Upgrade Problems (ASE 15.02 ESD#5 to ASE 15.03)

Hello there

I recently tried to upgrade to ASE 15.03. Downloaded the
file ase1503_linx86_32.tgz via wget from the product
download center, gunzip'ed it into a directory and tried to
./setup -console it.

During the setup script I got presented with the following
Java Stacktrace:

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "rpm":
java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
at
com.sybase.ismp.ase.LinuxDistro.getGlibcVersion(LinuxDistro.java:34)

Now, the setup script ran through, so when I start my sybase
servers the database is trying to upgrade, regardless of
what worked and didn't work on the sybase installation... So
I'm stuck now with some half-updated sybase installation.

Can someone point me into the right direction? Is there
maybe something wrong with my Linux Distribution?

I did an upgrade on the same distribution before without a
problem (ase1502_linx86_32.tgz)

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sascha Kaestle
0
Sascha
12/23/2008 4:34:41 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 08:34:41 -0800,  wrote:

> Hello there
>
> I recently tried to upgrade to ASE 15.03. Downloaded the
> file ase1503_linx86_32.tgz via wget from the product
> download center, gunzip'ed it into a directory and tried to
> ./setup -console it.
>
> During the setup script I got presented with the following
> Java Stacktrace:
>
> java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "rpm":
> java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory

I'm guessing that the setup program is trying to install some rpm package,
but that for some reason you don't have the rpm binary in the path (or
maybe it's using rpm to check that you have the correct version of some
package)

> Now, the setup script ran through, so when I start my sybase
> servers the database is trying to upgrade, regardless of
> what worked and didn't work on the sybase installation... So
> I'm stuck now with some half-updated sybase installation.

Actually I don't think that you have a half upgraded installation - check
the version of the dataserver, etc. binaries. I think you should be able
to proceed without problems (i.e. upgrade the databases, run
installmaster, etc)

Michael

0
Michael

When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too?
When upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.x, what is the best version to upgrade too? Dear All, I'm currently working on a ASE 15 upgrade project (upgrading from ASE 12.5.x). I'm trying to decide what version of ASE 15 we should upgrade to. What are your thoughts? Which version is the safest bet (ASE 15.0, ASE 15.0.1, ASE 15.0.2, ASE 15.0.3 or ASE 15.5)? Which ASE version is considered, at this time, the most mature and reliable version (i.e. with the least amount of known bugs, least amount of upgrade issues, etc.)? If applicable, please also give the most recomm...

ASE 12.5.0.3 to ASE 15.02 EBF2 upgrade
Hello All, I'm testing my upgrade from Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.3/EBF 12600 ESD#3/P/Linux Intel/Enterprise Linux/ase1253/1911/32-bit/ to Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.2/EBF 15101 ESD#2/P/x86_64/Enterprise Linux/ase1502/2516/64-bit/FBO/Thu Dec 20 01:26:11 2007 OS: RHEL 5 so far some db are been upgraded nice some I have issues , here is one of my error: ( mentioned this db has replicated tables from other site) Any tips ? 1>online database hstspss 2> go Started estimating recovery log boundaries for database 'hstspss'. Database 'hst...

upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4
What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 or 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 Thanks, liyp liy wrote: > What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? > > 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 > > or > > 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 > I did #2. At one point I considered upgrading to 15.0.2 GA and then to ESD#4, but the $SYBASE/ASE/upgrade/upgrade program looks to b...

Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)?
Are there any common errors / issues related to using the dump/load strategy vs. sqlupgrade utility for upgrade/migration to ASE 15.x (from ASE 12.5.x)? Hi everyone, I've been reading posts on this discussion thread to try to see if I can find any disadvantage of using the dump/load strategy vs. using the sqlupgrade utility (i.e. common errors / issues). I noticed that some have run into errors after the upgrade/migration when using system stored procedure(s). So this sparked a few questions... 1) Is one upgrade/migration strategy prone to more errors and issues than ...

Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0
Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 without any problems? According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What should I do instead? Deborah, Brown wrote: > Can I upgrade my ASE Server 12.5.3 ESD #3 to ASE15.0 > without any problems? > > According to a ESD #2 notice, if I do this it may regress > the bug compatibility?. What exactly does that mean? What > should I do instead? It means that most of the bugs fixed in 12.5.3 ESDs haven't yet been forward-ported to 15.0....

Upgrade to ASE 15..0.3 from ASE 12.5.4
I'm currently planning to do an upgrade in place from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15.0.3 using sqlupgrade(res) utility. Does it just run the installmaster and instmsgs.ebf scripts ? Will I have to manually run the rest of the scripts i.e. installsecurity, installdbccdb etc.? Also in ran the preupgrade program against my old server - the main errors it came up with were: Stored Procedure '' uses deprecated builtin functions as: 'rowcnt', which should be changed to 'row_count'. It doesn't show the stored procedures name - has anyone had this problem ? Re...

ASE 12.5 32bit to ASE 15.0 64bit upgrade
What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit on AIX 5.3? The 15.0.1 Installation Guide describes the normal 15.0 upgrade process but then has a terse section towards the end, "Migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit version", that describes other steps. Are these steps in addition to the normal upgrade process (sqlupgrade) or are they in place of sqlupgrade? Do I really have to drop and re-create all compiled objects (step 12 under Method #3: Replacing the binary)? Keith Wonderly wrote: > > What are the steps to upgrade from 12.5 32bit to 15.0 64bit >...

Upgrading from ASE 12.5.x to ASE 15.0.2
Hello all, I have been writing some checklists regarding the Upgrade from ASE12.5.x version to ASE15.0.2 version, and I have to cover some different sceneries. I would like to confirm with you guys, If my thoughts are correct regarding the methods for each situation, and if not, would like some advice from you please. Correct me please if I am wrong. Follow the sceneries and the possible methods for each situation that I need to cover: A) Migrating from ASE 12.5.x 32-bit to ASE 15.0.2 64-bit version of Adaptive Server Enterprise (in this case the page size ...

FW: Ryan Putnam: Upgrading ASE 12.5 to ASE 15 white paper
Ryan Putnam over on ISUG's SIG-ASE mailing list has graciously shared his ASE 12.5 to 15 upgrade document with the rest of us: http://is.gd/fzDT thanks goes to Ryan :) jason ...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration
I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of additional data space !! Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB) ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data space. ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to ad...

After upgrade to ASE 15.5 facing procedure cache problem
Hi, We are in process of upgrading ASE from 15.0.3 to ASE 15.5 After upgrading to ASE 15.5 performance has degrade drastically. Main difference we have seen is sp_sysmon report is showing procedure cache from disk value more than 50%. I have checked all confioguration parameter and they have not changed ( In fact we are allocating more memeory to procedure cache comapre to ASE 15.0.3) Can somebody throw some light where thing could have been gone wrong ??? Thanks Pradip > We are in process of upgrading ASE from 15.0.3 to ASE 15.5 > > After upgrading to ASE 15...

ASE upgrade 12.5.1 to 15 problem in PowerBuilder
Happy New Years everyone. We are in the middle of an ASE upgrade, moving from 12.5.1 to 15. Here are the exact details: Open Client version: Sybase CTISQL Utility/15.0/P-EBF16299 ESD #16/PC Intel/BUILD1500-112/OPT/Sun Oct 12 23:01:12 2008 Current ASE version: Adaptive Server Enterprise/12.5.4/EBF 14651 ESD#6/P/RS6000/AIX 4.3.3/ase1254/2079/32-bit/FBO/Wed Jul 11 06:20:44 2007 Upgrade ASE version: Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 17157 ESD#3/P/x86_64/Enterprise Linux/ase1503/2726/64-bit/FBO/Fri Feb 5 01:42:20 2010 Our PB version is 11.5.1 build 4011 running on WinXP...

Upgrading ASE 15.0.2 -> 15.0.2 ESD #1
Hi, we have a warm-standby replication (Rep Server 15.0.1) and ASE 15.0.2. We want to upgrade our ASE with the latest ESD #1. I it correct if i say that i only need to Stop my replication, follow the upgrade proces for my ASE (active and standby ASE), and then just start my replication again? (so no steps are required for my replication) greetz Pieter FYI, the latest ASE 15.0.2 upgrade is ESD #2 (released about a week ago). If your RSSD is in one of the ASE's that you're preparing to upgrade then yes, you'll want to shutdown repserver before doing the upgrade. (...

Web resources about - Upgrade Problems (ASE 15.02 ESD#5 to ASE 15.03) - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

The problem with celebrity charities
THE world erupted in praise this week for one of the most generous acts in history.

Late Night Open Thread: Problem Solved
... female” from the pin-ups and tattoos favored by the human scum villains at the Mos Eisley cantina… The post Late Night Open Thread: Problem ...

"Old-timers, guys that are 60-plus, have no problem with a gang shower and whatever."
"The Gen X-ers are a little bit more sensitive to what they’re spending and what they’re expecting. And the millennials, these are the special ...

Out-Of-Town Trip In The Nissan LEAF — No Problem
... driving to St. Petersburg, to Tampa, or south to Venice or Englewood is gone. The [&hellip Out-Of-Town Trip In The Nissan LEAF — No Problem ...

E. coli isn’t Chipotle’s only problem
Chipotle's meteoric sales growth moderated even before its E. coli problems surfaced.

How to fix Windows 10 printing problems
... 3.1 and Windows for Workgroups, printer drivers could be particularly vexing. Since then and until the release of Windows 10, printer problems ...

Michigan GOPer Blames School Problems On Black Children
Michigan state Senator Marty Knollenberg decided he'd be a wise guy and blame failing school districts on African-American kids during a debate. ...

Tallahassee Police Finally Admit Problems With Investigation Of Jameis Winston Rape Case
One of the most sinister things that came to light in the Jameis Winston case was how Florida State and local police protected athletes accused ...

The Fuel Cell Vehicle Rollout Has Begun But Infrastructure Remains A Problem
In late October of this year, Toyota finally began U.S. customer deliveries of its long-awaited Mirai fuel cell electric vehicle and by the end ...