Migration from ASE 12.5.3 (Win 32bit) to ASE 15.0.2 (Unix 64 bit) question

Hi,
I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit
server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server.

What steps must I follow?

Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as
intermediate task (consultant advice)?

Thanks,
Lorenzo

My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections,
2.6 Gb of memory...
0
Lorenzo
3/17/2008 1:51:37 PM
sybase.ase.upgrades+migration 687 articles. 0 followers. Follow

With ASE 12.5.3 you're suppose to be able to perform cross platform dump-n-loads (XPDL), where 'cross platform'
basically means different OS's and/or different endian hardware.  This (obviously?) assumes you'll be using the same
dataserver page size as well as character set and sort order.

I haven't done any XPDL's so I don't know how reliable it is.

Shouldn't be too hard to try XPDL to see if it'll work for you, eh?

-----------

Alternatively you could look at a logical dump-n-load solution.

The only commercially available solution that comes to mind is SQLBacktrack.  (There may be others ... *shrug*)

-----------

Another obvious (?) option would be to either use sybmigrate or bcp (though the bcp of master..syslogins may get a
little tricky with regards to the password column).

----------------------------

As for whether or not repserver would be a possible solution, this really comes down to a question of how much downtime
you can live with while you switch over from the old platform to the new platform.

If you can live with your system being down while you try one of the previously mentioned options (ie, XPDL, logical
dump-n-load, bcp) then you don't need repserver.

If you need to keep your system downtime to a minimum (eg, 10-30 minutes), then repserver may be of benefit.

A repserver solution would look something like:

1 - install repserver

2 - create new dataserver/database(s)

3 - add old and new databases to repserver

4 - define repdefs (with autocorrection enabled) and subscriptions

5 - enable the repagent in the primary database; this will allow all new tranactions to be captured by repserver

6 - intialize the new database with a copy of the old database (see previous options = XPDL, logical dump-n-load, bcp);
this is also called 'materialization' in the replication documents

7 - once the new database has been initialized then enable the DSI connection to play all transactions from the old
database into the new database; this should play all transactions starting with those that occurred just prior to the
database initialization process (step #5)

8 - once the new database is in sync then modify the repdef's to disable autocorrection; or if the overhead isn't too
much, leave it on until you switch all database activity over to the new database

9 - switch all applications/users over to the new dataserver

Lorenzo Franchi wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit
> server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server.
>
> What steps must I follow?
>
> Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as
> intermediate task (consultant advice)?
>
> Thanks,
> Lorenzo
>
> My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections,
> 2.6 Gb of memory...
0
Mark
3/17/2008 10:42:28 PM
Lorenzo Franchi wrote:

> I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit
> server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server.

	Solaris would be my choice but Linux should be fine too.

> What steps must I follow?

	Mark's already laid out the possible steps so I won't
	repeat them.

> Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as
> intermediate task (consultant advice)?
>
> My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections,
> 2.6 Gb of memory...

	That's clearly a moderately large server. How many
	databases does your current server have? Are you
	able to migrate the databases in steps?

	One major issue you'll need to consider is that you
	are also upgrading to ASE 15.x as part of the process.

	So the first thing to do is to decide on what platform
	you want, install ASE, configure everything and then
	start doing a lot of testing. You'll need to practice
	your migration plan a few times. The things you need
	to know are how long it will take, what problems you
	can expect and how you can deal with them, what happens
	if you need to fallback to the old server, how much
	downtime can you afford, etc.

-am	� MMVIII
I have used Cross Server Dump/Load many times between solaris and linux
using ASE 12.5.3esd#5. You should have little problem using that feature --
Though I have not used it between version upgrades... You should test that
very well or move one step at a time.

Cory Sane
[TeamSybase Intern]

"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> database; this should play all transactions starting with those that
> occurred just prior to the database initialization process (step #5)
>
> 8 - once the new database is in sync then modify the repdef's to disable
> autocorrection; or if the overhead isn't too much, leave it on until you
> switch all database activity over to the new database
>
> 9 - switch all applications/users over to the new dataserver
>

> Lorenzo Franchi wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I would like to migrate an ASE 12.5.3 on a Microsoft 32-bit
>> server to an ASE 15.0.2 on Linux (or Solaris) 64-bit server.
>>
>> What steps must I follow?
>>
>> Is it a good idea to use a Replication Server 15 as
>> intermediate task (consultant advice)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lorenzo
>>
>> My current ASE has a total size of 350Gb , 2400 connections,

0
Cory

Migration from ASE-64 bits 12.5.0.2 to ASE 64 bits 12.5.3 for AIX 5.3
Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 bits) Thank you kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to > migrate an ASE 12.5.0.2 to ASE 12.5.3 on unix 5.3 ? (64 > bits) > > Thank you Apply 12.5.2 IR then 12.5.3 esd 5. -- Jason L. Froebe http://jfroebe.livejournal.com http://www.propsmart.com Team Sybase On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:18:22 -0800, kamel wrote: > Here there someone to indicate me the road tasks in order to migrate an > ASE 12.5.0.2 ...

Upgrade ASE 12.0/64 bit on AIX 4.3.3 to ASE 12.5.x/64 bit on AIX 5.2
Trying to find what is the supported upgrade path for the above. Going from 12.0/64bit on AIX 4.3.3 to 12.5 (or 12.5.x) 64bit on AIX 5.2. If I put AIX 5.2 , the dataserver binary of 12.0 will not work which is used during the upgrade. If I put 12.5.x on 4.3.3, the dataserver binary will not work beacuse it is new binary for 5.2. Other than backup the databases and load them to the new server, is there a supported how to upgrade? Thanks! ...

Upgrading from ASE (32-bit) 12.0.0.7 on Solaris 2.8 64-bit to ASE(64-bit) 12.5.1 on Solaris 64-bit
Hello all, We are planning to upgrade our ASE servers from a 32-bit ASE 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1 on Solaris 8. Could you please give what are the steps to be taken care and how do I start with ( Do I have to first upgrade to 32-bit12.5.1 and then upgrade to 64-bit ASE 12.5.1, or directly upgrade from 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1 ?). Could you also please point to some documentation (about upgrading 32-bit 12.0.0.7 to 64-bit 12.5.1). Thanks RK ...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

Migrating from ASE 12.0 32-bit to ASE 12.0 64-bit
Has anyone run into any problems migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit? ...

Logins + passwords when migrating from ASE 12.5.4/Linux x86 32bit to ASE 15.0.3/Solaris SPARC 64bit
Hi, I'd like to migrate one of our databases from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15. Source server is running on Linux x86 32bit, target server is Solaris SPARC 64bit. Cross-plattform dump and load works fine. The problem arises with logins/passwords. I've copied the contents of syslogins from the old server to the new one, but I can't log in using one of the manually migrated logins. Checking syslogins, I noticed that the password hashes on ASE 15 look different. Old hashes are just 60 characters long, the new ones 84 characters. According to Michael Peppler's ASE on Linux FAQ...

Migration from ASE 12.0 32 bit to ASE 12.x 64 bit
Pundits one and all, We are looking closely at migrating from ASE 12.0.0.4 ESD#2 32 bit on a Solaris platform to 64 bit ASE. Notwithstanding improvements in ASE 12.5 that may benefit us, the main driver is to take maximum advantage of the 16G physical memory on the host. Simplistically we could either ... a) convert to 64 bit ASE 12.0 (as phase 1), then convert to ASE 12.5 64 bit (as phase 2) at a later date, or b) convert to 32 bit ASE 12.5 (as phase 1), then convert at 64 bit after gaining confidence in the version change, c) convert to 64 bit ASE 12.5 in one fell swoop to m...

Linux 64 bits migration ASE-12.5.4 --> 15.0.2
Hello We are in the process to migrate from 12.5.4 to 15.0.2 on a Linux 64 bits machine the 15.0.2 installation ran well and the bases started. Now we are trying to dump all the 12.5.4 bases ( works ok ) and load dump files into the 15.0.2 server, some of the bases are broken ... Any infos/links welcome Thank you Frank You may want to consider posting some details (eg, dump/load commands, associated errors, @@version strings). Alternatively you could open a case with Sybase TechSupport. Frank Bonnet wrote: > Hello > > We are in the process to migrate from ...

upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4
What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 or 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 Thanks, liyp liy wrote: > What are the correct steps to upgrade from ASE 12.5.3 to 15.0.2#4? > > 1. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0, then from ASE 15.0 to ASE 15.0.2#4 > > or > > 2. Upgrade ASE 12.5.3 to ASE 15.0.2 ESD#4 > I did #2. At one point I considered upgrading to 15.0.2 GA and then to ESD#4, but the $SYBASE/ASE/upgrade/upgrade program looks to b...

Re:Linux 64 bits migration ASE-12.5.4 --> 15.0.2

Can I use ASE 12.5.2 64-bit license on an ASE 12.5.2 32-bit install
I want to install sybase ASE 12.5.2 on my machine (2GB of memory) but my license certificate has a 64 bit license only. Can I use the 64-bit license on my 32 bit ASE 12.5.2 installation? thanks Gemma No you cannot > I want to install sybase ASE 12.5.2 on my machine (2GB of > memory) but my license certificate has a 64 bit license > only. > > Can I use the 64-bit license on my 32 bit ASE 12.5.2 > installation? > > thanks > Gemma ...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 15 Migration
I have a master database with size of 10 MB. When I run preupgrd.exe to check the upgrade validation, exe fails with a note add atleast 7 MB of additional data space !! Its known fact master db cannot grow out of master device, the left option takes both data and log when I use alter database. I re-checked preupgrd.exe to validate the upgrade process again its giving same message (I altered master database to the maximum of 40M from 10 MB) ***ERROR: alter database master to add at least 7 MB of data space. ***ERROR: alter database tempdb to ad...

ASE 12.5.2 to ASE 12.5.0.3
Hello, I have to return to ASE 12.5.0.3 from ASE 12.5.2. I created a new server and did a dump/load of a user database and that seems to be fine. Is this a safe way to downgrade ? Is it necessary to create a new server (master database) or should it also be possible to shutdown the 12.5.2 server and start it again with the 12.5.0.3 binary ? Thanks, Luc. ...

Web resources about - Migration from ASE 12.5.3 (Win 32bit) to ASE 15.0.2 (Unix 64 bit) question - sybase.ase.upgrades+migration

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bacterium in Otzi the Iceman's stomach provides human migration clues
An insight into the peopling of Europe has emerged from an unlikely source: the stomach contents of a 5300-year-old body pulled from a thawing ...

Danger ahead: migration, climate top risks for Davos leaders
But China's turbulent markets, a tumbling oil price and Middle East tensions are likely to dominate corridor conversations at the World Economic ...

Sydney Festival review: The Migration's brilliance undermined by flawed sound
Australian jazz made a welcome return to Sydney Festival with the premiere of Stu Hunter's new suite.

Is Apple really building an iOS to Android migration tool?
Apple is rumored to be working on a tool that will make it easier for iOS users to migrate to Android, following pressure from major European ...

Austrian Bank Shuts Down Account of Anti-Mass Migration Group
Major Austrian bank Erste Bank has shut down the account of the Austrian Identitarian movement according to a press release from the activist ...

Sex assaults inflame Germany’s migration battle
Scores of alleged sexual assaults against German women have added another dimension to the country’ s fraught debate over migration. The FT reports. ...

Apple iOS 9.3 download and the mystery of Android migration
The Apple iOS 9.3 download is now available (a beta, natch). Richi rounds up the interesting features, but also ponders the rumor that Cupertino ...

Ötzi the Iceman's Gut Bacteria Can Help Us Trace Early Human Migration
... A multidisciplinary team of scientists at European Academy of Bozen have studied Ötzi’s gut bacteria to learn more about early human migration ...

Iceman's gut microbes shed light on human migration - GlobalPost
... microbes of the Iceman, a 5,300-year-old mummy found frozen in a European glacier in 1991, have shed new light on the history of human migration, ...