, jacking up the ...