PB 8.0 and distributed powerbuilder

I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support distributed
powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you wish to
continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny this
rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm sure we
will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on their
original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on my question
though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed functionality
completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting the
non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big difference
between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
appreciated.

Graciously,

Shawn C. Pleska
Shawn
10/13/2000 2:59:15 PM
sybase.distributed 2187 articles. 0 followers. Follow

My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.

It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.

Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
fighting DPB.

Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it does.

Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java. You
will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.

HTH

--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.

"Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support distributed
> powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
wish to
> continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
this
> rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm sure
we
> will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
> disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
their
> original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on my
question
> though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
functionality
> completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting the
> non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
difference
> between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Graciously,
>
> Shawn C. Pleska

Dean
10/13/2000 2:50:13 PM
I don't work for Sybase. My guess is they will remove transport object.

--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.

"David R Rawheiser" <rawhide58@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Are Shared Objects considered part of Distributed Powerbuilder?
>
> Or are we just talking the Connection Object?
>
> In otherwords, will I have to re-write those client apps that I just
> finished that use SharedObjects to do multi-threading (ie. background SQL
> calls ) when upgrading to PB8?
>
> "Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> wrote in
message
> > My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
> >
> > It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
> >
> > Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true.
You
> > will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> > that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> > fighting DPB.
> >
> > Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
> does.
> >
> > Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
> You
> > will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --
> > Dean Jones TeamSybase
> > PowerTeam, Inc.
> > www.powerobjects.com
> >

> > "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> > > I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support
> distributed
> > > powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
> > wish to
> > > continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
> > this
> > > rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm
> sure
> > we
> > > will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
> > > disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
> > their
> > > original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on
my
> > question
> > > though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
> > functionality
> > > completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting
the
> > > non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
> > difference
> > > between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
> > > appreciated.
> > >
> > > Graciously,
> > >
> > > Shawn C. Pleska
> > > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Dean
10/13/2000 4:20:03 PM
Are Shared Objects considered part of Distributed Powerbuilder?

Or are we just talking the Connection Object?

In otherwords, will I have to re-write those client apps that I just
finished that use SharedObjects to do multi-threading (ie. background SQL
calls ) when upgrading to PB8?

"Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> wrote in message
> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>
> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>
> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> fighting DPB.
>
> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
does.

> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
You
> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Dean Jones TeamSybase
> PowerTeam, Inc.
> www.powerobjects.com
>

> "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> > I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support
distributed
> > powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
> wish to
> > continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
> this
> > rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm
sure
> we
> > will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
> > disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
> their
> > original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on my
> question
> > though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
> functionality
> > completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting the
> > non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
> difference
> > between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Graciously,
> >
> > Shawn C. Pleska
> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
David
10/13/2000 4:52:55 PM
I understand complying with industry standards but Sybase is almost penalizing
those companies that chose to go three tier during that time when Sybase was
pushing it (in the pre-EAServer days).  We actually have some very robust
functionality in our middle tier, functionality believe it or not that not even
EAServer has within it at this point.

For us, it's not an extreme issue because I believe everything was developed in
such a way that we should be able to convert over to an EAServer framework
without too much aggravation.  My only complaint would be that in a roundabout
way, it almost seems like Sybase is forcing anyone who wants to use this
technology to use their EAServer product, which comes with quite a high price
tag (although cheap when compared with competitor's products, still expensive).
That should concern anyone because it leaves everyone in a position of wondering
whether or not to forge ahead with something when Sybase could end up pulling
the rug out from underneath them.  Just seems to me like another event in a long
string of events that has scared and will continue to scare customers away from
using Sybase technology.  That's a shame when you consider that Sybase has some
quality products.

Thanks for the information!

Graciously,

Shawn C. Pleska

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:50:13 -0500,
 in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed
Dean Jones [TeamSybase] <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> wrote:
>My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>
>It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>
>Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
>will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
>that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
>fighting DPB.
>
>Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it does.
>
>Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java. You
>will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
>
>HTH
>
>--
>Dean Jones TeamSybase
>PowerTeam, Inc.
>www.powerobjects.com
>

>"Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
>> I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support distributed
>> powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
>wish to
>> continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
>this
>> rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm sure
>we
>> will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
>> disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
>their
>> original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on my
>question
>> though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
>functionality
>> completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting the
>> non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
>difference
>> between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Graciously,
>>
>> Shawn C. Pleska
>> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

Shawn
10/13/2000 6:46:26 PM
About saving money, I think not only developers are concerned. When you have
several hundreds of sites (stores), the deployment price of your technologic
choice is a really a big deal !!!

FX Liagre
fxliagre@hotmail.com
francois-xavier.liagre@lusis.fr

Dean Jones [TeamSybase] a �crit dans le message ...
My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.

It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.

Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
fighting DPB.

Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it does.

Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java. You
will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.

HTH

--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.
www.powerobjects.com

0
FX
10/16/2000 7:39:38 AM
Well, then maybe your only long-term option for developing an n-tier app
with
such a large number of deployments is rewriting it in Java and using one of
the
free application servers (Enhydra or JBoss). I've heard good things about
both of them
and both of them seem to be close to fully supporting the J2EE specs.

With PB, EAS is the only way to go, otherwise.
Jacek Furmankiewicz
STS Systems - http://www.stssystems.com
FX Liagre <francois-xavier.liagre@lusis.fr> wrote in message
> About saving money, I think not only developers are concerned. When you
have
> several hundreds of sites (stores), the deployment price of your
technologic
> choice is a really a big deal !!!
>
> FX Liagre
> fxliagre@hotmail.com
> francois-xavier.liagre@lusis.fr
>
> Dean Jones [TeamSybase] a �crit dans le message ...
> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>
> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>
> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> fighting DPB.
>
> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
does.

> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
You
> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Dean Jones TeamSybase
> PowerTeam, Inc.
> www.powerobjects.com

0
Jacek
10/16/2000 12:49:00 PM
Look into special OEM pricing.

--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.

"FX Liagre" <francois-xavier.liagre@lusis.fr> wrote in message
> About saving money, I think not only developers are concerned. When you
have
> several hundreds of sites (stores), the deployment price of your
technologic
> choice is a really a big deal !!!
>
> FX Liagre
> fxliagre@hotmail.com
> francois-xavier.liagre@lusis.fr
>
> Dean Jones [TeamSybase] a �crit dans le message ...
> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>
> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>
> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> fighting DPB.
>
> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
does.

> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
You
> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Dean Jones TeamSybase
> PowerTeam, Inc.
> www.powerobjects.com

0
Dean
10/17/2000 12:36:37 AM
David,

SharedObjects will not be removed.  The transport object will either
be removed or we will cause the Listen function to always produce an
error.

The connection object remains, of course, because that's how PB
communicates with EAServer.

Jim O'Neil
Sybase Technical Support

On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:52:55 -0500, "David R Rawheiser"
<rawhide58@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Are Shared Objects considered part of Distributed Powerbuilder?
>
>Or are we just talking the Connection Object?
>
>In otherwords, will I have to re-write those client apps that I just
>finished that use SharedObjects to do multi-threading (ie. background SQL
>calls ) when upgrading to PB8?
>
>"Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> wrote in message
>> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>>
>> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>>
>> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
>> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
>> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
>> fighting DPB.
>>
>> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
>does.
>>
>> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
>You
>> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Dean Jones TeamSybase
>> PowerTeam, Inc.
>> www.powerobjects.com
>>

>> "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
>> > I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support
>distributed
>> > powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
>> wish to
>> > continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
>> this
>> > rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm
>sure
>> we
>> > will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
>> > disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
>> their
>> > original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on my
>> question
>> > though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
>> functionality
>> > completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting the
>> > non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
>> difference
>> > between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
>> > appreciated.
>> >
>> > Graciously,
>> >
>> > Shawn C. Pleska
>> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
>> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
joneil
10/18/2000 1:35:47 PM
Why not just leave DBP in? It's just another string to PB's bow, and removing it
is just going to infuriate many people? Despite what Dean keeps saying, the cost
of moving a �150k, 30 site project to EAS is not feasible (> �200k? not
including re-development costs), not at any discount...

I'm sure the java community would love it if RMI were removed...

Paul.
--

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" wrote:

> David,
>
> SharedObjects will not be removed.  The transport object will either
> be removed or we will cause the Listen function to always produce an
> error.
>
> The connection object remains, of course, because that's how PB
> communicates with EAServer.
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Sybase Technical Support
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:52:55 -0500, "David R Rawheiser"
> <rawhide58@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Are Shared Objects considered part of Distributed Powerbuilder?
> >
> >Or are we just talking the Connection Object?
> >
> >In otherwords, will I have to re-write those client apps that I just
> >finished that use SharedObjects to do multi-threading (ie. background SQL
> >calls ) when upgrading to PB8?
> >
> >"Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> wrote in message
> >> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
> >>
> >> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
> >>
> >> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
> >> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> >> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> >> fighting DPB.
> >>
> >> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
> >does.
> >>
> >> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
> >You
> >> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dean Jones TeamSybase
> >> PowerTeam, Inc.
> >> www.powerobjects.com
> >>

> >> "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> >distributed
> >> wish to
> >> this
> >sure
> >> we
> >> their
> >> question
> >> functionality
> >> difference

0
Paul
10/18/2000 2:33:46 PM
Thank you, Thank You. That's what I wanted to hear.

I meant the Transport object - I don't do to much Stuff on the Server end in
DPB, so my brain must have skip a bit somewhere and used the term my fingers
type the most..

I do think there is a market and benefit for a Jaguar Lite Server (free or
sub-grand in cost).  No Fancy CORBA, Java, or Clustering - just something to
host PB Objects for PB Clients.

This could take the place of a Distributed Powerbuilder Server Application
(keeping some folks here happy), and also more importantly keep Sybase in
businesses where it is already deployed.

For what its worth - just my $0.02

"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil@sybase.com> wrote in message
> David,
>
> SharedObjects will not be removed.  The transport object will either
> be removed or we will cause the Listen function to always produce an
> error.
>
> The connection object remains, of course, because that's how PB
> communicates with EAServer.
>
> Jim O'Neil
> Sybase Technical Support
>
> On Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:52:55 -0500, "David R Rawheiser"
> <rawhide58@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Are Shared Objects considered part of Distributed Powerbuilder?
> >
> >Or are we just talking the Connection Object?
> >
> >In otherwords, will I have to re-write those client apps that I just
> >finished that use SharedObjects to do multi-threading (ie. background SQL
> >calls ) when upgrading to PB8?
> >
> >"Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> wrote in
message
> >> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
> >>
> >> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
> >>
> >> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true.
You
> >> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with
DPB
> >> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money
spend
> >> fighting DPB.
> >>
> >> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
> >does.
> >>
> >> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or
Java.
> >You
> >> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >>
> >> --
> >> Dean Jones TeamSybase
> >> PowerTeam, Inc.
> >> www.powerobjects.com
> >>

> >> "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> >distributed
> >> wish to
> >> this
> >sure
> >> we
> >> their
> >> question
> >> functionality
> >> difference

0
David
10/19/2000 9:08:48 PM
Users will loose confidence since DPB crashes?
_My_ confidence is no longer with Sybase if they are unable to fix memory
leaks
and other bugs but decide to drop support instead.
Lucky me that my new projects do not necessarily require implementation in
PB...

Marcus

"Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:KW#gNbSNAHA.267@forums.sybase.com...
> My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>
> It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>
> Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true. You
> will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> fighting DPB.
>
> Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
does.

> Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
You
> will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Dean Jones TeamSybase
> PowerTeam, Inc.
> www.powerobjects.com
>

> "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> > I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support
distributed
> > powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
> wish to
> > continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
> this
> > rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm
sure
> we
> > will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
> > disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
> their
> > original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on my
> question
> > though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
> functionality
> > completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting the
> > non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
> difference
> > between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Graciously,
> >
> > Shawn C. Pleska
> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Marcus
11/23/2000 10:15:06 PM
I don't use Sybase tools because I have to, I use them because I want to.

I  have been very successful with Sybase tools.
--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.

"Marcus Schommler" <so@bonn.iz-soz.de> wrote in message
> Users will loose confidence since DPB crashes?
> _My_ confidence is no longer with Sybase if they are unable to fix memory
> leaks
> and other bugs but decide to drop support instead.
> Lucky me that my new projects do not necessarily require implementation in
> PB...
>
> Marcus
>
> "Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:KW#gNbSNAHA.267@forums.sybase.com...
> > My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
> >
> > It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
> >
> > Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true.
You
> > will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
> > that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
> > fighting DPB.
> >
> > Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
> does.
> >
> > Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
> You
> > will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > --
> > Dean Jones TeamSybase
> > PowerTeam, Inc.
> > www.powerobjects.com
> >

> > "Shawn C. Pleska" <shawn_pleska@lepack.com> wrote in message
> > > I've heard rumors that Powerbuilder 8.0 will no longer support
> distributed
> > > powerbuilder but will instead require you to deploy to EAServer if you
> > wish to
> > > continue to utilize a 3-tier environment.  Can someone confirm or deny
> > this
> > > rumor.  We are beginning the process of researching EAServer and I'm
> sure
> > we
> > > will eventually move in that direction however it would be somewhat
> > > disheartening to find out that Sybase is outright pulling the plug on
> > their
> > > original 3-tier functionality.  I guess I should be more specific on
my
> > question
> > > though:  do they plan on pulling the non-EAServer distributed
> > functionality
> > > completely from Powerbuilder or do they just plan on not supporting
the
> > > non-EAServer based distributed functionality?  I guess there's a big
> > difference
> > > between the two.  Any news that anyone has to share would be greatly
> > > appreciated.
> > >
> > > Graciously,
> > >
> > > Shawn C. Pleska
> > > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> > > http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp

0
Dean
11/24/2000 1:47:54 AM
Well, you don't get the 'obsolete' messages when you migrate if that's
what your talking about, but the PB7 Release Notes does include the
following:

Distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB
===================================
Sybase's strategic product plan for PowerBuilder includes use of the
Sybase Enterprise Application Server (EAServer) in place of
distributed PowerBuilder for distributed and web applications. No new
functionality for distributed PowerBuilder and Web.PB has been added
to this release.

Please note that Version 7 will be the last version of PowerBuilder
which will incorporate distributed PowerBuilder functionality.  It is
recommended that you convert current distributed PowerBuilder
applications to EAServer applications using PowerBuilder 7, and that
all new web and distributed applications take advantage of the
distributed capabilities of EAServer.

More information about how Sybase can support your transition from
distributed PowerBuilder to EAServer can be found at the Sybase
Developer Network website at
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/appdev/appdev_home.stm.

Jim O'Neil
Sybase Technical Support

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 17:09:37 -0500, "Shawn C. Pleska"
> [...]

>need to decide where to spend their energies as well as dollars.  I don't doubt
>for a second that developing with EAServer will save you time, money, and many
>headaches.  Being a developer who has developed a three-tier application from
>scratch, I'm well aware of the nightmares and problems involved with developing
>said applications.  I'm also quite aware of the cost considerations that are
>factored in when choosing a development tool of choice.  Management doesn't
>always see the long term gains, just the bottom line totals on the invoices.  Of
>course, if Sybase continues to get the recognition for EAServer that it has
>started receiving as of late, then the cost will more often than not be
>justified.
>
>I think the only thing that disappoints me knowing that DPB will be
>decomissioned in PB 8.0 is the fact that Sybase didn't officially flag this as
>obsolete functionality in PB 7.0, functionality which would be removed in a
>later version.  Having developed in PB for the past 4 years, I'm a big fan of
>what Sybase has created in terms of the Powerbuilder Development tool but once
>again, as has been the case on several occasions, Sybase's customer service
>turns up to be lacking.  I'm sure I'll continue to use Powerbuilder for some
>time still, and I'm sure we'll take the EAServer route here shortly, but I still
>long for the days when Sybase finally steps up to the plate and provides
>information like this in advance of its implementation.
>
>Thanks for the information Dean!  You're always there when we need you.
>

>Graciously,
>
>Shawn
>

>On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:47:54 -0600,
> in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed
>Dean Jones [TeamSybase] <dean_no_spam@powerobjects.com> wrote:
>>I don't use Sybase tools because I have to, I use them because I want to.
>>
>>I  have been very successful with Sybase tools.
>>--
>>Dean Jones TeamSybase
>>PowerTeam, Inc.
>>www.powerobjects.com
>>

>>"Marcus Schommler" <so@bonn.iz-soz.de> wrote in message
>>> Users will loose confidence since DPB crashes?
>>> _My_ confidence is no longer with Sybase if they are unable to fix memory
>>> leaks
>>> and other bugs but decide to drop support instead.
>>> Lucky me that my new projects do not necessarily require implementation in
>>> PB...
>>>
>>> Marcus
>>>
>>> "Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> schrieb im
>>> Newsbeitrag news:KW#gNbSNAHA.267@forums.sybase.com...

>>You

>>> does.

>>> You

>>> distributed
>>> sure
>>my
>>the

>---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---

12/4/2000 10:09:29 PM
> [...]

>> Marcus
>>
>> "Dean Jones [TeamSybase]" <dean_no_spam_@powerobjects.com> schrieb im
>> Newsbeitrag news:KW#gNbSNAHA.267@forums.sybase.com...
>> > My understanding is they will remove distributed PowerBuilder in PB8.
>> >
>> > It's very important that Sybase stay with industry standards.
>> >
>> > Developers I know think they can save money using DPB. Just not true.
>You
>> > will spend soooo much time debugging and getting things to work with DPB
>> > that you could of purchased 4 copies of EAS for the time and money spend
>> > fighting DPB.
>> >
>> > Also the confidence of the users will be lost if DPB crashes. Which it
>> does.
>> >
>> > Start with EAS, learn CORBA and EJB. You can write in PB, C/C++ or Java.
>> You
>> > will love how fast you can develop and deploy applications.

12/4/2000 10:09:37 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the information.  I wasn't aware that it was in the Release Notes.
It still seems to me like the quietest possible way for Sybase to pull the plug
on it yet later be able to say after the fact "Well, it was in the release
notes".  Simply put, this is something that should have been put in the
"obsolete" message at migration time.

This is partly my case in point: how is Sybase ever going to create a dedicated
group of followers (developers, analysts, etc) when their customer service just
doesn't measure up.  I know people that are die-hards when it comes to their
development tools (VB, Delphi, etc) yet I know no one that would swear up and
down by PB.

Oh well, I'll continue to be a loyal PB developer/anaylst if possible and I'm
sure that EAServer will be great if everything of what I've seen holds true, but
I'll always have reservations about recommending to anyone the use of Sybase
tools for their development efforts.

Thanks!

Shawn

On Mon, 04 Dec 2000 22:09:29 GMT,

12/5/2000 2:35:36 PM
I'm a diehard PB fan. <G>

Now I'm a diehard EAS fan!

Try it... you'll like it! <G>

--

> [...]
but once
> >>again, as has been the case on several occasions, Sybase's customer
service
> >>turns up to be lacking.  I'm sure I'll continue to use Powerbuilder for
some
> >>time still, and I'm sure we'll take the EAServer route here shortly, but
> still
> >>long for the days when Sybase finally steps up to the plate and provides
> >>information like this in advance of its implementation.
> >>
> >>Thanks for the information Dean!  You're always there when we need you.
> >>

> >>Graciously,
> >>
> >>Shawn
> >>

> >>On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 19:47:54 -0600,
> >> in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.distributed

PB8.

Java.

I'm

> >>---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---

12/5/2000 5:38:19 PM
.... and that's coming from the horse's mouth -- Dean is probably one of the
people with a significant investment in DPB technologies, having developed
and sold the DPBServer and DPBConsole products.

We've got to move on with the times at some point. You'll be glad you did
once you start working with EAserver.

--
<hopethishelps />
Roy Kiesler [TeamSybase]

> [...]
> service
> some
> > still

> to.

> memory
> implementation in

> PB8.

> true.
> with DPB
> spend

Which
> it

> Java.

> if you
> deny
> I'm
> somewhat
> plug on
> on
> supporting
> big
> greatly

> > ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---

Roy
12/5/2000 6:05:46 PM
Hi folks,

I'm a PowerBuilder developper from the very first hour, and I've used almost
every centimeter ;-) of PowerBuilder has to offer. I'm a big fan of EAServer
too, but I consider that you can't just replace Distributed PowerBuilder
with EAS. I see two main reasons for that :

    1) The cost. Somebody talked in this thread about a DPB application
which is deployed in several stores. That's a big change in a budget, don't
you think ? Should I say to my customer when they want to migrate to PB8
that they have to pay for EAServer ?

    2) EAServer do not offer "server push" which DPB offers. What does
Sybase have to say to companies that uses this feature ?

"Server Push" is only a technical issue that Sybase can fix in the future.
But, I think Sybase should consider to provide a real small business
EAServer (I know it exists, but it's too expensive).

Marc Bessiere
bessiere@cybercable.fr

0
Marc
12/21/2000 10:06:15 AM
"Marc Bessi�re [CStech]" wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a PowerBuilder developper from the very first hour, and I've used almost
> every centimeter ;-) of PowerBuilder has to offer. I'm a big fan of EAServer
> too, but I consider that you can't just replace Distributed PowerBuilder
> with EAS. I see two main reasons for that :

I agree with you, although I don't understand how DPB solutions can be
reliably deployed taking into account all those memory leaks in PB
multithreading model. But that's only a technical issue.

From the marketing point of view I agree that EAServer is not a
replacement for DPB, although guys from big companies tend to say the
contrary. There's a considerable market segment of small businesses that
are not eager to spend tens of thousands for a standard application server.
Don't forget that EAServer still stands for *Enterprise* Application Server,
not a Small-Business Application Server. DPB could be a Small-Business
Application Server, if not so buggy.

But dropping DPB (instead of improving it) is a marketing decision that
Sybase has made, and we, PB developers, must adapt to it (i.e., switch
over to other technologies).

Good luck,

�llar Kask
Trillian
ph. +372 7409230

0
iso
12/22/2000 11:22:24 AM
your first argument is THE MOST ANNOYING one and nothing helps you
over it. Not any of the pro - EAS arguments discussed in this thread!

It is just all about greediness!

Michael

"Marc Bessi�re [CStech]" <bessiere@cstech.fr> wrote in message
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm a PowerBuilder developper from the very first hour, and I've used
almost
> every centimeter ;-) of PowerBuilder has to offer. I'm a big fan of
EAServer
> too, but I consider that you can't just replace Distributed PowerBuilder
> with EAS. I see two main reasons for that :
>
>     1) The cost. Somebody talked in this thread about a DPB application
> which is deployed in several stores. That's a big change in a budget,
don't
> you think ? Should I say to my customer when they want to migrate to PB8
> that they have to pay for EAServer ?
>
>     2) EAServer do not offer "server push" which DPB offers. What does
> Sybase have to say to companies that uses this feature ?
>
> "Server Push" is only a technical issue that Sybase can fix in the future.
> But, I think Sybase should consider to provide a real small business
> EAServer (I know it exists, but it's too expensive).
>
> Marc Bessiere
> bessiere@cybercable.fr

0
Michael
12/22/2000 5:44:47 PM
It has nothing to do with greediness. It's simply you have to be
competitive.

--
Dean Jones TeamSybase
PowerTeam, Inc.

"Michael Keppler" <michael_keppler@icon-gmbh.de> wrote in message
> your first argument is THE MOST ANNOYING one and nothing helps you
> over it. Not any of the pro - EAS arguments discussed in this thread!
>
> It is just all about greediness!
>
> Michael
>

> "Marc Bessi�re [CStech]" <bessiere@cstech.fr> wrote in message
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > I'm a PowerBuilder developper from the very first hour, and I've used
> almost
> > every centimeter ;-) of PowerBuilder has to offer. I'm a big fan of
> EAServer
> > too, but I consider that you can't just replace Distributed PowerBuilder
> > with EAS. I see two main reasons for that :
> >
> >     1) The cost. Somebody talked in this thread about a DPB application
> > which is deployed in several stores. That's a big change in a budget,
> don't
> > you think ? Should I say to my customer when they want to migrate to PB8
> > that they have to pay for EAServer ?
> >
> >     2) EAServer do not offer "server push" which DPB offers. What does
> > Sybase have to say to companies that uses this feature ?
> >
> > "Server Push" is only a technical issue that Sybase can fix in the
future.
> > But, I think Sybase should consider to provide a real small business
> > EAServer (I know it exists, but it's too expensive).
> >
> > Marc Bessiere
> > bessiere@cybercable.fr

0
Dean
12/22/2000 7:36:55 PM
This has been discussed many times before. But let's bet it to death one more
time.

1) Cost - If you are using a DPB v6.x application (which most DPB apps I've seen
were built with), then there's a license cost for deploying that DPB server (and
if you're not paying that, well then that's just between you and you. I don't
want to know about it). That license cost is <just about> equivalent to the cost
of EAServer Small Business edition. So the difference in cost being passed on to
your customer is practically negligible. DPB for PB7 was reduced to no-cost in
part becuase no future development would be done with it and it would eventually
go away. Now, for the benefit that you get from EAServer, especially in terms of
an industry standard, robust, scalable solution, how much is that worth to you?
(And I'm not even mentioning the various component models supported by
EAServer).

2) Server Push is a technique, not a feature, and one that is quite easily
accomplished using EAServer and a documented Design Pattern.

These arguments are all old. As an ex-DPB'er myself, I will tell you that the
cost differential ends up being virtually nothing, and your clients will thank
you down the road for a better solution. And one of my clients has developed and
is marketing an EAServer OEM solution, so I suggest talking to your Sybase sales
rep if you sell a product to clients that includes EAServer.

regards,
Bill

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Good Links to know, good places to go:

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
Find things like:
-- EAServer 3.6 maintenance release is available
-- PowerBuilder C3 maintenance release available (build 8046)
-- Components, White papers, articles and more
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com

Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill
12/27/2000 2:54:53 PM
Just one remark :
> That license cost is <just about> equivalent to the cost
> of EAServer Small Business edition. So the difference in cost being passed
on to
> your customer is practically negligible.

It's true *only* for new customers, not for the one that are allready
installed (and that have allready paid the licences)...

So your first argument (IMHO) is not correct when you speak about customer
support (and migration)...

--
FX Liagre

fx.liagre@lusis.fr
fxliagre@hotmail.com

0
FX
12/27/2000 4:13:35 PM
Have you checked to find out what the license cost would be to *upgrade* from
DPB to EAServer?

--
Bill Green[TeamSybase]
Good Links to know, good places to go:

Developer stuff on my.sybase.com
Find things like:
-- EAServer 3.6 maintenance release is available
-- PowerBuilder C3 maintenance release available (build 8046)
-- Components, White papers, articles and more
-- Web DataWindow Article Series (Author: Larry Cermak)
-- Jaguar Agent for Web Servers (HTTP access to PB components)

PFC Guide - http://www.pfcguide.com

Power3 - Custom Training  - http://www.power3.com
Bill Green @ Power3 - wgreen@power3.com

Bill
12/27/2000 4:22:38 PM
I'll meet a Sybase representative next week...
.... he/she 'll have to convince me that "not a lot" if equal or cheaper that
"nothing" (except the support contract, of course)

;-))

Bill Green[TeamSybase] <bill.green@teamsybase.com> a �crit dans le message :
3A4A174D.A2B9D121@teamsybase.com...