DSN-less connection string problem

I am trying to interface with 2 sybase databases, from an MS Access
application (97). I would like the user to be able to switch between the 2
sybase databases. If I use a file DSN the user has to close the application
and then restart it to connect to a different server/db.
I would like to avoid this and any configuring of the users machines and
connect through VBA only.

I've managed to get some of the functionality I want by using this
connection string: "ODBC;driver={SYBASE SYSTEM
11};SRVR=SYB4;LogonID=yyyyyy;Password=xxxxx;Database=dbname"

I can use the above string to connect a pass-through query to syb4 and then
re-connect to syb3, However a DSN like login box appears each time, I think
this is because the server part of the sting is not recognised (as each
time the login appears all the other details are there except the sever). I
have tried variations on the server statement ie ServerName=syb4 but this
cause's an error (-7778), and any others are simply ignored.

'Servername' is the correct syntax I think, so either it's another type of
error or I'm missing somthing from my connection string.

Thanks in advance
Mike.

0
Mike

Hi Mike,

You might want to try adding "WorkArounds" to the conenction string.

For example:

"WorkArounds=4.  Some applications require two connections to
a database system.  Since some database systems support only one
connection, the second connection attempt fails.  Turning this option
on causes our drivers to detect this condition and have the two ODBC
connections share a single physical connection to the database system."

From the readme file that accompanies the ODBC drivers:

"Microsoft Access and Visual Basic Users
---------------------------------------
We recommend that users of Microsoft Access and Visual Basic
add the value pair WorkArounds=25 (1+8+16) for each data source they
use with Access and Visual Basic.  For data sources that support a
single connection, add the line WorkArounds=29 (1+4+8+16)."

System 11 is a very old driver.  You may also consider upgrading to
ODBC 12.0 or 12.5 - Both of these are ODBC 3.50 compliant and fully supported
by Sybase.

System 11 is at the end of engineering support, but still you can use it, just
no new fixes will be made on this driver.

pv

Mike wrote:

> I am trying to interface with 2 sybase databases, from an MS Access
> application (97). I would like the user to be able to switch between the 2
> sybase databases. If I use a file DSN the user has to close the application
> and then restart it to connect to a different server/db.
> I would like to avoid this and any configuring of the users machines and
> connect through VBA only.
>
> I've managed to get some of the functionality I want by using this
> connection string: "ODBC;driver={SYBASE SYSTEM
> 11};SRVR=SYB4;LogonID=yyyyyy;Password=xxxxx;Database=dbname"
>
> I can use the above string to connect a pass-through query to syb4 and then
> re-connect to syb3, However a DSN like login box appears each time, I think
> this is because the server part of the sting is not recognised (as each
> time the login appears all the other details are there except the sever). I
> have tried variations on the server statement ie ServerName=syb4 but this
> cause's an error (-7778), and any others are simply ignored.
>
> 'Servername' is the correct syntax I think, so either it's another type of
> error or I'm missing somthing from my connection string.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mike.

0
odbcpse
12/2/2002 7:30:15 PM
Thanks for the repley, I tried the workaround in the string, It did not
seam to help, Is there somewhere where these workarounds are documented,
I've searched the site with little success.

Thanks Mike.

0
Mike
12/5/2002 9:39:20 PM
Hi Mike -

If you have an EBF of the ODBC driver (or the GA release) there should be
a readme.txt file included with the distribution.

This includes all of the current WorkAround switches with descriptions of
each item.

pv

Mike wrote:

> Thanks for the repley, I tried the workaround in the string, It did not
> seam to help, Is there somewhere where these workarounds are documented,
> I've searched the site with little success.
>
> Thanks Mike.

0
odbcpse

ODBC dsn-less Connection string problem
Hello all, I have a webservice built with .NET 2003, that is running at a remote client site, that is running SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0.3. For some reason the WebService is unable to connect to their database. I tested on my dev box with SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 with no problems, however; at the client site is returns the error: ERROR [08001] [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string attribute Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] In...

Problem connecting with DNS-less connection string (using ASP)
My connection works if I connect using the DSN, the connection string being: "DSN=SybaseAdminDev;username=sa;password=intershop" but if I try using a DSN-less connection string: "Driver={Sybase System 11}; Server=ISSERVER; Database=sybsystemprocs; UID=sa; PWD=intershop" I get the error: --------------------------------------------- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver]Insufficient information to connect to the data source. /sybasetest/getDBsizes.asp, line 13 --------------------------...

DSN-Less Connection String for Informix ODBC driver
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C55C.047A470E Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Since I hadn't heard back from anyone, I did some more research and playing around and got the right combination and here are results: For DSN-Less connection string that can be used with Informix Client-SDK 2.5 ODBC driver to connect using Perl (5.005_3) on Win32, DBI, DBD::ODBC (0.28) 1. Once the Informix Client-SDK has been installed, there is a Informix Client-SDK utility called SetNet32 that has be run to set up the proper Informix vars, such as host, server, service, etc. ...

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

DSN-less connection string
Hi, I am trying to figure out how to make a DSN-less connection string for a .NET projekt, but I can't get it right. It has to connect to a remote server and my most recent attempt is: "ODBC:Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0;CommLinks=tcpip(HOST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;ServerPort=xxxx); eng=servername;Dbn=dbname;Uid=username;Pwd=password;Dsn="";" Since it doesn't work and I can't find any samples online(except one that has been copied to 5 different sites and does not include the remote server values) I would really appreciate if someone could enlighte...

DSN Less ODBC Connection
Why is this Code not working? If ra_trusted = true Then lst_connectionstring ="ConnectionString='Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" + ra_server +";DATABASE=MASTER;Trusted_Connection=True'" Else lst_connectionstring ="ConnectionString='Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" + ra_server + ";DATABASE=MASTER;UID=" + ra_user + ";Pwd=" + ra_pwd + "'" End if TRY //Set Connection Options SQLCA.DBMS = "ODBC" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = lst_connectionstring // And no...

How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App
I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name - no problem. I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client. I can connect with a DSN - no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up. I don't want to setup a DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to. We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0) Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine. RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath + "\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN=&#...

not connected when I am connected

OLEDB Connection problem using Connect String from Web.config
Hi,Cananybody tell me why I am getting the following error for the following code below An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString.  An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'. "Ppp" is a connection defined in Web.config which works with SqlDatasource in the application. DataSet RunQuery(String QueryString) { String ConnectionString = System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["Ppp"].ConnectionString; OleDbConnection DBConnection = new OleDbConnection( ConnectionString); OleDbDataAdapter DBAdapter; DataSet ResultsDataSet = new DataSet(); M....

Problem wit migrating Informix Firedac ODBC connection to Infx Connection
Now Firedac in XE6 supports Informix natively besides odbc, i decided to use the native way from now on. However, i came up with some odd behaviour: Take the following query: select * from fys_punt_im where nummer = "1000"; Where column nummer is of type varchar(10). When executing this query using Firedac Infx connection i get the error: ERROR: SQL state: 42S22. Native error: -217. Error message: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Column (1000) not found in any table in the query (or SLV is undefined). However when executing the same query using Firedac ODBC conn...

Database connection problem, perhaps an incorrect connection string? Please help!
Hi guys. I've put together this little bit of C# code to read a SQL Server 2005 database. However once the program compiles, the data does not load and populate the datagrid. I think that my connection string might be incorrect, but not sure. If anyone has any idea then I would be extremely grateful.  Heres the code.... using System; using System.Data; using System.Configuration; using System.Collections; using System.Web; using System.Web.Security; using System.Web.UI; using System.Web.UI.WebControls; using System.Web.UI.WebControls.WebParts; using System.Web.UI.HtmlCont...

ODBC
Hello everyone: I deployed SQL Anywhere 9 and have set up DSN's to access the db properly. I have a need to restrict access to the database to "read-only" if accessing outside the main application. I am concerned about savvy users being able to link to the DB tables via MS access provided they know the DSN name. What I want to be able to do is: 1) keep the current DSN configuration but give the current user on the DSN "Read-Only" access 2) From within the authorized application, switch the links on all the tables to log in as another user and passw...

DSN-Less Connection String Examples in VB6 to SQLA
This should work with other versions of SQLA or ASA. Where there is more than one database being handled by one Service SQLAPROD service manages CustomerDB and InvoicesDB....etc) you WILL need to user the DATABASE option within the Connection String. If you do not, it will default database of the Service will be the first database the Service opened (CustomerDB in this case). Here is an updated connection string example (it works) This connects to the first loaded database......in this case it will be CustomerDB: strConn = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywher...

Symmetrical password encryption in DSN-less connection string
I am trying to connect to ASE 15.0.3 which requires symmetrical password encryption. Using ODBC from SDK ESD#17. I can connect to server through DSN which has enabled "Encrypt Password" check box. But I need to connect without creating DSN. So I am doing: SQLDriverConnect(hdbc, NULL, "Driver={Adaptive Server Anywhere};Server=..;Port=...;UID=..;PWD=..;EncryptedPassword=2", outConnectString, sizeof(outConnectString), &lenOfOutConnectString, SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE); That fails with errors: SQLState=ZZZZZ NativeError=1640 [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Ada...

Web resources about - DSN-less connection string problem - sybase.connectivity.odbc

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

FBI mulls connection between Super Bowl, CA fiber optic cable cuttings
... authorities, who have been baffled by more than a dozen attacks on San Francisco Bay Area data lines, are probing whether there is any connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.

Star Wars Rebels Trailer Reveals Force Awakens Connection - Collider
The new extended trailer for the mid-season premiere of the Disney XD animated series Star Wars Rebels reveals a huge connection to The Force ...