Connect to Database in Sybase Central

I just upgraded to Sybase ASA 8.0.2.  I still have ASA 6.0.4 on my pc as
well.  I am having trouble connecting to the databases in Sybase central.  I
can connect in the odbc administrator and through the application that is
the front end.  We have two network cards on the server so I specify the
host ip address in the odbc.  Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Rhea

Do you have trouble connecting to both? And can you please post your connection
string(s)?

I haven't got a verion 6 anymore, so I cannot verify, but I do not think you can
connect to both version 6 and 8 servers from 1 single Sybase Central; the one
shipped with V6 cannot connect to V8 and vice versa.

Rhea Urusky wrote:

> I just upgraded to Sybase ASA 8.0.2.  I still have ASA 6.0.4 on my pc as
> well.  I am having trouble connecting to the databases in Sybase central.  I
> can connect in the odbc administrator and through the application that is
> the front end.  We have two network cards on the server so I specify the
> host ip address in the odbc.  Any ideas on what the problem might be?
> Thanks

0
Bart
2/6/2003 5:09:54 PM
Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  I upgraded our databases to 8.0.2
and I am running only the upgraded databases on our novell server, ie I am
running dbsrv8.nlm to load the databases.  I cannot connect to these
databases in Sybase Central 4.1.1, the version that comes with ASA 8. I get
this error: Not enough information was given to connect or to start the
database.The datasource you have selected does not contain a server name.
Enter the name or network address of the server in the 'server name' field.
....  The odbc does contain the server name and I have no trouble connecting
to the database through the odbc or through my applications that are the
front end for the databases. I just tried connecting to the databases
through Sybase central for ASA 6 and I can connect no problem, which seems
weird to me as they are asa 8 databases now, not asa 6 ones.  Anyway, I am
wondering if sybase cntral for asa 8 is confused because I still have asa 6
installed on my pc (personal server as well).  Also, if I use sybase central
for asa 6 to add tables and make changes to these databases, is that ok?  I
need to add some tables to one of the databases so I need to figure this out
soon.  Thanks.

"Bart" <bartvankuijk_spam_go@away_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Do you have trouble connecting to both? And can you please post your
connection
> string(s)?
>
> I haven't got a verion 6 anymore, so I cannot verify, but I do not think
you can
> connect to both version 6 and 8 servers from 1 single Sybase Central; the
one
> shipped with V6 cannot connect to V8 and vice versa.
>
> Rhea Urusky wrote:
>
> > I just upgraded to Sybase ASA 8.0.2.  I still have ASA 6.0.4 on my pc as
> > well.  I am having trouble connecting to the databases in Sybase
central.  I
> > can connect in the odbc administrator and through the application that
is
> > the front end.  We have two network cards on the server so I specify the
> > host ip address in the odbc.  Any ideas on what the problem might be?
> > Thanks

0
Rhea
2/6/2003 5:24:07 PM
Having a Version 6 install on your PC should not have an influence on SC 4.1.1
behaviour.
What happens if you do not use the datasource, but fill in all the fields
manually in SC 4.1.1?
Can you connect that way?

Well, I found out you can conect to ASA 8 using Sybase Central shipped with ASA
6.
I can't see any harm in adding a few tables this way.

Rhea Urusky wrote:

> Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  I upgraded our databases to 8.0.2
> and I am running only the upgraded databases on our novell server, ie I am
> running dbsrv8.nlm to load the databases.  I cannot connect to these
> databases in Sybase Central 4.1.1, the version that comes with ASA 8. I get
> this error: Not enough information was given to connect or to start the
> database.The datasource you have selected does not contain a server name.
> Enter the name or network address of the server in the 'server name' field.
> ...  The odbc does contain the server name and I have no trouble connecting
> to the database through the odbc or through my applications that are the
> front end for the databases. I just tried connecting to the databases
> through Sybase central for ASA 6 and I can connect no problem, which seems
> weird to me as they are asa 8 databases now, not asa 6 ones.  Anyway, I am
> wondering if sybase cntral for asa 8 is confused because I still have asa 6
> installed on my pc (personal server as well).  Also, if I use sybase central
> for asa 6 to add tables and make changes to these databases, is that ok?  I
> need to add some tables to one of the databases so I need to figure this out
> soon.  Thanks.
>
> "Bart" <bartvankuijk_spam_go@away_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Do you have trouble connecting to both? And can you please post your
> connection
> > string(s)?
> >
> > I haven't got a verion 6 anymore, so I cannot verify, but I do not think
> you can
> > connect to both version 6 and 8 servers from 1 single Sybase Central; the
> one
> > shipped with V6 cannot connect to V8 and vice versa.
> >
> > Rhea Urusky wrote:
> >
> > > I just upgraded to Sybase ASA 8.0.2.  I still have ASA 6.0.4 on my pc as
> > > well.  I am having trouble connecting to the databases in Sybase
> central.  I
> > > can connect in the odbc administrator and through the application that
> is
> > > the front end.  We have two network cards on the server so I specify the
> > > host ip address in the odbc.  Any ideas on what the problem might be?
> > > Thanks

0
Bart
2/7/2003 4:00:27 PM
No, if I don't use the datasource I still can't connect.  I've tried
everything.  It seems to have a problem finding the ASA server running on
our novell server. I have copied the databases to my pc and I can connect to
them in SC 4.1.1 when they are on my pc, just not those running on the
server.  I am going to uninstall ASA 6 and see if that makes any difference.
I noticed that when I connect to the ASA 8 databases in SC shipped with ASA
6 that if I go to properties of the database it says it is a 6.0.3 database
and yet when I connect to them (from my pc) with SC 4.1.1, I don't get the
message telling me I am trying to connect to a version 6 database and must
upgrade it, so I assume the upgrade was successful.

> Having a Version 6 install on your PC should not have an influence on SC
4.1.1
> behaviour.
> What happens if you do not use the datasource, but fill in all the fields
> manually in SC 4.1.1?
> Can you connect that way?
>
> Well, I found out you can conect to ASA 8 using Sybase Central shipped
with ASA
> 6.
> I can't see any harm in adding a few tables this way.
>
> Rhea Urusky wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  I upgraded our databases to
8.0.2
> > and I am running only the upgraded databases on our novell server, ie I
am
> > running dbsrv8.nlm to load the databases.  I cannot connect to these
> > databases in Sybase Central 4.1.1, the version that comes with ASA 8. I
get
> > this error: Not enough information was given to connect or to start the
> > database.The datasource you have selected does not contain a server
name.
> > Enter the name or network address of the server in the 'server name'
field.
> > ...  The odbc does contain the server name and I have no trouble
connecting
> > to the database through the odbc or through my applications that are the
> > front end for the databases. I just tried connecting to the databases
> > through Sybase central for ASA 6 and I can connect no problem, which
seems
> > weird to me as they are asa 8 databases now, not asa 6 ones.  Anyway, I
am
> > wondering if sybase cntral for asa 8 is confused because I still have
asa 6
> > installed on my pc (personal server as well).  Also, if I use sybase
central
> > for asa 6 to add tables and make changes to these databases, is that ok?
> > need to add some tables to one of the databases so I need to figure this
out
> > soon.  Thanks.
> >
> > "Bart" <bartvankuijk_spam_go@away_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Do you have trouble connecting to both? And can you please post your
> > connection
> > > string(s)?
> > >
> > > I haven't got a verion 6 anymore, so I cannot verify, but I do not
think
> > you can
> > > connect to both version 6 and 8 servers from 1 single Sybase Central;
the
> > one
> > > shipped with V6 cannot connect to V8 and vice versa.

> > central.  I
> > is

0
Rhea
2/7/2003 4:09:43 PM
I just removed ASA6 from my pc and now I can connect in SC 4.1.1, but only
with the JDBC - ODBC bridge.  If I use  J connect5 and the odbc datasource I
get this error: J zone incorrect URL format URL 192.168.0.50:2638:2638
java.lang.NumberFormatException:2638:2638.  I don't have java installed in
my databases, is that why I get this error?  If I use J connect5 and don't
use the odbc, supplying the server name and database file, I get the same
error I was getting before I removed ASA6.

"Bart" <bartvankuijk_spam_go@away_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Having a Version 6 install on your PC should not have an influence on SC
4.1.1
> behaviour.
> What happens if you do not use the datasource, but fill in all the fields
> manually in SC 4.1.1?
> Can you connect that way?
>
> Well, I found out you can conect to ASA 8 using Sybase Central shipped
with ASA
> 6.
> I can't see any harm in adding a few tables this way.
>
> Rhea Urusky wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I should have been more explicit.  I upgraded our databases to
8.0.2
> > and I am running only the upgraded databases on our novell server, ie I
am
> > running dbsrv8.nlm to load the databases.  I cannot connect to these
> > databases in Sybase Central 4.1.1, the version that comes with ASA 8. I
get
> > this error: Not enough information was given to connect or to start the
> > database.The datasource you have selected does not contain a server
name.
> > Enter the name or network address of the server in the 'server name'
field.
> > ...  The odbc does contain the server name and I have no trouble
connecting
> > to the database through the odbc or through my applications that are the
> > front end for the databases. I just tried connecting to the databases
> > through Sybase central for ASA 6 and I can connect no problem, which
seems
> > weird to me as they are asa 8 databases now, not asa 6 ones.  Anyway, I
am
> > wondering if sybase cntral for asa 8 is confused because I still have
asa 6
> > installed on my pc (personal server as well).  Also, if I use sybase
central
> > for asa 6 to add tables and make changes to these databases, is that ok?
> > need to add some tables to one of the databases so I need to figure this
out
> > soon.  Thanks.
> >
> > "Bart" <bartvankuijk_spam_go@away_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Do you have trouble connecting to both? And can you please post your
> > connection
> > > string(s)?
> > >
> > > I haven't got a verion 6 anymore, so I cannot verify, but I do not
think
> > you can
> > > connect to both version 6 and 8 servers from 1 single Sybase Central;
the
> > one
> > > shipped with V6 cannot connect to V8 and vice versa.

> > central.  I
> > is

0
Rhea

ODBC Connection parameter for ASA database for FireDac Connectivity
Hi , we are migrating our Delphi application from BDE to FireDac and during the database connectivity in BDE we have used below ODBC connection code parameter: ====================================== Connection definition parameters for BDE ===================================== DATABASE NAME = Globalware.db ODBC DSN= Globalware32 OPEN MODE=READ/WRITE BATCH COUNT=200 MAX ROWS=-1 SCHEMA CACHE SIZE=8 SCHEMA CACHE TIME=-1 SQLPASSTHRU MODE=SHARED AUTOCOMMIT ENABLE SCHEMA CACHE=FALSE ENABLE BCD=FALSE ...

not connected when I am connected

Wifi connection and database connection
What is the solution to recovering the connection to a remote database (i.e. in a wifi environment due to loss of coverage or in case the machine goes into standby)? Could we check for specific SQLDBCodes? Do we need to destroy the SQLCA or is there a workaround? ...

How do connect your page to your database connection?
How do connect your page to your database connection? I have created a page, default.aspx. I have created a database connection to an Access database. I see the connection in the little database window on the right hand side of WebMatrix--okay, now how to I get my page, default.aspx, to connect to the connection? Web.config file? If so, how do I config the config file using the WYSIWYG interface of WebMatirx? Or if there is another way to set this up? I know how to do this in Dreamweaver MX, but WebMatrix is still baffling to me. How much of it truly is a WYSIWYG and how much...

How can I change my connection to a different database...it is not connecting to the database I created.
My data is connected to the ASPNETDB.MDF database. Is this a must that I have it connected to this database or can I have it connected to a database that I created. You can connect to different database such as sql or other access files. All you have to do is to define which connection string to use within your web.config file. If you want to make sure that your database is prepared to be used, use features such as ASPNET_REGSQL.EXE at VS Command Prompt. Hope this helps. Jae.jae.lee@jaeleeandco.com I'm in the Army...here in Georgia. Is it cold there.. Hi Jae,    &nb...

"Transaction not connected" error trying to connect to an ODBC database via PB7 Com in MTS
Non-database com object in MTS works aok, but connecting to a MSSQL Server database fails with "Transaction not connected" error. Seems like a rudimentary issue. Any tutorials or white papers re PB7/MSSqlServer 6.5/MTS? Any help apprecicated. -bac More details... DTS IS running on SQL Server. "Robert A. Chauvin" wrote: > Non-database com object in MTS works aok, but connecting to a MSSQL > Server database fails with "Transaction not connected" error. > > Seems like a rudimentary issue. > > Any tutorials or white pap...

database connection failed with connection cache
I have a connection cache on jag 3.6.1 using com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.sybdrives. I am able to ping the connection in jag manager. My problem is in PowerJ 3.6.1. I setup a transaction object using the database wizard(very cool), change it to use a cache and even find the connection cache on the server. when I try to test the connection, I first select a profile jconnect5 and try the connection. I get this error: database connection failed jz006: cought a IoException java.net.connectionException connection refused, no further info. any ideas would be great! You can only...

During connection lost, how to close database connection
I'm using TidTCPServer OnExecute method. When client connect to server, I create Database connection with Unidac to PostGreSQL (connection ceated and handled inside onExecute). Problem is when the connection to client is lost, the connection to database does'nt disappear. When cheking from PostGRE pgAdmin there is several connections more than what we have clients. I have tried to put dbConnect.close or FreeandNil(dbConnect) or dbConnect.Free in try.. except.. end except block. But it looks like when the connection is lost, the thread stop/collaps and the database connection stay...

Why does connection connect to Master instead of my database?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006D_01CADAEF.B8BC7D80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable No matter what combination I try, unless we issue an "Execute immediate = 'use PBTestCompat'" after the connection is made, the connection is made = to the Master database instead of to the PBTestCompat database. 1. In this scenario the connection is made to the "Master" database = instead of PBTestCompat. To get around this we issue "Execute immediate = ...

Connect to Other ODBC Database
Hi Is it possible to connect to an ODBC database other than a Sybase one from within a stored procedure ? The goal here is to be able to copy data from one database (In this case a foxpro db into a Sybase database without the need to export and import data). If so, is there any documentation on this topic with connection syntaxes etc? Verison of Sybase 6.0.03 Thanks in Advance Hi, yes, its possible. Read the Chapter 28 of the ASA User's Manual - Accessing Remote Data. Cheers, Hartmut Branz Sybase Product Support Engineering Adaptive Server Anywhere T...

ODBC database connection
I've not done any programming for years, last time was ASP and now I see there is this thing called ASP.NET !!! bassically i can't find code anywhere to create an ODBC connection, can someone tell me how. I have however found the below code to connect to a file database, i have tried guessing what it might be, but just get errors.  <script runat="server">sub Page_Load   dim dbconn   dbconn=New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;   data source=" & server.mappath("northwind.mdb")) ...

Database Explorer not connecting in VWD 2005 express client 'connect to database'
I see red X over the database ASPNETDB.MDF. I went through a config. problem with sql server 2008 express client decided to retun to my original SQL server 2005 express client. This is now configured and I connect to my remote SQL server 2005 account. But I use to be able to connect also with my VWD 2005 express client and I could see all my object files, tables logins etc. it was great, now I can't connect I get this error when I choose data source>MS SQL server/.net framework data provider for SQL server>server name>authority>database name...

SFtp connect
The following Ftp connect to a sftp site has the right port/usrname/password [verified thru filezilla], but when I try to connect via TIDFTP -- I get "Connection Closed Gracefully" upon ftp->Connect();; The ftp properties are below the code. I have no other Indy objects on the form. It ocurred to me that I may need something for sftp. ftp->Connect(); if (ftp->Connected()) { ::Sleep(1); } object ftp: TIdFTP AutoLogin = True Host = 'ftp.dailyaccess.com' Password ='XXXXX' Port = 21 Username = 'charles.leggette' ProxySet...

The connection is already open and the connection state is connecting.
Hello, I am getting this error time to time randomly. My web application is built on asp.net 3.5 which uses ODBC 5.1 driver to connect to mysql database. I have a separate database class which handles the connection, execute, fetching and all. The application runs fine for sometime then suddenly the users start getting this error after which the application fails to insert select from database. I have posted in this forum couple of times now and no one is really contributing or helping me. Please..Any help will be highly appreciated.. Many thanks, Viv The database abstract loo...

Web resources about - Connect to Database in Sybase Central - sybase.connectivity.odbc

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Botched database leaks records for 191 million voters
... sometime this century? If so, your personal info may be out in the open. Researcher Chris Vickery has discovered that a badly configured database ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.

Database Leak Exposes 3.3 Million 'Hello Kitty' Fans
... was accessible. Vickery told Reuters by e-mail that the company had plugged the holes he had found in three servers. But he said the database ...

Access Tons of Books, Photos, and Videos in the New York Public Library's Digital Database
... information, and materials anyone can use. Even better, all of it’s free. And the New York Public Library now offers access to a massive database ...