ODBC:Insufficient User Rights ?

System:
NT Server, clients NT,Win2K, XP
I have a client application which runs reports.
If logged into a PC as administrator, the user can run the report from the
client.
If logged into the PC as a domain user, the user cannot run the report, but gets
an error "Cannot open SQL Server".
After debugging the application, as both an administrator and domain user, the
correct database user/password/connection strings are used to connect to the
database.
Then discovered if I gave the domain users Full control permissions to the
following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\<DatabaseName> => then
the domain users could open the report.

Q: Is this the right solution for this problem ? And does it open up any
security risks ? Any help appreciated.

MStundon

hmmm... that is strange - you should look into limiting some of this
acces s

On winnt i believe you use Special Access for Everyone, so that key
would have all
but "Create Link","Write DAC", "Write Owner".

I would think if creating and using a System datasource this would work.

What odbc driver is this?  What version, release, etc..

MStundon wrote:

> System:
> NT Server, clients NT,Win2K, XP
> I have a client application which runs reports.
> If logged into a PC as administrator, the user can run the report from the
> client.
> If logged into the PC as a domain user, the user cannot run the report, but gets
> an error "Cannot open SQL Server".
> After debugging the application, as both an administrator and domain user, the
> correct database user/password/connection strings are used to connect to the
> database.
> Then discovered if I gave the domain users Full control permissions to the
> following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\<DatabaseName> => then
> the domain users could open the report.
>
> Q: Is this the right solution for this problem ? And does it open up any
> security risks ? Any help appreciated.

odbcpse

Connection to Access query works in developer envir, but not on the web <OleDbException (0x80004005): ODBC--connection to 'ODBC' failed>
I am VERY frustrated with a seemingly simple problem.  I am creating a gridview in VWD (express or studio), then connecting to a query within an Access Database.  The results of the query display without problem in the developer envirornment, but simply will not display when copied out to the website.  The ODBC connection that the Access Database is using fails even on the local machine.  I have spent fruitless hours looking at all security settings in IIS and the effected folders.  I could re-write all the access queries in SQL and connect to the server direct...

Problem with rights and ODBC connection
Hello, I'm not sure of this is the right place for this problem. I have installed an database on an Windows XP pro machine. When I try to reach the database from an other pc (also with XP Pro) through an ODBC connection (It's using port 1972, I can't connect. We are using novell 6 SP3 When I login as an administrator on Novell and on the client PC I can reach the database through the ODBC connection. What rights do I have to give the user??? Thanks, Jeroen Please see my reply to your message in the DNSDHCP forum. In the future, please do not post the...

Problem with rights and ODBC connection
Hello, I'm not sure of this is the right place for this problem. I have installed an database on an Windows XP pro machine. When I try to reach the database from an other pc (also with XP Pro) through an ODBC connection (It's using port 1972, I can't connect. We are using novell 6 SP3 When I login as an administrator on Novell and on the client PC I can reach the database through the ODBC connection. What rights do I have to give the user??? Thanks, Jeroen This is actually a 100% Microsoft issue. Logging on as Administrator on the *client* is what...

Problem with rights and ODBC connection
Hello, I'm not sure of this is the right place for this problem. I have installed an database on an Windows XP pro machine. When I try to reach the database from an other pc (also with XP Pro) through an ODBC connection (It's using port 1972, I can't connect. We are using novell 6 SP3 When I login as an administrator on Novell and on the client PC I can reach the database through the ODBC connection. What rights do I have to give the user??? Thanks, Jeroen On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 10:57:29 GMT, j.d.vries@vanderflier.nl wrote: >I have installed an databas...

Create ODBC connection for user?
I have a user who wants odbc access to the main db on my website to use for Crystal Reports. I've added her username and password to the db in SQL Express but I have been unable to figure out how to create a system dsn using the IP address\Server name\Insance name. Here is my connection string from web.config:  <add name="PU89" connectionString="Server=73263-1R2\SQLEXPRESS;integrated security=sspi;Uid=user;Pwd=password;Trusted_Connection=no;"/> This connection string works fine on the web server but how do I give the user access on their local m...

Problem with rights and ODBC connection
Hello, I'm not sure of this is the right place for this problem. I have installed an database on an Windows XP pro machine. When I try to reach the database from an other pc (also with XP Pro) through an ODBC connection (It's using port 1972, I can't connect. We are using novell 6 SP3 When I login as an administrator on Novell and on the client PC I can reach the database through the ODBC connection. What rights do I have to give the user??? Thanks, Jeroen Please see my reply in one of the other forums you posted to. In the future, please do not post t...

Setting up ODBC connection on Linux for using DBD::ODBC
--_000_E3137F97B0A0804194F369F4E7C3B71927B947875EEXCHANGEpersi_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, I have been working on Windows with Oracle DB and Active Perl and done some= DBI coding with DBD::ODBC. Now I need to move things over to Linux machine ( Red Hat Linux 4 and Oracl= e 10g.) I know this is not really a DBI question, but I thought I can get good help= here, Can someone please tell me how I set up ODBC on Linux or point me to website= s explaining this. Thanks a lot, DB DISCLAIMER=0A= =3D=3D...

ODBC Configuration Dialog appears on ODBC connect to ASA 6.x
Hallo, I aways get the ODBC Configuration Dialog if I want to connect to my ASA 6.x Database: Here are my 2 SQLCA's: with these settings I only have to press the enter key of the ODBC Configuration Dialog. sqlca_ASA.AutoCommit = False sqlca_ASA.LogPass = "" sqlca_ASA.LogId = "" sqlca_ASA.Database = "" sqlca_ASA.DBMS = "ODBC" sqlca_ASA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=STATPROT ASA;START=dbeng6.exe -c 4M -ga -gb normal -p 4096 -m;DBF=d:\statprot\statprot.db;DBN=stationsprotokoll;UID=dba;PWD=sql'" with these setting...

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

ODBC Connection error using IIS 5 and MS Access ODBC
Completely new at this so please forgive my ignorance! I have an app running on IIS 5 and 6 that when connecting to a SQL Db (via ODBC) app runs fine; however when switching to a local MS Access Db, application fails, generating the following message: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>   FAIL - ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error.</string&...

ODBC error: external error, while testing an ODBC connection to an ASE server
"The connection failed because of invalid or missing external configuration data." Does this have to do with the configuration of OCS-12_0 or the ocscfg.exe? Running ocscfg.exe, I've set the "SYBASE:" directory to "C:\sybase" but it doesn't seem to like it when I set the "Sybase_OCS:" to "C:\sybase\OCS-12_0". I don't know if this is related. Another idea - on the install I chose "No" to updating the msvcrt.dll (the MS C Runtime) because I've seen that hose a system before. Is this file safe to overwrite and ca...

ODBC admin -test connection ok, IQSL
Hello, ASA7 (all ebf's installed) Win98 Create ODBC dsn xxx, test connection forks fine. Trying to connect wrong ISQL or Sybase Central, select odbc dsn xxx and ISQL is opening ODBC admin window with incorrect server name and network parameters. Have installed the same on few PC's, and this situation(error) occurs only on one of it. What could be suitable to do/check? Thank you, And We've solved problem, when changes UserDNS to Sustem DNS. And "And" <a@a.a> wrote in message news:THnJkGAJCHA.1020@forums.sybase.com... > Hello, >...

Not connecting to the right HOST in JDBC/ODBC sometimes
We are seeing a JDBC/ODBC problem when using two different connection strings within the same JVM can result in both connections connecting to the same DB server. Here are detailed steps to reproduce this with Sybase 9.0.2.3508 on Windows x86: 1) within the same Java program 2) setup two db connections using the ODBC driver "jdbc:odbc:driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0" through JDBC 3) the first connection uses these connection parameters: DBN=blackhole;ENG=star9999;LOG=db.txt;LINKS=tcpip(DOBROADCAST=NONE; HOST=gondor;PORT=9999) 4) the second connection uses this ...

Web resources about - ODBC:Insufficient User Rights ? - sybase.connectivity.odbc