changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL

Hi

I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a
windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private network,
and requires a VPN to connect to).

In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database interface
from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to
connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL
again because I get this error:
Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to
continue in graphic mode?

If I select "NO", the SQL is rendered in text mode. When I attempt to
convert this SQL back into graphic mode, I get this error:
The FROM clause could not be interpreted successfully. Do you want to
continue in graphic mode.

I have noticed these differences:
- The underlying SQL has a difference in case between platforms, ie, on AIX,
all SQL is in uppercase.
- Under AIX, there are no quotation marks around schema objects (ie, schema
name, tables, columns)

Note that the application continues to function despite this issues.

I am looking for some advice on how to provide a level of datawindow
compatibility and portability between platforms. Our portable development
environment is a Windows 2003 server running within a VMWare virtual machine
installed with Oracle 9i, VS 2003 and DW.NET. Our final operating
environment will windows XP clients against an Oracle 9i installation
running on AIX.

0
JC

W00T!! I have just worked it out.

When connecting via the O90 Oracle 9i database interface, check "Case
Sensitive". This causes the datawindow designer to render all SQL in upper
case. When the datatwindow is brought over to Oracle 9i running on AIX, the
datawindow SQL will still continue to be rendered graphically.

Incidently - has anyone tried to use the Sybase transaction object over a
VPN to an Oracle backend? I could not get it to resolve (even though TNSPing
would).

"JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42b9063e@forums-2-dub...
> Hi
>
> I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a
> windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private
network,
> and requires a VPN to connect to).
>
> In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database
interface
> from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to
> connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL
> again because I get this error:
> Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to
> continue in graphic mode?
>
> If I select "NO", the SQL is rendered in text mode. When I attempt to
> convert this SQL back into graphic mode, I get this error:
> The FROM clause could not be interpreted successfully. Do you want to
> continue in graphic mode.
>
> I have noticed these differences:
> - The underlying SQL has a difference in case between platforms, ie, on
AIX,
> all SQL is in uppercase.
> - Under AIX, there are no quotation marks around schema objects (ie,
schema
> name, tables, columns)
>
> Note that the application continues to function despite this issues.
>
> I am looking for some advice on how to provide a level of datawindow
> compatibility and portability between platforms. Our portable development
> environment is a Windows 2003 server running within a VMWare virtual
machine
> installed with Oracle 9i, VS 2003 and DW.NET. Our final operating
> environment will windows XP clients against an Oracle 9i installation
> running on AIX.

0
JC
6/22/2005 6:51:39 AM
Have you tried connecting with a local (to you) copy of SQL*Plus?
TNSPing is a pretty low level call, it doesn't check to see if you can
actually make a connection.  For example, by default the listen will
connect back to your machine on a different port to complete the
connection.  If that port isn't open, you'll never be able to connect.
(There are options specifically designed for firewalls to force the
connection back on a particular port, but by default those aren't
enabled).

On 21 Jun 2005 23:51:39 -0700, "JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:

>W00T!! I have just worked it out.
>
>When connecting via the O90 Oracle 9i database interface, check "Case
>Sensitive". This causes the datawindow designer to render all SQL in upper
>case. When the datatwindow is brought over to Oracle 9i running on AIX, the
>datawindow SQL will still continue to be rendered graphically.
>
>Incidently - has anyone tried to use the Sybase transaction object over a
>VPN to an Oracle backend? I could not get it to resolve (even though TNSPing
>would).
>

>"JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42b9063e@forums-2-dub...
>> Hi
>>
>> I have had to move a number of datawindows from Oracle 9i running on a
>> windows 2003 to Oracle 9i on AIX 4.3.3 (which is also on a private
>network,
>> and requires a VPN to connect to).
>>
>> In the datawindow designer, I have also had to change the database
>interface
>> from O90 Oracle 9i to an ODBC datasource (because I was not able to
>> connect). In doing so, I have had to graphically re-create all the DW SQL
>> again because I get this error:
>> Table "XYZ" has no columns, possible invalid table format. Do you want to
>> continue in graphic mode?
>>
>> If I select "NO", the SQL is rendered in text mode. When I attempt to
>> convert this SQL back into graphic mode, I get this error:
>> The FROM clause could not be interpreted successfully. Do you want to
>> continue in graphic mode.
>>
>> I have noticed these differences:
>> - The underlying SQL has a difference in case between platforms, ie, on
>AIX,
>> all SQL is in uppercase.
>> - Under AIX, there are no quotation marks around schema objects (ie,
>schema
>> name, tables, columns)
>>
>> Note that the application continues to function despite this issues.
>>
>> I am looking for some advice on how to provide a level of datawindow
>> compatibility and portability between platforms. Our portable development
>> environment is a Windows 2003 server running within a VMWare virtual
>machine
>> installed with Oracle 9i, VS 2003 and DW.NET. Our final operating
>> environment will windows XP clients against an Oracle 9i installation
>> running on AIX.

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
6/22/2005 1:23:40 PM
Hi Bruce

Yup - SQLPlus does connect. When the VPN is running, I can connect to the
Oracle instance that is running locally, and the instance that is running
over the VPN.

Because I was not able to connect using the Sybase transaction object
(Sybase.Datawindow.Transaction), I had to change our framework to use the
System.Data.OleDB.OleDBConnection and Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction -
this appears to work (although I do have concerns over performance).

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
wrote in message news:cepib1tarsfujg4veksqf3v3ja1upse5mo@4ax.com...
> [...]
> >AIX,
> >> all SQL is in uppercase.
> >> - Under AIX, there are no quotation marks around schema objects (ie,
> >schema
> >> name, tables, columns)
> >>
> >> Note that the application continues to function despite this issues.
> >>
> >> I am looking for some advice on how to provide a level of datawindow
> >> compatibility and portability between platforms. Our portable
development
> >> environment is a Windows 2003 server running within a VMWare virtual
> >machine
> >> installed with Oracle 9i, VS 2003 and DW.NET. Our final operating
> >> environment will windows XP clients against an Oracle 9i installation
> >> running on AIX.
> >>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
JC
6/23/2005 12:12:31 AM
I should also mention that I am using a Cisco VPN client, and when this is
running, it will probably look like I have two network adaptors. I assume
that if Sybase.Datawindow.Transaction is unable to connect over the VPN, it
might have something to do with the network interface binding order.

Because I am using a virtual machine, it is a relatively minor task to add a
2nd network interface and conduct tests to determine if it is binding order
related. Let me know if you want me to pursue this.

> > >network,

> > >interface
> SQL

> > >AIX,
> > >schema

> development
> > >machine
> > >>

> > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> > http://www.teamsybase.com
> >
> > Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
> Assisi
> > http://www.needhim.org

0
JC
6/23/2005 12:26:47 AM
The Sybase database driver doesn't operate at that low a level, it
just talks to OCI and lets OCI deal with the rest.

Have you tried other third party tools?  SQL*Net actually doesn't use
OCI, so if the problem is with the OCI config other tools will have
problems connecting as well.

I'd also be interested in seeing what your connection parameters look
like.

On 22 Jun 2005 17:26:47 -0700, "JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I should also mention that I am using a Cisco VPN client, and when this is
>running, it will probably look like I have two network adaptors. I assume
>that if Sybase.Datawindow.Transaction is unable to connect over the VPN, it
>might have something to do with the network interface binding order.
>
>Because I am using a virtual machine, it is a relatively minor task to add a
>2nd network interface and conduct tests to determine if it is binding order
>related. Let me know if you want me to pursue this.
>

>"JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42b9fe6b$1@forums-2-dub...
>> Hi Bruce
>>
>> Yup - SQLPlus does connect. When the VPN is running, I can connect to the
>> Oracle instance that is running locally, and the instance that is running
>> over the VPN.
>>
>> Because I was not able to connect using the Sybase transaction object
>> (Sybase.Datawindow.Transaction), I had to change our framework to use the
>> System.Data.OleDB.OleDBConnection and Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction -
>> this appears to work (although I do have concerns over performance).
>>

>> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>> wrote in message news:cepib1tarsfujg4veksqf3v3ja1upse5mo@4ax.com...
>> > Have you tried connecting with a local (to you) copy of SQL*Plus?
>> > TNSPing is a pretty low level call, it doesn't check to see if you can
>> > actually make a connection.  For example, by default the listen will
>> > connect back to your machine on a different port to complete the
>> > connection.  If that port isn't open, you'll never be able to connect.
>> > (There are options specifically designed for firewalls to force the
>> > connection back on a particular port, but by default those aren't
>> > enabled).

>> upper
>> the

>> TNSPing

>> SQL
>want

>on

>> development
>> > >>

>> > Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>> > http://www.teamsybase.com
>> >
>> > Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
>> Assisi
>> > http://www.needhim.org

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce
6/23/2005 5:16:53 AM
I have not tried any other 3rd party tools because my virtual machine does
not need them (I seem to be able to do everything with SQL Plus and the
Datawindow Designer.

These are the connection parameters for the Sybase transaction object:
        Trans1 = New Sybase.DataWindow.Transaction(Me.components)
        Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"
        Trans1.Dbms = Sybase.DataWindow.DbmsType.Oracle9i
        Trans1.Password = "blahblahblah        "
        Trans1.UserId = "somebody"

> >> Hi Bruce
> >>
> >> Yup - SQLPlus does connect. When the VPN is running, I can connect to
the
> >> Oracle instance that is running locally, and the instance that is
running
> >> over the VPN.
> >>
> >> Because I was not able to connect using the Sybase transaction object
> >> (Sybase.Datawindow.Transaction), I had to change our framework to use
the
> >> System.Data.OleDB.OleDBConnection and
Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction -
> >> this appears to work (although I do have concerns over performance).
> >>

> >> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]"
<NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>

> >> upper
AIX,
> >> the

> >> TNSPing

DW
> >> SQL
> >want

> >on

> >> development

> >> Assisi
> >>

> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> http://www.teamsybase.com
>
> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
Assisi
> http://www.needhim.org

0
JC
6/24/2005 5:43:29 AM
Try changing:

        Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"

to:

        Trans1.Servername = "mtst.world"

On 23 Jun 2005 22:43:29 -0700,
 in sybase.public.datawindow.net
JC <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have not tried any other 3rd party tools because my virtual machine does
>not need them (I seem to be able to do everything with SQL Plus and the
>Datawindow Designer.
>
>These are the connection parameters for the Sybase transaction object:
>        Trans1 = New Sybase.DataWindow.Transaction(Me.components)
>        Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"
>        Trans1.Dbms = Sybase.DataWindow.DbmsType.Oracle9i
>        Trans1.Password = "blahblahblah        "
>        Trans1.UserId = "somebody"
>

>"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>wrote in message news:7ahkb1hngrhtc45sd7h5og7b6h21dt0r73@4ax.com...
>> The Sybase database driver doesn't operate at that low a level, it
>> just talks to OCI and lets OCI deal with the rest.
>>
>> Have you tried other third party tools?  SQL*Net actually doesn't use
>> OCI, so if the problem is with the OCI config other tools will have
>> problems connecting as well.
>>
>> I'd also be interested in seeing what your connection parameters look
>> like.
>>
>> On 22 Jun 2005 17:26:47 -0700, "JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I should also mention that I am using a Cisco VPN client, and when this
>is
>> >running, it will probably look like I have two network adaptors. I assume
>> >that if Sybase.Datawindow.Transaction is unable to connect over the VPN,
>it
>> >might have something to do with the network interface binding order.
>> >
>> >Because I am using a virtual machine, it is a relatively minor task to
>add a
>> >2nd network interface and conduct tests to determine if it is binding
>order
>> >related. Let me know if you want me to pursue this.
>> >

>> >"JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>the
>running

>the
>Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction -

><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>can
>connect.

>"Case
>AIX,

>over

>on

>DW
>> >want

>ie,
>> >on
>(ie,

>issues.

>datawindow
>virtual
>installation

>> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
>> http://www.teamsybase.com
>>
>> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
>Assisi
>> http://www.needhim.org

0
Bruce
6/24/2005 5:22:01 PM
Bruce

That worked, thanks very much. Incidently, would you guys prefer us to use
the Sybase transaction object versus an OleDB connection?

wrote in message news:42bc4139$1@forums-1-dub...
> Try changing:
>
>         Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"
>
> to:
>
>         Trans1.Servername = "mtst.world"
>
> On 23 Jun 2005 22:43:29 -0700,
>  in sybase.public.datawindow.net
> JC <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >I have not tried any other 3rd party tools because my virtual machine
does
> >not need them (I seem to be able to do everything with SQL Plus and the
> >Datawindow Designer.
> >
> >These are the connection parameters for the Sybase transaction object:
> >        Trans1 = New Sybase.DataWindow.Transaction(Me.components)
> >        Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"
> >        Trans1.Dbms = Sybase.DataWindow.DbmsType.Oracle9i
> >        Trans1.Password = "blahblahblah        "
> >        Trans1.UserId = "somebody"
> >

> >"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> >wrote in message news:7ahkb1hngrhtc45sd7h5og7b6h21dt0r73@4ax.com...
> >> The Sybase database driver doesn't operate at that low a level, it
> >> just talks to OCI and lets OCI deal with the rest.
> >>
> >> Have you tried other third party tools?  SQL*Net actually doesn't use
> >> OCI, so if the problem is with the OCI config other tools will have
> >> problems connecting as well.
> >>
> >> I'd also be interested in seeing what your connection parameters look
> >> like.

> >is
VPN,
> >it

> >add a
> >order

> >the
> >running

> >the
> >Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction -

> ><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
> >can
> >connect.

> >"Case
> >AIX,

> >over

> >on

> >DW

> >ie,
> >(ie,

> >issues.

> >datawindow
> >virtual
> >installation

> >> Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
> >> http://www.teamsybase.com
> >>
> >> Preach the gospel at all times. If necessary, use words. - Francis of
> >Assisi
> >> http://www.needhim.org

0
JC
6/27/2005 5:07:10 AM
Right now I (a thrid party, not Sybase) might base that on the
application.

If you're doing an ASP.Net app and need to support connection caching,
I'd argue for the OleDB connection.  ADO.Net has connection caching
built in for that, and you'd have to roll your own for the native
drivers.

If you're doing a WinForms app and your primary concern is
performance, I'd use the native drivers.

When support for the .Net managed providers is available, it might be
a third option that might work well in both situations.

On 26 Jun 2005 22:07:10 -0700, "JC" <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Bruce
>
>That worked, thanks very much. Incidently, would you guys prefer us to use
>the Sybase transaction object versus an OleDB connection?
>

>"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>wrote in message news:42bc4139$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Try changing:
>>
>>         Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"
>>
>> to:
>>
>>         Trans1.Servername = "mtst.world"
>>
>> On 23 Jun 2005 22:43:29 -0700,
>>  in sybase.public.datawindow.net
>> JC <dwnoob@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >I have not tried any other 3rd party tools because my virtual machine
>does
>> >not need them (I seem to be able to do everything with SQL Plus and the
>> >Datawindow Designer.
>> >
>> >These are the connection parameters for the Sybase transaction object:
>> >        Trans1 = New Sybase.DataWindow.Transaction(Me.components)
>> >        Trans1.Database = "mtst.world"
>> >        Trans1.Dbms = Sybase.DataWindow.DbmsType.Oracle9i
>> >        Trans1.Password = "blahblahblah        "
>> >        Trans1.UserId = "somebody"

>this
>> >is
>assume
>VPN,
>> >it

>> >add a
>> >order

>> >the
>> >running

>object
>use
>> >the
>> >Sybase.DataWindow.AdoTransaction -

>> ><NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
>> >can
>will
>> >connect.
>the

>> >"Case
>in
>on
>> >AIX,

>object
>> >over
>though

>running
>> >on
>private

>database
>able
>the
>> >DW
>you

>attempt
>want

>platforms,
>> >ie,
>> >(ie,

>> >issues.

>> >datawindow
>> >virtual
>operating
>> >installation

>of

>> >Assisi

Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]
http://www.teamsybase.com

In Defense of Top Posting
http://alpage.ath.cx/toppost/toppost.htm

http://www.needhim.org
0
Bruce

DataWindow This, DataWindow That...

modifiyin a datawindow in a datawindow
Hi, When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just dw1.modify() But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow in a datwindow ? I tried : dw1.dw2.modify() but that doesn't work. Anyone can help me out with this ? thanks. Regards, David get the dw via getchild & apply modify In article <4575976f.4dda.1681692777@sybase.com>, David says... > Hi, > When I want to modify a datawindow, then it's just > dw1.modify() > > But what do I have to do when I want to modify a datawindow > in a datwindow ? > I tried : dw...

DataWindow Within DataWindow

DataWindows and datawindow objects

datawindow

Datawindows with child datawindows

Problems with External Datawindows in Datawindow .Net
Has anyone used an external datawindow within a datastore in a .Net application? We are converting a piece of functionality from PowerBuilder to C# .Net and the routine uses an external datawindow. Since it is an external I didnt do SetTransObject before doing the InsertRow. I simply tried inserting a row into the datastore and a DatawindowNotCreatedException was thrown. Has anyone run into something similar? We are widely using external datawindow. Your error is not concerned with external datawindow. It is concerned with DataWindowControl bad behaviour (it is documented,...

Converting datawindow objects to datawindow .Net
Hi, Can someone please list the various methods we can use to convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net object ? Thanks, Sanjay I'm lost. There's no conversion necessary. PB and DW.Net use the same datawindow objects. On 19 Feb 2007 17:46:15 -0800, Converting wrote: >Hi, > >Can someone please list the various methods we can use to >convert the standard datawindow object to a datawindow .net >object ? > >Thanks, > >Sanjay Thanks Bruce. I probably confused you but good to know that we can modify the datawin...

How changing a datawindow attached in a datawindow control ?
Hi, I would like to set a datawindow object in a datawindow control dinamically. So I did: dw_control1.DataObject = 'dw_object1' The code doesn't work right when I have a EXE. Someone could help me ? Thanks, Alvason Uberl�ndia - Minas Gerais - Brazil I suspect that the dataobject ('dw_object1', the actual datawindow that you painted in the datawindow painter) is not being compiled into the .exe file, since its only reference is the string 'dw_object1'. If this is the case, you need to compile the executable with a .PBR file that include...

DataWindow.NET
I'm using DataWindow.NET 1.5.1 9004 on a Windows XP Professional SP 2 machine with the latest Microsoft Update patches. The release notes indicate that change request 385532 is corrected. However, if I configure my computer to use a Windows XP theme the border does not render as expected; a blue bordered box is displayed. If I configure my computer to use a Windows Classic theme the border is rendered as expected. Is there something else I need to do to get the datawindow object column borders to render correctly when using a Windows XP theme? Ken Are you using 3D Lower...

datawindow and Datawindow.NET Function Comparison
Hi All! What is the equivalent function in datawindow.net for the dw_1.GetSelectedRow() Is there any listings or comparison available for datawindow.net function and datawindow? Thanks.in advance S. Viswanathan Look to DataWindowControl.FindNextSelected(RowNumber) method. Regards, Mikhail Klygin. Viswanathan S �����: > Hi All! > > What is the equivalent function in datawindow.net for the > dw_1.GetSelectedRow() > > Is there any listings or comparison available for datawindow.net function > and datawindow? > > Thanks.in advanc...

PB Datawindow to DataWindow .Net Migration
We have a datawindows in PB 9 and PB 11 also. Now we are planing move to .Net Applications. We are generating all PB objects in to .Net(C#) except data windows. Now we are planing to move PB datawindows to DataWindow .Net 2.5. Can you please explaing the way to convert/migrate PB Datawindows to DataWindow .Net 2.5. Advanced thanks for your suggesstions. Thank You, Chaithu Start the Datawindow Designer applet and create a new Project. Then use the Import... feature to import the datawindow source .SRD files. These can be exported from PowerBuilder. -- Paul Horan[Sybase] ...

Web resources about - changing datawindow connection is breaking my datawindow SQL - sybase.datawindow.net

Intelligent Versus Surrogate Keys

chevy volt

Java Networking - Real's HowTo