ADO Connection Does Not Work W/ Same Parameters As DSN Connection

Folks,

Could you please help me with the following code? When the program gets to
the line that says:

      .Open userid:="myID", Password:="myPassword"

I get an error message saying "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source
name not found and no default driver specified". What I can't figure out is
I'm not using a data source name and what do I need a default driver for?
I've already specified the driver and it's right where I said it was.

I'm running on an NT 4.0 (SP4) platform using VB6 (SP5). My references are

* Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library (c:\Program Files\Common
Files\Sysytem\ADO\msado15.dll)

* Microsoft Data Binding Collection VB 6.0 (SP4)
(c:\WINNT\System32\MSBND.DLL)

I created a DSN -- that worked -- and then loked at the registry to examine
the values I specified in order to transfer them to the connection string.
Curiously the entry for (Default) was (value not set).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Don

==================
Option Explicit

Private mcnADODB                As ADODB.Connection

Public Function MakeADOConnection( ) As ADODB.Connection

'Do stuff

    Set mcnADODB = New ADODB.Connection
    With mcnADODB
      .CursorLocation = adUseClient
      .ConnectionString = "AutoStop=yes;" & _
          "commlinks=sharedmemory;" & _
          "databasefile=c:\ooo.db;" & _
          "databasename=oes;driver=c:\dbodbc8.dll;" & _
          "integrated=no;start=dbeng8"
      .Mode = adModeRead
      .Open userid:="myID", Password:="myPassword"
    End With
    mblnConnected = True

'Do more stuff

End Function

0
Don

Hi Don,

You might want to forward this to the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
newsgroup.

pv

Don Stallone wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Could you please help me with the following code? When the program gets to
> the line that says:
>
>       .Open userid:="myID", Password:="myPassword"
>
> I get an error message saying "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source
> name not found and no default driver specified". What I can't figure out is
> I'm not using a data source name and what do I need a default driver for?
> I've already specified the driver and it's right where I said it was.
>
> I'm running on an NT 4.0 (SP4) platform using VB6 (SP5). My references are
>
> * Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library (c:\Program Files\Common
> Files\Sysytem\ADO\msado15.dll)
>
> * Microsoft Data Binding Collection VB 6.0 (SP4)
> (c:\WINNT\System32\MSBND.DLL)
>
> I created a DSN -- that worked -- and then loked at the registry to examine
> the values I specified in order to transfer them to the connection string.
> Curiously the entry for (Default) was (value not set).
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> TIA
> Don
>
> ==================
> Option Explicit
>
> Private mcnADODB                As ADODB.Connection
>
> Public Function MakeADOConnection( ) As ADODB.Connection
>
> 'Do stuff
>
>     Set mcnADODB = New ADODB.Connection
>     With mcnADODB
>       .CursorLocation = adUseClient
>       .ConnectionString = "AutoStop=yes;" & _
>           "commlinks=sharedmemory;" & _
>           "databasefile=c:\ooo.db;" & _
>           "databasename=oes;driver=c:\dbodbc8.dll;" & _
>           "integrated=no;start=dbeng8"
>       .Mode = adModeRead
>       .Open userid:="myID", Password:="myPassword"
>     End With
>     mblnConnected = True
>
> 'Do more stuff
>
> End Function

0
odbcpse
9/2/2003 11:17:48 PM
Hi pv

Thank you. I really appreciate the help as I am at my wit's end. BTW I
really like your email address!

Don

"odbcpse" <human@earth.com> wrote in message
> Hi Don,
>
> You might want to forward this to the sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
> newsgroup.
>
> pv
>
> Don Stallone wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > Could you please help me with the following code? When the program gets
> > the line that says:
> >
> >       .Open userid:="myID", Password:="myPassword"
> >
> > I get an error message saying "[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data
source
> > name not found and no default driver specified". What I can't figure out
is
> > I'm not using a data source name and what do I need a default driver
for?
> > I've already specified the driver and it's right where I said it was.
> >
> > I'm running on an NT 4.0 (SP4) platform using VB6 (SP5). My references
are

> > * Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.5 Library (c:\Program Files\Common
> > Files\Sysytem\ADO\msado15.dll)
> >
> > * Microsoft Data Binding Collection VB 6.0 (SP4)
> > (c:\WINNT\System32\MSBND.DLL)
> >
> > I created a DSN -- that worked -- and then loked at the registry to
examine
> > the values I specified in order to transfer them to the connection
string.
> > Curiously the entry for (Default) was (value not set).
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > TIA
> > Don
> >
> > ==================
> > Option Explicit
> >
> > Private mcnADODB                As ADODB.Connection
> >
> > Public Function MakeADOConnection( ) As ADODB.Connection
> >
> > 'Do stuff
> >
> >     Set mcnADODB = New ADODB.Connection
> >     With mcnADODB
> >       .CursorLocation = adUseClient
> >       .ConnectionString = "AutoStop=yes;" & _
> >           "commlinks=sharedmemory;" & _
> >           "databasefile=c:\ooo.db;" & _
> >           "databasename=oes;driver=c:\dbodbc8.dll;" & _
> >           "integrated=no;start=dbeng8"
> >       .Mode = adModeRead
> >       .Open userid:="myID", Password:="myPassword"
> >     End With
> >     mblnConnected = True
> >
> > 'Do more stuff
> >
> > End Function

0
Don

not connected when I am connected

ODBC Connection parameter for ASA database for FireDac Connectivity
Hi , we are migrating our Delphi application from BDE to FireDac and during the database connectivity in BDE we have used below ODBC connection code parameter: ====================================== Connection definition parameters for BDE ===================================== DATABASE NAME = Globalware.db ODBC DSN= Globalware32 OPEN MODE=READ/WRITE BATCH COUNT=200 MAX ROWS=-1 SCHEMA CACHE SIZE=8 SCHEMA CACHE TIME=-1 SQLPASSTHRU MODE=SHARED AUTOCOMMIT ENABLE SCHEMA CACHE=FALSE ENABLE BCD=FALSE ...

Connect w/i PB then connect w/i application
PB 5.0.02 Oracle 7.3 Windows 95 I can connect to my database in the development environment of PowerBuilder using a Database Profile. I can go into the database painter and view my tables, etc. If I then attempt to run my application, which contains a script to connect to the same database, the application hangs and I must ALT-CTRL-DEL and End Task. If I run my application from within PowerBuilder without previously connecting to the database, the application runs without a problem. I did a trace and the application is hanging on the LOGIN: command. Any ideas??? Does ...

SFtp connect
The following Ftp connect to a sftp site has the right port/usrname/password [verified thru filezilla], but when I try to connect via TIDFTP -- I get "Connection Closed Gracefully" upon ftp->Connect();; The ftp properties are below the code. I have no other Indy objects on the form. It ocurred to me that I may need something for sftp. ftp->Connect(); if (ftp->Connected()) { ::Sleep(1); } object ftp: TIdFTP AutoLogin = True Host = 'ftp.dailyaccess.com' Password ='XXXXX' Port = 21 Username = 'charles.leggette' ProxySet...

The connection is already open and the connection state is connecting.
Hello, I am getting this error time to time randomly. My web application is built on asp.net 3.5 which uses ODBC 5.1 driver to connect to mysql database. I have a separate database class which handles the connection, execute, fetching and all. The application runs fine for sometime then suddenly the users start getting this error after which the application fails to insert select from database. I have posted in this forum couple of times now and no one is really contributing or helping me. Please..Any help will be highly appreciated.. Many thanks, Viv The database abstract loo...

Connection to Access query works in developer envir, but not on the web <OleDbException (0x80004005): ODBC--connection to 'ODBC' failed>
I am VERY frustrated with a seemingly simple problem.  I am creating a gridview in VWD (express or studio), then connecting to a query within an Access Database.  The results of the query display without problem in the developer envirornment, but simply will not display when copied out to the website.  The ODBC connection that the Access Database is using fails even on the local machine.  I have spent fruitless hours looking at all security settings in IIS and the effected folders.  I could re-write all the access queries in SQL and connect to the server direct...

XP network connections 1394 connection connected! huh?
Hi, XP Network Connections 1394 connection connected. There is no device plugged into my firewire port. Why does it show 1394 connection connected in Network connections? Maybe I just never noticed before.. While ducking under cover and reloading, I thought I heard code_wrong say: > Hi, > XP Network Connections 1394 connection connected. > There is no device plugged into my firewire port. > Why does it show 1394 connection connected in Network connections? > > Maybe I just never noticed before.. Same here, but like you said, nothing is plugged in so I...

@@connections and user connections
Hi! I've a doubt, I hope you can help me. I've ASE 11.9.3 on HP-UX 11.0. The problem is at times, when an user run an aplication, soon afterwards system log out him. I checked the log and I found the next error: 01:00000:00008:2000/06/28 11:15:27.32 server Error: 1601, Severity: 21, State: 3 01:00000:00008:2000/06/28 11:15:27.33 server There are not enough 'user connections' available to start a new process. Retry when there are fewer active users, or ask your System Administrator to reconfigure SQL Server with more user connections. But, the point is I...

Number of connections connected
hi, all I can limit the user connections to my sybase. But how can I know how many connections currently connected to my sybase ? Regards, Keene Hui Kenneth Hui wrote: > I can limit the user connections to my sybase. Do you mean on a per user basis? If so, no. > But how can I know how many connections currently connected > to my sybase ? 'sp_who' or 'select * from sysprocesses' will show the current connections. -am � 2001 ...

Connection within connection
I have a table that stores general information on employees. I have a related table that stores actions of those employees. What I would like to do is make a list of employees + their actions. I wanted to do something like this: Dim cnAccess As new OleDbConnection("provider=...") cnAccess.Open() Dim sSelect As String sSelect = "SELECT * FROM tblEmployees" Dim cmdSelect as New OleDbCommand(sSelect, cnAccess) Dim drEmployees As OleDbDataReader drEmployees = cmdSelect.ExecuteReader() Do While drEmployees.Read() 'get name 'ge...

OpenVPN no connectivity after connecting
My goal with the OpenSuSE machine I have set up is to be an OpenVPN server. So far so good, I have started the server and I am able to connect a Mac client (running TunnelBlick) to the server. However the client doesn't have any connectivity, I can't ping any addresses for example. The server is set up for bridging instead of routing as I want the remote client to get an IP address in the same range as the rest of the LAN. The client is getting an IP address from the range specified in my server.conf file, so that's a start, but the client can't talk to anyone. ...

Local connection works but not External connection
I have seen some of the threads talk about portal alias.I am very new to DotNetNuke.  I installed it on a little web server.  I can connect to Localhost/Myweb.  Then I added the machine name/web to the portal alias.  Therefore I can connect (on my lan) to MachineName/Myweb without any problem.I forwared port 81 to port 80 to the WebServer (in my linksys router).Now I am trying to connect to my website through the internet.Therefore I do:http://MyIp:81/MywebNothing happens.In IE I disabled Friendly Error Messages and I still can read at the bottom that IE is trying to reso...

Recycling connections in a ADO.Net connection pool
I have a requirement where I will need to get a handle on the existing connections in a particular ADO.Net connection pool (identified by the unique connection string) and close and open them one by one. This is because whenever we compile a package or stored procedure, ADO.Net does not realise this and keeps giving "Package is invalid" error. I am using ODP.Net Client 9.2.0.4. The current solution is to restart the application pool to flush the connection pool. Does anyone know how to get a list of all connection objects in the ADO.Net connection pool given a connection stri...

Web resources about - ADO Connection Does Not Work W/ Same Parameters As DSN Connection - sybase.connectivity.odbc

10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks
CNN 10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks CNN (CNN) Belgian police have arrested a 10th person in connection with last month's ...

Should auld connections be forgot...
This environmental testing company has strict data-retention requirements and they go beyond the data, reports a pilot fish on the scene. "Per ...

'How To Get Away With Murder' Season 2 Spoilers: Annalise, Wes, Eve's Connection Teased
... Away With Murder" season 2 will reveal more information about Annalise Keating (Viola Davis), Eve (Famke Janssen) and Wes' (Alfred Enoch) connection. ...