ASE ODBC Driver 15.x backward compatible with ASE 12.5.x

Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will
work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is backward
compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored procedures
in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type users to work.

--

Thank You
Scott Kellish

--- Quote of the Minute ---

Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to
get along without it.

Scott Kellish, Owner
SoftSystem Solutions, LLC.
18 Ridge Road
Clark, New Jersey 07066 USA

Tel.     +01 732 382 1873
Fax:     +01 732 382 1873
Mobile:  +01 732 261-5856
e-mail:  skellish@softsystemsolutions.com

Scott

Hi Scott,

Sybase has no such fomral statement.  However, it is typical for ASE
connectivity in-market
products to be backward compatible.  Therefore you can use the 15.0 clients
with ASE 12.5.X servers,
[preferably at the ASE 12.5.4 level].  Why do you need to install the
catalogs for the MS stuff to work?
What's the problem?

-Paul

"Scott Kellish" <skellish@softsystemsolutions.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will
> work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is
> backward compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored
> procedures in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type
> users to work.
>
> --
>
> Thank You
> Scott Kellish
>
> --- Quote of the Minute ---
>
> Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to
> get along without it.

> Scott Kellish, Owner
> SoftSystem Solutions, LLC.
> 18 Ridge Road
> Clark, New Jersey 07066 USA
>
> Tel.     +01 732 382 1873
> Fax:     +01 732 382 1873
> Mobile:  +01 732 261-5856
> e-mail:  skellish@softsystemsolutions.com

Paul
9/17/2009 7:04:04 PM
Thanks,
I was told by our testers that when using the 15 client against a 12.5.2
database from MS Excel, they received errors about specific cataloging
stored procedures not being available. I've have also seen a couple of other
posts here stating the Sybase started providing new cataloging stored
procedures with 12.5.4 which are using by 12.5.4 and later ODBC driver which
need to be manually added to existing 12.5.x databases prior to 12.5.4.

Scott

"Paul Vero [Sybase]" <pvero@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi Scott,
>
> Sybase has no such fomral statement.  However, it is typical for ASE
> connectivity in-market
> products to be backward compatible.  Therefore you can use the 15.0
> clients with ASE 12.5.X servers,
> [preferably at the ASE 12.5.4 level].  Why do you need to install the
> catalogs for the MS stuff to work?
> What's the problem?
>
> -Paul
>
> "Scott Kellish" <skellish@softsystemsolutions.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will
>> work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is
>> backward compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored
>> procedures in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type
>> users to work.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thank You
>> Scott Kellish
>>
>> --- Quote of the Minute ---
>>
>> Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how
>> to get along without it.

>> Scott Kellish, Owner
>> SoftSystem Solutions, LLC.
>> 18 Ridge Road
>> Clark, New Jersey 07066 USA
>>
>> Tel.     +01 732 382 1873
>> Fax:     +01 732 382 1873
>> Mobile:  +01 732 261-5856
>> e-mail:  skellish@softsystemsolutions.com

Scott
9/17/2009 7:29:41 PM

> Hi Scott,
>
> Sybase has no such fomral statement.  However, it is typical for ASE
> connectivity in-market
> products to be backward compatible.  Therefore you can use the 15.0
> clients with ASE 12.5.X servers,
> [preferably at the ASE 12.5.4 level].  Why do you need to install the
> catalogs for the MS stuff to work?
> What's the problem?
>
> -Paul
>
> "Scott Kellish" <skellish@softsystemsolutions.com> wrote in message
>> Can anyone point me to a statement by Sybase that ASE ODBC Driver 15 will
>> work with ASE 12.5.x databases? I'm under the impression that it is
>> backward compatible but I will need to install the 15.x cataloging stored
>> procedures in the 12.5.x servers to allow MS Access / Excel / Query type
>> users to work.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Thank You
>> Scott Kellish
>>
>> --- Quote of the Minute ---
>>
>> Dilbert's Words of Wisdom: Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how
>> to get along without it.

>> Scott Kellish, Owner
>> SoftSystem Solutions, LLC.
>> 18 Ridge Road
>> Clark, New Jersey 07066 USA
>>
>> Tel.     +01 732 382 1873
>> Fax:     +01 732 382 1873
>> Mobile:  +01 732 261-5856
>> e-mail:  skellish@softsystemsolutions.com

Scott
9/17/2009 7:33:15 PM
Hi Scott,

The versions of ASE ODBC Drivers, provided by Sybase are in the SDK 12.5.1
and 15.0,
with respective versions 12.5.1.XXX and 15.0.0.XXX
Filename of both is sybdrvodb.dll

This driver does require the catalog stored procedures - in which ASE 12.5.4
and higher will apply
a version of the procedures during the install master process.

The catalogs are also provided by the SDKs 12.5.1 and 15.0, in the
%SYBASE%\DataAccess\ODBC\sp
folder - which uses a batch file to install the scripts, using ISQL.  Also,
these scripts include versions which you obtain
by executing "sp_version" on the ASE.  This will work for ASE 12.5.3 and
higher - maybe not so good on prior ASE
versions (12.5.1 and 12.5.2 might work - I haven't checked on those in a
while, as also 12.5.0.3)

The version information is helpful to know what level scripts are in place
on the particular ASE.

You can technically install 15.0 CSPs on the 12.5.4 ASE, you just won't be
able to use an ASE 15.0 features,
which may or may not apply with the scripts once in place.  I suggest you
try it, test it out and if things
work out you're good - I suggest to always keep up with the SDK ESDs
(patches) for the ODBC Driver,
to keep up with the changes.  Scripts don't change too often, but when they
do, the changes are
usually first available in the ESD scripts.