Problem : VB 6 ADO-application connection with ODBC driver 3.11 (or 3.60) to ASE 11.9.2 needs multiple connections

Hello,

we are running Visual Basic applications (VB 6) which use ADO and Sybase
ODBC driver 3.11 (or 3.60) to connect to ASE 11.9.2. We configured the
'select method' to be direct. This configuration results in
login/logouts to the database for every single select statement.
Has anybody else encountered this problem and knows how to fix it ?

I know that configuring cursor select method solves the problem. But
then every statement is executed as an server cursor, which is much
slower then a standard select.

I think the prolem has something to with the interface between ADO and
ODBC driver, because applications which use ODBC as a native API doesn't
show this behaviour!

Bye
Wolfgang Kunk
RTL Television

0
Wolfgang

Hello,

I think I solved the problem in the meantime.
It seems that the cursor-properties of ADO connection  and ADO resultset
have to be client cursor. Then everything works as aspected.

Bye
Wolfgang Kunk
RTL Television

Wolfgang Kunk schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> we are running Visual Basic applications (VB 6) which use ADO and Sybase
> ODBC driver 3.11 (or 3.60) to connect to ASE 11.9.2. We configured the
> 'select method' to be direct. This configuration results in
> login/logouts to the database for every single select statement.
> Has anybody else encountered this problem and knows how to fix it ?
>
> I know that configuring cursor select method solves the problem. But
> then every statement is executed as an server cursor, which is much
> slower then a standard select.
>
> I think the prolem has something to with the interface between ADO and
> ODBC driver, because applications which use ODBC as a native API doesn't
> show this behaviour!
>
> Bye
> Wolfgang Kunk
> RTL Television

0
Wolfgang

ASE 11.9.2 + ODBC 3.11.00.22 (All users are connected twice !!)
Hi again I found why users are kicked off the db (Cf Post "ASE V11 + ODBC: ct_connect(): network.... / .... operation teminated due to disconnect") Each connection is repeated twice as i can see it trough a sp_who call. (There's 2 SPIDs for the same Hostname, the second SPID's status is always "Awaiting command"...) I'm 99.9 9% sure the way i connect to the db is the right one, and i'm also sure the connection procedure exists only once in my program. My app can only run once at a time, so it can't be a double instance effect... Migrati...

Startup / Connecting problem with 11.9.2 on Suse 6.3
Im install the 11.9.2 Database on an Suse 6.3 Linux. After the installation and configuration was ready, i can connect to the dataserver and the backupserver using the isql Client. After the first reboot i can only connect to the backupserver. To attempt a connect will result this message on the console: root@station27:/home/jwolff > /opt/sybase-11.9.2/bin/isql -Uas -Sstation27 Password: Msg 4002, Level 14, State 1: Login failed. CT-LIBRARY error: ct_connect(): protocol specific layer: external error: The attempt to connect to the server failed. ...

Problems in connecting to ASE 11.9.2 from win 98 using delphi 3
Hi to everyone, My name is Marko Zuzic. In my company we are trying set up a system with ASE 11.9.2 and Delphi 3. We did manage to connect to the database server through MS ODBC shipped with win98. Everything worked fine when the tables are below 50 record. When we put 70 records more in the tables we get a BDE engine error saying: "General SQL error" error code 13059. Does anyone have a clue how can we resolve this problem. I'm new to client/server technology. Every message I've red speaks about "client stuff" for win 98. We used SUSE 6.0 and ASE 11....

Problem using ASA 7.0 connecting to ASE 11.9.2 via ODBC DSN
Hi: I downloaded ASA 7.0.2 to evaluate it as a Client to connect to a databse which is installed on an ASE 11.9.2. system (first of all, can this be done?). I am running Win 2K Professional. I have already set up an ODBC DSN which I have used successfully for creating a linked server to the ASE database in MS SQL Server 2000. I also have used this DSN to create a successful ODBC link to MS Access 2000 In this case I created an ASA 7.0 DSN using the same configuration parameters that I used for the the above DSN, but when I test the connection in Sybase Central 4.0 (or in the ODBC ...

Problem using ASA 7.0 to connect to ASE 11.9.2 via ASA ODBC DSN
[...]

ASE 11.0.3.3 and ASE 11.9.2 on same box
Hi evereyone, I would like to install 2 ASE servers with different versions on same linux box. Is this possible? Here is what I tried to do: I have a working ASE 11.9.2 on linux box tried to install ASE 11.0.3.3 on same box in different directory and it gave me an error. Wondering if this ispossible at all. Appreciate any help. TIA ar The 11.0.3.3 rpm tries to uninstall the 11.9.2 package. I shutdown the 11.9.2 server before install 11.0.3.3 and I do not keep the both versions running. The variables SYBASE, LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH must be correctly set to point the...

Connection ASE 11.9.2, AIX 4.3 failed
i'm trying to connect my pc client to ASE 11.9.2 on AIX 4.3 using TCP but failed. My network connectivity is ok, my server name and port number is correct. I wonder is the pc client is compatible with my win98. Dzull_dlaborn wrote... > i'm trying to connect my pc client to ASE 11.9.2 on AIX 4.3 using TCP but > failed. My network connectivity is ok, my server name and port number is > correct. I wonder is the pc client is compatible with my win98. > Post the contents of the SQL.INI file from the PC, and then also the contents of the interfaces file from t...

SQLRemote Problem with 7.0.2-1 and 6.0.2-1 on Linux [ASE 11.9.2-3 and ASE 12.5 eval]
Hi all I got the following problems using sql-remote. on ASE 12.5 eval: I got the following RPMs installed on RedHat Linux 7.2 - Kernel 2.4.17 - glibc-2.2.4 sybase-ase-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-common-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-openclient-12.5-3.i386.rpm sybase-sqlremote-7.0.2-1.i386.rpm After the execution of ssxtract or ssremote I got an error like: ../ssxtract: /opt/sybase-12.5/SQLRemote/lib/libsstasks7_r.so: version `libdbtasks7_r.so' not found (required by ./ssxtract) The file libsstasks7_r.so exists and the path is correctly specified in /etc/ld.so.conf. There'...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

Problem with connecting to ASE 11.9.2 demo from PB 6.0
Hi ! I've installed ASE 11.9.2 demo on Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 3) and Open Client Library on Windows 95 workstations. I've encountered some problems while connecting from our PB 6.0 application (same in develepment environment and EXE) to ASE. My application use few transactions. First transaction, running at isolation level 1, is always opened (connected when starting application, and disconnected when closing). I have no problems with this connection. But... When application is connecting using another transaction (isolation level 1 or 3), it can connects only on...

ASE 11.9.2 & Direct Connect (MVS DB2) & Direct Connect Oracle?
I finally have the 3 tier MVS DB2 Direct Connect up and running and ASE 11.9.2 with CIS. I am now pursuing access to the Oracle Data source. Do I need to purchase and deploy another Direct Connect Server for oracle , or do I just need to purchase another service library specific to Oracle. Or will CIS enable direct access to the Oracle Data Source ? Thanks Zack Good morning, ASE (including CIS) knows how to talk natively to other Sybase data sources, but a DirectConnect is always required when a Sybase client or server needs to communicate with a non-Sybase target (e.g...

odbc driver on Solaris 2.6 for ASE 12.0/11.9.2
Hi there, Does anything know where can I find the odbc driver for ASE 12.0 or ASE 11.9.2 on Unix for Solaris 2.6 ? And how to set up the DSN in odbc.ini for ASE 12.0 or ASE 11.9.2 ? Pls help and we need the information asap. Thanks a lot. Regards, Maggie ==================================================================== Maggie Sung Consultant Asian Solutions Center, Sybase Inc Suite 5701, 57/F Central Plaza 18 Harbour Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong Direct: (852) 2506 8770 Fax: (852) 2506 8780 email: msung@sybase.com Hi Maggie, If you are licensed...

Web resources about - Problem : VB 6 ADO-application connection with ODBC driver 3.11 (or 3.60) to ASE 11.9.2 needs multiple connections - sybase.connectivity.odbc