Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Aix 4.3.3

After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears
when I try to execute a strore procedure :

Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds the
maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query (return status = -6).

Is it a bug on ASE 12.5? Why could I run correctly this procedure on the old
version?

Fabien DUBOIS

0
Fabien
5/15/2002 3:35:46 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Fabien DUBOIS wrote:

> After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears
> when I try to execute a strore procedure :
>
> Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds the
> maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query (return status = -6).
>
> Is it a bug on ASE 12.5? Why could I run correctly this procedure on the old
> version?

	Did you actually do a migration or an upgrade? That is, did you
	load this sproc in? What happens if you run "dbcc upgrade_object"
	manually?

-am	� 2002
0
Anthony
5/17/2002 8:52:51 AM
Hi Fabien DUBOIS,

> After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears
> when I try to execute a strore procedure :
>
> Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds the
> maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query (return status = -6).
>
> Is it a bug on ASE 12.5? Why could I run correctly this procedure on the old
> version

If you could run the sproc in 120x, and without any
changes this sproc runs into this error, that is a bug,
and needs more analysis/info to figure out what is going
wrong. I'm interested in following this up so that we can
understand why this is happening.

Could you please post the full error message with
the Msg #, severity, state? That would help us find out
where from in the code this message is being raised. (You
are probably getting 255/16/1, from code inspection.)

Also, would you be able to extract out the SQL fragment
that is causing this error? I'm assuming you have access
to sproc code, and could dovetail your investigation to the
one SQL statement that causes this problem.

The message is telling that the estimated size of a
row in a worktable created for a GROUP BY query was too
large to fit in a 2K page size. Maybe you can eye-ball
your GROUP BY queries in the sproc to narrow down the
offending one. A table schema would help fix the column/
row lengths involved in the query.

Thanks,
-- Aditya.
0
Aditya
5/20/2002 8:20:02 PM
First of all, I would like to thank you for your answer. It was very fast.

I'm writing by return to give you additional information about my problem.

Here is the full error message :

"Server Message:  Number  255, Severity  16
 Procedure 'S_ListeEngagementAEnvoyerNDL', Line 150:
 Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds
the maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query.
 (return status = -6) "

I'm sending you the SQL fragment of the sproc that causes this error and the
worktable schema I use.

CREATE TABLE #OperationCSI ( IdOperationCSI            Numeric(10),
                             NumeroContrat             Char(12),
                             NumeroOperationCSI        Varchar(50),
                             IdAffectation             Numeric(10),
                             NumeroAffectation         Int,
                             MillesimeAffectation      Int,
                             CodeOrdonnateur           Int,
                             ValeurMontantEngagement   Numeric(15, 2),
                             NumeroChapitre            Int,
                             NumeroArticle             Int,
                             IdContrat                 Numeric(10)   NULL,
                             CodeStatutNDL             Char(3)       NULL)

INSERT    #OperationCSI
 SELECT    O.IdOperationCSI,
              NumeroContrat,
              Max(E.CodeMinistere + "-" + SubString(Convert(VarChar(10),
E.CodeOrdonnateur), 3, 2) + "-"
              + Convert(VarChar(5), Replicate("0", 2 -
char_length(Convert(VarChar(2), O.MillesimeOperationCSI)))
              + Convert(Char(2), O.MillesimeOperationCSI)) + "-"
              + Replicate("0", 5 - Char_length(Convert(Varchar(10),
O.NumeroOperationCSI))) + Convert(Varchar(10), O.NumeroOperationCSI)),
              E.IdAffectation,
              E.NumeroAffectation,
              E.MillesimeAffectation,
              E.CodeOrdonnateur,
              Sum(ValeurMontantEngagement),
              E.NumeroChapitre,
              E.NumeroArticle,
              E.IdContrat,
              CodeStatutNDL
    FROM      eng2               E,
              OperationInterneCSI OI,
              OperationCSI        O
    WHERE     E.IdOperationInterne = OI.IdOperationInterne
      AND     OI.IdOperationCSI    = @IdOperationCSI
      AND     E.IdAffectation      = @IdAffectation
      AND     OI.IdOperationCSI    = O.IdOperationCSI
      AND     O.CodeOrdonnateur    = @CodeOrdonnateur
    GROUP BY  E.IdContrat,
              E.NumeroContrat,
              O.MillesimeOperationCSI,
              O.NumeroOperationCSI,
              E.CodeOrdonnateur,
              E.IdAffectation,
              E.NumeroChapitre,
              E.NumeroArticle,
              E.NumeroAffectation,
              E.MillesimeAffectation,
              O.IdOperationCSI,
              E.CodeMinistere,
              E.CodeStatutNDL
    HAVING    Sum(ValeurMontantEngagement) <> 0
    ORDER BY  E.CodeMinistere,
              DatePart(Year, "01/01/" + Convert(Char(2),
O.MillesimeOperationCSI)),
              O.NumeroOperationCSI

I hope that you will succeed in understanding why this is happening.

Thanks

"Aditya Gurajada" <aditya.gurajada@sybase.com> a �crit dans le message news:
3CE95A72.465F810B@sybase.com...
> Hi Fabien DUBOIS,
>
> > After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears
> > when I try to execute a strore procedure :
> >
> > Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds
the
> > maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query (return status
= -6).

> > Is it a bug on ASE 12.5? Why could I run correctly this procedure on the
old
> > version
>
> If you could run the sproc in 120x, and without any
> changes this sproc runs into this error, that is a bug,
> and needs more analysis/info to figure out what is going
> wrong. I'm interested in following this up so that we can
> understand why this is happening.
>
> Could you please post the full error message with
> the Msg #, severity, state? That would help us find out
> where from in the code this message is being raised. (You
> are probably getting 255/16/1, from code inspection.)
>
> Also, would you be able to extract out the SQL fragment
> that is causing this error? I'm assuming you have access
> to sproc code, and could dovetail your investigation to the
> one SQL statement that causes this problem.
>
> The message is telling that the estimated size of a
> row in a worktable created for a GROUP BY query was too
> large to fit in a 2K page size. Maybe you can eye-ball
> your GROUP BY queries in the sproc to narrow down the
> offending one. A table schema would help fix the column/
> row lengths involved in the query.
>
> Thanks,
> -- Aditya.

0
Fabien
5/21/2002 1:43:26 PM
I did a migration. If I run "dbcc upgrade_object" manually, DBCC prints :
"Execution completed". No error messages appear on the screen.

Thank you for your help.

Fabien DUBOIS

"Anthony Mandic" <sp_am_block@start.com.au> a �crit dans le message news:
3CE4C4E3.3EEECDB8@start.com.au...
> Fabien DUBOIS wrote:
> >
> > After migration from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5, the following error appears
> > when I try to execute a strore procedure :
> >
> > Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds
the
> > maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query (return status
= -6).

> > Is it a bug on ASE 12.5? Why could I run correctly this procedure on the
old
> > version?
>
> Did you actually do a migration or an upgrade? That is, did you
> load this sproc in? What happens if you run "dbcc upgrade_object"
> manually?
>
> -am � 2002

0
Fabien
5/21/2002 1:55:47 PM

> "Server Message:  Number  255, Severity  16
>  Procedure 'S_ListeEngagementAEnvoyerNDL', Line 150:
>  Size of row in the worktable for grouped aggregate, 16542 bytes, exceeds
> the maximum row size (1962 bytes). Cannot run this query.
>  (return status = -6) "

OK, this is just as was expected.

> I'm sending you the SQL fragment of the sproc that causes this error and the
> worktable schema I use.

The worktable definition is fine, (i.e. no wide columns, so
that should not be the source of the problem).

I think the problem is occuring in your SELECT statement.

If you were to run the SELECT by itself, you should get the
same problem, as the worktable created for ORDER BY / GROUP BY
is the one where this error is coming from. Can you please confirm
that for me?

What we need (now) is the table definitions for :

eng2, OperationInterneCSI and  OperationCSI  tables.

This will help reconstruct the lengths of various fields
that are going into the output from the SELECT into the
worktable. Just the table definition should suffice; index
definitions are not needed (at least for now).

Btw -- how widespread is this problem in your application?
Is it the case that just one sproc has run into this, or does
this show up in multiple sprocs?

Another thing -- I'm assuming that even if you were to drop and
recreate the offending sproc, the problem does not go away. Can
you confirm that please? (This would indicate that it is not a
problem with the pre-12.5 compiled object, but rather the logic
that goes into computing these row lengths.)

Perhaps we should take this offline. You can mail back to
me at aditya.gurajada@sybase.com with the above info, and I'll
summarise any findings back in this newsgroup.

Thanks,
-- Aditya.

> INSERT    #OperationCSI
>  SELECT    O.IdOperationCSI,
>               NumeroContrat,
>               Max(E.CodeMinistere + "-" + SubString(Convert(VarChar(10),
> E.CodeOrdonnateur), 3, 2) + "-"
>               + Convert(VarChar(5), Replicate("0", 2 -
> char_length(Convert(VarChar(2), O.MillesimeOperationCSI)))
>               + Convert(Char(2), O.MillesimeOperationCSI)) + "-"
>               + Replicate("0", 5 - Char_length(Convert(Varchar(10),
> O.NumeroOperationCSI))) + Convert(Varchar(10), O.NumeroOperationCSI)),
>               E.IdAffectation,
>               E.NumeroAffectation,
>               E.MillesimeAffectation,
>               E.CodeOrdonnateur,
>               Sum(ValeurMontantEngagement),
>               E.NumeroChapitre,
>               E.NumeroArticle,
>               E.IdContrat,
>               CodeStatutNDL
>     FROM      eng2               E,
>               OperationInterneCSI OI,
>               OperationCSI        O
>     WHERE     E.IdOperationInterne = OI.IdOperationInterne
>       AND     OI.IdOperationCSI    = @IdOperationCSI
>       AND     E.IdAffectation      = @IdAffectation
>       AND     OI.IdOperationCSI    = O.IdOperationCSI
>       AND     O.CodeOrdonnateur    = @CodeOrdonnateur
>     GROUP BY  E.IdContrat,
>               E.NumeroContrat,
>               O.MillesimeOperationCSI,
>               O.NumeroOperationCSI,
>               E.CodeOrdonnateur,
>               E.IdAffectation,
>               E.NumeroChapitre,
>               E.NumeroArticle,
>               E.NumeroAffectation,
>               E.MillesimeAffectation,
>               O.IdOperationCSI,
>               E.CodeMinistere,
>               E.CodeStatutNDL
>     HAVING    Sum(ValeurMontantEngagement) <> 0
>     ORDER BY  E.CodeMinistere,
>               DatePart(Year, "01/01/" + Convert(Char(2),
> O.MillesimeOperationCSI)),
>               O.NumeroOperationCSI
0
Aditya
5/21/2002 8:04:03 PM
> If you were to run the SELECT by itself, you should get the
> same problem, as the worktable created for ORDER BY / GROUP BY
> is the one where this error is coming from. Can you please confirm
> that for me?

You're right. Running the SELECT by itself causes the same problem.

Here are the table definitions for eng2, OperationInterneCSI and
OperationCSI  tables.

eng2 ( IdEngagement Numeric(10, 0),
          IdOperationCSI Numeric(10, 0)        NULL,
          CodeMinistere Char(3),
          IdAffectation Numeric(10, 0),
          IdContrat Numeric(10, 0)                 NULL,
          NumeroContrat VarChar(30),
          CodeOrdonnateur Int,
          IdOperationInterne Numeric(10, 0) NULL,
          NumeroAffectation Int,
          MillesimeAffectation Int,
          ValeurMontantEngagement Numeric(15, 2),
          NumeroChapitre Int,
          NumeroArticle Int,
          CodeStatutNDL Char(2))

OperationInterneCSI (IdOperationCSI Numeric(10, 0),
                               IdOperationInterne Numeric(10, 0))

OperationCSI (IdOperationCSI Numeric(10, 0),
                        NumeroOperationCSI int,
                        MillesimeOperationCSI int,
                        LibelleOperationCSI varchar(255)        NULL,
                        CodeOrdonnateur int,
                        IdAffectation Numeric(10, 0),
                        CodeMinistere int         NULL,
                        CodeComptableAC int         NULL,
                        CodeOrdoPrincipal int     NULL)

> Btw -- how widespread is this problem in your application?
> Is it the case that just one sproc has run into this, or does
> this show up in multiple sprocs?

Only a few sprocs (about 4-5) are affected by this problem in my
application.

> Another thing -- I'm assuming that even if you were to drop and
> recreate the offending sproc, the problem does not go away. Can
> you confirm that please? (This would indicate that it is not a
> problem with the pre-12.5 compiled object, but rather the logic
> that goes into computing these row lengths.)

I can confirm that as well.

Thank you for your help.

Fabien DUBOIS

"Aditya Gurajada" <aditya.gurajada@sybase.com> a �crit dans le message news:
3CEAA833.8A76A522@sybase.com...

> [...]
> >               OperationCSI        O
> >     WHERE     E.IdOperationInterne = OI.IdOperationInterne
> >       AND     OI.IdOperationCSI    = @IdOperationCSI
> >       AND     E.IdAffectation      = @IdAffectation
> >       AND     OI.IdOperationCSI    = O.IdOperationCSI
> >       AND     O.CodeOrdonnateur    = @CodeOrdonnateur
> >     GROUP BY  E.IdContrat,
> >               E.NumeroContrat,
> >               O.MillesimeOperationCSI,
> >               O.NumeroOperationCSI,
> >               E.CodeOrdonnateur,
> >               E.IdAffectation,
> >               E.NumeroChapitre,
> >               E.NumeroArticle,
> >               E.NumeroAffectation,
> >               E.MillesimeAffectation,
> >               O.IdOperationCSI,
> >               E.CodeMinistere,
> >               E.CodeStatutNDL
> >     HAVING    Sum(ValeurMontantEngagement) <> 0
> >     ORDER BY  E.CodeMinistere,
> >               DatePart(Year, "01/01/" + Convert(Char(2),

0
Fabien

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3, inplace upgrade issues
Hi We have migrated one of the Sun boxes running ASE 11.9.2 on Solaris 2.8 to ASE 12.5.0.3 ESD#3 . We did a inplace upgrade. The "sqlupgrade" utility did all pre-checks and came out clean and did the migration and it came out with a "Done" message.But it gave a message saying that the server couldnt be brought up, and seeing the error log we have seen the shared memory was a problem and we chaged the value and the server came up fine when we brought it up manually using the 12.5.0.3 binaries. Few issues which are stopping us to proceed further.. Issue 1) T...

Migration : ASE V12 (HP UX 11) to ASE V 12.5.3 (AIX 5.3)
Hi, I have to migrate a DB ASE 12.0.0.8 from HP (HP UX 11) to ASE 12.5.3 (IBM AIX 5.3) here are the characteristics: HP UX ------ The default Unix charset on the platform is Roman8. The ASE/db Charset is UTF8 AIX (5.3) --- The default Unix charset on the platform is Iso The ASE/db Charset will be UTF8 Someone told me Cross-platform DUMP/RELOAD is not possible. note that I didn't try it yet, but i will. Does anyone know about that ? If this is not possible i'll have to use 'bcp' IN/OUT i guess ? but i dont know exactly what syntax i should use w...

Migration : ASE V12 (HP UX 11) to ASE V 12.5.3 (AIX 5.3)
Hi, I have to migrate a DB ASE 12.0.0.8 from HP (HP UX 11) to ASE 12.5.3 (IBM AIX 5.3) here are the characteristics: HP UX ------ The default Unix charset on the platform is Roman8. The ASE/db Charset is UTF8 AIX (5.3) --- The default Unix charset on the platform is Iso The ASE/db Charset will be UTF8 Someone told me Cross-platform DUMP/RELOAD is not possible. note that I didn't try it yet, but i will. Does anyone know about that ? If this is not possible i'll have to use 'bcp' IN/OUT i guess ? but i dont know exactly what syntax i should use w...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.4 upgrade path
I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate upgrade to be performed in between? Take a look at the release bulletins and installation guides for your platform. These are the first steps to any upgrade. http://sybooks.sybase.com/nav/detail.do?docset=1287 <passerby> wrote in message news:484e9ca8.3f0d.1681692777@sybase.com... >I would like to know if the migration from ASE 12.5.0.3 to > 12.5.4 a direct migration or is there an intermediate > upgrade to be performed in between? ...

Upgrade 11.0.3.3 to ASE 11.9.2 with RepServer 11.5 and LTMs
I am preparing to upgrade our production servers (11.0.3.3) using RepServer 11.5 with LTMs. My understanding is that the ASE 11.9.2 has RepAgents build in as Open Server applications. Are there any issues with upgrading that I need to be aware of? Where would I look? I would assume that I don't need to run LTMs anymore, but I need to ensure no loss of replication to the warm standby. Any advice? Take care. JCS ASE 11.5+ has RepAgent built in as internal server threads (which has nothing to do with OpenServer). When upgrading, keep the LTM's and upgrade to RS 11.5 / ...

upgrade ASE from 11.0.3.3 to 11.9.2 on AIX
Hi, We are planning to upgrade our SQL Server 11.0.3.3 servers to ASE 11.9.2. We have 6 production servers on one UNIX box and (almost) corresponding test servers on another UNIX box. We have little new development, so we should have enough time to test things out first on the TEST platform. I am trying to decide between upgrading the servers in place or doing new installs and migrating the data over to the new servers. The upgrades in place would be a lot easier on me and the UNIX support people, but I am not sure how much more difficult fallback would be. If we needed to fall...

upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4
What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 or 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 Thanks, liyp liy wrote: > What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? > > 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 > > or > > 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 > I did #2. At one point I considered upgrading to 15.0.2 GA and then to ESD#4, but the $SYBASE/ASE/upgrade/upgrade program looks to b...

Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Solaris 5.6
Does anyone have problems upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.0 on Solaris 5.6. I know that are issues with upgrading on Solaris 2.5, but what about Solaris 5.6? Thanks, Hang ...

Upgrade from ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5
we are on solaris 8 and would like to upgrade from 11.9 to 12.5. our dba is left and i need to do this. i very novice in dba skill. can someone give me exact stepps how to do this? i read other post but dont under stand where to start. also what is meaning of inplace upgrade?thanks SybaseDeveloper wrote... > we are on solaris 8 and would like to upgrade from 11.9 to 12.5. > our dba is left and i need to do this. i very novice in dba skill. > can someone give me exact stepps how to do this? i read other post but dont > under stand where to start. also what is meaning of i...

Upgrade from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-2-dub3ff97039 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, I've just upgraded from ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 12.5.1. I tried to start the server, but it won't startup. Here is the message: sybase(ASE1250)328 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> startserver -f RUN_AMXDB sybase(ASE1250)329 /app/sybase/ASE-12_5/install --> 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 kernel Use license file /app/sybase/SYSAM-1_0/licenses/license.dat. 00:00000:00000:2004/01/05 21:37:44.10 ker...

Vulnerability of ASE 12.5.2 vs ASE 12.5.3 ESD#3
Recently, Application Security, Inc. has run a vulnerability test on our ASE12.5.2. The program gave a 'high risk' on the ASE12.5.2 and suggested we install the latest Sybase patch 12.5.3 ESD#3. I have some question on the recommendation. 1. The latest patch is definitely not 12.5.3 ESD#3. Why did the program recommend 12.5.3 ESD#3? Isn't 12.5.4 better than 12.5.3? 2. Is it practical to keep up with the latest releases or patches? Now if we upgrade to 12.5.4 and then rerun the vulnerability test, will the program suggest that newer version is better with respect to s...

Web resources about - Upgrading ASE 11.9.2 to ASE 12.5 on Aix 4.3.3 - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

Mac Spoofed: Upgrading [Low Quality]
PC teaches Mac about the benefits of upgradability.

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Looks like Labor's upgrading from Tarago to minibus
The people of Stafford have done the rest of Queensland a favour by electing Dr Anthony Lynham.

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube