ODBC dsn-less Connection string problem

Hello all,
    I have a webservice built with .NET 2003, that is running at a remote
client site, that is running SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0.3.  For some reason the
WebService is unable to connect to their database.

I tested on my dev box with SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 with no problems,
however; at the client site is returns the error:
    ERROR [08001] [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to
connect to database server:  Database server not running
    Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string attribute
    Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string attribute
    Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string attribute

I am passing the following string to an ODBCConnection:
Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere
7.0;DefaultDir=c:\testprolaw\sqla7\win32;Dbf=c:\testprolaw\sqla7\win32\prolaw.db;uid=dba;Pwd=sql;Dsn=""

I am able to remote in and they do have dbeng7.exe running with the correct
database.

Thanks in advance for any help at all.

0
James

Hi James,

You should post this to the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general newsgroup.
Most stuff in this public.connectivity.odbc is for the ASE server ODBC
Drivers

One thing to try, if you have not is to take out the DSN property.  Also,
make sure those locations are correct.  The message implies the database is
not running, but maybe there is a problem with that driver not finding it -
I am not sure whether the 8.0 driver works on the 7.0 database, I would
think it should,

-Paul

"James Haumann" <jhaumann@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>    I have a webservice built with .NET 2003, that is running at a remote
> client site, that is running SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0.3.  For some reason
> the WebService is unable to connect to their database.
>
> I tested on my dev box with SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 with no problems,
> however; at the client site is returns the error:
>    ERROR [08001] [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to
> connect to database server:  Database server not running
>    Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string
> attribute
>    Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string
> attribute
>    Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string
> attribute
>
> I am passing the following string to an ODBCConnection:
> Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere
> 7.0;DefaultDir=c:\testprolaw\sqla7\win32;Dbf=c:\testprolaw\sqla7\win32\prolaw.db;uid=dba;Pwd=sql;Dsn=""
>
> I am able to remote in and they do have dbeng7.exe running with the
> correct database.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help at all.

0
Paul

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

DSN-Less Connection String for Informix ODBC driver
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C55C.047A470E Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Since I hadn't heard back from anyone, I did some more research and playing around and got the right combination and here are results: For DSN-Less connection string that can be used with Informix Client-SDK 2.5 ODBC driver to connect using Perl (5.005_3) on Win32, DBI, DBD::ODBC (0.28) 1. Once the Informix Client-SDK has been installed, there is a Informix Client-SDK utility called SetNet32 that has be run to set up the proper Informix vars, such as host, server, service, etc. ...

DSN Less ODBC Connection
Why is this Code not working? If ra_trusted = true Then lst_connectionstring ="ConnectionString='Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" + ra_server +";DATABASE=MASTER;Trusted_Connection=True'" Else lst_connectionstring ="ConnectionString='Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" + ra_server + ";DATABASE=MASTER;UID=" + ra_user + ";Pwd=" + ra_pwd + "'" End if TRY //Set Connection Options SQLCA.DBMS = "ODBC" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = lst_connectionstring // And no...

DSN-less connection string problem
I am trying to interface with 2 sybase databases, from an MS Access application (97). I would like the user to be able to switch between the 2 sybase databases. If I use a file DSN the user has to close the application and then restart it to connect to a different server/db. I would like to avoid this and any configuring of the users machines and connect through VBA only. I've managed to get some of the functionality I want by using this connection string: "ODBC;driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};SRVR=SYB4;LogonID=yyyyyy;Password=xxxxx;Database=dbname" I can use the abo...

Problem connecting with DNS-less connection string (using ASP)
My connection works if I connect using the DSN, the connection string being: "DSN=SybaseAdminDev;username=sa;password=intershop" but if I try using a DSN-less connection string: "Driver={Sybase System 11}; Server=ISSERVER; Database=sybsystemprocs; UID=sa; PWD=intershop" I get the error: --------------------------------------------- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver]Insufficient information to connect to the data source. /sybasetest/getDBsizes.asp, line 13 --------------------------...

ODBC
Hello everyone: I deployed SQL Anywhere 9 and have set up DSN's to access the db properly. I have a need to restrict access to the database to "read-only" if accessing outside the main application. I am concerned about savvy users being able to link to the DB tables via MS access provided they know the DSN name. What I want to be able to do is: 1) keep the current DSN configuration but give the current user on the DSN "Read-Only" access 2) From within the authorized application, switch the links on all the tables to log in as another user and passw...

Problem wit migrating Informix Firedac ODBC connection to Infx Connection
Now Firedac in XE6 supports Informix natively besides odbc, i decided to use the native way from now on. However, i came up with some odd behaviour: Take the following query: select * from fys_punt_im where nummer = "1000"; Where column nummer is of type varchar(10). When executing this query using Firedac Infx connection i get the error: ERROR: SQL state: 42S22. Native error: -217. Error message: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Column (1000) not found in any table in the query (or SLV is undefined). However when executing the same query using Firedac ODBC conn...

Connection to Access query works in developer envir, but not on the web <OleDbException (0x80004005): ODBC--connection to 'ODBC' failed>
I am VERY frustrated with a seemingly simple problem.  I am creating a gridview in VWD (express or studio), then connecting to a query within an Access Database.  The results of the query display without problem in the developer envirornment, but simply will not display when copied out to the website.  The ODBC connection that the Access Database is using fails even on the local machine.  I have spent fruitless hours looking at all security settings in IIS and the effected folders.  I could re-write all the access queries in SQL and connect to the server direct...

odbc connection problems
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0090_01C7921A.56B97C30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi everyone, =20 When I use ODBC to connect Microsoft SQL Server 2000.=20 The following statement will occure error=20 select emp_no,adj_date into :is_emp_no,:is_sdate from pr1sar10 tb1 where = tb1.emp_no=3D:as_emp_no and tb1.sdate=3D(select max(tb2.sdate) from = pr1sar10 tb2 where tb2.emp_no=3D:as_emp_no and tb2.sdate<=3D:as_sdate); The error message is=20 sqlcode=3D-1 sqldbcode=3D999 ...

ODBC connection problems
I am new to SQL Anywhere using version 5.5.01. When I try to establish an ODBC connection from a client machine to a network server, it usually takes between 30 and 45 seconds to establish the connection. This seems terribly slow and makes quick on-the-fly queries impracticable. Am I missing something?. I specify a server name and database name in the ODBC dsn definition but is there any more I can do to say where the network server is running? I use TCP/IP and 32bit Netware client software on windows 95 and NT 4. Also, if there is no way around this problem, is it possible to leav...

ODBC connection problem
Hello, I'm attempting to establish an ODBC connection within a PowerBuilder developed Jaguar component. I've tested the exact connection within a simple PowerBuilder client server application (using "n_tr") and the connection works fine. However, when I attempt to connect this transaction within the Jaguar component I get the following: SQLCODE=-1 SQLDBCODE=999 SQLERRTEXT="An invalid handle was passed in a call to the database driver." This is a non-cache connection (i.e. I populate and connect the transaction within an object function in the compo...

ODBC connection string
Hello, anywhere 5.5 I'm trying to conntct to non running database using SQLDriverConnect. The string looks like: 'DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DBF=e:\art\base\db_card.db;UID=DBA;PWD=123' When i connect to dtabase using that, a small box prompting for user id and a password input appears. User id and password fields in the dialog box being filled and all i left to do is clicking on the 'OK' button. How to get rid of that nasty window? Thanks All you have to do is in your connection parameter use ConnectOption='SQL_DRIVER_NOPROMPT' Erol Beynam...

ODBC Connection problems...
I'm attempting to connect to SQL Server through a ODBC source. I can conncect through normal means, but when I try to set it up for ODBC it cannot connect. Does any one have any ideas? The error code that I am getting is -1 for PB and 999 for SQL Server. This is the exact text: SQLSTATE = IM001 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function Any ideas? Thanks for your time. Jacob Aldridge > I'm attempting to connect to SQL Server through a ODBC source. I can > conncect through normal means, but when I try to set it up for ODBC it > can...

ODBC connection problem
I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user. I am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2 latest update. The OS on the target machine is either Vista 32 bit or XP 32 bit. I am having problems getting my application to the read the ODBC data for the second database connection. On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works well. My program has two database connections. One for a local database and one to a remote database that collects data to do billing. On the target machines the program connects to the local database without any problem. When...

Web resources about - ODBC dsn-less Connection string problem - sybase.connectivity.odbc

French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart
CNN French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart CNN A forensic scientist works near a Paris cafe on Saturday, ...

"News Feed" For Slower Connections: Facebook's Strategy To Build A Stronger User Base
The changes in News Feed will more efficiently show relevant stories in a slow connection and let users compose comments when they are offline. ...