Using Existing Powerbuilder Reports in DataWindow.Net

I have a large number of reports which were built using
Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple way
to display these reports (and there associated criteria
datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net application
architecture. I have found lots of documentation about how
to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to create new reports, but I
haven't found much about porting exisitng Powerbuilder
Reports. Can anyone point me in the right direction
regarding this? In general, I would rather not have to
create a brand new Web application for each of the existing
reports (there are hundreds of them). The architecture I
envision would have a single ASP.NET application which
displays the reports by selecting from a list of .pbl files.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Al
0
Al

What I did was created the PBL file in the project with the
same name. Then in the windows explorer I over-write the new
PBL with the old PBL. Once that is finished I Migrate the
whole application.

I am sure there is an easier way but this way worked for me

> I have a large number of reports which were built using
> Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple
> way to display these reports (and there associated
> criteria datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net
> application architecture. I have found lots of
> documentation about how to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to
> create new reports, but I haven't found much about porting
> exisitng Powerbuilder Reports. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction regarding this? In general, I would rather
> not have to create a brand new Web application for each of
> the existing reports (there are hundreds of them). The
> architecture I envision would have a single ASP.NET
> application which displays the reports by selecting from a
> list of .pbl files. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Al
0
Jim
8/8/2005 3:46:20 PM
If you're actively updating that 6.5 app, you'll want to migrate to PB10.
DataWindow.Net and PB10 use the same DataWindow format, so the PBLs could be
used by both applications at that point.

On 8 Aug 2005 08:34:18 -0700,
 in sybase.public.datawindow.net
 <Al> wrote:
>I have a large number of reports which were built using
>Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple way
>to display these reports (and there associated criteria
>datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net application
>architecture. I have found lots of documentation about how
>to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to create new reports, but I
>haven't found much about porting exisitng Powerbuilder
>Reports. Can anyone point me in the right direction
>regarding this? In general, I would rather not have to
>create a brand new Web application for each of the existing
>reports (there are hundreds of them). The architecture I
>envision would have a single ASP.NET application which
>displays the reports by selecting from a list of .pbl files.
>Thanks in advance for any help.
>
>Al
0
Bruce
8/8/2005 3:51:39 PM
Migrating the entire PowerBuilder app is not an option at
this point.

Al
0
Al
8/8/2005 3:55:41 PM
We will be able to update the .pbl to a current version
using the datawindow.net designer. The problem I am running
into is this... My current understanding is that I need to
create unique Datawindow objects (a unique class file) in an
asp.NET application  for each report. Therefore, each time I
create a new report in powerbuilder, I have to update and
recompile the asp.net application. Given the large number of
existing and future reports, this is not a very good idea.

 > If you're actively updating that 6.5 app, you'll want to
> migrate to PB10. DataWindow.Net and PB10 use the same
> DataWindow format, so the PBLs could be used by both
> applications at that point.
>
> On 8 Aug 2005 08:34:18 -0700,
>  in sybase.public.datawindow.net
>  <Al> wrote:
> >I have a large number of reports which were built using
> >Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple
> way >to display these reports (and there associated
> criteria >datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net
> application >architecture. I have found lots of
> documentation about how >to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to
> create new reports, but I >haven't found much about
> porting exisitng Powerbuilder >Reports. Can anyone point
> me in the right direction >regarding this? In general, I
> would rather not have to >create a brand new Web
> application for each of the existing >reports (there are
> hundreds of them). The architecture I >envision would have
> a single ASP.NET application which >displays the reports
> by selecting from a list of .pbl files. >Thanks in advance
> for any help. >
> >Al
0
Al
8/8/2005 4:00:32 PM
You are only making copies of the 6.5 PBLs so you can
migrate the copies and leave the orginal alone.

> Migrating the entire PowerBuilder app is not an option at
> this point.
>
> Al
0
Jim
8/8/2005 4:31:55 PM
That is not correct. As long as your DataWindows are in the
PowerBuilder 10 format you can use them in your ASP .NET application.
You don't need to recompile the ASP .NET application every time you
create a new DataWindow. As long as the .pbls that the DataWindows
reside in are referenced in the project you should be fine.

TechWave 2005!
www.sybase.com/techwave

Download an evaluation version of DataWindow .NET 1.5 Today!:
www.sybase.com/datawindow.net

DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange:
http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com

PowerBuilder 10.5 Beta available August 15th:
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1036811

On 8 Aug 2005 09:00:32 -0700, Al wrote:

>We will be able to update the .pbl to a current version
>using the datawindow.net designer. The problem I am running
>into is this... My current understanding is that I need to
>create unique Datawindow objects (a unique class file) in an
>asp.NET application  for each report. Therefore, each time I
>create a new report in powerbuilder, I have to update and
>recompile the asp.net application. Given the large number of
>existing and future reports, this is not a very good idea.
>
> > If you're actively updating that 6.5 app, you'll want to
>> migrate to PB10. DataWindow.Net and PB10 use the same
>> DataWindow format, so the PBLs could be used by both
>> applications at that point.
>>
>> On 8 Aug 2005 08:34:18 -0700,
>>  in sybase.public.datawindow.net
>>  <Al> wrote:
>> >I have a large number of reports which were built using
>> >Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple
>> way >to display these reports (and there associated
>> criteria >datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net
>> application >architecture. I have found lots of
>> documentation about how >to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to
>> create new reports, but I >haven't found much about
>> porting exisitng Powerbuilder >Reports. Can anyone point
>> me in the right direction >regarding this? In general, I
>> would rather not have to >create a brand new Web
>> application for each of the existing >reports (there are
>> hundreds of them). The architecture I >envision would have
>> a single ASP.NET application which >displays the reports
>> by selecting from a list of .pbl files. >Thanks in advance
>> for any help. >
>> >Al

0
dfish
8/8/2005 5:01:06 PM
Your understanding is incorrect.  The DataWindow objects must be in
PB10 format to work with DataWindow.NET; however, you don't have to
create a new ASP.NET form for each datawindow.  If you simply have a
report viewer application, it's very likely you could create a single
ASP.NET page with a single WebdataWindowControl that could display any
of the reports you have available.  You'd have to have some mechanism
to pass in the library name, datawindow object name, and retrieval
arguments, but beyond that the display logic for the datawindows would
be identical.

On 8 Aug 2005 09:00:32 -0700, Al wrote:

>We will be able to update the .pbl to a current version
>using the datawindow.net designer. The problem I am running
>into is this... My current understanding is that I need to
>create unique Datawindow objects (a unique class file) in an
>asp.NET application  for each report. Therefore, each time I
>create a new report in powerbuilder, I have to update and
>recompile the asp.net application. Given the large number of
>existing and future reports, this is not a very good idea.
>
> > If you're actively updating that 6.5 app, you'll want to
>> migrate to PB10. DataWindow.Net and PB10 use the same
>> DataWindow format, so the PBLs could be used by both
>> applications at that point.
>>
>> On 8 Aug 2005 08:34:18 -0700,
>>  in sybase.public.datawindow.net
>>  <Al> wrote:
>> >I have a large number of reports which were built using
>> >Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple
>> way >to display these reports (and there associated
>> criteria >datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net
>> application >architecture. I have found lots of
>> documentation about how >to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to
>> create new reports, but I >haven't found much about
>> porting exisitng Powerbuilder >Reports. Can anyone point
>> me in the right direction >regarding this? In general, I
>> would rather not have to >create a brand new Web
>> application for each of the existing >reports (there are
>> hundreds of them). The architecture I >envision would have
>> a single ASP.NET application which >displays the reports
>> by selecting from a list of .pbl files. >Thanks in advance
>> for any help. >
>> >Al

0
Jim
8/8/2005 9:11:20 PM
Al,

I'm in the same situation ( 6.5 moving to 10 ).  I can confirm that the
coding portion of ASP.NET is independent of the particular datawindow
being displayed.  There are two properties of the Webdatawindow which
you (and me) should be able to set dynamically. One is the name of the
PBL, the other property is the name of the datawindow definition within
the library.   Same code fits all, especially since you only have
read-only reports.

To be honest, I'm at the very beginning of the process, but the start is
promising. I have yet to test how my good old datawindows (I got 60 of
them) come up in an HTML browser. Please keep me posted - do you get a
proper look and feel for all your reports ?

Andrew

Al wrote:

>We will be able to update the .pbl to a current version
>using the datawindow.net designer. The problem I am running
>into is this... My current understanding is that I need to
>create unique Datawindow objects (a unique class file) in an
>asp.NET application  for each report. Therefore, each time I
>create a new report in powerbuilder, I have to update and
>recompile the asp.net application. Given the large number of
>existing and future reports, this is not a very good idea.
>
> > If you're actively updating that 6.5 app, you'll want to
>

>>migrate to PB10. DataWindow.Net and PB10 use the same
>>DataWindow format, so the PBLs could be used by both
>>applications at that point.
>>
>>On 8 Aug 2005 08:34:18 -0700,
>> in sybase.public.datawindow.net
>> <Al> wrote:
>>

>>>I have a large number of reports which were built using
>>>Powerbuilder 6.5. I would like to come up with a simple
>>>

>>way >to display these reports (and there associated
>>criteria >datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net
>>application >architecture. I have found lots of
>>documentation about how >to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to
>>create new reports, but I >haven't found much about
>>porting exisitng Powerbuilder >Reports. Can anyone point
>>me in the right direction >regarding this? In general, I
>>would rather not have to >create a brand new Web
>>application for each of the existing >reports (there are
>>hundreds of them). The architecture I >envision would have
>>a single ASP.NET application which >displays the reports
>>by selecting from a list of .pbl files. >Thanks in advance
>>for any help. >
>>

>>>Al

0
Andrew
8/10/2005 9:58:23 AM
Hi Andrew,

Its been a long time since I've talked with you. Good to see your name
on this newsgroup!

You may want to try the XHTML rendering format for your DataWindows,
especially if you have any composite or nested reports as the HTML
rendering format doesn't support those two presentation styles. N-Up
style doesn't currently render correctly in the browser, but
engineering is working on that. The other styles (free form, tabular,
grid, cross tab) get rendered quite well in the browser. Keep us
posted on your progress.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

TechWave 2005!
www.sybase.com/techwave

Download an evaluation version of DataWindow .NET 1.5 Today!:
www.sybase.com/datawindow.net

DataWindow.NET code examples available on CodeXchange:
http://datawindownet.codexchange.sybase.com

PowerBuilder 10.5 Beta available August 15th:
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1036811

On 10 Aug 2005 02:58:23 -0700, Andrew Schonberger
<andrewsc@iNOSPAM.nternode.on.net> wrote:

>Al,
>
>I'm in the same situation ( 6.5 moving to 10 ).  I can confirm that the
>coding portion of ASP.NET is independent of the particular datawindow
>being displayed.  There are two properties of the Webdatawindow which
>you (and me) should be able to set dynamically. One is the name of the
>PBL, the other property is the name of the datawindow definition within
>the library.   Same code fits all, especially since you only have
>read-only reports.
>
>To be honest, I'm at the very beginning of the process, but the start is
>promising. I have yet to test how my good old datawindows (I got 60 of
>them) come up in an HTML browser. Please keep me posted - do you get a
>proper look and feel for all your reports ?
>
>Andrew
>
>Al wrote:
>
>>We will be able to update the .pbl to a current version
>>using the datawindow.net designer. The problem I am running
>>into is this... My current understanding is that I need to
>>create unique Datawindow objects (a unique class file) in an
>>asp.NET application  for each report. Therefore, each time I
>>create a new report in powerbuilder, I have to update and
>>recompile the asp.net application. Given the large number of
>>existing and future reports, this is not a very good idea.
>>
>> > If you're actively updating that 6.5 app, you'll want to
>>

>>>migrate to PB10. DataWindow.Net and PB10 use the same
>>>DataWindow format, so the PBLs could be used by both
>>>applications at that point.
>>>
>>>On 8 Aug 2005 08:34:18 -0700,
>>> in sybase.public.datawindow.net

>>>way >to display these reports (and there associated
>>>criteria >datawindows) on the web using an ASP.Net
>>>application >architecture. I have found lots of
>>>documentation about how >to use DataWindow.NET 1.5 to
>>>create new reports, but I >haven't found much about
>>>porting exisitng Powerbuilder >Reports. Can anyone point
>>>me in the right direction >regarding this? In general, I
>>>would rather not have to >create a brand new Web
>>>application for each of the existing >reports (there are
>>>hundreds of them). The architecture I >envision would have
>>>a single ASP.NET application which >displays the reports
>>>by selecting from a list of .pbl files. >Thanks in advance
>>>for any help. >

0
dfish

DataWindow.NET : issue using external datawindow
Hello, I created an external datawindow with 3 columns, but I have error messages when I want to use it in my .NET application : When I want to insert rows, I get the message : "InsertRow was called when no DataWindow object was attached." I set in design mode my pbl library and also the datawindow name I want to use. I also tried to set it dynamically in the code, but it changes nothing. I'm sure SQLCA isn't useful for this kind of DataWindow, but I also tried to set it and I get the message "SetTransaction was called when no DataWindow object was att...

Some plan for a .NET Pocket Powerbuilder? And for a .NET Compact DataWindow?
Jim O'Neal of Team Sybase respond to my request on DW.Net newsgroup that there is no plan for DataWindow.Net for Compact .Net Framework. Datawindow.Net is still unmanaged code and .Net Compact Framwork does not support unmanaged code. PocketPowerBuilder is for Pocket PC. I woner why would I care for its .Net version! Datawindow (not DW.Net) of Pocket PB works on Pocket PC with Pocket PowerBuilder. Regards. ...

DataWindow.NET : issue using external datawindow #2
Hello, I created an external datawindow with 3 columns, but I have error messages when I want to use it in my VB.NET application : When I want to insert rows, I get the message : "InsertRow was called when no DataWindow object was attached." I set in design mode my pbl library and also the datawindow name I want to use. I also tried to set it dynamically in the code, but it changes nothing (I can see the DataWindow in design mode). I'm sure SQLCA isn't useful for this kind of DataWindow, but I also tried to set it and I get the message "SetTransaction ...

Using datawindow.net as an application reporting solution
Hi, Having grown rather frustrated with Crystal's lack of integration capabilities, I'm taking a serious look at DataWindow.Net for reporting. Having spent some time with the eval copy of DataWindow.Net 1.0, I have the following questions: - In order to distribute reporting functionality, my application serves the report files directly out of the database. Reports can include child datawindows (sub-reports and drop-down lists). Because of this, it isn't enough to simply store the datawindow syntax for a datawindow in the database and write it into a DatawindowCont...

Datawindow.Net in ASP.Net
It is a Power builder to ASP.Net migration project. As per my analysis, the PBL should be mapped to the datawindow.net control to get the functionality of the existing PB datawindow and can convert the PB code to .net code. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I would like to know whether we can use datawindow.net control without PBL just like datagrid. In datagrid we could bind the dataset as a datasource and populate the records. Is this possible using datawindow.net? Datawindow is nothing but it stores queries/stored proecedures. Incase i want to change the queries after mi...

ado.net or/and datawindow.net
Hi, Can datawindow.net work with Sybase's ado.net or are they not compatible with each other. We have two separate groups of developers, one group develops web apps using ASE as the back end for the data, so they use a combination of Visual Studio ..NET and Sybase's ado.net to do their work. We have another group that develops client/server apps using Powerbuilder, but since 80% of their work is in writting reports using Powerbuilder, I was wondering if they could use a combination of datawindow.net and ado.net to put make these reports available on the web through ...

Using Datawindow .NET
Hi there We want to use Datawindow .NET in my company but i have to tell them why we must using datawindow .net with visual studio 2005 so can any one send me or tell me where i get the white paper or any thing that tell my what is datawindow why we should using it what is the feature for it my best regards Ahmad Alhowaimel http://www.sybase.com/products/modelingdevelopment/datawindownet Paul Horan[Sybase] <Ahmad Alhowaimel> wrote in message news:490fe6aa.6ab3.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi there > We want to use Datawindow .NET in my company but i have to >...

How do I deploy ASP.NET that have datawindow.net ?
I have been ask many question but never have response. T_T I follow the programmer's guide and use automatic tools to generate .MSI installer. for copying the dll to the server. i did that. and restart the server. when i browse the web, its a good think no error is prompted (like before i install the .MSI). but instead, now its loading forever. just like its loading something that is so big. i wait for 30min. yet nothing happen. what is the problem actually ? thank you, folks. ...

PB Datawindow to DataWindow .Net Migration
We have a datawindows in PB 9 and PB 11 also. Now we are planing move to .Net Applications. We are generating all PB objects in to .Net(C#) except data windows. Now we are planing to move PB datawindows to DataWindow .Net 2.5. Can you please explaing the way to convert/migrate PB Datawindows to DataWindow .Net 2.5. Advanced thanks for your suggesstions. Thank You, Chaithu Start the Datawindow Designer applet and create a new Project. Then use the Import... feature to import the datawindow source .SRD files. These can be exported from PowerBuilder. -- Paul Horan[Sybase] ...

DataWindow .NET for Windows CE .NET
It is possible to use DataWindow .NET for Windows CE .NET? When I create a Smart Device Application project for Visual C#, I can't see the Datawindow .NET controls (DW control, Datastore,...). ...

Converting datawindow objects to datawindow .Net
Hi, Can someone please list the various methods we can use to convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net object ? Thanks, Sanjay I'm lost. There's no conversion necessary. PB and DW.Net use the same datawindow objects. On 19 Feb 2007 17:46:15 -0800, Converting wrote: >Hi, > >Can someone please list the various methods we can use to >convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net >object ? > >Thanks, > >Sanjay Thanks Bruce. I probably confused you but good to know that we can modify the datawin...

DataWindow.NET
I'm using DataWindow.NET 1.5.1 9004 on a Windows XP Professional SP 2 machine with the latest Microsoft Update patches. The release notes indicate that change request 385532 is corrected. However, if I configure my computer to use a Windows XP theme the border does not render as expected; a blue bordered box is displayed. If I configure my computer to use a Windows Classic theme the border is rendered as expected. Is there something else I need to do to get the datawindow object column borders to render correctly when using a Windows XP theme? Ken Are you using 3D Lower...

Web resources about - Using Existing Powerbuilder Reports in DataWindow.Net - sybase.datawindow.net

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles