Clickonce deployment anyone (DW.NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0)?

I saw someone had posted a question about this already, and there were no
previous version of DW.NET 1.5 + VS2003 when attempting to deploy
applications via a web server. So many problems that we eventually decided
to run off a network drive (which is OK if your user base doesn't roam
around the country). Anyway, we gave up on DW.NET, and started to use the
datagrid control.

Since then, much has changed. Our development team now has VS2005
professional and may start using DW.NET 2.0 (pending my investigations). So
here is the situation so far:

VS2005 has an extremely easy to use project deployment/publishing tool. Our
current set of ClickOnce apps work without problems (as you can expect).

When I place a datawindow control on a winform, and deploy it to a web
server, it works only if the Sybase DW product has been installed (I can
sort of see why). My questions:

1) Is there a way to auto deploy a winform app that has a datawindow on it
so that it auto installs/auto registers any libraries it may need?
2) Are there any tips for how to deploy click once applications? (eg: advice
on library deployment, and path to PBL's/PBD's from a click once app)
3) Has anyone actually done this? Is it even possible? Is there any
doco/steps/how-tos on this? The Sybase DW.NET help doesn't mention this
deployment style specifically.

0
JC

I imagine the toughest part would be the unmanaged code:

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.help.dwnet_2.0.dwprgnet/html/dwprgnet/BABJIEHA.htm

You would need to create a directory on the client to install the
files in and an environmental variable that points to that location.

On 17 Aug 2006 00:46:54 -0700, "JC" <jc@spam.me.not> wrote:

>I saw someone had posted a question about this already, and there were no
>previous version of DW.NET 1.5 + VS2003 when attempting to deploy
>applications via a web server. So many problems that we eventually decided
>to run off a network drive (which is OK if your user base doesn't roam
>around the country). Anyway, we gave up on DW.NET, and started to use the
>datagrid control.
>
>Since then, much has changed. Our development team now has VS2005
>professional and may start using DW.NET 2.0 (pending my investigations). So
>here is the situation so far:
>
>VS2005 has an extremely easy to use project deployment/publishing tool. Our
>current set of ClickOnce apps work without problems (as you can expect).
>
>When I place a datawindow control on a winform, and deploy it to a web
>server, it works only if the Sybase DW product has been installed (I can
>sort of see why). My questions:
>
>1) Is there a way to auto deploy a winform app that has a datawindow on it
>so that it auto installs/auto registers any libraries it may need?
>2) Are there any tips for how to deploy click once applications? (eg: advice
>on library deployment, and path to PBL's/PBD's from a click once app)
>3) Has anyone actually done this? Is it even possible? Is there any
>doco/steps/how-tos on this? The Sybase DW.NET help doesn't mention this
>deployment style specifically.

0
Bruce
8/17/2006 1:18:25 PM
Question...

during the 'click once' process, are you able to install or run msi files on
the client machine... the reason I ask is, I just recently released an
application into 'a test' production - 6 beta users - and the install
process was this...

- check for .net 2 frame work....if not there, run the 2.0 framework update.

- run the msi for registring the Sybase datawindow control...

- copy the exe's and pbl's to the application's folder...

we released it to 6 test users work stations...the above was a manual
process but completed by the user.

now I am tasked to automate this ... which is not an issue ... as the Sybase
control has an MSI file that runs and the user simply clicks clicks clicks
done and the dw control is there ... and the user only has to do this
once...

now I am free to push out updates to the clients without requiring them to
even know...simple copy new program and pbl's to application folder ...done.

So, if the click once can check for installed apps (.net 2 framework and /
or the Sybase control) and if the click once can run other exe's and msi's
during the deployment, you should be able to do this...

If not, roll your own click-once...for the initial install...then rely on
MS's click once to update your application files and pbl's ...

Jeff.

"JC" <jc@spam.me.not> wrote in message news:44e41c9e@forums-2-dub...
>I saw someone had posted a question about this already, and there were no
>previous version of DW.NET 1.5 + VS2003 when attempting to deploy
>applications via a web server. So many problems that we eventually decided
>to run off a network drive (which is OK if your user base doesn't roam
>around the country). Anyway, we gave up on DW.NET, and started to use the
>datagrid control.
>
> Since then, much has changed. Our development team now has VS2005
> professional and may start using DW.NET 2.0 (pending my investigations).
> So here is the situation so far:
>
> VS2005 has an extremely easy to use project deployment/publishing tool.
> Our current set of ClickOnce apps work without problems (as you can
> expect).
>
> When I place a datawindow control on a winform, and deploy it to a web
> server, it works only if the Sybase DW product has been installed (I can
> sort of see why). My questions:
>
> 1) Is there a way to auto deploy a winform app that has a datawindow on it
> so that it auto installs/auto registers any libraries it may need?
> 2) Are there any tips for how to deploy click once applications? (eg:
> advice on library deployment, and path to PBL's/PBD's from a click once
> app)
> 3) Has anyone actually done this? Is it even possible? Is there any
> doco/steps/how-tos on this? The Sybase DW.NET help doesn't mention this
> deployment style specifically.

0
jeff
8/17/2006 11:25:17 PM
Well, the problem is:

"Additionally, if an application needs privileged access to the local
machine at install time, then it is definitely not a candidate for
ClickOnce deployment because by design there are no mechanisms in
ClickOnce to add registry entries, install shared assemblies in the
Global Assembly Cache (GAC), install services, and so on."

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/05/ClickOnce/

However:

http://www.softinsight.com/bnoyes/PermaLink.aspx?guid=2d39e57c-831b-466a-a666-a0839f9eab70

http://www.code-magazine.com/article.aspx?quickid=0601041&page=2

So it's not so much the unmanaged code that is an issue, but creating
the environmental variable needed to tell DataWindow.Net where it's
at.

On 17 Aug 2006 16:25:17 -0700, "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> So here is the situation so far:
>>
>> VS2005 has an extremely easy to use project deployment/publishing tool.
>> Our current set of ClickOnce apps work without problems (as you can
>> expect).
>>
>> When I place a datawindow control on a winform, and deploy it to a web
>> server, it works only if the Sybase DW product has been installed (I can
>> sort of see why). My questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a way to auto deploy a winform app that has a datawindow on it
>> so that it auto installs/auto registers any libraries it may need?
>> 2) Are there any tips for how to deploy click once applications? (eg:
>> advice on library deployment, and path to PBL's/PBD's from a click once
>> app)
>> 3) Has anyone actually done this? Is it even possible? Is there any
>> doco/steps/how-tos on this? The Sybase DW.NET help doesn't mention this

8/18/2006 12:42:46 AM
Thanks for the response. In the past, I got our support staff to modify the
..Net framework run-time security policies to fully trust the Sybase
assemblies. If this trust is in place when the click once application is
executed, I would assume that the click once application would work.

Jeff indicated that we will need to build an MSI package that contains the
necessary Sybase DLLs. Our sys admins tell me that we should be able to
deploy these via a number of auto-install technologies (example: Active
Directory Group Policies and/or SMS), and have the auto-installer configure
the run-time security policy. I am hoping that someone out there has
actually done this (so I can avoid the time wastage associated with trying
something that won't work).

The PBL may not need an environment variable. In VS 2005, windows forms have
a flexible settings system (example: dw.LibraryList = My.Settings.PBLPath).
I think that we may be able to use this to overcome the need to install
registry entries. It's an XML file that gets deployed by the clickonce
application.

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAMbruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:892ae25dtcs8oqv0b9c3envhpdthtbj044@4ax.com...

> [...]
>>>
>>> VS2005 has an extremely easy to use project deployment/publishing tool.
>>> Our current set of ClickOnce apps work without problems (as you can
>>> expect).
>>>
>>> When I place a datawindow control on a winform, and deploy it to a web
>>> server, it works only if the Sybase DW product has been installed (I can
>>> sort of see why). My questions:
>>>
>>> 1) Is there a way to auto deploy a winform app that has a datawindow on
>>> it
>>> so that it auto installs/auto registers any libraries it may need?
>>> 2) Are there any tips for how to deploy click once applications? (eg:
>>> advice on library deployment, and path to PBL's/PBD's from a click once
>>> app)
>>> 3) Has anyone actually done this? Is it even possible? Is there any
>>> doco/steps/how-tos on this? The Sybase DW.NET help doesn't mention this

8/25/2006 6:14:57 AM
On 24 Aug 2006 23:14:57 -0700, "JC" <jc@spam.me.not> wrote:

>The PBL may not need an environment variable. In VS 2005, windows forms have
>a flexible settings system (example: dw.LibraryList = My.Settings.PBLPath).
>I think that we may be able to use this to overcome the need to install
>registry entries. It's an XML file that gets deployed by the clickonce
>application.

Just to clarify, I never said that the PBL needed an environmental
variable.  I said that DataWindow.Net looked for one in order to find
the unmanaged DLLs.

0
Bruce

ASP.NET 2.0 AND .NET 2.0
I have a web app that I built using VS.net 2003 and ASP.net 1.1 I would like to start developing my app with ASP.net 2.0. What do I need to do to convert it and will VS.net 2003 support ASP.net 2.0 and .Net 2.0? Thank you for any information on this,Thank youJackxxx Hello. I think that you want have many problems converting from 1.1 to 2.0. Take a look here:http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/whidbey/beta2update.aspx I think that besides changing the aspx directive, everythin should work ok (tough i still haven't migrated any web site to version 2 of the platform). Regarding VS 2003...

[ASP.Net 2.0]
I'm starting to chage a site to ASP.Net 2.0.  I have a couple of 1.1 DataGrids that I wasn't planning to change over for a while while I learned the new controls.ASP.Net 2.0 doesn't display the (cell) borders of the version 1.1 DataGrids.Is there away to get the borders to display?Thanks,Tinker  T. R. Tinker: ASP.Net 2.0 doesn't display the (cell) borders of the version 1.1 DataGrids. do u mean the designer doesnt display it  or its not displayed in the browser ? i think the New Designer doesnt display the styles and maybe its not displayed until...

Vb.net code in asp.net 2.0: works on hosts win 2003asp.net 2.0 server, crashes on xp asp.net offline workstation
Hi All  Can anyone tell me whats wrong with this code ?  Dim WeeklyRentalMinT as double = txtminrent.text  I 've been using code similar or identical to that since I started experimenting with ASP 3.0 in 2004 its worked every time, yet I now wonder if it contributed to slowing down my apps, we'll the code works on my host server, it worked on my pc when it was running asp.net 1.1, but now that i've upgraaded to asp.net 2.0, i get an error "[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]"  How would you read input from a form tex...

Lines Display Limit DDDW ASP.Net 2.0 & Datawindow.Net 2.0
I have a simple data entry form in ASP.net. The form has two dddw. One points at a file with about 200 records to choose from. When you view the form on a Web page and pull down the DDDW, it runs past the end of the page. The scroll bar in the Browser shows up on the side, but when you attempt to scroll the browser, the DDDW field looses focus and the list collapses. I limited the DDDW to 10 lines, but that appears to be being ignored. I have all of the features turned on or True, except display only in the Behavior group. This problem, really makes the Datawindow unusable. I ...

What's compatible with DW.NET 2.0 and DW.NET 2.5
The group I work with does nothing but PB applications. Finally there is some interest in moving some of our applications away from PB towards the .Net area. Currently we are not interested in what PB 11 is offering in the .NET area. We would like to be in a more 'native' .NET environment. Now with that being said , we are in the VERY early stages of using Visual Studio and Datawindow.NET. We have already found some issues with DW.NET 2.5 and VS 2008 that are making it difficult to move forward. So here is my question. What versions of VS and DW.NET actually work well tog...

What's compatible with DW.NET 2.0 and DW.NET 2.5?
The group I work with does nothing but PB applications. Finally there is some interest in moving some of our applications away from PB towards the .Net area. Currently we are not interested in what PB 11 is offering in the .NET area. We would like to be in a more 'native' .NET environment. Now with that being said , we are in the VERY early stages of using Visual Studio and Datawindow.NET. We have already found some issues with DW.NET 2.5 and VS 2008 that are making it difficult to move forward. So here is my question. What versions of VS and DW.NET actually work well tog...

Problem after host moved my site from ASP.NET 2.0 Beta 2 to an ASP.NET 2.0 server
Hi there,I wonder if you can help.My site has been moved today to a different server an ASP.NET 2.0 host, from one that was a ASP.NET 2.0 Beta 2 host.I can access some of the pages but I can't login. I get Application Error.Also get the same if I try to access the Events page.I'm using SQL Server 2000. I can still access the database through SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager.Also I can run the website perfectly when running it from Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 locally, can see all the members again and Events section works fine.Anyone got any clues to help me to get my club site...

Access .Net 2.0 Application from .Net 2.0 Web Site
I need to populate a specific form in a .Net desktop application from a .net web application.  Is there an easy way to go about this? Hi, Based on my understanding, you want to start an executable application from your ASP.NET websit, right? We can invoke Process.Start method (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start.aspx) to launch an executable application from ASP.NET application. Note: Please keep in mind, the ASP.NET application is running on the server, so it will start the executable application that exists in the server.   I look...

Page works in windows xp, asp.net 2.0, works in windows 2000 asp.net 1.1, fails windows 2000 asp.net 2.0
Hi All   Pages that work well on  win xp, asp.net2.0, and  win 2000 asp.net 1.1  computers  fails when the wind 2000 asp.net 1,1  computer is upgraded to asp.net 2.0  Many controls such as textboxs , buttons give this error >>>>Error Rendering Control - B1 An unhandled exception has occurred.RegisterForEventValidation can only be called during Render();   <<<<<< Is windows 2000 incompatible with asp.2.0 ? Is the website using the correct version of the framework? (This can be checked from the ASP.NET tab of ...

Does ASP.NET 2.0/.NET 2.0 has TabView form server control
Hi, Please can any one let me konw do we have TabView control in ASP.NET 2.0. Could you give me right articles to do that in ASP.NET 2.0.   I have done TabedForm in Windows application but i havent comeacross in ASP.NET for the past 2 years. But now i have a task to do on TabView form. so, i am really thankfull if you can provide information.  (My company has only .NET 2.0. They dont have Ajax/Atlas and no thired party tools. i am stuck with this. plz help me) Thanks in advance   Dk Are you looking for http://asp.net/ajax/control-toolkit/live/Tabs/Tabs.aspx -yur...

Which 2.0 .net framework to install on server to run asp.net 2.0
Im wondering if I should install the redistributable version of framework 2.0 or the  SDK version on my windows server 2003 inorder to test my asp.net 2.0 applications?   Thanks I would install the redistributable, as I would not be doing any development on the server.Virtual RealmXNA and Game Programing Resources...

Web resources about - Clickonce deployment anyone (DW.NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0)? - sybase.datawindow.net

Quality function deployment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... developed QFD in Japan in 1966, when the author combined his work in quality assurance and quality control points with function deployment used ...

Second Facebook Building In Luleå, Sweden, To Test New Rapid Deployment Data Center Concept
... at Facebook’s data center in Luleå, Sweden , will be the first of the social network’s data centers to be built using its new rapid deployment ...

Massive Growth in SMTP STARTTLS Deployment
When we posted in May about the state of STARTTLS deployment, we had no idea that we would see such significant changes to email encryption across ...

Deployment Manager (@redgateDeploy) on Twitter

Children welcome Georgia National Guardsmen home from deployment to Afghanistan - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
In this photo taken on March 9, 2010 photo, Blake Cochran, left, 7, Brooke Cochran, center, 6, and Bailee Cochran, 3, welcome home Georgia's ...

CICADA Autonomous Deployment Demonstration - YouTube
The Naval Research Laboratory Vehicle Research Section has successfully completed flight tests for the Autonomous Deployment Demonstration program. ...

Why, when and how to migrate to Windows 8 - Windows 8 migration, Windows 8 deployment, Windows 8, Windows ...
Windows 8 machines are coming out sometime this fall, but that doesn't mean businesses should shift to panic mode to upgrade their corporate ...

Canberra teen pens experience of Defence deployment through child's eyes in Soon
&quot;When you're as young as [seven] 13 months is ages: that's a Christmas and a birthday and an Easter and a whole family's worth of things ...

Iraq deployment decision in days: Bishop
The national security committee and federal cabinet will meet this week to decide on Australia's deployment to Iraq.

Full fibre NBN deployment costs artificially inflated: NBN Co critic
The cost of rolling out a fibre-to-the-premises NBN may not be as high as that posited by the Coalition government, according to University of ...