Problem using ASA 7.0 connecting to ASE 11.9.2 via ODBC DSN

Hi:

I downloaded ASA 7.0.2 to evaluate it as a Client to connect to a databse
which is installed on an ASE 11.9.2. system (first of all, can this be
done?). I am running Win 2K Professional. I have already set up an ODBC DSN
which I have used successfully for creating a linked server to the ASE
database in MS SQL Server 2000. I also have used this DSN to create a
successful ODBC link to MS Access 2000

In this case I created an ASA 7.0 DSN using the same configuration
parameters that I used for the the above DSN, but when I test the connection
in Sybase Central 4.0 (or in the ODBC control panel ) I get the following
error -

"[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to
database server: Database server not running".

But when I open my ODBC connection in MS Access, I can query the
database????

Can anyone help me with this. I am very new to SYbase so I may be doing
something wrong which may be very basic.

Thanks for your help...

Raj

0
Raj

This can be done, either through JDBC or ODBC.

The concepts you'll find in the online help are remote servers and proxy tables.

[look up 'create server' and 'create existing table' and maybe even 'create
procedure ... at']

ASE has a feature called CIS (or OMNI) that [if I have your from's/to's
straight]
you may already be using.  The features of ASA's CIS are similar...

Reference:     ASA User's Guide
                      PART 5. Database Administration and Advanced Use
                        CHAPTER 29. Accessing Remote Data

You connectivity woes may not be that difficult.  I you have specified any
network parameters in that ODBC DSN [esp. if shared memory is disabled]
you will be blind to a local 'personal server' and will also not start the
server
on the client machine.   That could explain why you get

    "[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to
    database server: Database server not running".

You MS Access may have already imported the data into a .MDB (instead
of just linking), from a previous attempt and so may not actually need to
connect.

IIH

Raj Parulekar wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I downloaded ASA 7.0.2 to evaluate it as a Client to connect to a databse
> which is installed on an ASE 11.9.2. system (first of all, can this be
> done?). I am running Win 2K Professional. I have already set up an ODBC DSN
> which I have used successfully for creating a linked server to the ASE
> database in MS SQL Server 2000. I also have used this DSN to create a
> successful ODBC link to MS Access 2000
>
> In this case I created an ASA 7.0 DSN using the same configuration
> parameters that I used for the the above DSN, but when I test the connection
> in Sybase Central 4.0 (or in the ODBC control panel ) I get the following
> error -
>
> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to
> database server: Database server not running".
>
> But when I open my ODBC connection in MS Access, I can query the
> database????
>
> Can anyone help me with this. I am very new to SYbase so I may be doing
> something wrong which may be very basic.
>
> Thanks for your help...
>
> Raj

0
Nick