Connection cache to CICS via Direct Connect fails!

My Jaguar servers have a connection cache that establishes a connection to
DirectConnect and is used to pull data
from CICS via RPC's.

The problem we are having is this:

CICS is taken down at night for maintenance and the connection from
DirectConnect to CICS is broken.
Unfortunately, Jaguar thinks its connection cache is still valid.
 As soon as someone tries to use the connection cache to CICS, we start
having trouble. The IIS servers eventually
respond with "The server is too busy to handle your request". I suspect this
is due to worker threads are all used up
waiting for DirectConnect to respond with data from the connection that is
not valid. whew!

Is there a way, from direct connect, other than sanity check which does not
help with this problem, to force jaguar to refresh its
connection cache when the connection between DirectConnect and CICS is
broken. Surely someone has had this problem and
has a real nifty way of resolving the problem.

Jerry Leckness
Protective Life Ins. Co.

0
Jerry

Why does sanity check not work for you here?   You don't have a DB on
the other end, but maybe writing a CICS tran and mapping it to an RPC
to return a single column, single row of data mimicking a SELECT 1?

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:33:33 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
<jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:

>My Jaguar servers have a connection cache that establishes a connection to
>DirectConnect and is used to pull data
>from CICS via RPC's.
>
>The problem we are having is this:
>
>CICS is taken down at night for maintenance and the connection from
>DirectConnect to CICS is broken.
>Unfortunately, Jaguar thinks its connection cache is still valid.
> As soon as someone tries to use the connection cache to CICS, we start
>having trouble. The IIS servers eventually
>respond with "The server is too busy to handle your request". I suspect this
>is due to worker threads are all used up
>waiting for DirectConnect to respond with data from the connection that is
>not valid. whew!
>
>Is there a way, from direct connect, other than sanity check which does not
>help with this problem, to force jaguar to refresh its
>connection cache when the connection between DirectConnect and CICS is
>broken. Surely someone has had this problem and
>has a real nifty way of resolving the problem.
>
>Jerry Leckness
>Protective Life Ins. Co.

0
joneil
3/13/2001 6:43:10 PM
Doesn't sanity check run just before a cache is returned to the pool?

Our conection is lost while the connection is setting in the pool....

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> Why does sanity check not work for you here?   You don't have a DB on
> the other end, but maybe writing a CICS tran and mapping it to an RPC
> to return a single column, single row of data mimicking a SELECT 1?
>
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:33:33 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
> <jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:
>
> >My Jaguar servers have a connection cache that establishes a connection
> >DirectConnect and is used to pull data
> >from CICS via RPC's.
> >
> >The problem we are having is this:
> >
> >CICS is taken down at night for maintenance and the connection from
> >DirectConnect to CICS is broken.
> >Unfortunately, Jaguar thinks its connection cache is still valid.
> > As soon as someone tries to use the connection cache to CICS, we start
> >having trouble. The IIS servers eventually
> >respond with "The server is too busy to handle your request". I suspect
this
> >is due to worker threads are all used up
> >waiting for DirectConnect to respond with data from the connection that
is
> >not valid. whew!
> >
> >Is there a way, from direct connect, other than sanity check which does
not
> >help with this problem, to force jaguar to refresh its
> >connection cache when the connection between DirectConnect and CICS is
> >broken. Surely someone has had this problem and
> >has a real nifty way of resolving the problem.
> >
> >Jerry Leckness
> >Protective Life Ins. Co.

0
Jerry
3/13/2001 9:16:57 PM
No, the doc is wrong, it runs before you grab the connection from the
pool, which makes a tad more logical sense....  check the connection
when you need to use it, not when you're done with it...  I think the
doc error made it into the release notes for 3.6.1 and maybe 3.6.

There's still some interesting twists to this as the sanity check
generally is a SQL select statement which obviously won't work for
you.  That may or may not be an issue:  since the point is to
determine if the 'DBMS' server is running, the statement doesn't have
to be successful, it just has to return a code indicating that it made
it to the destination.

If you haven't given it a shot yet, I'd definitely try it out.

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:16:57 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
<jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:

>Doesn't sanity check run just before a cache is returned to the pool?
>
>Our conection is lost while the connection is setting in the pool....
>
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> Why does sanity check not work for you here?   You don't have a DB on
>> the other end, but maybe writing a CICS tran and mapping it to an RPC
>> to return a single column, single row of data mimicking a SELECT 1?
>>
>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:33:33 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
>> <jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:
>>
>> >My Jaguar servers have a connection cache that establishes a connection
>> >DirectConnect and is used to pull data
>> >from CICS via RPC's.
>> >
>> >The problem we are having is this:
>> >
>> >CICS is taken down at night for maintenance and the connection from
>> >DirectConnect to CICS is broken.
>> >Unfortunately, Jaguar thinks its connection cache is still valid.
>> > As soon as someone tries to use the connection cache to CICS, we start
>> >having trouble. The IIS servers eventually
>> >respond with "The server is too busy to handle your request". I suspect
>this
>> >is due to worker threads are all used up
>> >waiting for DirectConnect to respond with data from the connection that
>is
>> >not valid. whew!
>> >
>> >Is there a way, from direct connect, other than sanity check which does
>not
>> >help with this problem, to force jaguar to refresh its
>> >connection cache when the connection between DirectConnect and CICS is
>> >broken. Surely someone has had this problem and
>> >has a real nifty way of resolving the problem.
>> >
>> >Jerry Leckness
>> >Protective Life Ins. Co.

0
joneil
3/13/2001 9:37:51 PM
Lets make sure I undestand how this works.

Just before a connection cache is used, Jaguar will execute the select
statement that I put in the props file.

What happens if the select failed?
How does jaguar know it failed?

I'd like Jaguar to destroy the bad cache and then create another. Then,
Jaguar should try the new cache.
Is this how it works or do I have to do some additional coding?

Jerry

> No, the doc is wrong, it runs before you grab the connection from the
> pool, which makes a tad more logical sense....  check the connection
> when you need to use it, not when you're done with it...  I think the
> doc error made it into the release notes for 3.6.1 and maybe 3.6.
>
> There's still some interesting twists to this as the sanity check
> generally is a SQL select statement which obviously won't work for
> you.  That may or may not be an issue:  since the point is to
> determine if the 'DBMS' server is running, the statement doesn't have
> to be successful, it just has to return a code indicating that it made
> it to the destination.
>
> If you haven't given it a shot yet, I'd definitely try it out.
>

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:16:57 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
> <jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:
>
> >Doesn't sanity check run just before a cache is returned to the pool?
> >
> >Our conection is lost while the connection is setting in the pool....
> >
> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> >> Why does sanity check not work for you here?   You don't have a DB on
> >> the other end, but maybe writing a CICS tran and mapping it to an RPC
> >> to return a single column, single row of data mimicking a SELECT 1?

> >this
> >is

> >not

0
Jerry
3/13/2001 10:58:58 PM
That's pretty much correct.  When a connection is obtained from the
cache, the statement in the props file will be executed.  Typically,
it's something along the lines of "SELECT 1"  My understanding, and I
don't have the code in front of me, is that we will error check the
return code of issuing that statement and if that error code indicates
a communication failure the connection will be physically dropped and
re-established.  If the SQL statement itself fails, for instance you
do a SELECT abc FROM table1 and there is no table1, it shouldn't
matter because the return from the DB will indicate something along
the lines of a syntax error versus a communications/could not connect
type error.  There are also four different types of connection caches,
so the error checking on the sanity check may vary a little.  The
bottom line is that it should require NO additional coding on your
part.

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 16:58:58 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
<jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:

>Lets make sure I undestand how this works.
>
>Just before a connection cache is used, Jaguar will execute the select
>statement that I put in the props file.
>
>What happens if the select failed?
>How does jaguar know it failed?
>
>I'd like Jaguar to destroy the bad cache and then create another. Then,
>Jaguar should try the new cache.
>Is this how it works or do I have to do some additional coding?
>
>Jerry
>
>"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> No, the doc is wrong, it runs before you grab the connection from the
>> pool, which makes a tad more logical sense....  check the connection
>> when you need to use it, not when you're done with it...  I think the
>> doc error made it into the release notes for 3.6.1 and maybe 3.6.
>>
>> There's still some interesting twists to this as the sanity check
>> generally is a SQL select statement which obviously won't work for
>> you.  That may or may not be an issue:  since the point is to
>> determine if the 'DBMS' server is running, the statement doesn't have
>> to be successful, it just has to return a code indicating that it made
>> it to the destination.
>>
>> If you haven't given it a shot yet, I'd definitely try it out.
>>

>> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 15:16:57 -0600, "Jerry Leckness"
>> <jlecknes@protective.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Doesn't sanity check run just before a cache is returned to the pool?
>> >
>> >Our conection is lost while the connection is setting in the pool....
>> >
>> >"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message

>connection

>start
>suspect
>> >this
>that
>> >is

>does
>> >not

0
joneil

Connection Cache fails with Direct Connect to CICS
Our mainframe is shut down every night and every morning I have to restart Jaguar. I suspect that the connection cache to CICS through Direct Connect is failing when the mainframe goes down. Can Jaguar be configured so that it detects that the other end of a connection cache has gone away and then discard the connection cache? Jerry ...

Connection Cache fails ( nightly ) with Direct Connect to CICS
Our mainframe is shut down every night for maintenance and every morning I have to restart Jaguar because queries against the mainframe fails. ( HTML Datawindow Generation Falure ). After restarting Jaguar the queries work fine... I suspect that the connection cache to CICS through Direct Connect is failing when the mainframe goes down. Similar to the "DBProcess is dead" error we got when an active connection to SQL Server failed or when the network connection was lost. Can Jaguar be configured so that it detects that the other end of a connection cache has gone away and...

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
I am having issues while sending mails using the namespace System.Net.Mail.I keep getting the error as below:A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respondThe code works in other remote hosting servers. This error occurs only for this particular server infotechage.com. I found some articles which said increase the timeout, but that does not help me. What may be the reason for this? Please help. I have been working on this issue for the last 3 days but in v...

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
please can you help, when i do my request form i am getting an error. this happens when it is called over the web externally when i launch in visual stuido it works fine, i am local to the smtp server. it is an Exchange 2003 server. It has an address published, i can connect to port 25 with telnet to the dnsname.   I have many different snippets of code i have tried in a bid to get to the root, i think it cant authenticate. i have assigned 3 buttons to different subs for the mail send, noe of which work   A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly...

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
Background: I am running a e-commerce website which will call a remote payment gateway when customer check out. I have tested my web application at my local machine. Everything just works fine. I have no problem to connect my payment gateway  However, after I have upload all my application code to my hosting company, I cannot check out because my web application cannot connect to the payment gateway And get following errors: " A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected...

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
Hi All,  I have created a FTP client in ASP.net and it's working fine on my local system but when i deployed this code on Public IP(Remote server) it's not working.Code and Exceptions message are give below. public void Login() { if ( this.loggedin ) this.Close(); Debug.WriteLine("Opening connection to " + this.server, "FtpClient" ); IPAddress addr = null; IPEndPoint ep = null; try { this.clientSocket = new Socket( AddressFamily.InterNetwork, SocketType.Stream, ProtocolType.Tcp ); addr = Dns.Resolve(this.serve...

A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
I am running a e-commerce website which will call a remote payment gateway when customer check out. with ASP.NET(2.0) The Bank Give Me WebService and say to me to use post method for sending my information. My Transaction State Is Ok But when i call a method of Bank webservice  it give me error   _______My Sample Code ___________ double TA;WebServices.ReferencePayment PaymentWebService = new WebServices.ReferencePayment();string MID = "00229018-45987";string t_strRefNum="*********";double t_lAmount;protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) &n...

database connection failed with connection cache
I have a connection cache on jag 3.6.1 using com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.sybdrives. I am able to ping the connection in jag manager. My problem is in PowerJ 3.6.1. I setup a transaction object using the database wizard(very cool), change it to use a cache and even find the connection cache on the server. when I try to test the connection, I first select a profile jconnect5 and try the connection. I get this error: database connection failed jz006: cought a IoException java.net.connectionException connection refused, no further info. any ideas would be great! You can only...

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond IP:PORT"
 Hi all, "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond IP:Port"  this is the error i am geeting while sending an email using System.Net.Mail My Code here :MailMessage objMail;        SmtpClient objSMTP;        // Now create the email        objMail = new MailMessage();        objMail.To.Add...

VS2005 IDE: Add Web Refernece. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has fa
 I have published a web service, but cannot connect to it in VS2005.  The Web Methods display, but I then get this error:A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond I CAN connect to it outside of VS2005 from IE, Stylus Studio, etc.  /Bob C in GRR Hi  Bob, That might be a problem with proxy. Please try this solution: http://west-wind.com/weblog/posts/3871.aspx. Also you can refer to this article: http://msdn.microsoft...

not connected when I am connected

Connection Failed Activation of Network Connection Failed
I am running openSUSE 12.1 Beta 1 GNOME and I cannot get an internet connection. The wireless on my laptop says missing firmware which is fine. It says this on any distro and I can get it working. However, I can not get my wired connection to work. It keeps trying to connect and says "Connection Failed Activation of Network Connection Failed. I have seen other people have this problem online somewhere and they said they had to swap something from manual to auto, but I am not sure what or where. I know that this laptops ethernet card will work fine on here b/c I used ope...

Connection Failed in log although connection cache used pings successfully
Hi guys, anyone who has ever encountered this one? we have a running web app in one of our clients, and lately, to update their package, we sent the jar file and they imported it successfully, however, after that, srv log states: Connection Failed: SQLSTATE = S1000 [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] The stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on the server(they were supplied with SQL Server). Please contact your system administrator.;ODBC;ConnectString='DSN=ERICWEB-MMI;UID=sa;PWD=' SO I checked master database's stored views...

EAServer jdbc connectivity to DB2 via IBM DB2 Connect on Solaris
Has anybody seen this before :- I get the following error message in the EAServer Logs when trying to ping the connection cache :- Mar 30 16:55:00 2001: Warning - cache test received the following exception object while trying to load COM.ibm.db2.jdbc.app.DB2Driver : java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no db2jdbc in java.library.path Mar 30 16:55:00 2001: java.sql.SQLException: Java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no db2jdbc in java.library.path The environment details are :- 1. Solaris 2.8 2. IBM DB2 connect 7 (This is one of the newer releases). 3. EAServer 3.6.1 On Solaris. I...

Web resources about - Connection cache to CICS via Direct Connect fails! - sybase.easerver.general

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Miss Golden Globe role
requires showbiz connections
One constant about the Golden Globes (tonight at 8 on WHDH, Ch.

10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks
CNN 10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks CNN (CNN) Belgian police have arrested a 10th person in connection with last month's ...

Should auld connections be forgot...
This environmental testing company has strict data-retention requirements and they go beyond the data, reports a pilot fish on the scene. "Per ...